ADVERTISEMENT

OOTB Carolina football discussion thread

Please no more "hot name" coaches from a G5 team. I want our next failure to be from another P4 team or top coordinator.
Yeah... That guy could lose every game the rest of the season. My response wass out of frustration.

It's pretty alarming that NO ONE could find a way to stop JMU offensively. I dunno WTF happened... but, if other teams see the chinks, UNC may not win another game this season.

i don’t know what happen internally when butch was hired, but i know what happened everywhere else…i’m telling you, programs took notice as did recruiters…my neighbor was the former d-cord at sc and he said in 2011 “y’all are getting serious now”.

your point about being prepared might not have even been taken seriously, but i’m sure a guy was at miami and coached in the nfl knew what it took to get and keep athletes…not that it took money, etc, but it takes care and time…it takes someone saying, “no, you can’t sign your name for money” and “you can’t get free tattoos”.
exactly. It was actually publicized beforehand that this was going to be a serious hire. It was exciting to see that kind of attitude which was also almost an admission that we had NOT been serious before.

I'm not sure if we're on the same page regarding being prepared, but I was saying why would you have 20 compliance people if you didn't care if you were good enough to need that many. In other words, you wouldn't hire those 20 and then figure success would follow.

Butch stepped into a mess at Miami and he cleaned it up, at least as far as could be seen. You know he put in controls at that freak show, he had to. What I surmise happened here is that he relaxed because of our squeaky clean rep and the fact that the players' classroom stuff was not handled by the program.

I said, in the game thread on BH, "can we trade coaching staffs?"

Mack Brown is a cool guy and I can imitate him easily. But, he is WAY, WAY, WAYYYY past his prime.
it's a shame not to be able to put him in a position that benefits him AND us. He is universally well-respected, by other coaches, media types, everybody but us and that only because he isn't getting the job done.

Frigging ACC network cut off the end of my recording of the game and I had quit watching. I was very curious as to how he would interact with the other coach after the game. I imagine he greeted him just as if we had won.

butch was huge and i’m sure it’s a scary thought now…however, post butch, and now in this pool we’re in, shouldn’t carolina be prepared?…remember, the thought was “unc wasn’t ready for big-time football”…when bama has 20 more compliance officers than unc, it’s an issue.

i don’t know what a serious hire is anymore…how the hell would carolina be in on lance leipold when he’s at kansas compared to say dave aranda?…and who’s to say the jmu coach that got a dumpster fire together in six months isn’t the new spurrier?

I just wonder who they could get even if they were willing to cut the check. Any of the serious hire candidates will have a long list of options. I’d be looking at NFL coordinators before G5 head coaches just because so many of them fail they step up to coaching P4 programs.

Okay... can that amount be generated? If you're not sure, that's cool. That was my basic question earlier. Can UNC pay for the goods, if the goods are available?

Then, my other concern is; If you find a coaching staff that can put a winning program together... will they stay at UNC? I mean, if you found a gem somewhere that popped (sorta like Dabo did-- no one saw that coming when he was hired), would they haul ass like Mack Brown in 1997?

Honestly, right now I doubt it. To get to those kind of numbers for NIL you gotta bring in some big spenders but also have an army of small and medium sized donors making recurring contributions. For basketball? No problem. People know that’s a proven winner with a history and a culture. I just don’t see fans throwing a ton of money behind Carolina football until they see some proof of concept on the field. And it’s tough to win big without having the money to put the roster together in the first place. And Carolina has always been weird about paying coaches. We’re lucky that Roy wanted to be here because he could’ve doubled or tripled his earnings if he shopped the market.

In today’s version of CFB I think Carolina has a better chance of retaining a big time coach if they could ever get the machine going. If the money is rolling in to get players, and you have an easier playoff path by winning a weaker conference, then why leave for an SEC program? If the playoff structure changes or we start seeing SEC teams chewing up all the at large bids that could change though.

My pitch to the administration would be that football can be a major driver for increased admissions. Universities with big time football programs are more attractive and tend to see increased applications as a result. That would allow UNC to expand the student body without compromising on academic standards and therefore increase revenue that will benefit academic programs.

Clemson has some shiny brand new academic buildings that just so happen to have been funded and built right after Dabo put them back on the map.

He’ll probably always have better offers but Glenn Schumann would get me fired up about the football program again. Young dude from the right coaching tree.

Knowing our luck we’ve still got another 2-3 years of Mack before he hands the reins to Collins or Galloway.

having thought about this, the best position group is receiver…give it to galloway, let him hire/fire whoever, and let roll…if it doesn’t work in three years, work as in progress(lol i don’t know what that is), you move on.

but yes, the elephant in the room is how/who do you hire…unc isn’t even auburn or even ucla.
We've produced solid WR units, but I think we need a clean slate. Get all that stank off.

I've kinda stopped paying attn to CFB, and it isn't just cuz UNC should've fired Mack after yr 3 or 4. There is more parity in the sport, which should be a good thing, but for some reason feels like it isn't. The leagues are funny mismatches (I don't know how many years it will take for me to think of Stanford and Cal or SMU as being ACC). NIL steals from watching player development. I was going to see we need the next Lance Leipold but just saw their rough start.

Recruiting-wise this place sells itself. Mack and Butch were great recruiters, but even Fedora got good players here. I don't think we need a big-name coach to recruit.

And IMO, NIL money should be less about HS recruiting (front 7 aside) and more about retention and acquisition. Big names don't always pan out. OL and QB are probably huge wastes of money given how hard it is to evaluate HS OL/QB.

Excluding NIL there is plenty of money going toward football. Look at Kenan, the practice building, etc, etc.

As far as "fan football culture", I don't think a big-name coach will immediately change that. Only sustained hard-nosed play that beats the ones you are supposed to beat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT