ADVERTISEMENT

10 Games In...

Dec 18, 2019
(6-4, 1-2). Here's my thoughts/analysis

1) There's not (CURRENTLY) an ACC caliber PG on this roster. Caleb and RJ are trying, but they are nowhere near close. It's gonna take time. I think RJ has the best chance as a PG. Watching games, I wonder about Caleb's Basketball IQ.

2) Day'Ron = STAR. 1 more year from him and he would be an All-American candidate, but the way he is moving on draft boards now, not sure we'll get to see Year 2 out of him.

3) Defensive fundamentals with this group are not good. Their hedges are bad. Their closeouts are bad. Their help & recover is bad. Guarding the ball is bad. Too many lapses in concentration. Too many missed assignments. There has got to be more buy in from the guys to become a better defensive team.

4) Kerwin needs as many minutes as he can stand. Just his sheer presence on the floor has opened up the paint exponentially more than it has been all year. I'd also like to see Puff be more assertive and aggressive on the offensive end. He's still got that "deer in the headlight look," but once he just starts playing, and stops thinking, he can be a valuable weapon.

5) Garrison has got to break out of his funk. Not sure if it's his number of touches, his benching, or just the fact that he's not playing well, but something is going on.

6) Offensively, I think a small ball lineup could help this team. 4 guards would open up the floor more for drives and post touches. The way the game has evolved, playing 2 bigs is getting harder and harder, ESPECIALLY if you're a poor shooting team. Not saying it can't be done, because Coach Williams has proved that it can, but there's a premium on shooting.

May/Williams/Williams = Great, but Felton, McCants, Scott could really shoot it, as could Jawad and Marvin from that 4 spot

Hanbrough/Thompson/Davis = Amazing, but Ty/Wayne/Danny was one of the best shooting backcourts we've ever had. And just think about some of those times when we went small with Danny at the 4 how lethal we were

Meeks/Hicks/Bradley = Very Good, but Joel and JJ could fill it up, and Nate was a good enough shooter. Theo wasn't a great shooter, but he was a playmaker. We also had a very good different look with that team going small with Theo at the 4 some.

Just my thoughts as we move forward. I still think we can be very good, it's just not going to be as aesthetically pleasing as teams in years past..

Reactions: tarwhiz
If you play small ball with 4 extremely good inside players, you might as well sign their transfer papers now and never expect to have a loaded front line like this again.

What I have noticed though is that the bigs are extremely bad at or not instructed to clear out of the lane for a driver. So we have zero penetration ever. Thus, we never really get open wing shooters unless the play breaks down. This also causes a lot less movement on the floor. Even screening for ball handlers and open shooters seems to happen very rarely.

It's mostly our perimeter players pass around the key and try to get an entry pass every time. Very little screening. No penetration. I think this is also why Love ane Davis are struggling. Love is a slasher who cannot slash.

You can’t unlock this offence with bad PG play. Unless RJ or Caleb can flip the switch we are a .500 team. Roy should be calling Sallis daily or look at the transfer market

Reactions: Tarheels39
If you play small ball with 4 extremely good inside players, you might as well sign their transfer papers now and never expect to have a loaded front line like this again.

What I have noticed though is that the bigs are extremely bad at or not instructed to clear out of the lane for a driver. So we have zero penetration ever. Thus, we never really get open wing shooters unless the play breaks down. This also causes a lot less movement on the floor. Even screening for ball handlers and open shooters seems to happen very rarely.

It's mostly our perimeter players pass around the key and try to get an entry pass every time. Very little screening. No penetration. I think this is also why Love ane Davis are struggling. Love is a slasher who cannot slash.

You're definitely right. And I'm not saying you have to go exclusively small this year. But can look at changing recruiting philosophies down the line and look for more of those hybrid guys at the 4 spot that can play inside and out, like Jawad or Marvin.

You can’t unlock this offence with bad PG play. Unless RJ or Caleb can flip the switch we are a .500 team. Roy should be calling Sallis daily or look at the transfer market

You're halfway right. The PG play is abysmal. But what does Sallis do for us? Come in and struggle as a freshman and then leave? This is the issue. To play PG in Roy's system and for us to be successful, the PG has to play the position at a B+ level or better and it's impossible for a freshman to play PG at Carolina at a B+ level or better. He can maybe get there by his sophomore year, but even that's unlikely. Most will get there by their junior year but who stays that long anymore? This is the issue. Kids are built differently these days. Kids are less patient. No one wants to wait their turn and learn over the course of several years.

RJ Davis is the answer...in two more years. He will be really good for us when he's a junior and senior and he's the type of kid that will most likely still be here. But I don't see an answer for this year or next, frankly.

You're halfway right. The PG play is abysmal. But what does Sallis do for us? Come in and struggle as a freshman and then leave? This is the issue. To play PG in Roy's system and for us to be successful, the PG has to play the position at a B+ level or better and it's impossible for a freshman to play PG at Carolina at a B+ level or better. He can maybe get there by his sophomore year, but even that's unlikely. Most will get there by their junior year but who stays that long anymore? This is the issue. Kids are built differently these days. Kids are less patient. No one wants to wait their turn and learn over the course of several years.

RJ Davis is the answer...in two more years. He will be really good for us when he's a junior and senior and he's the type of kid that will most likely still be here. But I don't see an answer for this year or next, frankly.
A freshman can handle it as long as there is experience around him. Coby did great, because he had some experience around him. Experience can cover up freshman mistakes. We don't have that this year. But I agree that this system works better with an experienced point guard, which is why Roy needs to adjust to what he has.

A freshman can handle it as long as there is experience around him. Coby did great, because he had some experience around him. Experience can cover up freshman mistakes. We don't have that this year. But I agree that this system works better with an experienced point guard, which is why Roy needs to adjust to what he has.

Coby is the outlier. His shooting made up for a lot of mistakes he made. And even then, that team wasn't that good. We won a lot of regular season games but got our doors blown off in the 3rd round of the NCAA tournament. Coby was 0-7 from 3 in that game.

I guess, if everything comes together, with a super talented freshman that has experience around him, it can be done. But 95% of the time, a freshman is not going to be successful steering Roy's ship.

What we have been missing is that PG that is more facilitator than primary scorer. Speed, quickness, ball handles and strong ball security, the mindset of getting the ball to his team mates in a position for them to have an easier finish. Ed Cota, Ray, Ty, Kendal; guys that went in to attack mode no matter if it was from a rebound or made basket but didn't look to be primary scorers unless they had the clear lane and knew they could finish (example Ty at times being a 1 man fast break even off made baskets). Heck, I pissed gary off several times by suggesting that Joel took on to much of a scorers mentality but Joel did have us in proper sets and executed our secondary breaks nearly flawless. But I didn't like him settling for so many long jumpers when he could have been working more to get a guy like Hicks more involved. Compared to how our PGs look at things this season as well as Cole last season, Joel was Ed Cota! LOL

In Roy's system, the PG is the QB, he gets the ball to his mates in position to do good things. Our PGs have to not just consider the primary pass but the potential next pass after. So far our guys 1 single focus, see man, pass ball to man, TO. They don't seem to be able to see the whole court, just that straight line point A to point B. Kinda reminds me a bit of the QB we had a while Back, Marquise Williams, really big time running QB but a poor passer, tended way to often to stare down his receivers and defenders read his head turn and eyes, they knew where the pass was going before it was thrown. We tend to call that telegraphing your pass in basketball. Look off, simple ball fakes, easy stuff that get defenders leaning the wrong way, watch Walton do this. When you telegraph your pass the defense is already rotating on you, when you don't use ball fakes you pass it around within the natural flow of the defense, you don't move the defense in a way that creates openings. When our PGs drive, watch how often they do so without their head up, meaning they are driving as hard and fast as their body will allow but they are not driving in control, you can not be in control if you do not have your head up to be able to see what the defense is doing or where you bail out options are. Kendal was the master of keeping his head up, he saw everything, he consistently broke the natural flow of defenses he went against.

Now both Love and RJ do attack but they struggle to control their attack, slow down maybe half a step and keep your head up so you can see your options and every now and then consider kicking the ball back out before you are so deep in the paint that you can't. That will come in time and this will be a much harder team to deal with.

Coby is the outlier. His shooting made up for a lot of mistakes he made. And even then, that team wasn't that good. We won a lot of regular season games but got our doors blown off in the 3rd round of the NCAA tournament. Coby was 0-7 from 3 in that game.

I guess, if everything comes together, with a super talented freshman that has experience around him, it can be done. But 95% of the time, a freshman is not going to be successful steering Roy's ship.

Yeah, I've completely flipped on this one after seeing Caleb struggle so much.

I went from thinking Cole struggling was the outlier to now thinking it was Coby's success. @tarheel0910 is right that it definitely helps to have Luke, Cam, etc. around the freshman PG but I'm fully on the no OAD PGs anymore train.

I honestly don't even want Sallis. I think sophomores Caleb and RJ will be better than him and I'm with you that RJ will be very good as an upperclassman.

I honestly don't even want Sallis. I think sophomores Caleb and RJ will be better than him and I'm with you
That goes back to my point that Roy is going to need to adjust his recruiting style or adjust his style of play. Basically, either recruit 2-4 year players or dumb down the system enough for these freshman who don't get it. To be fair to Roy though, Coby wasn't expected to be a OAD. Things look significantly different with a junior Coby.

I went from thinking Cole struggling was the outlier to now thinking it was Coby's success. @tarheel0910 is right that it definitely helps to have Luke, Cam, etc. around the freshman PG but I'm fully on the no OAD PGs anymore train.

I honestly don't even want Sallis. I think sophomores Caleb and RJ will be better than him and I'm with you that RJ will be very good as an upperclassman.
I completly aggree with this, but shouldnt the anwser be that Ole Roy needs to adjust his approach to the talent he has? Isint that what a good coach would do?

Reactions: Tarheels39
Wow! Questioning our freshman PGs basketball IQ when he is paired with another freshman SG and a SF that shoots 20% from deep? Trying to learn Ol’Roys system is hard enough but throw in that Love didn’t get any help from coaches or alumni last spring or summer due to Covid! Pretty harsh assessment!

Going small ball only works when your small players can shoot! So far, besides Walton who has only taken 27 shots, ours can’t! 3 of our 4 bigs are shooting over 50%(Bacot67%) and Brooks isn’t far behind at 47%!

Reactions: tilador
Wow! Questioning our freshman PGs basketball IQ when he is paired with another freshman SG and a SF that shoots 20% from deep? Trying to learn Ol’Roys system is hard enough but throw in that Love didn’t get any help from coaches or alumni last spring or summer due to Covid! Pretty harsh assessment!

Going small ball only works when your small players can shoot! So far, besides Walton who has only taken 27 shots, ours can’t! 3 of our 4 bigs are shooting over 50%(Bacot67%) and Brooks isn’t far behind at 47%!

I usually dismiss things like this but I think it actually has legs.

The freshman in this class, outside of the top 10-12 guys who should be on NBA rosters, are playing pretty poorly for the most part.

Hell, Sharpe just finally broke out last game. Look at the rest of the top 25...Keon/Springer in Tenn, Bryce at KU, Cisse at Memphis, Caleb and Walker here, Roach at Duke are all struggling.

It's one of the reasons I don't want OADs who need to perform right away to be valuable to our program. If anything happens (Covid, injury, etc) then they are basically a wasted scholarship.

If Sallis is as good as Coby was, would you take him?

If Sallis is as good as Coby was, would you take him?

No. Because I think Cole and Caleb were also just as good as Coby was coming in but the pieces fell into place well with Coby. I'm not betting it happens again with Sallis.

Plus, there isn't a recruit in the country I'd want over our current backcourt as Sophs.

As good as Coby statistically and he goes 7th pick but it is a no for you. Okay.

Also, Love and RJ may turn out to be the second coming of Seventh Woods. Love was definitely ranked higher but RJ and him were certainly close.

I don't think there are any guarantees in recruiting to make a general statement that a sophomore will definitely be better than a freshman. Likely yes but not definitive.

(6-4, 1-2). Here's my thoughts/analysis

1) There's not (CURRENTLY) an ACC caliber PG on this roster. Caleb and RJ are trying, but they are nowhere near close. It's gonna take time. I think RJ has the best chance as a PG. Watching games, I wonder about Caleb's Basketball IQ.

3) Defensive fundamentals with this group are not good. Their hedges are bad. Their closeouts are bad. Their help & recover is bad. Guarding the ball is bad. Too many lapses in concentration. Too many missed assignments. There has got to be more buy in from the guys to become a better defensive team.

4) Kerwin needs as many minutes as he can stand. Just his sheer presence on the floor has opened up the paint exponentially more than it has been all year. I'd also like to see Puff be more assertive and aggressive on the offensive end. He's still got that "deer in the headlight look," but once he just starts playing, and stops thinking, he can be a valuable weapon.

5) Garrison has got to break out of his funk. Not sure if it's his number of touches, his benching, or just the fact that he's not playing well, but something is going on.

6) Offensively, I think a small ball lineup could help this team. 4 guards would open up the floor more for drives and post touches. The way the game has evolved, playing 2 bigs is getting harder and harder, ESPECIALLY if you're a poor shooting team. Not saying it can't be done, because Coach Williams has proved that it can, but there's a premium on shooting.

May/Williams/Williams = Great, but Felton, McCants, Scott could really shoot it, as could Jawad and Marvin from that 4 spot

Hanbrough/Thompson/Davis = Amazing, but Ty/Wayne/Danny was one of the best shooting backcourts we've ever had. And just think about some of those times when we went small with Danny at the 4 how lethal we were

Meeks/Hicks/Bradley = Very Good, but Joel and JJ could fill it up, and Nate was a good enough shooter. Theo wasn't a great shooter, but he was a playmaker. We also had a very good different look with that team going small with Theo at the 4 some.

Just my thoughts as we move forward. I still think we can be very good, it's just not going to be as aesthetically pleasing as teams in years past..
Some good and interesting points --- just gonna take issue with a couple:

- as for the PGs, as you might know I'm really tough in my critiques of that position in general, and that certainly applies to these kids. That being said, Caleb is really trying to do it right, and that particular effort is something that I notice in real time. He has to learn to let the game slow down for him and learn "when" and "when not" to do certain things. RJ tries to go fast, but truth be known, he's still lost right now. I will say that the best step-1 that Roy took was breaking them up as a backcourt and letting them each learn the PG position --- that was an absolute necessity at this point.

- also, while I get the enthusiasm, your point #4 directly conflicts with point #3. Kerwin has a lonngg way to go on the defensive end, and those issues probably aren't gonna get significantly better until he has a summer of quickness and footwork drills. We just have to hope guys learn on the job. Personally I'd like to see Roy utilize more stuff (40 has served us well so far) to keep opponents from settling in and exploiting our vulnerabilities in base 22.
-

Reactions: FlaTarHeel
No. Because I think Cole and Caleb were also just as good as Coby was coming in but the pieces fell into place well with Coby. I'm not betting it happens again with Sallis.

Plus, there isn't a recruit in the country I'd want over our current backcourt as Sophs.
Cole maybe but no way in the world is Caleb in the same convo as coby. Jmo. Heck I haven’t even seen him drive and score at the rim. Coby could at least get some or get fouled.

- as for the PGs, as you might know I'm really tough in my critiques of that position in general, and that certainly applies to these kids. That being said, Caleb is really trying to do it right, and that particular effort is something that I notice in real time. He has to learn to let the game slow down for him and learn "when" and "when not" to do certain things. RJ tries to go fast, but truth be known, he's still lost right now.
This^
These naysayers don't have a flippin clue how hard that kid is playing, even when he makes a mistake.

Reactions: gary-7
This^
These naysayers don't have a flippin clue how hard that kid is playing, even when he makes a mistake.
Playing hard is not the issue. There are plenty of guys that play hard. I’m not a naysayer but we won, partly because his minutes were significantly cut.

Yeah I agree too. I just was reading a little about Jaden Bradley saying he was looking for a ball screen offense type of team. That does not bode welll for us, or does it. I am also of the belief that we should be going back to the way we used to recruit pg position by bringing in a 4 year guy every 2-3 years and a really solid combo guy in the between years ala Bobby Frasor, Nate Britt.

The thing that some of us worried about but were afraid to say out loud was that Garrison might have a Luke Maye type of senior year. Not a bad year, per se, but a bit of a backstep.

Most of us expected he'd play fewer minutes. I mean with Armando expected to improve and 2 5-star bigs joining the team, that was pretty much a given. But we were all hoping to see the same or better overall quality. That's been missing.

It's not too late, but so far it doesn't look like Garrison is improving on his previous year.

With all the new guys - some of whom are really struggling - Roy isn't able to focus on Garrison as much as maybe he needs to.

Idk. I really don't like Caleb Love's body language a lot in games. So, not sure I share the trying real hard to do it right analysis.

Also, speaking of Seventh Woods, that transfer has not worked out for him at all. He is basically playing the exact same role for South Carolina as he was for us off the bench. And, his numbers, like Jeremiah Francis', are terrible.

I'm can't put my finger on the exact problem. Cole had individual talent. Caleb does as well. But something isn't clicking. There is always an adjustment period for a freshman, but one usually sees them really starting to improve at this point. Seems like both of these guys are busier trying to impress NBA scouts than doing what is best for UNC. I know Roy hasn't forgotten how to coach, but for some reason they don't seem to be listening. Until that is solved, there are going to be issues.

Reactions: Terror Beard
Some good and interesting points --- just gonna take issue with a couple:

- as for the PGs, as you might know I'm really tough in my critiques of that position in general, and that certainly applies to these kids. That being said, Caleb is really trying to do it right, and that particular effort is something that I notice in real time. He has to learn to let the game slow down for him and learn "when" and "when not" to do certain things. RJ tries to go fast, but truth be known, he's still lost right now. I will say that the best step-1 that Roy took was breaking them up as a backcourt and letting them each learn the PG position --- that was an absolute necessity at this point.

- also, while I get the enthusiasm, your point #4 directly conflicts with point #3. Kerwin has a lonngg way to go on the defensive end, and those issues probably aren't gonna get significantly better until he has a summer of quickness and footwork drills. We just have to hope guys learn on the job. Personally I'd like to see Roy utilize more stuff (40 has served us well so far) to keep opponents from settling in and exploiting our vulnerabilities in base 22.
-

Maybe IQ was the wrong choice of word. Maybe in should be mentality. Playing PG, and especially playing PG at UNC is a different mentality. He's just not there...YET. He can get there, and I think he will. The game is just so fast for both he and RJ right now. Not having the full summer and preseason hurt everyone, but especially the freshmen.

Reactions: gary-7
What I want us to get back to is having that Jr PG that has good experience and then bring in the really talented freshman. That limits being forced to go with freshmen at the point. Freshmen at the point is a particular problem because so many of the better talents have been convinced that they have to become primary scorers, our schemes are set such that our PGs are better when they have the pass first mindset. AAU ball is turning these kids that should be pass first in to score first PGs selling the idea that the NBA wants scorers and that anyone can pass the ball. Out athlete your opponents to the rim (slash to the rim) and score and no need to work on jump shooting. Make the highlite reel pass that gets on ESPNs top plays of the day rather than the simple pass that more often leads to a score and assist.

Love (Cole before him) has found himself caught up in all of that, feels like he has to be the man, the game changer but that doesn't work for Roy (nor should it). He is having to unlearn things that he naturally enjoyed at the lower level of play and then learn to mesh in with this new way of thinking, easier said than done. The kid is playing conflicted right now, a bit confused, unsure and when you are unsure you revert back to what you knew. He is trying to think thru his actions and that split second of thinking is all it takes to blow up things, he has to learn to the point of proper habits are his natural instinct, where he just reacts rather than has to think about it. That is just not easy!

What Love needs is that 1 game where he racks up 5 assists, has no more than 1 TO, gets some points but finally realizes that what he is being taught to do really does work, once he can feel that then you will see his game change for the better and I honestly think he is getting close to that point.

I'm can't put my finger on the exact problem. Cole had individual talent. Caleb does as well. But something isn't clicking. There is always an adjustment period for a freshman, but one usually sees them really starting to improve at this point. Seems like both of these guys are busier trying to impress NBA scouts than doing what is best for UNC. I know Roy hasn't forgotten how to coach, but for some reason they don't seem to be listening. Until that is solved, there are going to be issues.
Well, one major difference is how covid has effected the prep guys usually had thru the summer and in to the fall, all that has changed. We didn't have all the cup cakes you usually start the season with, we had what 1 and then it was directly in to teams that had big time experience and were pretty solid. So freshmen, not just ours, have had to jump straight in to the fire and it is not going well nationally for those programs that are having to integrate a lot of freshmen. And I do think that not being able to play in front of fans is a larger problem than expected, especially for the younger players.

Our Good teams have had an anchor Hans, Meeks, Luke, Sean may, Need that Big Wide Body down Low.

Idk. I really don't like Caleb Love's body language a lot in games. So, not sure I share the trying real hard to do it right analysis.

Also, speaking of Seventh Woods, that transfer has not worked out for him at all. He is basically playing the exact same role for South Carolina as he was for us off the bench. And, his numbers, like Jeremiah Francis', are terrible.
Sad for 7th. Jeremiah still has plenty of time to get there, if he can.

I wonder what kind of analysis goes into choosing a transfer destination. Especially for grad transfers, if you pick a new team where you aren't a great fit, you may have blown your only chance. I'm thinking of Keeling last year. I feel pretty confident that if he were still here this season, he'd be having a fine season. But he blew most of his only season trying to adapt to our system. Or Cam, who looked OK his first year and then blossomed the next. Is he even drafted after only 1 year with us?

Last edited:
Ten games in, Sharpe looks like a lottery pick.

Just for fun, I glanced at NBAdraft.net. They're clueless. Not unusual this early in a season, but they not only don't have Sharpe as a lottery pick, they don't even have him being drafted in 2021. Instead, they show him going in the 2nd round in 2022. Are they nuts?

They also show Caleb going in 2022 - #25 and the 5th PG on the board.

They might be right about Caleb.

Oh, they also show Garrison as the last pick in the 2nd round this year. When I checked a while back, they had him high in the 2nd round. So at least they are awake enough to notice that Garrison isn't helping himself this year, so far.

Reactions: Heelicious
Our Good teams have had an anchor Hans, Meeks, Luke, Sean may, Need that Big Wide Body down Low.
I wouldn't put Luke in that category, good though he was.

Sharpe could be that guy. But he's almost too mobile/energized to hold down the interior that way, if that makes any sense.

I'd love to have Sharpe to build the team around for a few years, but I strongly doubt that will happen. A couple more good games and he could skip the rest of the season and still be a lottery pick, imo.

Reactions: Heelicious

I wonder what kind of analysis goes into choosing a transfer destination. Especially for grad transfers, if you pick a new team where you aren't a great fit, you may have blown your only chance. I'm thinking of Keeling last year. I feel pretty confident that if he were still here this season, he'd be having a fine season. But he blew most of his only season trying to adapt to our system. Or Cam, who looked OK his first year and then blossomed the next. Is he even drafted after only 1 year with us?

Jeremiah is 9/48 from the field on 2/21 from 3...OUCH

Ten games in, Sharpe looks like a lottery pick.

Just for fun, I glanced at NBAdraft.net. They're clueless. Not unusual this early in a season, but they not only don't have Sharpe as a lottery pick, they don't even have him being drafted in 2021. Instead, they show him going in the 2nd round in 2022. Are they nuts?

They also show Caleb going in 2022 - #25 and the 5th PG on the board.

They might be right about Caleb.

Oh, they also show Garrison as the last pick in the 2nd round this year. When I checked a while back, they had him high in the 2nd round. So at least they are awake enough to notice that Garrison isn't helping himself this year, so far.
Sharpe isn’t a lotto pick at this point. He needs to show a lot more to get into the first round this year. If he progresses as we hope he may work himself into the 2022 lottery.

Sharpe isn’t a lotto pick at this point. He needs to show a lot more to get into the first round this year. If he progresses as we hope he may work himself into the 2022 lottery.
He's not as of now, but don't be surprised to see his name creeping up on mocks this season as we go. Just hoping we can keep him for another season.

He's not as of now, but don't be surprised to see his name creeping up on mocks this season as we go. Just hoping we can keep him for another season.

The play late 2nd half against ND, when Sharpe stepped in the passing lane to get the steal then finished on the other end after dribbling it up court, I said immediately afterwards "he's a OAD."

I actually didn't think he was capable of that type of play yet but if he is then he'll wow scouts in workouts. Apparently his practices have been dominant as well and no one was surprised by his breakout.

I'd bet his a lotto pick after this season.

7th would have graduated last year without the transfer wouldn't he have?

I do think we have at least 3 potential lottery picks on this team, just none of them, at least so far should be such for the next draft. Those 3 IMO are Sharpe, Kessler, and Love but so far at least all 3 have proven to me they need to play for at least 2 seasons with us. Bacot is to me a kid that is just on the outside of that but has mid 1st round potential but may be a kid that has to play his senior season with us unless he has another real strong progression this off season as he did from last season to now.

I do want Tar Heel fans to understand 1 thing, I have been hard on Love especially, not because I see him as a miss but because I realize the big time talent this kid has. He is struggling with the transition to this level of play so he is rushing himself, the game is to fast in his head right now, he will get thru that. Example, as much as we rag on him about his shooting ( we do so rightfully because of the shot selection problem he has shown) he hit a big time trey late in that Miami game that was huge for us. He didn't just hit it but it was a great shot, in the flow of the offense, and he looked very solid taking the shot, didn't rush it at all. Even had it not fallen, it was a good shot and his shot selection has got better in my view, he has been missing some good looks, confidence thing, Leaky showed us what a kid that hits a couple can do when their confidence kicks up. Earlier this season there were at least 4 shots from him a game I was screaming bad shot, that is now down to 1 or 2 a game and I can live with that. If he can now just get his passing and TOs under control, his production will spike.

I do think we have at least 3 potential lottery picks on this team, just none of them, at least so far should be such for the next draft. Those 3 IMO are Sharpe, Kessler, and Love but so far at least all 3 have proven to me they need to play for at least 2 seasons with us. Bacot is to me a kid that is just on the outside of that but has mid 1st round potential but may be a kid that has to play his senior season with us unless he has another real strong progression this off season as he did from last season to now.

I do want Tar Heel fans to understand 1 thing, I have been hard on Love especially, not because I see him as a miss but because I realize the big time talent this kid has. He is struggling with the transition to this level of play so he is rushing himself, the game is to fast in his head right now, he will get thru that. Example, as much as we rag on him about his shooting ( we do so rightfully because of the shot selection problem he has shown) he hit a big time trey late in that Miami game that was huge for us. He didn't just hit it but it was a great shot, in the flow of the offense, and he looked very solid taking the shot, didn't rush it at all. Even had it not fallen, it was a good shot and his shot selection has got better in my view, he has been missing some good looks, confidence thing, Leaky showed us what a kid that hits a couple can do when their confidence kicks up. Earlier this season there were at least 4 shots from him a game I was screaming bad shot, that is now down to 1 or 2 a game and I can live with that. If he can now just get his passing and TOs under control, his production will spike.
Agree on Love.... it is easy to rag on players and I fall in that trap, but the kid is a talent.
Also agree on what you say about lottery picks, though I believe if Sharpe keeps his game in the current direction he'll hear a LOT of noise toward the end of this season.

Walton and Leaky officially become our most important players. Walton spreading out the court and Leaky play making is our hope.

I still like Love and RJ, but this team still has a chance to do big things. Love can still create a shot on his own which is why I say he must start. Love actually making a shot is iffy, but he has the ability to get to the bucket. RJ gets hot sometimes so he can be useful.

AP is proving to be a solid guy to come off the bench, and is playing as hard as anyone.

Our frontcourt is balling, Brooks is going to find his way again. He was always a great piece of our team because he is so solid and fundamental just is not Alpha player.

Roy is a smart guy, slowing this team down is his only option. Of course push when you can, but Caleb and RJ are not there yet to push all game, and although I believe next year they could be dynamic together, this year they will need to just play a lighter role, and when they are not playing well or turning it over, just need to sit down, but when they are at least hitting a shot need to stay in.

Reactions: alabamaheel
Walton and Leaky officially become our most important players. Walton spreading out the court and Leaky play making is our hope.

I still like Love and RJ, but this team still has a chance to do big things. Love can still create a shot on his own which is why I say he must start. Love actually making a shot is iffy, but he has the ability to get to the bucket. RJ gets hot sometimes so he can be useful.

AP is proving to be a solid guy to come off the bench, and is playing as hard as anyone.

Our frontcourt is balling, Brooks is going to find his way again. He was always a great piece of our team because he is so solid and fundamental just is not Alpha player.

Roy is a smart guy, slowing this team down is his only option. Of course push when you can, but Caleb and RJ are not there yet to push all game, and although I believe next year they could be dynamic together, this year they will need to just play a lighter role, and when they are not playing well or turning it over, just need to sit down, but when they are at least hitting a shot need to stay in.
I agree and if it means taking some lumps this year because our two freshmen guards are learning, knowing they will likely be back, is ok with me. The thought of our team next year excites me.

Reactions: IDUNK4HEELS
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT