ADVERTISEMENT

What will they say about you when you’re gone?

gunslingerdick

Hall of Famer
Feb 16, 2006
I went to a memorial service this morning for a guy that was instrumental to my success early in my professional career. Died at the age of 62 from leukemia. He was a brilliant and principled man but he was also outspoken, curt and rough around the edges. “Prickly” is the best way to describe him.

So I was curious as to what they’d say about him at the service. Would they say, “despite his hard shell, John was a lovable guy”? Or would they be real. Turns out, it was somewhere in between.

But it got me thinking about myself and what people might say if my day came tomorrow? And then I started thinking “what do I want people to say about me when I’m gone?” First and foremost, I want people to say, he was best damn father any kid could ever ask for. He loved his children more than life itself and he taught them how to be productive members of society.” And if that’s all anyone could say, I could live with that (err, die with that). But I came to the realization that I do care what people say about me when I’m gone. Obviously not for me but for my loved ones that I leave behind. I want them to enjoy hearing good things about me. They loved me. They should get the reward of hearing why others did too.

What do you want people to say about you when you’re gone?

I went to a memorial service this morning for a guy that was instrumental to my success early in my professional career. Died at the age of 62 from leukemia. He was a brilliant and principled man but he was also outspoken, curt and rough around the edges. “Prickly” is the best way to describe him.

So I was curious as to what they’d say about him at the service. Would they say, “despite his hard shell, John was a lovable guy”? Or would they be real. Turns out, it was somewhere in between.

But it got me thinking about myself and what people might say if my day came tomorrow? And then I started thinking “what do I want people to say about me when I’m gone?” First and foremost, I want people to say, he was best damn father any kid could ever ask for. He loved his children more than life itself and he taught them how to be productive members of society.” And if that’s all anyone could say, I could live with that (err, die with that). But I came to the realization that I do care what people say about me when I’m gone. Obviously not for me but for my loved ones that I leave behind. I want them to enjoy hearing good things about me. They loved me. They should get the reward of hearing why others did too.

That I was better at GSD in rearing kids

And a passionate lover.

Reactions: uncboy10
"Folks, can you believe this lucky Bastard? He played golf all day, had a hole in one, and got laid twice that night and died in his sleep"

Reactions: tarheel0910

They will likely say, "Who?"

I really don't care as long as whatever they say is accurate and they don't refer to me as "they."

I really don't care as long as ... they don't refer to me as "they."

1mm29a.jpg

Great question. This is already going to be a tl;dr poast, so here are some of the ways I'd like to be remembered in the form of adjectives: adventurous, compassionate, curious, dependable, devoted, funny, honest, kind, principled.

There's also a flip side to this question that I read about while working in hospice and palliative care. Nurses asked patients on their deathbed what their greatest regrets were and reduced the responses to five things -- the five regrets of the dying. You can read more about them at the link, but they are:

1. I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
2. I wish I hadn’t worked so hard.
3. I wish I’d had the courage to express my feelings.
4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

So the other question is this: What will I say about my own life when it's at its end? I think about when I'm old and infirm, looking back on my life, and wonder what my regrets will be. I know for sure that one of them will be that I ran out of time. There is an endless list of things I want to see and do in this world.

Anyway, that's the kind of perspective I've tried to bring to my own life. I'm getting better at each one, although #3 and #4 are really hard for me as a mostly private, introverted person.

Great question. This is already going to be a tl;dr poast, so here are some of the ways I'd like to be remembered in the form of adjectives: adventurous, compassionate, curious, dependable, devoted, funny, honest, kind, principled.

There's also a flip side to this question that I read about while working in hospice and palliative care. Nurses asked patients on their deathbed what their greatest regrets were and reduced the responses to five things -- the five regrets of the dying. You can read more about them at the link, but they are:

1. I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
2. I wish I hadn’t worked so hard.
3. I wish I’d had the courage to express my feelings.
4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

So the other question is this: What will I say about my own life when it's at its end? I think about when I'm old and infirm, looking back on my life, and wonder what my regrets will be. I know for sure that one of them will be that I ran out of time. There is an endless list of things I want to see and do in this world.

Anyway, that's the kind of perspective I've tried to bring to my own life. I'm getting better at each one, although #3 and #4 are really hard for me as a mostly private, introverted person.
Damn, this thread has now turned into a sadz parade.

I doubt that anyone would miss me, as my absence would likely not be noticed.

Even when I knew the deceased fairly well, more often than not, I learn something pretty remarkable about them at their funeral that I wish I had known while they were alive so I could have asked them about it.

Simbelmÿne. Ever has it grown on the tombs of my forebears. Now it shall cover the grave of my son. Alas, that these evil days should be mine. The young perish and the old linger. That I should live to see the last days of my house.

JuleZ' death was not of your making.

No parent should have to bury their child.

He was strong in life. His spirit will find the way to the halls of your fathers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT