ADVERTISEMENT

Who would you say was the most underrated player to play at UNC

Michael Jordan

No, I'm not kidding. Nobody knew he'd go on to be the GOAT. Therefore, MJ is the most underrated :cool:

Who would you choose.

Can you explain what you are asking when you say under rated? Is it a guy that came in under rated and had a great UNC career or maybe a guy well respected coming in but was not seen as having a great UNC career but played better than he seems to be remembered?

If it were the first type I would easy go with Hubert Davis, but the later case I would look at a guy like Kevin Madden.

Can you explain what you are asking when you say under rated? Is it a guy that came in under rated and had a great UNC career or maybe a guy well respected coming in but was not seen as having a great UNC career but played better than he seems to be remembered?

If it were the first type I would easy go with Hubert Davis, but the later case I would look at a guy like Kevin Madden.
Madden was a top 5 recruit , if anything he underachieved with a career scoring average under 10. He had one really solid year , so that may be where you are coming from.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1985-04-07/sports/8501200244_1_kevin-madden-commitment-recruiting

Came from nowhere to be good at UNC? H. Davis

Doesn't get credit besides Carolina fans? E. Cota ( was like 3rd guy with over 1,000 assist)

Biggest surprise in pros? Danny Green

Shammond Williams never got attention he deserved Because he played with some great.

Joseph Forte the most forgotten great college player.

A tie between george lynch and david noel. They both came in ad role players and both had that refuse to lose mentality. Did the little things and the dirty work. Best leaders on a team

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
David Noel. His play was underrated but more importantly, he was the most underrated leader we've had. I credit a lot of the success of the Hansbrough years to David's leadership of that freshman class.

Noel was the first that came to my mind, but Jawad and Hubert are good answers also. Those two, along with Rick Fox, are the only guys in the top 25 in points scored to not have their jerseys in the rafters.

Reactions: tarheel0910
George lynch. Noone outside of loyal fans knew anything about him. But he was mvp of the team imho.

I knew something about him in high school. He played for Patrick Henry in Roanoke for his first 3 years. They were somewhat of a rival of my high school - E.C. Glass in Lynchburg, VA. We had a stud on our team named Tim Pennix who was being looked at by some decent programs. And when it came time that he was going to be matched up against another stud in George Lynch, the local media hyped it up. Lynch destroyed him with a stat line of like 34 and 16 while our guy finished with something like 10 and 4. It was a total mismatch. As we all know Lynch went on to lead the Heels to a national championship. Our guy Pennix ended up playing at Rider.

I knew something about him in high school. He played for Patrick Henry in Roanoke for his first 3 years. They were somewhat of a rival of my high school - E.C. Glass in Lynchburg, VA. We had a stud on our team named Tim Pennix who was being looked at by some decent programs. And when it came time that he was going to be matched up against another stud in George Lynch, the local media hyped it up. Lynch destroyed him with a stat line of like 34 and 16 while our guy finished with something like 10 and 4. It was a total mismatch. As we all know Lynch went on to lead the Heels to a national championship. Our guy Pennix ended up playing at Rider.

I went to GW in Danville and Glass was our main rival back in the 60's. Is that still the case ?
As I remember it was a fairly even between the two in both bb and fb.

A player who wasn't highly recruited.

I went to GW in Danville and Glass was our main rival back in the 60's. Is that still the case ?
As I remember it was a fairly even between the two in both bb and fb.

No. That is no longer the case. I played soccer for Glass in the late 80s/early 90s and GW was still a big rival of ours then. I played against Rafael Garcia (who you might remember went on to be a placekicker at UVa - he was a hell of a soccer player). But the enrollment of E.C. Glass has dropped so much over the years due to people leaving the city and moving into the county. Glass has been dropped to a lower level. Subsequently, the county schools - Jefferson Forest, Brookville, Amherst, etc have grown in size and have jumped up a level. I don't think GW and Glass play each other in anything now although I admit I don't pay much attention to it. Go Hilltoppers!

Tyler Hansbrough. You almost never hear his name mentioned on ACC broadcasts even though he is All Time ACC scorer and sooooo much more. His list of accolades is long. Had he played at dook we would hear about him all the freakin' time. As it is he is pretty much mentioned only when he is in the house. I believe even a lot of Tar Heel fans sell him short.

"#50 Tyler Hansbrough (2005-09)

Poplar Bluff, Mo.

Retired Jersey: National Player of the Year, First-Team All-America, ACC Player of the Year, MVP of NCAA champions

Earned first-team All-America and first-team All-ACC honors in each of his four seasons, the only player in ACC history to accomplish those feats • First in ACC and 12th in NCAA history with 2,872 points • Carolina's all-time leading scorer in NCAA Tournament play with 325 points, fourth-most in NCAA history behind only Christian Laettner, Elvin Hayes and Danny Manning • Holds NCAA career record for made free throws (982) and is second in free throw attempts (1,241) • The 2008 National Player of the Year, ACC Player of the Year, ACC Male Athlete of the Year, ACC Tournament MVP, NCAA East Regional Player of the Year • Consensus first-team All-America in 2007, 2008 and 2009, the 14th three-time consensus All-America since 1945 and the first since 1985 • Only player in ACC history to lead his school in scoring and rebounding for four seasons • Became the 13th player in ACC history and the first Tar Heel to earn first-team All-ACC Tournament honors three times • Third Tar Heel to earn a spot on All-NCAA Regional Team in three seasons • Set the ACC record for career 20-point games • Set the ACC record for career double-figure games with 133 • Broke Sam Perkins' UNC rebounding record (finished with 1,219) • Averaged 20.2 points, the sixth-highest average in UNC history • Helped Carolina achieve a 120-22 record, including 50-14 in ACC regular-season play, 8-2 in ACC Tournament action and 14-3 in the NCAA Tournament • Three consecutive No. 1 seeds in the NCAA Tournament (and a No. 3 in 2006), two Final Fours (2008, 2009) and the 2009 NCAA title • Three consecutive ACC regular-season championships • Won all four games at Duke • First-round pick by the Indiana Pacers in the 2009 NBA Draft."

Reactions: JuleZ '02 HEEL
Rayshawn Terry

I don't think I'd consider him underrated. I think he's appropriately rated. If anything, I felt he underperformed in relation to his athletic ability. Dude was a freak athlete that never took full advantage of his God given abilities. He did have some memorable dunks though. This one being my favorite of his career:

Speaking of watching guys in high school versus future Tar Heels, I saw Reyshawn match up against LeBron in an MLK tournament in Greensboro during LeBron's senior year of high school. Obviously they matched up against each other and again it was a mismatch but with our future Tar Heel on the wrong side. I think LeBron went for 35+ and Terry only about 12-15. But more mesmerizing than the game itself was LeBron in warm ups. He came out onto the floor, took 5 jumpshots from halfcourt (jumpshots, mind you, not heaves), made the first 4 before missing the last one and then walked back into the lockerroom.

Michael Jordan

No, I'm not kidding. Nobody knew he'd go on to be the GOAT. Therefore, MJ is the most underrated :cool:
You MUST BE kidding! Michael Jordan was National Player of the Year while at UNC. I don't call that being underrated.

Tyler Hansbrough. You almost never hear his name mentioned on ACC broadcasts even though he is All Time ACC scorer and sooooo much more. His list of accolades is long. Had he played at dook we would hear about him all the freakin' time. As it is he is pretty much mentioned only when he is in the house. I believe even a lot of Tar Heel fans sell him short.

"#50 Tyler Hansbrough (2005-09)

Poplar Bluff, Mo.

Retired Jersey: National Player of the Year, First-Team All-America, ACC Player of the Year, MVP of NCAA champions

Earned first-team All-America and first-team All-ACC honors in each of his four seasons, the only player in ACC history to accomplish those feats • First in ACC and 12th in NCAA history with 2,872 points • Carolina's all-time leading scorer in NCAA Tournament play with 325 points, fourth-most in NCAA history behind only Christian Laettner, Elvin Hayes and Danny Manning • Holds NCAA career record for made free throws (982) and is second in free throw attempts (1,241) • The 2008 National Player of the Year, ACC Player of the Year, ACC Male Athlete of the Year, ACC Tournament MVP, NCAA East Regional Player of the Year • Consensus first-team All-America in 2007, 2008 and 2009, the 14th three-time consensus All-America since 1945 and the first since 1985 • Only player in ACC history to lead his school in scoring and rebounding for four seasons • Became the 13th player in ACC history and the first Tar Heel to earn first-team All-ACC Tournament honors three times • Third Tar Heel to earn a spot on All-NCAA Regional Team in three seasons • Set the ACC record for career 20-point games • Set the ACC record for career double-figure games with 133 • Broke Sam Perkins' UNC rebounding record (finished with 1,219) • Averaged 20.2 points, the sixth-highest average in UNC history • Helped Carolina achieve a 120-22 record, including 50-14 in ACC regular-season play, 8-2 in ACC Tournament action and 14-3 in the NCAA Tournament • Three consecutive No. 1 seeds in the NCAA Tournament (and a No. 3 in 2006), two Final Fours (2008, 2009) and the 2009 NCAA title • Three consecutive ACC regular-season championships • Won all four games at Duke • First-round pick by the Indiana Pacers in the 2009 NBA Draft."

Tyler is the greatest player to ever play for UNC in my opinion. So I can't say he's underrated.

I don't think I'd consider him underrated. I think he's appropriately rated. If anything, I felt he underperformed in relation to his athletic ability. Dude was a freak athlete that never took full advantage of his God given abilities. He did have some memorable dunks though. This one being my favorite of his career:

Speaking of watching guys in high school versus future Tar Heels, I saw Reyshawn match up against LeBron in an MLK tournament in Greensboro during LeBron's senior year of high school. Obviously they matched up against each other and again it was a mismatch but with our future Tar Heel on the wrong side. I think LeBron went for 35+ and Terry only about 12-15. But more mesmerizing than the game itself was LeBron in warm ups. He came out onto the floor, took 5 jumpshots from halfcourt (jumpshots, mind you, not heaves), made the first 4 before missing the last one and then walked back into the lockerroom.
I thought Lebron went from the 6th grade to the NBA.

A tie between george lynch and david noel. They both came in ad role players and both had that refuse to lose mentality. Did the little things and the dirty work. Best leaders on a team

Lynch was a McDonalds AA and set a rebounding record in that game. Wasn't under rated at all. He did what was expected...being a tenacious leader.

Hubert has to be right there.
David Noel would also be a good choice.

Lot of the guys named above were highly rated Mickey Ds.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT