ADVERTISEMENT

What's Going On With The Competition?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed with Covid rearing it's ugly head in college. The Bulls now have 8 OUT as Levine just tested positive due to Covid, plus their radio announcer. Teams across the league are being hit hard.

Tough to compete with that many unavailable.

VA. Tech loses to Dayton, Fla. State losses to South Carolina, Miami barely beats Fordam at home. If NC State can't beat Purdue in OT, another awful day for the ACC.

NET rankings used for seeding might be low for conference games this year.

It would of been better if VA. Tech or Florida St. would of won. I mean, sheesh conference looking awful.
Yeah, I get it. We do need the other teams to maintain a good RPI so it helps us when we beat them, but I just can't ever pull for moo or dook. I rarely ever watch moo games anymore, and sure as hell NEVER watch a dook game other than when we play them.

To heck with the ACC, if it means I have to pull for Moo or puke to win! They both need to lose every game in everything!

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
I believe that's exactly what it is. When I covered them, he was asked quite often about his philosophies to schedulng, etc, and it was some of the more interesting stuff he openly discussed. And it was very clear he put more thought into scheduling and how, for lack of a better term, he could manipulate it to help his team's RPI.

Neutral site games are great for RPIs, but the thing that always stuck with me was how he would schedule a slew of low-mid major teams but most would be picked to finish among the top two or three in their leagues. He wasn't bringing in Prairie View or Stetson, he would bring in Albany, Holy Cross, and Western Illinois when they were figured to compete for conference titles.

So, by late February, those teams were 20-6 or 18-7 with league tourneys still to play, and by winning a lot of games. regardless of the competition, they had good RPIs and it helped Duke. They weren't always in the top 100, but if your lowest-rated opponents are in the 120s to 160s, as opposed to 285, 305, and 330, it makes a huge difference in your RPI and strength of schedule.
Hmm. K manipulating the system. Who would have thought that?

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Just for good measure dook adds a three star seven footer to their haul for ‘22. sure he will vault to a five star now that he’s committed to them.

The Davis kid just torched Ivey and Pudue to the tune of 35. Wisky up 7 with a minute left. He was dominant. He ended up with 37 in the upset.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT