ADVERTISEMENT

What Kinds of Teams Give Us Trouble?

What Would Jesus Do?

Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
With 14 games under our belt - including 4 or 5 likely tournament teams - and with only 1 player still on the injury list, it should be coming clear what kinds of teams cause us problems.

We lost to MSU and Wofford and struggled against Tennessee and Wake. A few other teams played us close a lot longer than was comfortable. Davidson and Bucknell, for example, both played us close for 25 minutes or so. MSU and TN are very good teams. the others not so much.

What have we learned?

Next year could be special but I’m thinking we are 2 years away from having a chance at contending for another NCAA title. I remember years ago when unc was a title contender every year. I hope we can get back to that level with the NCAA crap over with but the recruiting has to continue with elite talent instead of projects like this class was.

Physical teams have always been a challenge for the Heels; moreso this year with our youngsters inside. MSU and Tennessee certainly are proof of that.

Wofford and Wake both had a big dude that disrupted us. There's still no excuse for losing to Wofford at home but our freshman bigs were schooled by their big guy.

If our inside game can make significant strides by March, then maybe we go a little deeper in the tourney but realistically I think S16 is the roof.

I agree with the physical bigs giving us trouble comments. But I think jah420 nailed it when he said that playing with a sense of urgency on defense is the key. If we do, we can overcome a bad shooting night and play with anyone. If we don't, the outcome of games hinges directly on us shooting well.

I would go a step further and say that playing with a sense of urgency defensively and offensively are the primary concerns for this team. We will go as far as our intensity takes us this year. We must give 100% at all times, we simply aren't good enough to coast or take plays off.

Teams with athletic/scoring bigs as our freshmen bigs will struggle this year. Also teams in general are going to stack the perimeter and force us to try and get to the rim.

As our backcourt goes we go. If the are careless with the ball, we struggle. Make every possesion count!

In truth, the teams that seem to really bother us are not the ones logic seems to dictate them to be. Logic would have said last season as well as this one that long teams would especially hurt us, yet our 2 losses this season were not against overly long teams, what has taken us more often is 3pt shooting. A bit strange IMO because we have a solid back court duo of guards and Theo is as well a nasty defender. But we tend to help out to deep a lot, teams drive and draw then kick back out on us for clean trey looks.

Games this season our losses IMO have been more our not playing great offense much more than a lack of defense but a little give in our defense that allows those treys combined with our not hitting them get in to us. WE just are not a great 3pt shooting team, we will become much better once Cam gets his game legs fully under him. But from outside both Kenny and Luke are streaky and Theo is a no threat. I do think Platek may be a guy that can help us down the road there, Jalek as well a bit streaky as a jump shooter. When those streaky guys are on, we are a load, when those guys are on Joel and Cam get cleaner looks and they are solid jump shooters when they get a clean look.

We did have a bit more inside strength last season to help negate some of those longer teams, I don't think we have that advantage this season so yeah, the FSU, duke, Miami games really worry me.

It seems that girth/strength in the bigs is more dangerous than length! This and big, physical guards would give us a bit of trouble.

Regardless of who we play, this team more than our recent teams, depends on focus, energy, and aggression! When we play with intensity and attack the basket from the jump. we do well. When we are passive or can't match the other team's intensity, we can lose to anybody!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT