ADVERTISEMENT

What's Going On With The Competition?

And Danny Manning gets another temp. head coaching job. The former Page High School great in Greensboro, NC.

That's inaccurate....true on campus games yeah...but Duke has played the likes of Georgetown Temple and St. Johns in there big game home arena venues....Duke just played UNLV in the new arena in grand opening of the new arena in Vegas...played Oregon in the Rose Garden Portland....definitely strategical in garnering large crowds and big pay days...and the usual big games on neutral courts ina NBA arenas in NY/Brooklyn and Chicago....id love to see more traditional home and homes ie) Kansas Ucla etc..but I also see the big arena strategy for $ reasons..the strategy will be probably remain the same under Scheyer especially if its money driven imo....we'll see...

• Haha
Reactions: TPFKAPFS
That's inaccurate....true on campus games yeah...but Duke has played the likes of Georgetown Temple and St. Johns in there big game home arena venues....Duke just played UNLV in the new arena in grand opening of the new arena in Vegas...played Oregon in the Rose Garden Portland....definitely strategical in garnering large crowds and big pay days...and the usual big games on neutral courts ina NBA arenas in NY/Brooklyn and Chicago....id love to see more traditional home and homes ie) Kansas Ucla etc..but I also see the big arena strategy for $ reasons..the strategy will be probably remain the same under Scheyer especially if its money driven imo....we'll see...
Lol neutral site games aren’t even close to the same as on campus games, even if the venue is located near the other college! Coach K never schedules true road games out of conference bc he Knows there’s a greater chance to lose to a much lesser opponent! Dook usually plays St. John’s at Madison square garden right? I’m not sure but I would guess that dook might have more fans there...that’s basically home away from home for dook and the rat leader! Did you get a chance to watch the college of Charleston game we played in this year? Yeah it’s CoC but that place was electric and had been sold out for over a year or something crazy! It was as loud as Hansbrough indoor stadium! That would have been a tough place for any team in the country to play at! Playing at Madison square garden is totally different than that lol

Lol neutral site games aren’t even close to the same as on campus games, even if the venue is located near the other college! Coach K never schedules true road games out of conference bc he Knows there’s a greater chance to lose to a much lesser opponent! Dook usually plays St. John’s at Madison square garden right? I’m not sure but I would guess that dook might have more fans there...that’s basically home away from home for dook and the rat leader! Did you get a chance to watch the college of Charleston game we played in this year? Yeah it’s CoC but that place was electric and had been sold out for over a year or something crazy! It was as loud as Hansbrough indoor stadium! That would have been a tough place for any team in the country to play at! Playing at Madison square garden is totally different than that lol
I understand you, but those venues are their big game OOC home game sites and conference play sites where their students and fans come anyways....yes that was great for CoC

Reactions: CarolinaBlue5
I understand you, but those venues are their big game OOC home game sites and conference play sites where their students and fans come anyways....yes that was great for CoC
Boogie, do you think Scheyer will schedule games similar to K?

It’s driven by money and fear both. Scheyer will carry on the tradition.

I don't believe for 1 second that the vaunted LOM who has shown that he cares for his legacy more than the kids in his care is concerned in the slightest for the financial gains for other programs! The same man who screamed that a player was effin' up his program; suspended a serial tripper for 1 game; and refused to suspend a player who was complicit in drunk driving suddenly does things for altruistic purposes. No freakin' way and only a JCDer would even try to say this!!!

Boogie, do you think Scheyer will schedule games similar to K?
Steat...I am not sure and we will see very soon....you guys have your own opinions and i get that but, like them or not, Duke games fill seats and lots of $ is made....Duke isnt state/tax supported, this formula is a money maker that supports so much other stuff imo....duke at gonzaga, id guess marginal $ maker....duke/zags in vegas astronomical, im guessing............i really think its more than a coaches decision

I don't believe for 1 second that the vaunted LOM who has shown that he cares for his legacy more than the kids in his care is concerned in the slightest for the financial gains for other programs! The same man who screamed that a player was effin' up his program; suspended a serial tripper for 1 game; and refused to suspend a player who was complicit in drunk driving suddenly does things for altruistic purposes. No freakin' way and only a JCDer would even try to say this!!!
Not suspending Banchero for at least one game is inexcusable .

So now the university with a multi-billion dollar endowment does things to make money, LOL! All they have to do to make money is tear down that rat-infested HIS and build a real stadium! 'Zags aren't hurtin' for $$$ either peeps! (please check the endowment figures) But carry on.....

BTW: How does ignoring Borrachero's abhorrent behavior fit into the suddenly humanitarian Rat Lord's legacy?

K has long said the reason he doesn't play true road games outside the league is because NCAAT games are played in those big neutral site arenas, and getting his team prepared for the postseason makes more sense having games in those venues than on campuses.

That said, I think having more true road games would be better for the sport and the evaluation process of his team. And, it would think it would help his team. Look at how much the Heels benefitted from the Charleston game.

Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
Since ratty is the original JCDer, I would take his proclamations with a grain of salt! (even though this one is at least plausible)

So now the university with a multi-billion dollar endowment does things to make money, LOL! All they have to do to make money is tear down that rat-infested HIS and build a real stadium! 'Zags aren't hurtin' for $$$ either peeps! (please check the endowment figures) But carry on.....

BTW: How does ignoring Borrachero's abhorrent behavior fit into the suddenly humanitarian Rat Lord's legacy?
I don't want to look too far ahead, but Duke has road games at Florida State, Virginia and Cuse and UNC has only home games with these teams. UNC must take care of their own business including beating Duke and many other teams on their schedule, but Duke could lose all of these games.

Since ratty is the original JCDer, I would take his proclamations with a grain of salt! (even though this one is at least plausible)

I believe that's exactly what it is. When I covered them, he was asked quite often about his philosophies to schedulng, etc, and it was some of the more interesting stuff he openly discussed. And it was very clear he put more thought into scheduling and how, for lack of a better term, he could manipulate it to help his team's RPI.

Neutral site games are great for RPIs, but the thing that always stuck with me was how he would schedule a slew of low-mid major teams but most would be picked to finish among the top two or three in their leagues. He wasn't bringing in Prairie View or Stetson, he would bring in Albany, Holy Cross, and Western Illinois when they were figured to compete for conference titles.

So, by late February, those teams were 20-6 or 18-7 with league tourneys still to play, and by winning a lot of games. regardless of the competition, they had good RPIs and it helped Duke. They weren't always in the top 100, but if your lowest-rated opponents are in the 120s to 160s, as opposed to 285, 305, and 330, it makes a huge difference in your RPI and strength of schedule.

Reactions: BOOGIEMAN1914
K has long said the reason he doesn't play true road games outside the league is because NCAAT games are played in those big neutral site arenas, and getting his team prepared for the postseason makes more sense having games in those venues than on campuses.

That said, I think having more true road games would be better for the sport and the evaluation process of his team. And, it would think it would help his team. Look at how much the Heels benefitted from the Charleston game.
i agree with that and i had that in a post but deleted it out as i didnt want to word it wrong ( and thats a lot of the reasoning when more open dates were available, we played the georgetowns, stjohns, temples as their big game home sites were the large arenas.....those teams arent what they once were and have been phased out basically), but with the usual home cupcake slate to start the season....the ACC/B10 game, Champions Classic, another 2-3 game Tourney (ie, Maui, etc..) 20 game ACC schedule....at the end of the day yes, id look to see @ ucla, zona, nova etc....but Duke still played Kentucky, ZAGS, and OSU......and had @MSU slated, but MSU had to change it

I tell you one thing though, when they play St.John's, Illinois, or whoever non conference at home they do not go for the more cash to play at a larger neutral arena in Charlotte. They only play away at Madison Square or the United Center instead of at the tougher on campus facility.

They pay the cash to the host teams through the gate to avoid the much, much, much, tougher environment, and to have the ability to have recruits on hand and their team seen playing locally in areas that are rich in high school talent.

K avoids away true road games at all cost.

Going to have a real good view in person of Kentucky @ Notre Dame tomorrow. It should give me a good look at ND, and what we will hopefully handle on Jan. 5th.

Would probably root for ND, but I also just bet Kentucky -3.5... 😆

Most five star recruits care about one thing, getting to the NBA as soon as possible. d00k has branded their program as OADU over the last 7-8 years, much like UK. This is the result.
We can get them there too. I know Davis doesn’t like the OAD but goodness.

ACC continuing to struggle as DePaul goes into Louisville and wins. Also Nebraska who gave NC State hell has looked weak in games since.

We can get them there too. I know Davis doesn’t like the OAD but goodness.
I think our incoming freshman class is going to be a very very good class for us, really the only concern I have from this class is that I would have liked for us to have snagged a more highly rated center because for now I am not sold on Shaver. At 6'10" 245 he has the size and his coming early to us does allow him to get a head start over other incoming freshmen but for now I am not sold he is a starter level guy but I do think he can in time. Is he Huffman, is he Brooks, or is he a Bacot that is a late bloomer? IDK but still. I do really like our incoming class. A class like this one tends to stay in the program longer, I don't see any 1&Ds unless Trimble blows up. National titles are won by classes like this one, that stays and becomes experienced, where as the 1&D guys have disappointed their fan bases late season and see their season over early march and they lose all that 1&D talent & pray they can replace it.

ACC continuing to struggle as DePaul goes into Louisville and wins. Also Nebraska who gave NC State hell has looked weak in games since.
Louisville is not very good this season, they could challenge BC for least team in the ACC.

Reactions: dtodd4475
I think our incoming freshman class is going to be a very very good class for us, really the only concern I have from this class is that I would have liked for us to have snagged a more highly rated center because for now I am not sold on Shaver. At 6'10" 245 he has the size and his coming early to us does allow him to get a head start over other incoming freshmen but for now I am not sold he is a starter level guy but I do think he can in time. Is he Huffman, is he Brooks, or is he a Bacot that is a late bloomer? IDK but still. I do really like our incoming class. A class like this one tends to stay in the program longer, I don't see any 1&Ds unless Trimble blows up. National titles are won by classes like this one, that stays and becomes experienced, where as the 1&D guys have disappointed their fan bases late season and see their season over early march and they lose all that 1&D talent & pray they can replace it.

Shaver is a worker, he’ll surprise by year 2.

I like our incoming class a lot for 3 reasons:

1. It is filled with multi-year players but most of them can make an impact as soon as they get here.
2. It proved our coach could recruit since he got a class that filled all needs perfectly!
3. All of them seem to be team first, hard workers, who are skilled AND coachable!

Go Tar Heels! (Who needs 1AD, when we have Won with D!)

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
Just now leaving the ND game. They can be bullied down low, Mando should go to work. Kentucky did not shoot well at all, or really play anything on the perimeter well at all. Good win for the Irish, but we match up great with ND, I know it is a road game, but really should roll on Jan. 5th.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT