ADVERTISEMENT

Very quick stuff (JCS exhibition)...

gary-7

Hall of Famer
Jan 27, 2003
Parts Unknown
...and this will be brief, as ya don't learn much playing such a physically overmatched opponent.

Honestly, team-wise I was watching for three things going in:
1. Would we indeed reinvigorate the Caroilina transition game?
2. Would we be able to morph from that into half-court offense without scheming space?
3. Would we see any defensive diversity?
Welp, lessee...
1. Happily, YES. Refreshingly, we committed to our core transition concepts early on --- outlet passes, pitching ahead and getting in lanes, and often the results were satisfying, including ball-reversals. Bad news was we got slack in the second half --- less passing ahead, Bigs bringing the ball up, Guards forcing drives, and other such nonsense. Ammunition for a film-room session for sure.
2. The answer was once again YES, but with the caveat that JCS played 90+% Zone, so the swing passes dove-tailed nicely into the space endemically created by Dean's venerable Zone Continuity, which continues to get us open look after open look, Thus the real answer here will hafta wait til we play a Man team to see if we can change over as smoothly.
3. I suspected we might hafta wait for this answer as well, dang it.

Other random observations:
- Speaking of our Zone-O, I really liked the renewed emphasis on utilizing the "short-corner" entry option, one of the most difficult things for Zones to defend. That said, I wanna see more Hi-Lo action. I mean, hell, we're starting a front line of 6'11, 6'10, 6'8. The few times we did it, it was unstoppable.
- I was disappointed with our mid-range efficiency. Those shots are there for the taking --- too many clankers.
- Dunn continues to look like he belongs (despite one really bad transition force in the second half), and should be a staple of the rotation. And speaking of rotation, our guy Nickel looks like he's carved his way into it in at least some capacity, even when everyone is healthy.
- Fans should understand that Nance ain't Brady Manek --- he's an actual Big who yes, can knock down the occasional "pop" or "trail" 3 (better than he did tonight), but the more time he spends in the paint the better, as far as I'm concerned.
- Love did a nice job of keeping the ball moving, and allegedly RJ is cleared to play the opener, which is relieving to hear, because right now they are our PG options. Dunn is best off the ball, and while Trimble is an exciting athlete (especially in transition) and finisher, well... a PG he ain't --- not at this stage anyway.

Finally, man, I'm really hoping Puff's "soreness" doesn't get to be chronic, and I'm hoping to see some multiplicity on defense moving forward, and mostly I'm SURE AS HELL GLAD IT'S BASKETBALL SEASON AGAIN!
:cool:

Last edited:
Good to see them back on the court.

Love had that alpha swagger that gives him that edge.

Totally agree that Dunn looks like he is comfortable at this level now, never looked ready last year to contribute. I like the growth.

Nance brings a ton, he and Mando should complement each other very well.

Seth is going to be FUN !!!! He and Dunn are available to contribute, but if healthy I think Caleb & RJ will play heavy minutes in tandem again, (hopefully a bit less though with the options).

I was a bit surprised with the HEAVY 1st half minutes by Nance, Caleb, and Mando for a exhibition mismatch, but no I'm not complaining, I think they played 18, 18,and 17 minutes respectively in the 1st half?

Trez was actively seeking jump shots, ok I see you. His strength and board presence gives him the inside track to backup the 4 I think.

I to hope Puff is just dealing with a minor thing, he has had a laundry lists of dings so far though. Hopefully his body is equipped as he matures physically to avoid some of those setbacks.

I thought the team looked good, yes, against an overmatched JCS team but it certainly showed, IMO, both continuation from last March/April and improvement in the sophs and some frosh that look ready to compete and contribute. We will be deep which should prove beneficial to team health.
Sometime you see our team in a similar game but like 2009, this group looks ready to win it all.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
This game showed one thing to me…..Love can score, assist, rebound and play defense. He is an Alpha male playing against kids.

I said in the game thread a similar thought, but we crushed a team we were supposed to crush… and after the last few years, that is very exciting and should be celebrated!!
Great teams are supposed to stay focused and destroy opponents… for the first 32 minutes we did (87 points with around 8 minutes left) which is very exciting

...and this will be brief, as ya don't learn much playing such a physically overmatched opponent.

2. Would we be able to morph from that into half-court offense without scheming space?
Welp, lessee...
1. Happily, YES. Refreshingly, we committed to our core transition concepts early on --- outlet passes, pitching ahead and getting in lanes, and often the results were satisfying, including ball-reversals. Bad news was we got slack in the second half --- less passing ahead, Bigs bringing the ball up, Guards forcing drives, and other such nonsense. Ammunition for a film-room session for sure.
2. The answer was once again YES, but with the caveat that JCS played 90+% Zone, so the swing passes dove-tailed nicely into the space endemically created by Dean's venerable Zone Continuity, which continues to get us open look after open look, Thus the real answer here will hafta wait til we play a Man team to see if we can change over as smoothly.

- Speaking of our Zone-O, I really liked the renewed emphasis on utilizing the "short-corner" entry option, one of the most difficult thinngs for Zones to defend. That said, I wanna see more Hi-Lo action. I mean, hell, we're starting a front line of 6'11, 6'10, 6'8. The few times we did it, it was unstoppable.
- I was disappointed with our mid-range efficiency. Those shots are there for the taking --- too many clankers.
- Dunn continues to look like he belongs (despite one really bad transition force in the second half), and should be a staple of the rotation. And speaking of rotation, our guy Nickel looks like he's carved his way into it in at least some capacity, even when everyone is healthy.
- Fans should understand that Nance ain't Brady Manek --- he's an actual Big who yes, can knock down the occasional "pop" or "trail" 3 (better than he did tonight), but the more time he spends in the paint the better, as far as I'm concerned.
- Love did a nice job of keeping the ball moving, and allegedly RJ is cleared to play the opener, which is relieving to hear, because right now they are our PG options. Dunn is best off the ball, and while Trimble is an exciting athlete (especially in transition) and finisher, well... a PG he ain't --- not at this stage anyway.

Finally, man, I'm really hoping Puff's "soreness" doesn't get to be chronic, and I'm hoping to see some multiplicity on defense moving forward, and mostly I'm SURE AS HELL GLAD IT'S BASKETBALL SEASON AGAIN!
Isn't it great that a new season is upon us!

Good summation Gary. I suspect that the answers to some of your questions will have to wait until we play a Div. 1 opponent. What I wanted to see in this exhibition were 3 things.

1. Have the upperclassmen made positive strides on offensive execution?
I think that question was emphatically answered in the way we moved the ball
and Caleb's play, who is showing that he has worked at creating assists. An 8 to 2 ATO is a fantastic beginning for him. Our shot selection has improved, and we are shooting the ball a bit better. Caleb is much more fluid with his game and has packed on some muscle, and that will help him complete drives more efficiently.

2. Are the guy's valuing every possession and mindful of ball security?
One would think so, with only 10 T/O's, however, when keeping in mind the level of competition we faced; I think the jury is still out on this point.

3. Does this squad have the defensive chops to be able to shut down or disrupt our competition's offense?

While they did in this game, as they should have, as JCS was clearly overmatched by our guy's. Again, I have to reserve judgement on this point until we meet and play a Div. 1 opponent.

All in all.., from where I was sitting it was pleasing to see that the talent and coaching is all there and we should have a really good year. In speaking with Hubert, Iwas really glad that he is placing a great deal of importance on the regular season and the ACCT. In other words, he wants his teams win everything. I like that mindset.

Dunn seems poised to make that freshman to sophomore jump that Roy talked about so often. He looked really good at Live Action and then looked comfortable again tonight. He’s going to get minutes this year in the rotation.

Same with Nickel. He has looked solid both times I’ve seen him and the ability to knock down that open 3 like he has will get you on the court in a HD offense.

Dunn seems poised to make that freshman to sophomore jump that Roy talked about so often. He looked really good at Live Action and then looked comfortable again tonight. He’s going to get minutes this year in the rotation.

Same with Nickel. He has looked solid both times I’ve seen him and the ability to knock down that open 3 like he has will get you on the court in a HD offense.
Likewise, Trey looks much more comfortable this year. Having a little success in the NCAAT last year has given him confidence. Trimble looks to be a ball hawk on defense and plays with poise beyond his years. And Tyler is brimming with confidence. As stated, I’d like to see a little more high low action with Nance and Bacot. That could be nigh unstoppable.

Isn't it great that a new season is upon us!

Good summation Gary. I suspect that the answers to some of your questions will have to wait until we play a Div. 1 opponent. What I wanted to see in this exhibition were 3 things.

1. Have the upperclassmen made positive strides on offensive execution?
I think that question was emphatically answered in the way we moved the ball
and Caleb's play, who is showing that he has worked at creating assists. An 8 to 2 ATO is a fantastic beginning for him. Our shot selection has improved, and we are shooting the ball a bit better. Caleb is much more fluid with his game and has packed on some muscle, and that will help him complete drives more efficiently.

2. Are the guy's valuing every possession and mindful of ball security?
One would think so, with only 10 T/O's, however, when keeping in mind the level of competition we faced; I think the jury is still out on this point.

3. Does this squad have the defensive chops to be able to shut down or disrupt our competition's offense?

While they did in this game, as they should have, as JCS was clearly overmatched by our guy's. Again, I have to reserve judgement on this point until we meet and play a Div. 1 opponent.

All in all.., from where I was sitting it was pleasing to see that the talent and coaching is all there and we should have a really good year. In speaking with Hubert, Iwas really glad that he is placing a great deal of importance on the regular season and the ACCT. In other words, he wants his teams win everything. I like that mindset.
Yes to all of the above, and I like the idea of nipping any early thoughts of complacency in the bud.

Likewise, Trey looks much more comfortable this year. Having a little success in the NCAAT last year has given him confidence. Trimble looks to be a ball hawk on defense and plays with poise beyond his years. And Tyler is brimming with confidence. As stated, I’d like to see a little more high low action with Nance and Bacot. That could be nigh unstoppable.
I tell you who is unstoppable….Caleb Love….a man among boys

Grover was waiting for you to respond, glad you did not disappoint us. 👌

Likewise, Trey looks much more comfortable this year.
You and I must have watched different games. Styles didn't make any shots until garbage time, his ball handling has been a major issue in everything from the exhibition to the simple skill drill at Live Action, and the were several times last night he struggled to even grab the ball. His play was pretty disappointing overall, redeemed only by some made shots and stat padding in garbage time.

Reactions: FGS189
The verdict is still out on Styles, he can be an aggressive rebounder, attach the basket, but his handle has never been that great. Have not seen enough to make a judgement on his defensive skills. Will probably be his junior year before we are able to see a complete player, unless something drastic happens over the course of the season.

Reactions: gauchoheel
He did look more confident with his stroke, the questions with his handles coupled with his strength and glass ability is why I think he may get more run as the backup 4. With Puff's slight build and durability history, and Washington still building back from his issues not much behind Nance. Styles may be that role.

Last edited:

Welp, lessee...

- Speaking of our Zone-O, I really liked the renewed emphasis on utilizing the "short-corner" entry option, one of the most difficult things for Zones to defend. That said, I wanna see more Hi-Lo action. I mean, hell, we're starting a front line of 6'11, 6'10, 6'8. The few times we did it, it was unstoppable.

Interesting comments G. I didn't have the opportunity to see the game but I was interested in your comment about Nance not being Brady and that he was an inside guy as well. How do you see that affecting the role, or maybe changing the roles between Bacot and Nance?

Nance had much higher 3p fg % than manek - senior years. I loved manek. He was vital for the Heels. But we shouldn’t do a disservice to Nance

Granted he will sure take fewer 3s than manek, and nance can add more to the team midrange and in the paint, but give Nance his due. When is the last time we had a Heel who averaged 45% from three for a full year on about 100 3s taken?

Nance had much higher 3p fg % than manek - senior years. I loved manek. He was vital for the Heels. But we shouldn’t do a disservice to Nance

Granted he will sure take fewer 3s than manek, and nance can add more to the team midrange and in the paint, but give Nance his due. When is the last time we had a Heel who averaged 45% from three for a full year on about 100 3s taken?
Pretty sure Lawson did.

But can he hit them in the big games? He shoots the three like he is aiming it with a low trajectory….after seeing him shoot the 3…I prefer him in the paint…that baby hook is money…problem may be that he clogs up the middle……he don’t seem like a guy who operates on the perimeter like Manek. We need those lanes open for Love and RJ to drive the ball. Of course Mondo can answer this by showing his expanded game which he didn’t show last night.

Pretty sure Lawson. 47% on 108 taken.

Nance just has a very flat shot. It's noticeable at the free throw line and even more so from 3.
But man that baby hook shot in the paint is absolutely beautiful.
The attention he and Bacot will draw down low will make our whole offense better. Someone will have to help on d with that killer hook, thus for, opening up looks for a lot of guys.

Reactions: Archer2

It's not meant as a disservice at all, it's just one of the prime examples of why we hafta be careful reading too much into stats without context.

Brady is a legit, in-your-face, quick-release pro-level 3-point shooter, who also happens to be big enough to have a sneaky inside game.
Pete is a long, legit Big who can knock down some spot-up 3s, but with that slow release and flat shot, only if you leave him by himself.
HUGE difference.

And BTW, to put that gaudy looking percentage in context, Pete's 3s are the easiest --- uncontested catch-and-shoot rhythm-3s, which as we've discussed over the years, is essentially a 60% shot for a legit shooter --- pretty much a longer FT.

Interesting comments G. I didn't have the opportunity to see the game but I was interested in your comment about Nance not being Brady and that he was an inside guy as well. How do you see that affecting the role, or maybe changing the roles between Bacot and Nance?
Not so much changing anything between them, other than not try to deploy Pete as if he's the second-coming of Manek. What I've seen already screams that Pete can be WAY more effective inside than he was at NW.

I would love to see he and Mando reprise the ol' Dean Smith interchangeable 4/5 men --- flashing in and out of the "T" post areas, running Hi-Lo entry action, and remember, Mando has shown in camp that he can knock down that spot-up and trail 3 as well. In other words, we could essentially have two "post" guys and two "stretch" guys playing interchangeably.

Mondo can’t shoot the 3ball. He didn’t even try to shoot one versus weak exhibition competition. Nance maybe can hit the wide open 3ball with that ugly shot.

This is why if we really want a stretch 4 on the floor, we have to give Nickel playing time. He is truly a stretch 4.

On another note, Trimble seems he can spell RJ at times but he inherited his brother 3point shooting as well as his brothers jumping ability.

We have five real 3point shooters in this team
Love
RJ
Nickel
Dunn
Maye

Mondo can’t shoot the 3ball. He didn’t even try to shoot one versus weak exhibition competition. Nance maybe can hit the wide open 3ball with that ugly shot.

This is why if we really want a stretch 4 on the floor, we have to give Nickel playing time. He is truly a stretch 4.
Sorry, but that is just wrong.
Mondo can indeed knock down the situational 3. The fact that he didn't attempt one is in no way indicative of his ability. And there's very little "4" in Nickel's game.

Mondo can indeed knock down the situational 3. The fact that he didn't attempt one is in no way indicative of his ability. And there's very little "4" in Nickel's game.
Gary I agree that if left wide open like Nance maybe he can knock a few down, but with both of their slow releases….it will have to be situational ….like wide open.

Nickel can catch and shoot a 3…..Hugh difference. Nickel has the size and shooting ability to be a stretch 4…..and the toughness and confidence……it will be hard not to play Nickel.

Gary I agree that if left wide open like Nance maybe he can knock a few down, but with both of their slow releases….it will have to be situational ….like wide open.

Nickel can catch and shoot a 3…..Hugh difference. Nickel has the size and shooting ability to be a stretch 4…..and the toughness and confidence……it will be hard not to play Nickel.
Oh, I said above that Nickel has carved out a rotation spot, but his game has very little 4 in it. In fact, if he and Leaky are on the floor together in a "small" lineup, Leaky should, and likely will, assume the 4 role.

Bottom line is we have mucho flexibility in configurations and approaches, and our huge starting front line could be a bear to deal with if we play inside-out and overwhelm opponents with length whilst keeping people honest with both our 4 and 5 guy able to knock down 3s if you don't account for them when threy rotate to the perimeter.

Oh, I said above that Nickel has carved out a rotation spot, but his game has very little 4 in it. In fact, if he and Leaky are on the floor together in a "small" lineup, Leaky should, and likely will, assume the 4 role.

Bottom line is we have mucho flexibility in configurations and approaches, and our huge starting front line could be a bear to deal with if we play inside-out and overwhelm opponents with length whilst keeping people honest with both our 4 and 5 guy able to knock down 3s if you don't account for them when threy rotate to the perimeter.
Or when they play together in that huge lineup. He was at the two for a bit. I liked that look for sure. They were huge

I like this, thanks gary.

I would love to see he and Mando reprise the ol' Dean Smith interchangeable 4/5 men --- flashing in and out of the "T" post areas, running Hi-Lo entry action, and remember, Mando has shown in camp that he can knock down that spot-up and trail 3 as well. In other words, we could essentially have two "post" guys and two "stretch" guys playing interchangeably.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
That is really not fair gary, first he is a freshman, you don't know what he is going to develop in to. Kid as a freshman is 6'8" around 220lbs, you can't tell me he will not one day be a 4. That is like the chappel guy trying to say Nickel is a 2 and now looking for a victory lap because the kid played a few minutes as a two. You can't say there is little in Nickel's game that says he will not one day be a 4 unless you have not yet heard of stretch 4s. Lot of folks were trying to convince us that Leaky was a PG for how long?

Personally, I don't want to see Bacot trying to prove himself as a 3pt shooter, shoot one every now and then fine but do what you are good at and what Bacot is good at does not take him far out of the paint.

AS far as the exhibition game, maybe I watched a game others didn't? Say that because the game I saw, first I really liked Trimble and I very specifically liked him at the point. How many times did he take the ball the length of the court and finish, tell me you didn't think of Ty Lawson doing that.

But the guy I want to talk about is Caleb Love, the stat line that I really love is 8 assists from Love and what, 1 TO or so? That is what I am looking for from Caleb, a bit more getting team mates involved rather than taking everything 1 on 1. Grover may think I am more down on Love but I am not, I just want the kid to play to his ability and that means developing more of a facilitating mindset and the assist numbers show me, show all of us he can. That is what the NBA wants to see from the kid, I was really glad to see it. But I still really prefer Caleb as a 2 and I do think Trimble is the guy I prefer to run the point in Liew of RJ.

AS far as the exhibition game, maybe I watched a game others didn't? Say that because the game I saw, first I really liked Trimble and I very specifically liked him at the point. How many times did he take the ball the length of the court and finish, tell me you didn't think of Ty Lawson doing that.

But the guy I want to talk about is Caleb Love, the stat line that I really love is 8 assists from Love and what, 1 TO or so? That is what I am looking for from Caleb, a bit more getting team mates involved rather than taking everything 1 on 1. Grover may think I am more down on Love but I am not, I just want the kid to play to his ability and that means developing more of a facilitating mindset and the assist numbers show me, show all of us he can. That is what the NBA wants to see from the kid, I was really glad to see it. But I still really prefer Caleb as a 2 and I do think Trimble is the guy I prefer to run the point in Liew of RJ.
Please do not get Grover started. LOL !!! 😉

Promise ya man, not in any way my intent! LOL

But I call em like I see them, I really liked what I saw from Caleb.
Do you believe Caleb will be caught with his head turned in the wrong direction this year on defense? Not saying he's a defensive liability but there were instances last year, not sure everyone noticed it.

For people talking about Nickel in regards to Manek, he probably does offensively grade out the best play-wise to him. However, if we played him that way, Leaky would probably be moreso a 4 and Nickel a 3. Which I think also wouldn't hurt us much either.

We will see how Nance does, but I worry we are going to clog the lanes with 2 bigs and lose an entire dynamic to our offense that made teams get shredded by us. The ability to do the screen and dive 3 from the big man position.

I honestly still can't figure out how Manek is not in the NBA. He was pretty much a very poor man's Dirk. That has to have a spot in the NBA imo.

That is really not fair gary, first he is a freshman, you don't know what he is going to develop in to. Kid as a freshman is 6'8" around 220lbs, you can't tell me he will not one day be a 4. That is like the chappel guy trying to say Nickel is a 2 and now looking for a victory lap because the kid played a few minutes as a two. You can't say there is little in Nickel's game that says he will not one day be a 4 unless you have not yet heard of stretch 4s. Lot of folks were trying to convince us that Leaky was a PG for how long?

Personally, I don't want to see Bacot trying to prove himself as a 3pt shooter, shoot one every now and then fine but do what you are good at and what Bacot is good at does not take him far out of the paint.
C'mon D. Tyler has been an overgrown Wing going back to his VA days playing single-A HS ball vs guys 6"-to-a-foot shorter. Comparing apples-to-apples, he's no more a 4 than Buddy Boeheim is. And that's is absolutely fine.

On another note, Trimble seems he can spell RJ at times but he inherited his brother 3point shooting as well as his brothers jumping ability.

We have five real 3point shooters in this team
Love
RJ
Nickel
Dunn
Maye
Nickel played mainly the 3 in the exhibition, and one stretch where he played the 2. He played no minutes at the 4 even with McKoy, Washington, and Puff all held out.

I tried to tell people Nickel is being groomed to be a 2/3 wing. That's literally what the coaching staff is doing in practice. And they are recruiting more and more PFs like Zayden High and Jarin Stevenson that they intend to keep a depth chart stocked with talent, ensuring Nickel never has to play out of position at PF.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT