ADVERTISEMENT

Will off the court issues, cause 4 Hall of Fame Coaches to leave early?

Tigertown_a_Rick

Hall of Famer
Jul 29, 2001
As most probably know by now, Duke and Coach K now have their own athelete-related scandal to handle after today's revelations about Sulaimon, and it got me to thinking: At what point does Coach K, Coach Williams, Coach Pitino and Coach Boeheim say, they've made a good living, won a championship or two, but this off-the-court BS, and constant negative barage by Media types who are more interested and Hellbent on writing the Big Story, rather than waiting for the actual TRUTH to come out, has got me thinking more and more about retirement?

Coach Williams has really withstood the most negative garbage of late, ranging from the Larry Drew saga and the Wear Brothers transferring, the PJ Hairston dismissal and finally the Academic firestorm that has engulfed the university....Issues that Williams had nothing to do with, but he is the one who has to answer questions which in a lot of cases has nothing to do with his job of coaching basketball, but those negative issues, especially the academic questions, have most definitely had an impact on recruiting, and signing some of the best players, and believe that even RW would admit that?....When does it get so unrelenting and overbearing that RW says," I've had enough, and it's somebody else's turn?"....

Coach Pitino and Coach K find themselves in a situation where former players that they dismissed from the team this year, were alledgedly accused of Sexual Assault/Rape after they left the team....Both players were dismissed prior to the news being released about the alledged sexual assalts, but the Media is determined to find out if the Coaches knew of this before and if so, why didn't they dismiss the players earlier?.....The incident involving Sulaimon happened 10months ago if I read the story correctly, and the Coaches and some School administrators according to the article, knew about this incident, but Duke chose to keep Sulaimon on the team because NO charges were levied by the two victims at that time, and both refused to answer any questions about the incidents when questioned if I also read that correctly?.....Of course, this is not the first time Coach Pitino has been embroiled in a sexual misconduct conversation as he was caught with an Assistant Coach's wife in a resturant in Louisville a few years ago....He was able to save his marriage and his head coaching job at Louisville after his own transgressions, but what about those of a former player?.....Remember, Chris Jones was dismissed, and then allowed back on the team for a brief time before finally being dismissed permanently, and the same can be said about Sulaimon.....At what point, does both Pitino and Coach K , throw in the towel, or choose to go Coach in the NBA to finish their coaching career?

Coach Boeheim's situation also involves academics/benefits from several years ago when James Southerland was a player for the Orange....He and another player(?) whose name escapes me at the moment. were alledged to have been involved in this infraction that is being currently investigated by the NCAA....Hence, Syracuse's decision to try to minimize future NCAA Sanctions by removing their team from the upcoming ACC and NCAA tournaments.....Also remember former assistant Bernie Fines being accused of sexual misconduct with a minor, that led to him leaving the team...Although, I think the accusers eventually recanted part or all of their stories, but the damage was already done to Fines' reputation, by then?.....Much like RW,MK and RP, when does these off-the-court distractions finally signal the end for Boeheim?

Four Hall of Fame Coaches who are constantly under the microscope of the ever-growing media frenzy about all that's wrong with College Atheletics, will not be around to answer those countless media questions for many more years.....The question is, how long will that be?

For me personally, I hope that all 4 guys stay the course, and don't let the Media drive them from the game that they all love!

Opinions and Comments welcomed!

Interesting. Boeheim, he is getting up there, I could see him retiring soon. I don't see Pitino retiring. If Roy can get through this season, things should get better. K is too arrogant to retire, plus Duke will bury anything that happened, they are good at that and hiding before their private college crap.

Originally posted by Tigertown@Rick:
For me personally, I hope that all 4 guys stay the course, and don't let the Media drive them from the game that they all love!
I'm right there

I don't see Pitino leaving. The Ville handled the situation completely aboveboard and properly.

However if dook DID boot Sula after finding out a student intern with the details had resigned I can see someone at dook getting fired.

Cuse fans are still too busy believing they are above reproach to fire Boeheim. Roy, safe as can be.
This post was edited on 3/2 5:32 PM by NENCHeel

Roy will either pull a Coach Smith maneuver and retire where promotion from within is the only option (Coach Gut), or have replacement in the bag, whenever that is.

Petino, the walking corpse...
smokin.r191677.gif

Tony Bennett is more likely to send those guys into early retirement than any of the issues the OP mentions.

Originally posted by gunslingerdick:
Tony Bennett is more likely to send those guys into early retirement than any of the issues the OP mentions.
Do you really believe that?

Roy's Retirement

is it imminent? Is it time? The last three years have been down according to Carolina standards. Has he lost his touch?

Re: Roy's Retirement

I don't see Roy retiring for another 6 years at a bare minimum. As long as he has the energy to work the recruiting trail at the same pace he always has, then barring any health issues, he isn't going anywhere for at least 6 more years, and furthermore, I don't want him to.

wink.r191677.gif

Would it not be great if Roy surprised everyone and won another title before putting himself out to stud! Every great fighter has one great fight left in him. Hope Roy can make one more run before retiring.

Originally posted by BillyL:

I don't see Roy retiring for another 6 years at a bare minimum. As long as he has the energy to work the recruiting trail at the same pace he always has, then barring any health issues, he isn't going anywhere for at least 6 more years, and furthermore, I don't want him to.

wink.r191677.gif
^this

I wish I could put a 1 in front of that 6, but at his age that's not happening.

[/B]

Originally posted by PolkCountyBullGator:

Originally posted by BillyL:

wink.r191677.gif
^this

I wish I could put a 1 in front of that 6, but at his age that's not happening.

[/B]
PCBG . .

With a very solid coaching staff, I think Roy might be willing to go 10 more years, barring health issues of course . . Imy greatest worry is how long his health holds out.

When we get to the point that we are now at in CBB isn't it just time to call it what it is - Business. Big business. Multi billion dollar business. We all know these guys are not at UNC or Duke for an education. They are here and there because it was a wise business decision. It has nothing to do with academics. The market will decide who to pay, as well as the universities.

Early? Hell all 4 are card carrying members of AARP ! Retirement is coming shortly for all of them ! Time for some new blood ! Coach K is a vampire though , so he may suck the life out of a couple of Assistants to coach another 20 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT