ADVERTISEMENT

Will the staff be the same next year?

WoadBlue

Hall of Famer
Aug 15, 2008
If so, what can we hope will be better (perhaps even injuries)?

I think the Fedora issues stem from his faith in his offense. Perhaps I should say HIS offense. Fedora strikes me as having a nearly hubristic sense of offense that belongs to him. He may be willing to entertain the thought that he needs to overhaul the D staff and get new ideas, but he is above needing new blood and new ideas on his offense.

If Fedora does not become more flexible than he has shown, more willing to make major adjustments in regard not merely to offensive staff but even to basic ways of doing things and emphases, then I expect him to become more stale as HC.

A new DC will change nothing. Because Fedora's focus is offense, everything flowing from what he wants to do on offense, changes on D are unlikely to be more than cosmetic - unless Fedora changes something rather major on offense.

And I think we all know that OC is a major issue for the program. At best, Kapilovic has shown that he was not ready to be both OC and OL coach, that the more time and focus he expended as OC would hinder the development of our OL.

Will Fedora replace him? Kapilovic has been with Fedora the entire time Fedora has been HC. So Kapilovic being replaced will strike Fedora as at least the next worst thing to his entire offense being questioned. Fedora may have agreed to remake his staff on D,. after major pressure from boosters, but would pressure from boosters persuade him to demote Kapilovic to OL coach and bring in a new OC?

I doubt it, because that new OC would not be a devotee of Fedora and/or 'Fedora's offense.' And new blood as OC, new ideas on offense, will mean that Fedora's offense will be changed.

Fedora is the type to swill a case of Red Bull and stand his ground that he is not relieving the duties of anyone who has served him as long as Kapilovic has, that he will not hire a new OC, that his offense is perfectly able to dominate the ACC as it is: based on his expertise.

So what do I expect next year? A few flashes of brilliance. Many signs of potential excellence down the road. Many idiotic penalties, the number beyond frustrating. A large number of brain farts in play calling. A sinking realization that once again we have seen little development of players from the end of the 2017 season, especially in the trenches. A sinking realization that though we have few 2018 seniors, we will lose enough seniors in key positions that Fedora will have a built-in excuse for why it is absurd to expect him to win more than 8 regular season games in 2019. And never-ending Fedora uber stubbornness, certainly about anything to do with his precious offense.

And that ads up to a lot more frustration.

Carolina needs a new quarterbacks coach and the OL coach needs to be replaced too.

hire a play-caller or call it yourself...it’s your offense, stand up and call it.

in fact, tell us how much you changed it up after week 8...just own it and live or die with it.

Carolina needs a new quarterbacks coach and the OL coach needs to be replaced too.
The OC and OL coach are one and the same.

The QB coach may be helpless in this situation, as the HC sees the offense as HIS and the OC/OL coach is the only staff member who has been with Fedora every year he's been HC back to Southern Miss.

That is the reason I say that what we need is a powerful. celebrated OC brought in to whip it all into shape: UNC alum Kevin Wilson is my pick.

I'm with gteeitup. Fed owns the O and calls the plays. It's not like he's doing anything for the D anyway. Finally get away from the slight of hand play calling duties where no one knows who is making the call.

Would be careful about changing much on D. Only 1 year for this staff and losing Chizik probably wasn't expected. Do need to get to recruiting.

Reactions: Archer2
Gotta wonder about everyone offense-side aside for Gunter Brewer. Not many OCs coach the ol, so shuffling be be weird.

How about hiring a high profile HC, paying him market value, and then letting him hire the best OC and DC ?? Why is this so hard to grasp ?? When UNC wanted the best basketball HC, they hired Roy Williams. Please explain why they shouldn't do the same with football ??

The OC and OL coach are one and the same.

The QB coach may be helpless in this situation, as the HC sees the offense as HIS and the OC/OL coach is the only staff member who has been with Fedora every year he's been HC back to Southern Miss.

That is the reason I say that what we need is a powerful. celebrated OC brought in to whip it all into shape: UNC alum Kevin Wilson is my pick.

The quarterbacks coach is also the recruiting coordinator.
Heckendorf should have known better that to start Harris against California and had two years to get Elliott ready and a year to have Surratt ready to go, why start someone with very little experience with the team.
Whether we are recruiting the wrong players or they are ill-prepared it is still Heckendorf's responsibility.
Now if Fedora won't let his coaches coach.................then we have uncovered the real problem.

How about hiring a high profile HC, paying him market value, and then letting him hire the best OC and DC ?? Why is this so hard to grasp ?? When UNC wanted the best basketball HC, they hired Roy Williams. Please explain why they shouldn't do the same with football ??
you gotta consider the stepping-stone factor. NC Bball is not a stepping-stone, NC Fball is. It's like VATech, right? Fuentes has had two decent yrs and there are already rumors that teams like Tenn are coming for him.

"Market value" pay alone doesn't do it either, coaches will still go when the traditional powers come calling. We could've tried to offer the Texas money but Mack Brown still would've left.

What high profile coach wants to come here? I'm sure Bubba would be willing to hire one, but just because he is willing doesn't mean that they want to come. UNC isn't a destination job, it's used as a pit stop.

It can be a destination job but the circumstances have to be just right. We nearly had Spurrier once. Probably has to be the last stop for a coach, not the first major stop.

So were gonna pretend Fedora hasn’t presided over the most potent offensive stretch in UNC history that saw two different OC’s get HC jobs?

The quarterbacks coach is also the recruiting coordinator.
Heckendorf should have known better that to start Harris against California and had two years to get Elliott ready and a year to have Surratt ready to go, why start someone with very little experience with the team.
Whether we are recruiting the wrong players or they are ill-prepared it is still Heckendorf's responsibility.
Now if Fedora won't let his coaches coach.................then we have uncovered the real problem.

Heck prob should have played Byrd but I bet now he will transfers.

So were gonna pretend Fedora hasn’t presided over the most potent offensive stretch in UNC history that saw two different OC’s get HC jobs?

So we're gonna pretend all of Fedora's defenses haven't been pathetic? Last time I checked you need more than offense to compete at a high level.

We're going to ignore he's 2-4 against Duke.
3-3 against NC State. 1-1 against WAKE FOREST. 1-2 against ECU and one of those games we gave up 70 freaking points.

And "in UNC history" lmao. Outside of, eh, 10 years that predate WW2 if you actually want to count those, 4 years in the mid to late '40s, 4 years under Dooley in the '70s, 4 or 5 years under Crum, and 4 years under Mack we pretty much have NO history. So that isn't saying much.

So we're gonna pretend all of Fedora's defenses haven't been pathetic? Last time I checked you need more than offense to compete at a high level.

We're going to ignore he's 2-4 against Duke.
3-3 against NC State. 1-1 against WAKE FOREST. 1-2 against ECU and one of those games we gave up 70 freaking points.

And "in UNC history" lmao. Outside of, eh, 10 years that predate WW2 if you actually want to count those, 4 years in the mid to late '40s, 4 years under Dooley in the '70s, 4 or 5 years under Crum, and 4 years under Mack we pretty much have NO history. So that isn't saying much.
No one is pretending his defenses have been woefully. I was happy when he went out and got Chizik, but let's not forget Chizik quit. He should have been there this year. It gave us a bumpy start learning a slightly different system. But Pap adjusted and the team got better despite heavy losses.

Back to my point, people are railing on the offense after one bad year. I get bitching about the defense, but not the offense.

No one is pretending his defenses have been woefully. I was happy when he went out and got Chizik, but let's not forget Chizik quit. He should have been there this year. It gave us a bumpy start learning a slightly different system. But Pap adjusted and the team got better despite heavy losses.

Back to my point, people are railing on the offense after one bad year. I get bitching about the defense, but not the offense.
And let's not forget that special teams have been really good every yr under Fed.

Gotta wonder about everyone offense-side aside for Gunter Brewer. Not many OCs coach the ol, so shuffling be be weird.
The OL has 5 guys playing on all downs. That is almost half the players. And guys on the OL on average need more time to develop than, say, WRs. So maybe being OC and OL coach is a tougher job than being OC and WR coach or OC and QB coach (only 1 QB playing at a time).

Perhaps a way to get handle on at least the way I make this emphasis is to think of a car hitting the ice and starting to slide. What seems like the natural ting to do to at least 90% of driver's? And what should driver's do?

When a football HC is offensive-minded, you cannot make significant and lasting changes to the program unless they are rooted in the way offense is done. Ditto the other side of the ball. Most fans think the opposite, because that seems natural. But this is another of counter-intuitive things.

I was the same way with Butch, but as Butch was a D-focused HC, I was harping about how to make the program Elite, Butch had to get more from all that D talent he assembled (which I still think required him hiring an innovative, unpredictable DC -every halfway decent OC could predict what Withers would do in any situation).

Fedora's offense makes DCs seem worse than they are. Koenning was definitely an above average DC before Fedora, and he sucked under Fedora, and now he once again looks like a sound, even high quality, DC. Chizik looked like a MUCH better DC before he coached under Fedora than he did under Fedora.

The problems on D for a Fedora team begin, and end, with Fedora and his offense. If you do not make changes in the way the offense is run, in the game planning and play calling, in the recruiting, then changes on D will be little more than cosmetic, with any improvements being fleeting.

How do you know why Chizik left? As stubborn as Fedora is, I'd say it is more than possible that Chizik left n frustration that Fedora would not make changes that he, Chizik, suggested.

If Chixik said X should be done differently to help the D, Fedora would say: That's not who we are. That's not what we do.

How do you know why Chizik left? As stubborn as Fedora is, I'd say it is more than possible that Chizik left n frustration that Fedora would not make changes that he, Chizik, suggested.

If Chixik said X should be done differently to help the D, Fedora would say: That's not who we are. That's not what we do.
I.e. a quitter

I.e. a quitter
Well, if you think it is the job of any coordinator to stick with the HC no matter how pigheaded the HC is, then 'quitter' would be a proper term for someone who just had enough of spending that much time trying to help Fedora.

But be certain to factor in the things about Chizik that mark him as clearly superior to Fedora: Broyles Award, National Champ as DC, National Champ as HC.

Well, if you think it is the job of any coordinator to stick with the HC no matter how pigheaded the HC is, then 'quitter' would be a proper term for someone who just had enough of spending that much time trying to help Fedora.

But be certain to factor in the things about Chizik that mark him as clearly superior to Fedora: Broyles Award, National Champ as DC, National Champ as HC.
you are assuming several things:

- chizik made offensive suggestions
- larry ignored those suggestions
-chizik was so petty, he took his ball and went home

The more likely scenario is Chiz and Larry worked well together but Gene missed his family and didn't want to coach anymore. Which is why he isn't coaching.

To your last point, he can thank Vince Young and Cam Newton those titles. He has a spotty record as a HC. He is a good man, but not a better HC than Fedora.

There was a clear improvement in the defense with Chiz, and that's with using existing personnel. Chiz was only going to be here for 3 years anyway, wish he had stayed but I suspect family was calling him. Don't know how he got along with Fed, guessing it was luke warm. I've always suspected Chiz was kind of pushed on Fed anyway (or at least a change in the DC). I also suspect he was here to pass along info on how a major football school went about doing things, which I think could have been more valuable than running the D.

you are assuming several things:

- chizik made offensive suggestions
- larry ignored those suggestions
-chizik was so petty, he took his ball and went home

The more likely scenario is Chiz and Larry worked well together but Gene missed his family and didn't want to coach anymore. Which is why he isn't coaching.

To your last point, he can thank Vince Young and Cam Newton those titles. He has a spotty record as a HC. He is a good man, but not a better HC than Fedora.
Promoting Fedora becomes ever so much more like defending and excusing Bunting. It is both fun and scary to see.

You also could say that Chizik owes his Broyles Award to Tommy Tuberville, and then you could claim that there is no way that Dan Mullen could have been a more successful OC at Florida than Fedora was if Fedora had not made it all possible before Mullen arrived.

I think your next topic should be how Koenning was made better by Fedora.

There was a clear improvement in the defense with Chiz, and that's with using existing personnel. Chiz was only going to be here for 3 years anyway, wish he had stayed but I suspect family was calling him. Don't know how he got along with Fed, guessing it was luke warm. I've always suspected Chiz was kind of pushed on Fed anyway (or at least a change in the DC). I also suspect he was here to pass along info on how a major football school went about doing things, which I think could have been more valuable than running the D.
There was indeed a great deal of chatter that wholesale changes on the D staff, including allowing the new DC to pick his own staff, were 'forced' on Fedora.

Everything I've seen and heard from Fedora tells me he is the type to be resistant to advice to make changes until he is given something akin to an ultimatum.

^ I heard chatter about 'forcing' a new OC situation, but zero stuff regarding 'force' of D staff. Vic lost the players and his system definitely wasn't working, Fed knew it and let Vic go.

What high profile coach wants to come here? I'm sure Bubba would be willing to hire one, but just because he is willing doesn't mean that they want to come. UNC isn't a destination job, it's used as a pit stop.

I bet Kevin Sumlin would listen.. He is getting all his 10 Mil from Texas A&M either way, why not collect a few more million from UNC and build a program.. Wishful thinking though

^ I heard chatter about 'forcing' a new OC situation, but zero stuff regarding 'force' of D staff. Vic lost the players and his system definitely wasn't working, Fed knew it and let Vic go.

Have you seen the Troy list of coaches?
Troy leads the Sun Belt conference and has beaten LSU this year.

http://www.troytrojans.com/coaches.aspx?path=football

Yep, our old buddy Vic. Maybe Vic's problems weren't his system or players, but someone that wouldn't let him do his job or choose to place recruiting emphasis on other players and not allow Vic to recruit what he needed.

Last edited:
Wasn't Vic Co-DC with somebody else at UNC? Was the 4-2-5 Vic's or Fed's idea?

Promoting Fedora becomes ever so much more like defending and excusing Bunting. It is both fun and scary to see.

You also could say that Chizik owes his Broyles Award to Tommy Tuberville, and then you could claim that there is no way that Dan Mullen could have been a more successful OC at Florida than Fedora was if Fedora had not made it all possible before Mullen arrived.

I think your next topic should be how Koenning was made better by Fedora.
Fedora and Bunting aren’t in the same stratosphere.

You are blinded by your hatred for all things Fedora.

Wasn't Vic Co-DC with somebody else at UNC? Was the 4-2-5 Vic's or Fed's idea?
Dan Disch might've been called co-dc, but I don't think so. That 4-2-5 was ALL Vic. Fed easily changed schemes when he sought Gene Chizik.

Have you seen the Troy list of coaches?
Troy leads the Sun Belt conference and has beaten LSU this year.

http://www.troytrojans.com/coaches.aspx?path=football

Yep, our old buddy Vic. Maybe Vic's problems weren't his system or players, but someone that wouldn't let him do his job or choose to place recruiting emphasis on other players and not allow Vic to recruit what he needed.
Fed was hands off regarding D scheme. I'm sure he and all the coaches weight-in on the recruiting.

Vic's prob (and some of Chiz' prob) were definitely personnel issues stemming from sanction-scholly-reduction and that Butch/Withers last few classes recruited very few LB and DE - hence why we were stuck with walk-ons at LB, and LB playing bandit, and tweener sized guys playing nose-tackle.

Regarding "system", Chiz took pretty much same personnel and fielded a much more competent team. I suspect that was mostly due to psyche and motivation of the players under Chiz.

how do you think the 2 signing days will affect assist coaching changes this year?
I bet we see a tiny bit more movement, but not much. Dameuyne Craig switched from Auburn to lsu post signing day, then a yr later left lsu post signing-day. He's considered one of the best recruiters out there, so you know he was kept around for a reason.

It seems to happen a lot.

Chad Scott switched from Kentucky rb coach to UNC te coach just a few days before signing day.

Rumor has it a former player and coach just may be coming home. Very good recruiter. We shall see.

does his name rhyme with dommy migpen?

I didn't want to say it due to all the angst it seems to provoke. His name seems to pop up every off season, and after last year I would have almost bet it would never happen, but apparently this time it has legs.

I didn't want to say it due to all the angst it seems to provoke. His name seems to pop up every off season, and after last year I would have almost bet it would never happen, but apparently this time it has legs.
I was thinking he had burned his bridges here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT