ADVERTISEMENT

We got our ass kicked by a storm with no name

Uhaul.png

mindblowing to see the water height on the right, then seeing it up above the windows on that orange line atop the front of that building.

Lots of stuff is talking about the River District in asheville, check this vid from across town, showing what is likely peak height on the Swannanoa. Ignore the text about 5 stories, but still.

That's here https://www.google.com/maps/place/387+Swannanoa+River+Rd,+Asheville,+NC+28805

I went for a run the last two days and went down by the RAD. It’s completely wrecked. Metal siding/roofing wrapped around light poles, shipping containers displaced and flipped over, debris everywhere. They’ve got all of riverside drive blocked off doing some line work down there.

Salvage Station was pretty much wiped off the map. The new Hi Wire brewing facility and beer garden was wiped out. Probably syringes washed up all over the place since a lot of homeless people camp along the river down by the greenway.

My buddy up in Boone finally got about 2-3 dozen pics come through via text... been trying since Monday.

It's beyond words. The really scary/sad part is the missing people stuck out in hollers and long driveways, off of remote roads themselves. It will be years before this starts to resemble what it used to be... if ever.

Downtown Hendersonville and Brevard are two of my favorite places in western NC. I dunno what's left of them.

Folks, donate anything you can. There are so many donation locations around the upstate. They're flying/helicopter everything imaginable. Diapers, water, non-perishable food, paper towels, everything.

donated to one fund that divided up the donation, hope it’s legit, then to a food bank, have donated to them before.

one of my concerns is a video i saw today from a guy that flew his own helicopter in because he said law enforcement is not allowing people to go up the mountains to help rescue…i understand the terrain is difficult, but privately own helicopters flown by rescue orgs aren’t allowed to land to help people that cannot be helped by land???

Reactions: ohio tarheels
My buddy up in Boone finally got about 2-3 dozen pics come through via text... been trying since Monday.

It's beyond words. The really scary/sad part is the missing people stuck out in hollers and long driveways, off of remote roads themselves. It will be years before this starts to resemble what it used to be... if ever.

Downtown Hendersonville and Brevard are two of my favorite places in western NC. I dunno what's left of them.

Folks, donate anything you can. There are so many donation locations around the upstate. They're flying/helicopter everything imaginable. Diapers, water, non-perishable food, paper towels, everything.
I heard Brevard didn't have as much damage as some areas (all relative though).

Reactions: strummingram
Talked last night to a life long friend who lives in black mtn. He had two acres with a creek. Within one hour the creek you could step over was up to his roof top. He and his wife and dogs had to scramble to the roof not knowing if the water was gonna keep rising. They were stuck for 6 hours watching homes and cars and animals getting swept by. They rescued a racoon that sat with them. They could feel the house swaying. Then when water went down they saw they had 4 ft of mud in it. Their cars were gone. Their horse, chickens, and ducks all gone. They hiked out a couple miles to find help. Some firemen picked them up and fed them. Now they’re staying at a school that’s a shelter until his brother can get through and take them to his place.

• Sad
Reactions: strummingram
Talked last night to a life long friend who lives in black mtn. He had two acres with a creek. Within one hour the creek you could step over was up to his roof top. He and his wife and dogs had to scramble to the roof not knowing if the water was gonna keep rising. They were stuck for 6 hours watching homes and cars and animals getting swept by. They rescued a racoon that sat with them. They could feel the house swaying. Then when water went down they saw they had 4 ft of mud in it. Their cars were gone. Their horse, chickens, and ducks all gone. They hiked out a couple miles to find help. Some firemen picked them up and fed them. Now they’re staying at a school that’s a shelter until his brother can get through and take them to his place.
Damn... that will give you some perspective! Sorry to hear that. Thank goodness for his brother. That is trauma that they will carry forever.

Maybe Spike Lee will find an angle and make a film series like "When The Levees Broke" after Katrina. I kinda doubt it. You can't really blame this on anyone. This is simply nature showing its strength. But, people are resilient and they persevere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT