ADVERTISEMENT

WR Depth Note

andrew jones

Hall of Famer
Staff
Jul 21, 2014
UNC offensive coordinator Chris Kapilovic met with the media after Wednesday’s practice and among the things he discussed was the situation at wide receiver now with Mack Hollins out for the season.

It appears that junior Austin Proehl will start in place of Hollins, and backups Anthony Ratliff-Williams and Jordan Cunningham will get a lot more reps. Thomas Jackson should also see more time.

Coach Kap was asked about the situation there:

“Coach Brewer has done a good job since the beginning of camp rotating those guys around. Obviously, we had to go in the first half of the first game without him so we got a lot of work done in camp, so that’s the good thing, it’s not like it’s something we hadn’t done yet. So those guys all had reps, Bug both sides, Proehl outside. We’re getting Ratliff a little more involved, Cunningham a little more involved. I feel like we’ve got a good plan and some able bodies to come in and handle the situation.”

Asked specifically about the depth behind the reserves, noting Juval Mollette, who was a 4-star prospect in 2015, Kap said:

“I think right now the guys that we’re looking forward to step up right now, Jackson’s been there, so that’s a good thing, and I think we need Ratliff and Cunningham, two guys that are going to get more reps than they’ve had and we need them to step up.”

So, he had a chance to note some other players and did not, so one can presume that at this time the rotation essentially ends with Ratliff-Williams, Cunningham and Jackson as backups. Also note, though, that tailback Khris Francis sometimes lines up in slot or other receiver spots, and T.J. Logan has in the past, as well. So, maybe we will see more of them doing that, as well.

Reactions: timammer and DF1972
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News