ADVERTISEMENT

Where you live

beaver city?

you win the thread
giphy.gif

1. Bessemer City, NC
2. Grew up here. After first go round in college and working in retail for a number of years, decided to go back to college and become a CPA. Joined my partner here in my hometown and been in practice since 1983. My 91 year old mom is still here living beside my wife and me so it's nice to be able to look after her.
3.Lived here from birth in 1953 until 1971 and off to UNC. From 1971 to 1985 lived in Chapel Hill, Chester, SC, Fayetteville, Jacksonville (NC) and Gastonia, NC. Been here since we built here in 1985.
4. Built a house on lake Rhodiss in 2010. Like Mtn. Island Lake, Raising Heel, it's not well known as it sits between Lake James and Lake Hickory, undeveloped and great for kayaking and fishing without being sloshed about by skiers and jet skis. Right now it's a weekend retreat but will become the principal residence after retirement in less than 5 years or later depending upon mom's situation.

So, since this thread got resurrected, did you move to Lake Rhodhiss yet?

1. Where do you live? (Be as specific or vague as you'd like.)

2. Why did you choose to live there?

3. How long have you lived there?

4. Are you considering moving any time soon? If so, where and why?
1. Great Falls, VA

2. I’m stuck in NoVa for work for the foreseeable future. Great Falls has a subdued pace and doesn’t feel like the rest of the DMV. Great opportunity to buy our house as well.

3. Little over 3 years

4. Nothing definitive but would be open to going South or even to Europe if a few opportunities materialized. Like to keep my options open.

Pensacola, FL
Moved to Fort Walton Beach in 63 (with parents), Pensacola in 74 for college
Since 74, have lived in my present house since 84, over half my life!
I live where people come for vacation, so probably won't go anywhere.

Wingate, NC...wanted to live near the birthplace of Senator No the Great Jesse Helms! Seriously I moved here three years ago to be close to my job. Born in Charlotte, lived in Salisbury for 36 years. Plan on going mobile in three years when I retire in my RV and follow the sun until I croak.

So, since this thread got resurrected, did you move to Lake Rhodhiss yet?
We’re at the lake about 75%. Wife has retired and I’m semi-retired. We had a set back last May when heavy rains flooded our finished basement there. Had to remove Sheetrock, insulation, carpet, do mold treatment, waterproofing, redo gutters and remodel the whole downstairs. It’s just now being finished. Every time it rains I get uneasy but the waterproofing seems to be doing it’s job. We should be there 100% by this May. So I guess you can say we’re pretty much neighbors now.

Reactions: Raising Heel
Plan on going mobile in three years when I retire in my RV and follow the sun until I croak.
giphy.gif

I sold my house in the summer of 2018 and have been living in my RV full time since then. I'm still tethered to Charlotte because of work and personal reasons, but I road trip pretty often, including every Carolina football game in Chapel Hill.

Have you already bought an RV? What kind, or what kind(s) are you considering?

Reactions: JuleZ '02 HEEL
We’re at the lake about 75%. Wife has retired and I’m semi-retired. We had a set back last May when heavy rains flooded our finished basement there. Had to remove Sheetrock, insulation, carpet, do mold treatment, waterproofing, redo gutters and remodel the whole downstairs. It’s just now being finished. Every time it rains I get uneasy but the waterproofing seems to be doing it’s job. We should be there 100% by this May. So I guess you can say we’re pretty much neighbors now.

If you go to the new lakeside park in Valdese and see a guy trying to walk two beagles, that's me.

If you go to the new lakeside park in Valdese and see a guy trying to walk two beagles, that's me.
I’ll try not to scare up any rabbits if I see you walking the dogs. Our home is in a development close to the Castle bridge. It’s called Harbor Ridge.

giphy.gif

I sold my house in the summer of 2018 and have been living in my RV full time since then. I'm still tethered to Charlotte because of work and personal reasons, but I road trip pretty often, including every Carolina football game in Chapel Hill.

Have you already bought an RV? What kind, or what kind(s) are you considering?
I have been doing research for two years or more. I am looking for a travel trailer 21-25' and am strongly leaning to Lance or ORV. I have crawled through the Lance models but the closest ORV dealer is 777 miles away in Mississippi if I remember correctly. Was hoping to find one in a RV show but kind of doubt it. What did you purchase and did you have a place to store your things or did you have a huge yard sale?

I have been doing research for two years or more. I am looking for a travel trailer 21-25' and am strongly leaning to Lance or ORV. I have crawled through the Lance models but the closest ORV dealer is 777 miles away in Mississippi if I remember correctly. Was hoping to find one in a RV show but kind of doubt it. What did you purchase and did you have a place to store your things or did you have a huge yard sale?
Funny, that's about how long I spent doing research as well. I went back and forth between trailers and motorhomes but eventually settled on a Class C motorhome because I didn't already own a tow vehicle (and a few other reasons). I found it on RVTrader.com, which I highly recommend. You can find some really good deals on used RVs there. I bought mine in Colorado and drove it back to North Carolina.

I didn't exactly have a yard sale but I did get rid of a lot of possessions when I sold my house. Old/ugly bedroom furniture, lawnmower, etc. Everything I kept is in storage. The storage place is literally next door to the RV park where I live. That was just a stroke of luck. It's really convenient, assuming I can find what I'm looking for in all those boxes. A few weeks ago I was looking for my external drive to back up my PC. I looked for about 30 minutes and then just gave up and bought a new one, lol.

Anyway, good luck to you. Be sure to check again once you take the plunge. I miss my house, and will eventually buy another outside of Charlotte, but I haven't regretted my decision at all. It's pretty cool knowing you can just pack up and leave whenever you need a change of scenery.

I’ll try not to scare up any rabbits if I see you walking the dogs. Our home is in a development close to the Castle bridge. It’s called Harbor Ridge.

I know some people in that neighborhood. And I cross that bridge all the time.

I suggest this: https://earthroamer.com/hd/. You never know when you might hit a zombie apocolypse.

I've probably watched too many videos of "Keep Your Daydream" on YouTube. I have been a camper all my life from shelter half to tent to pop-up. Nothing better than sitting by a fire...I have season tickets for FB this year, had them last year too. I am planning on dragging my 1977 Jayco Pop-up to some of the games this year. Where do you park? I was thinking about setting up at Friday Center parking lot this year and wondered if anyone had any experience with that?

I've probably watched too many videos of "Keep Your Daydream" on YouTube. I have been a camper all my life from shelter half to tent to pop-up. Nothing better than sitting by a fire...I have season tickets for FB this year, had them last year too. I am planning on dragging my 1977 Jayco Pop-up to some of the games this year. Where do you park? I was thinking about setting up at Friday Center parking lot this year and wondered if anyone had any experience with that?
Campfires are the best. My vacations are never just hotel stays. I always work in a few nights in a tent, somewhere away from the traffic and crowds. Of course vacationing in an RV can be the best of both worlds.

During football season, the Rams Club has 30 RV spaces in the Williamson Lot, which is directly across from the Dean Dome. Easy walking distance to the stadium. The best part is that they provide a generator, which allows all the RVs to plug into shore power for the weekend. You can show up after 5 on Friday unless there's a basketball event, in which case you have to wait until the parking lot clears out. Most people leave Sunday morning (when the generator runs out of gas, lol).

Are you a Rams Club member? There's a wait list for RV spots at the Williamson Lot, but I was able to get passes for all the games last year. We have a crew that tailgates there and it's a pretty awesome setup. We have our own bathroom, kitchen, TV, etc. If you're not a RC member, the Friday Center is your only other option. It's still a pretty good situation because you can just hop the Tar Heel Express to the game. I believe parking at the Friday Center is free.

Campfires are the best. My vacations are never just hotel stays. I always work in a few nights in a tent, somewhere away from the traffic and crowds. Of course vacationing in an RV can be the best of both worlds.

During football season, the Rams Club has 30 RV spaces in the Williamson Lot, which is directly across from the Dean Dome. Easy walking distance to the stadium. The best part is that they provide a generator, which allows all the RVs to plug into shore power for the weekend. You can show up after 5 on Friday unless there's a basketball event, in which case you have to wait until the parking lot clears out. Most people leave Sunday morning (when the generator runs out of gas, lol).

Are you a Rams Club member? There's a wait list for RV spots at the Williamson Lot, but I was able to get passes for all the games last year. We have a crew that tailgates there and it's a pretty awesome setup. We have our own bathroom, kitchen, TV, etc. If you're not a RC member, the Friday Center is your only other option. It's still a pretty good situation because you can just hop the Tar Heel Express to the game. I believe parking at the Friday Center is free.

Yes, the parking there is free. I have been going the last couple of years and use the shuttle and it is pretty easy to get to and from the games. I am not a Ram's Club member so will be camping at the Friday center which I believe is first come first serve in regard to where you set up.
I am especially looking forward to retirement and RV'ing. What appeals to me is not having a itinerary and if I find a spot I like, be it fishing lake, mountain stream, or beach just stay there as long as I like. There are a lot of places out west I have not explored and events like Sturgis and Quartzsite that I want to experience. The freedom of coming and going as you please while grilling and having a campfile is in my blood and hopefully will come to fruition in about three years. I might just be like you RH, in that I can't wait that long and pull the trigger and continue working but living in my RV while taking weekend trips etc. in the meantime.

Funny, that's about how long I spent doing research as well. I went back and forth between trailers and motorhomes but eventually settled on a Class C motorhome because I didn't already own a tow vehicle (and a few other reasons). I found it on RVTrader.com, which I highly recommend. You can find some really good deals on used RVs there. I bought mine in Colorado and drove it back to North Carolina.

I didn't exactly have a yard sale but I did get rid of a lot of possessions when I sold my house. Old/ugly bedroom furniture, lawnmower, etc. Everything I kept is in storage. The storage place is literally next door to the RV park where I live. That was just a stroke of luck. It's really convenient, assuming I can find what I'm looking for in all those boxes. A few weeks ago I was looking for my external drive to back up my PC. I looked for about 30 minutes and then just gave up and bought a new one, lol.

Anyway, good luck to you. Be sure to check again once you take the plunge. I miss my house, and will eventually buy another outside of Charlotte, but I haven't regretted my decision at all. It's pretty cool knowing you can just pack up and leave whenever you need a change of scenery.

@Raising Heel , I see you have a Class C, but you may be able to help me here. We've been looking and thinking for a long time. Going between TTs, Class C, and Class B (though they tend to be too expensive.) Anyway, I think we're settling on a travel trailer. My diesel Jeep can tow 7,200# and I'm looking at a trailer that's 4,500# dry. My thinking is that I'd rarely be towing it full of fresh or grey/black water unless I was going to spot without hookups, right? The farthest I should have to tow it "wet" would be to the campgrounds dump station? While even wet and full of cargo, the Jeep could pull it, but I'm not the type to push it to the limits on this sort of thing. I like some margin. I think fully loaded wet, the trailer would weigh 6,500#. I'd rather be closer to 5,000# going down the highway.

Last edited by a moderator:
@WhatTheHeel?
I tow a tag along that checks in at about 6k dry. I've never dry-camped with it and the only time the tanks have contained anything is when I'm on a dump station run, as you stated above. My vehicle doesn't know it's there but it's rated to tow a lot more than 6k.

Last edited:

Just outside Winston-Salem

Grew up in W-S and love it but we found a house we liked in Lewisville. Close to the mountains...closish to the coast. Nice climate... I like the fall, winter, and spring. Not so much the summer heat.

Lived here since the later-1960's - close to 50 years.

Not considering it anytime soon. Might retire to Asheville or Chattanooga.

I have family living in Yadkinville

@WhatTheHeel?
I tow a tag along that checks in at about 6k dry. I've never dry-camped with it and the only time the tanks have contained anything is when I'm on a dump station run, as you stated above. My vehicle doesn't know it's there but it's rated to tow a lot more than 6k.

Thanks. I don't think we'd dry camp much if at all, unless we had to resort to a Wal-Mart parking lot or something. It did occur to me that I'd probably go with a little fresh water in the tanks in case my wife had to use the bathroom before we got to the campground and didn't like the public options.

Reactions: heelbent
@Raising Heel , I see you have a Class C, but you may be able to help me here. We've been looking and thinking for a long time. Going between TTs, Class C, and Class B (though they tend to be too expensive.) Anyway, I think we're settling on a travel trailer. My diesel Jeep can tow 7,200# and I'm looking at a trailer that's 4,500# dry. My thinking is that I'd rarely be towing it full of fresh or grey/black water unless I was going to spot without hookups, right? The farthest I should have to tow it "wet" would be to the campgrounds dump station? While even wet and full of cargo, the Jeep could pull it, but I'm not the type to push it to the limits on this sort of thing. I like some margin. I think fully loaded wet, the trailer would weigh 6,500#. I'd rather be closer to 5,000# going down the highway.
A travel trailer is a great option since you already have a tow vehicle. Probably the biggest downside of a Class C -- or any motorhome -- is that once you get leveled and hooked up to utilities, you're not going to want to move it again. Unless I tow another vehicle, I'm limited to where I can walk or bike (with dogs, which is kinda hilarious). But you can unhitch the trailer and then still explore the area in your Jeep. Good call.

You're correct that you'd never be towing it full of water unless you were planning on dry camping. And from the sound of it, that's not really in the cards for you. I highly recommend always traveling with some water, though, especially if you're driving long distances. You'll never have to wait for a rest area or an exit with facilities to use the bathroom. Just take any exit, pull off on the shoulder, and take care of business. Also great for showering if you come upon a hike you can't pass up on a hot day, etc. Parking lot showers are one of the perks of RV ownership.

Water will be the biggest weight contributor by far and most of that will be fresh/grey water. The 3 tanks on my RV are all roughly the same size (40ish gallons). A gallon of water weighs about 8 lbs., so 8 x 3 x 40 adds about 1,000 lbs. assuming all the tanks are full (which is highly unrealistic). You can do the same math depending on your tank sizes. You've got 2,700 lbs. to spare so shouldn't have any problem unless you're trying to transport illegals or gold bars.

Check back once you take the plunge. It's a game changer because it makes you an extremely self-sufficient traveler, which is especially convenient right now. Good luck!

Live in Mcleansville, NC , 26 yrs now.
Wife is from here so I moved here in 94.
When I retire I would like to return to White Lake ,NC .

Reactions: UNC71-00

@deandisciple, we took the plunge and got a Lance 2075. Just got it home today. Really like its modern look. No slideouts but that's fine. Its us and two beagles. I wish it had an oven, but we're hoping to swap out the microwave with a convection microwave. Not really anything else we'd change--at least not yet.

Reactions: deandisciple
What’s the worst place you’ve ever lived?

easley sc for me. Hot flat and full of Clemson yee haws. My next door neighbor started a pit bull puppy mill (which my daughter successfully shut down by going to the papers). One Christmas the guy across the street wanted to display his tiger fandom in Christmas lights. He spelled out in huge lit wood letters across his lawn “GO CLESON”

• Haha
Reactions: chickenhunter
@deandisciple, we took the plunge and got a Lance 2075. Just got it home today. Really like its modern look. No slideouts but that's fine. Its us and two beagles. I wish it had an oven, but we're hoping to swap out the microwave with a convection microwave. Not really anything else we'd change--at least not yet.
The 2075 would be my choice except wifey must have an oven. I inquired with Lance if they would custom build one but got no response. They are thick with buyers now so I guess they didn't care to respond. I would prefer a tt without a slide out as they tend to give problems. I have decided to stand pat for now as I expect a lot of buyer's remorse and a flood of used tt's in the next couple of years. RVing is so popular with increased purchasing due to covid I might as well wait and let someone else lose the ten grand on initial purchase then resale. RV's are like a truck or car, drive them off the lot and they de-value 10 grand..

Reactions: WhatTheHeel?
What’s the worst place you’ve ever lived?

easley sc for me. Hot flat and full of Clemson yee haws. My next door neighbor started a pit bull puppy mill (which my daughter successfully shut down by going to the papers). One Christmas the guy across the street wanted to display his tiger fandom in Christmas lights. He spelled out in huge lit wood letters across his lawn “GO CLESON”

Easley is a shit hole and full of terrible drivers. It is impossible to drive 123 to or from clemson and not pass at least one accident.

Worst place I lived is Rockingham, NC. Second place is Fayetteville, NC.

I live in Hope Mills now but plan to move to Moore County in the next 6-8 months. Been at this house 16 years.

Wake Forest NC

We liked the house when looking to buy a new one last year.

Not long

Yes. Poland or Montana, maybe Northern Idaho,
Poland because we like the neighborhood, the people, the culture and its a little cheaper.
Ditto for Montana and Northern Idaho. socially Isolated and cooler weather year round there.

The 2075 would be my choice except wifey must have an oven. I inquired with Lance if they would custom build one but got no response. They are thick with buyers now so I guess they didn't care to respond. I would prefer a tt without a slide out as they tend to give problems. I have decided to stand pat for now as I expect a lot of buyer's remorse and a flood of used tt's in the next couple of years. RVing is so popular with increased purchasing due to covid I might as well wait and let someone else lose the ten grand on initial purchase then resale. RV's are like a truck or car, drive them off the lot and they de-value 10 grand..

As I understand it, and I've not seen any used Lances to confirm, Lance and Airstream (and maybe some others) don't depreciate as badly as the average RV. But, I do imagine there will be some used ones becoming available soon. Some buyer's remorse. Some realizing they can't afford the payments. We almost bought a Winnebago MIcro Minnie that had been traded in at a nearby car lot. The guy took his wife to a KOA for their first trip. She hated it. They traded the truck and TT in for a new truck. The dealership was selling a $26K camper for $18K. I imagine the guy trading it in got maybe $16K for it?

We just got what I felt was too good of a deal to pass up. almost 25% of MSRP. It was much better than anywhere else I could find.

Did you ever find a travel trailer? Prices are going up in many places. Based on other used listings and the really good deal we got, we could sell ours and make a very nice profit, but then we'd be trying to buy in an expensive time to buy.

Still have not found the deal we are looking for. Might never will but I am unwilling to pay what people are giving up for trailers that sold for $39000 two years ago to $49000 plus today. I'm just holding on,,

At this point the 2075 with or without oven is my number one choice. I find it interesting that Lance prices it in the fifties at this point. Guess supply and demand, Great choice on your new trailer, happy travels!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT