ADVERTISEMENT

Very quick stuff (JCS exhibition)...

Please do not get Grover started. LOL !!! 😉
Too late…..Caleb “the leader of men” Love can do it all. He can easily lead the ACC in assist from the 2 position. Can’t have RJ or Trimble playing the 2….they are too small and Trimble don’t have a good 3ball yet.

Love can play the 1, 2, or 3. Just let Love lead the way.

I'm not sure why people are obsessed with "who is going to be the next Manek" when the answer is pretty much: NOONE!

Last year's line-up is gone. Even the players who came back are different (hopefully, and it seems so far, for the best)

So looking to plug a 6-8 shooter into the "4 and calling him Manek won't work. Hubert has to work with the players he has this year, not the guy shooting threes over in Perth.

Nance brings with him a whole different skill set and that will need to mesh with the other players, both returning and new, ditto for all the freshmen too. How those line-ups work together will determine how far this year's team goes. And that will depend on how well Hubert coaches the players he has now, instead of trying to clone a former player.

All that said, if he had the magical fairy dust to turn Nickel into Manek, wouldn't he use that fairy dust to turn Styles into the second coming of MJ, or Dunn into Ford? (touch of humour there in case you don't get it)

I'm not sure why people are obsessed with "who is going to be the next Manek" when the answer is pretty much: NOONE!

Last year's line-up is gone. Even the players who came back are different (hopefully, and it seems so far, for the best)

So looking to plug a 6-8 shooter into the "4 and calling him Manek won't work. Hubert has to work with the players he has this year, not the guy shooting threes over in Perth.

Nance brings with him a whole different skill set and that will need to mesh with the other players, both returning and new, ditto for all the freshmen too. How those line-ups work together will determine how far this year's team goes. And that will depend on how well Hubert coaches the players he has now, instead of trying to clone a former player.

All that said, if he had the magical fairy dust to turn Nickel into Manek, wouldn't he use that fairy dust to turn Styles into the second coming of MJ, or Dunn into Ford? (touch of humour there in case you don't get it)
What we need is more Love and less hate in the world.

I am glad we are done playing peeps out of position even if it is to give them what they demand! The player's skill set, size, strength, and team needs should determine position! KIds need to learn that team needs always come first!

C'mon D. Tyler has been an overgrown Wing going back to his VA days playing single-A HS ball vs guys 6"-to-a-foot shorter. Comparing apples-to-apples, he's no more a 4 than Buddy Boeheim is. And that's is absolutely fine.
I have said all along he is a wing (3) but if he fits another position that he fits the 4 much better than the 2. Now guys play out of their best positions all the time on this team much of that will be driven by the depth numbers we have.

Do you believe Caleb will be caught with his head turned in the wrong direction this year on defense? Not saying he's a defensive liability but there were instances last year, not sure everyone noticed it.
I think the way I would put it is that Caleb has the ability to be a really great defender but he is not always focused on that aspect, speaking in terms of ALL of last season. He looked to be a guy that needed his offense rolling before he locked in defensively and that has been a concern. I did get glimpses that his game may have matured this off season, loved his looking for the assist in this exhibition game rather than forcing something that was not there. I felt as if he defended more consistently than last season but that may not be accurate considering the opposition was so weak.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Caleb has already shown me he is concentrating on proper shot selection and developing his lead guard chops! I'm convinced he will be a lockdown defender and a real problem on O! If this happens, we'll have a basketful of perimeter players that can cause misery on D! (Caleb, RJ, Dunn, Trimble, Leaky) + some serious wing D (Puff, Trez, McKoy) + Monsters down low in Nance and Bacot! (Once Washington is healthy) our entire squad could be + defenders! Nickel is intentionally left out because he will need to get up to speed on D and I expect most of his contribution on O early on!

Caleb will make All ACC defensive team easily.
Let’s congratulate him now!
Caleb “ The Leader of Men” Love

Nickel played mainly the 3 in the exhibition, and one stretch where he played the 2. He played no minutes at the 4 even with McKoy, Washington, and Puff all held out.

I tried to tell people Nickel is being groomed to be a 2/3 wing. That's literally what the coaching staff is doing in practice. And they are recruiting more and more PFs like Zayden High and Jarin Stevenson that they intend to keep a depth chart stocked with talent, ensuring Nickel never has to play out of position at PF.
Love the way you ended that, " ensuring Nickel never has to play out of position at PF.", while trying to spin him as a 2? Kid is a 3/4, that is what he is, a 6'8" 220lbs wing 3 that can swing to the 4 if needed. Does that mean he never takes the court as a 2, no, he played a few minutes at the 2 fri night, he played out of position. PJ started second half of a season for us at the 4, want to try to convince me PJ was a 4?

Rather than argue about this, why don't we explore why Nickel may be getting some 2 guard minutes? It is really kind of simple, we have a LOT of talent at the 3 and the 4. I very strongly believe that once Washington begins to play, the 4 spot will be dominated by Nance and Washington, there simply will not be many minutes available behind those 2. The wing, Leaky starts, Puff (if he can get and stay healthy) eats up those back up minutes, and what few minutes are left at the and the, gets taken by Styles. That effectively means, if Nickel is so talented that he gets PT, then you have to play him at the 5, 2, or point and there is no way he plays the 5 or the point.

You could well ask, in the exhibition, Puff, McKoy, and Washington were out so why didn't he get any run at the 4? Couple reasons, first is that Hubert is looking to get Bacot and Nance on the floor together as much as he can, he had them on the same team in the blue white game for that very reason. Bacot has had a different running mate in every one of his seasons with us and Hubert wants to get them comfortable playing off each other. Back up at the 4 went more to Styles which is not surprising considering Styles has experience now. Also realize that RJ was out for this game and that lowered the 4 man back court rotation down to 3, with Dunn making his first start as Caleb started at the point. If any surprise happened it was Trimble not starting but it looked like Hubert wanted to ease Trimble in more at the point and not over load him trying to play 2 positions, smart coaching.

WE always see odd combinations this time of the year so to see a kid playing out of position to get minutes should not surprise any of us.

Love the way you ended that, " ensuring Nickel never has to play out of position at PF.", while trying to spin him as a 2? Kid is a 3/4, that is what he is, a 6'8" 220lbs wing 3 that can swing to the 4 if needed. Does that mean he never takes the court as a 2, no, he played a few minutes at the 2 fri night, he played out of position. PJ started second half of a season for us at the 4, want to try to convince me PJ was a 4?

Rather than argue about this, why don't we explore why Nickel may be getting some 2 guard minutes? It is really kind of simple, we have a LOT of talent at the 3 and the 4. I very strongly believe that once Washington begins to play, the 4 spot will be dominated by Nance and Washington, there simply will not be many minutes available behind those 2. The wing, Leaky starts, Puff (if he can get and stay healthy) eats up those back up minutes, and what few minutes are left at the and the, gets taken by Styles. That effectively means, if Nickel is so talented that he gets PT, then you have to play him at the 5, 2, or point and there is no way he plays the 5 or the point.

You could well ask, in the exhibition, Puff, McKoy, and Washington were out so why didn't he get any run at the 4? Couple reasons, first is that Hubert is looking to get Bacot and Nance on the floor together as much as he can, he had them on the same team in the blue white game for that very reason. Bacot has had a different running mate in every one of his seasons with us and Hubert wants to get them comfortable playing off each other. Back up at the 4 went more to Styles which is not surprising considering Styles has experience now. Also realize that RJ was out for this game and that lowered the 4 man back court rotation down to 3, with Dunn making his first start as Caleb started at the point. If any surprise happened it was Trimble not starting but it looked like Hubert wanted to ease Trimble in more at the point and not over load him trying to play 2 positions, smart coaching.

WE always see odd combinations this time of the year so to see a kid playing out of position to get minutes should not surprise any of us.
Nickel is a stretch 4 already in my opinion…he ain’t no 2guard….his handles are not good enough to be a 2guard. He has length and strength and shooting ability to be a stretch 4.

Also Trimble best position is at the point backing up RJ…..mainly because he can’t shoot from deep like his brother….but he’s quick, can defend, and have some handles.

Reactions: DSouthr
Nickel is a stretch 4 already in my opinion…he ain’t no 2guard….his handles are not good enough to be a 2guard. He has length and strength and shooting ability to be a stretch 4.

Also Trimble best position is at the point backing up RJ…..mainly because he can’t shoot from deep like his brother….but he’s quick, can defend, and have some handles.
Grover, you were doing great until you inferred JP was a shooter? Sorry but I just missed JP being a shooter, he was right there with Leaky as a jump shooter... I do think Trimble can shoot well enough to play the 2 backing up Caleb and I clearly prefer him at the point if RJ is not in there, thou again, Caleb did the best job at the point that I have seen from him in his time at UNC in that exhibition. I had been hearing that his time at Dame Lilliard's (I think this is the right NBA players camp) camp made a huge impression on him, showed him where he needed to expand his over all game, showing him his mindset needed to change in order for him to reach that next level of his game.

Let me explain, last season Caleb really got to the point that he was a fantastic open shot maker, vast majority of his misses came on difficult if not bad shots, open shots he knocked down, just as he did from the free throw line. Problem was he took way more bad shots than he should have. Why, was because he was played to jump shoot, when he drove he to often drove in to multiple defenders and he didn't drive looking for the assist op. But if he drives looking for the assist then defenders have to honor the guy Caleb is looking to slip the ball to, they can not double Caleb. That allows him to have more room to finish at the rim, sell a solid pump fake to have more room for a good look, or force the defenders to draw to him and slips to the open guy, makes him a 3 facet guy rather than 2. PLus, being a knock down free throw guy means you can't even foul him and have a good chance at stopping his scoring. That takes him away from so many bad shots and could well have him scoring more but doing so more efficiently.

Grover, you were doing great until you inferred JP was a shooter? Sorry but I just missed JP being a shooter, he was right there with Leaky as a jump shooter... I do think Trimble can shoot well enough to play the 2 backing up Caleb and I clearly prefer him at the point if RJ is not in there, thou again, Caleb did the best job at the point that I have seen from him in his time at UNC in that exhibition. I had been hearing that his time at Dame Lilliard's (I think this is the right NBA players camp) camp made a huge impression on him, showed him where he needed to expand his over all game, showing him his mindset needed to change in order for him to reach that next level of his game.

Let me explain, last season Caleb really got to the point that he was a fantastic open shot maker, vast majority of his misses came on difficult if not bad shots, open shots he knocked down, just as he did from the free throw line. Problem was he took way more bad shots than he should have. Why, was because he was played to jump shoot, when he drove he to often drove in to multiple defenders and he didn't drive looking for the assist op. But if he drives looking for the assist then defenders have to honor the guy Caleb is looking to slip the ball to, they can not double Caleb. That allows him to have more room to finish at the rim, sell a solid pump fake to have more room for a good look, or force the defenders to draw to him and slips to the open guy, makes him a 3 facet guy rather than 2. PLus, being a knock down free throw guy means you can't even foul him and have a good chance at stopping his scoring. That takes him away from so many bad shots and could well have him scoring more but doing so more efficiently.
DSouthr…..I was saying Trimble cant shoot the 3ball just like his brother couldn’t shoot the 3ball. He inherited the leaping ability and the non-3ball shooting from his brother His release is a little weird.

I think Love will improve in all areas as he has done each year. He’s big, strong, skilled and willing to improve. He looks like a man playing kids.

I think he will be more efficient and average more assist and make all defensive team.

Of course, there will be times when we will need him to go get a bucket and everybody just get the hell out of the way

DSouthr…..I was saying Trimble cant shoot the 3ball just like his brother couldn’t shoot the 3ball. He inherited the leaping ability and the non-3ball shooting from his brother His release is a little weird.

I think Love will improve in all areas as he has done each year. He’s big, strong, skilled and willing to improve. He looks like a man playing kids.

I think he will be more efficient and average more assist and make all defensive team.

Of course, there will be times when we will need him to go get a bucket and everybody just get the hell out of the way
Oh, OK, then I agree completely with the post before then! LOL

I do think Seth will shoot it better than JP did, I think he has a pretty good feel as a shooter but needs to hone in on his mechanics. JP just didn't seem to me to have a great feel as a shooter, JP was more athlete than skill, I think Seth combines being the athlete with some basketball skill already (as ball handler, looks for the assist first, defender, good vision, ect).

It is a bit like Caleb in that Caleb was not nearly the shooter he is today when he got to us as a freshman. He, as so many do now days that are athletically gifted, found it easy to finish above the rim before he got to college that he never really needed to work on his jump shooting. Some what the same with Seth, he will have to work on developing his jump shot but like Caleb has good feel for a shooter just need to work on the stroke to get that consistency (what Caleb did between freshman and soph seasons).

Dunn seems poised to make that freshman to sophomore jump that Roy talked about so often. He looked really good at Live Action and then looked comfortable again tonight. He’s going to get minutes this year in the rotation.

Same with Nickel. He has looked solid both times I’ve seen him and the ability to knock down that open 3 like he has will get you on the court in a HD offense.
I am curious about Nickel. He does seem to be a good shooter, but so was Kerwin and he couldn't get minutes. So I think HD does want more than just shot making. It'll be interesting to see if Nickel can contribute in other ways too.

Caleb definitely improved his outside shoot from a freshman to a sophomore. Hated to see him shoot during his freshman year, as you mentioned he was athletic gifted, which came easy for him in high school. The ones which put in the work over the summer, improve greatly from their freshman to sophomore year. Truly believe Seth will make that jump, never suspected that JP would, and it he did not.

I am curious about Nickel. He does seem to be a good shooter, but so was Kerwin and he couldn't get minutes. So I think HD does want more than just shot making. It'll be interesting to see if Nickel can contribute in other ways too.
I think Nickel is a much more confident player than Kerwin. That confidence will drive him to improve other parts of his game as well. I also think Nickel has a mean/nasty streak that will drive him.

Not so much changing anything between them, other than not try to deploy Pete as if he's the second-coming of Manek. What I've seen already screams that Pete can be WAY more effective inside than he was at NW.

I would love to see he and Mando reprise the ol' Dean Smith interchangeable 4/5 men --- flashing in and out of the "T" post areas, running Hi-Lo entry action, and remember, Mando has shown in camp that he can knock down that spot-up and trail 3 as well. In other words, we could essentially have two "post" guys and two "stretch" guys playing interchangeably.
Nance may be capable inside, but does him playing inside maximize our points per possession on offense? I have a feeling no, and Nance will be playing on the perimeter for the majority of possessions.

When Mando is out and Nance moved to the 5, absolutely. Otherwise the spacing is not there for Nance to operate in the paint, and I'd think you don't want any clogging of a totally dominant Armando inside. Give him a 1-on-1 in the paint or rain 3s when any team dares to double.

I honestly still can't figure out how Manek is not in the NBA. He was pretty much a very poor man's Dirk. That has to have a spot in the NBA imo.
There might be a spot in the NBA for Manek, but come on y'all. I know you said "very poor man's" but still, Dirk was 7 feet tall and a great overall athlete. Brady was not particularly athletic even for college ball and is about 4 inches shorter.

There might be a spot in the NBA for Manek, but come on y'all. I know you said "very poor man's" but still, Dirk was 7 feet tall and a great overall athlete. Brady was not particularly athletic even for college ball and is about 4 inches shorter.
Manek was great towards the end of the year. He shut down Banchero a bunch in our end of season run. I see zero qualm with my assessment.

Apples and grapefruits, gaucho. Kerwin was (almost literally) a one-trick pony.
Tyler is under no such limitations.

Nance may be capable inside, but does him playing inside maximize our points per possession on offense? I have a feeling no, and Nance will be playing on the perimeter for the majority of possessions.

When Mando is out and Nance moved to the 5, absolutely. Otherwise the spacing is not there for Nance to operate in the paint, and I'd think you don't want any clogging of a totally dominant Armando inside. Give him a 1-on-1 in the paint or rain 3s when any team dares to double.
If you read again what I described there's plenty of room. Dean Smith was flexing his Bigs in and out and utilizing their perimeter spot-up long before the shot-clock or 3-pt line. And today there's more space than ever due to the latter, which BTW is why his Zone Offense is more effective now than it ever was.

Except I know for a fact that the staff has played Nickel exclusively at the 2/3 in practice and they are grooming him to play exclusively on the wing. It's not an odd combination. It's not because of any of the excuses you came up with in your lengthy post. It's because the UNC staff has evaluated him and they feel he is exclusively a wing player, and not someone they ever want to ask to bang with a PF or rely on for rebounds.

Also Trimble not starting was not a "surprise" as you claimed. Dunn had been essentially starting in practice for the last couple of weeks. Love had been sitting out with a strained hamstring, so Dunn was filling in with the starters. He's the guy ready to start if one of our starting guards is sitting out. Also, Trimble played both the 1 and 2 in the exhibition game, so it had nothing to do with Coach not wanting to overwhelm him with 2 positions. Trimble has been prepared, and continues to practice, at both backcourt spots.

I love the internet LOL. I'm friends with an assistant, I've attended a recent practice, and I still encounter people who want to lecture me about things they have no personal experience with solely because they can't handle it when the truth wrecks the fictional scenario they have created in their minds.

Happy Halloween. Go Heels.

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
If you read again what I described there's plenty of room. Dean Smith was flexing his Bigs in and out and utilizing their perimeter spot-up long before the shot-clock or 3-pt line. And today there's more space than ever due to the latter, which BTW is why his Zone Offense is more effective now than it ever was.
The hi-low with Bacot and Nance is going to be an amazing offensive weapon this season. And there are so many wrinkles the staff is putting in to the ball screen action too.

Except I know for a fact that the staff has played Nickel exclusively at the 2/3 in practice and they are grooming him to play exclusively on the wing. It's not an odd combination. It's not because of any of the excuses you came up with in your lengthy post. It's because the UNC staff has evaluated him and they feel he is exclusively a wing player, and not someone they ever want to ask to bang with a PF or rely on for rebounds.

Also Trimble not starting was not a "surprise" as you claimed. Dunn had been essentially starting in practice for the last couple of weeks. Love had been sitting out with a strained hamstring, so Dunn was filling in with the starters. He's the guy ready to start if one of our starting guards is sitting out. Also, Trimble played both the 1 and 2 in the exhibition game, so it had nothing to do with Coach not wanting to overwhelm him with 2 positions. Trimble has been prepared, and continues to practice, at both backcourt spots.

I love the internet LOL. I'm friends with an assistant, I've attended a recent practice, and I still encounter people who want to lecture me about things they have no personal experience with solely because they can't handle it when the truth wrecks the fictional scenario they have created in their minds.

Riddle me this Batman. Can Trimble shoot the deep ball with consistency? Peeps on here freak out when they watch one game against a team that my kids high school team would give a hard time. Nance has a less than stellar 3 ball night and people freak out. What’s your thoughts?

Some teams play 4 out with the 4 as a wing also.

I could be wrong, but barring injury, a blowout game, or foul trouble I think Mando and Nance are going to play huge minutes together on the court, and will compliment each other well. Styles as the backup 4.

Nance is a vet who knows how to play, comes from a highly successful college and NBA family, who knows the game. His versatility is a major plus, he can play in or out, a plus passer for a big, he will not be used as a big cloging the lane when playing alongside Mando, but can slip in and out the paint for some high low action.

Again, could be wrong, but I don't see Nickel or Puff logging considerable minutes at the 4 barring a necessity from the earlier scenarios. I see them as Leaky's backup, with a healthy Puff being the minute getter in that role. If Washington can round into form physically by mid season I can see him getting chunk minutes at the 4 though.

Hubert sounded confident his bigs could defend away from the bucket in his interviews. That side of the ball is my biggest concern with that tandem, Hubert seems confident they can handle that aspect. We will see.

The problem with Nickel, Puff and Styles backing up leaky is that they dont have handles…not one of them can handle the ball anywhere near Leaky.
If Washington is not healthy enough….if those three….Nickel is more suited for the fourth with size and strength and attitude.

The problem with Nickel, Puff and Styles backing up leaky is that they dont have handles…not one of them can handle the ball anywhere near Leaky.
If Washington is not healthy enough….if those three….Nickel is more suited for the fourth with size and strength and attitude.
Nickel's handle is actually advanced for a frosh of his size. In contrast, I continue to believe both Puff and Styles are more effictive the closer they play to the paint.

Nickel's handle is actually advanced for a frosh of his size. In contrast, I continue to believe both Puff and Styles are more effictive the closer they play to the paint.
Gary….Styles is a puzzle to me….all the athleticism in the world but somehow is still nervous dribbling the ball. Puff got the outside stroke but lacks strength but is a tough customer. If he can put on 20 pounds of muscle he will play at the next level. But back to Styles…he is more of a 3 man but the nervous ball handling will limit his playing time. Puff will get the minutes as Leaky’s backup. We need our 3 man to knock down the 3ball ,past the ball and play defense….Puff can do all three better than Styles…..but there is some Len Bias somewhere in Styles that itching to come out.

I was not at all surprised by Dunn starting in RJ's absence! I have said since the first time I saw them that Dunn made incredible strides and Trimble isn't yet ready for Prime Time! I do not think D was actually saying it was a surprise though. He was saying peeps probably expected Trimble to go before Dunn, largely because they remember last year's Dunn! Nickel is going to be an excellent piece at some point and I would bet it happens this year! He is a natural 3 and anybody can see it immediately. His versatility and possibly being able to play 2 as well is a plus for the team and could get him some minutes earlier in the season! This is a brilliant move by the coaches because it serves both Nickel and the team! The team gets more depth at one of the only spots that can handle it and Nickel because it gets him more skills to showcase for the league! Trimble will be a great addition off the bench (1 and 2) this year and will make a serious jump, especially in perimeter shooting next season IMO!

What great problems to discuss, even if peeps get a tad too aggressive, for our Tar Heels, no???

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
Gary….Styles is a puzzle to me….all the athleticism in the world but somehow is still nervous dribbling the ball. Puff got the outside stroke but lacks strength but is a tough customer. If he can put on 20 pounds of muscle he will play at the next level. But back to Styles…he is more of a 3 man but the nervous ball handling will limit his playing time. Puff will get the minutes as Leaky’s backup. We need our 3 man to knock down the 3ball ,past the ball and play defense….Puff can do all three better than Styles…..but there is some Len Bias somewhere in Styles that itching to come out.
I think we all see that Styles needs to solidify his handle, but I think the larger issue is approach. He seems to have eschewed rim-rattling in favor of trying to be a perimeter guy. So ok, while it's good he's improved his stroke, Dontrez is ultimately a slasher with ridiculous athleticism, and that's where he could be a game-changer.

Styles is a classic tweener! Improve his handle and he is a great wing; get a bit stronger and he is a dang good 4. Slashing, rebounding, defending, and hitting the occasional 3 may be his niche!

Reactions: Grover Thomas
With another year of seasoning, he could become a force in his junior year. Confidents will improve, as will his experience. There have been suggestion as to what is natural position will be, guess it depends on work habits, and desire.

Well heck then, your saying you have a friend must be true, I read it on the internet...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT