ADVERTISEMENT

18 Turnovers & 9 Steals Almost Cost Us this Game . .

BillyL

Resident Idiot
Gold Member
Aug 17, 2005
Poor passes . . passes that should never been attempted . . traveling with the ball.

Harvard amasses 9 steals on top of those turnovers.

Our guys just don't value ball possession . .

Rant over/

I blame the coach the team does not value the ball, Not the actual turnover but being taught to value the ball.

You're right 100%...

Although I think the game should have been over in the 1st half if Roy didn't fool around with the rotations. I don't have the +/- chart, but I'd imagine Joel James' was around -10'ish.

Originally posted by geo1464:
I blame the coach the team does not value the ball, Not the actual turnover but being taught to value the ball.
That is all he talked about this entire week - you can lead a horse to water...

idoitic turnovers are not on Roy

Not sure I buy it. Either you are not teaching well or you recruited unteachable players--either way, the coach is to blame.

Gina

Y'all gonna give him the blame for the W?
cool.r191677.gif

You know, I ALMOST won the lottery, but 2 numbers were off.

My girlfriend ALMOST died when she nearly ran straight in to the rear end of a tractor trailer yesterday morning. She's sitting here watching the tournament with me.

The silly turnovers (even besides PJs usual unwise passes) aside, the problem with this bunch is much deeper than sloppy ball handling. The biggest is that with the slight exception of Marcus, their isn't a warrior on the team. Nowhere is this the case more than inside. Brice has never followed a shot, and is satisfied to take a 12 footer or jump hook when he could easily take it to the rack. Kennedy tries, but he also is soft as jelly. We all thought just by his build that he was another Sean May. But he can't jump two inches off the ground, and often loses focus. Hicks gives effort, I will give him that, but can't bang with the big boys. Joel James couldn't start at Furman. I have yet to realize why he is even in the rotation. He's always bigger than anyone out there, yet his only competent threat is a fall away jumper.
But some of this play is on Roy. Maybe he has just yelled at them so much this year that they don't hear it anymore. The players aren't tougher, and we all thought that PJ would develop into a solid star. He has gotten worse. But what I don't understand is why Roy feels compelled every game to sub when he builds a lead instead of keeping the guys in that are on a roll and blowing it open. Twice tonight when they got it to 14 he started to sub. The second time after not giving them anything in man for 5 minutes they decide for some reason to go zone. I both cases the momentum is lost and you have a game on their hands. But the bottom line I think is recruiting. As long as it is an up and down transition game, this team is OK. But you can't always have that type of game. Marcus is the only consistent outside shooter on the team. Lateral quickness on the defensive end is awful. But most of all there are no warriors amongst them.

Originally posted by mikeirbyusa:
cool.r191677.gif
Question- has Roy ever done anything in a game of which you disapprove?

Originally posted by UNC71-00:

Originally posted by mikeirbyusa:
cool.r191677.gif
Question- has Roy ever done anything in a game of which you disapprove?
I hate Roy's substitutions decisions almost all the time. Tonight was a prime example. But, I'm not a basketball coach. I have a hunch he knows more about coaching basketball than I do.

I've often wondered if any of the assistants ever say something like " nah roy you don't wanna do that" ... Of course roy knows more than us he's a great coach but his substitutions sometimes are mind boggling

Originally posted by heels05champs:
Ol Roy subbing like its early November. Smh
Must agree, that I don't get why he hasn't tightened up the rotation. During the ACCT, it makes sense if you know you might be playing 3 or 4 days straight, but this is the BIG DANCE. Play your best line-up as much as possible and let 'em rest tomorrow.

Originally posted by LifeboatParty:
Not sure I buy it. Either you are not teaching well or you recruited unteachable players--either way, the coach is to blame.

Gina
Ding, ding, ding. The winner's bell tolls for thee.

What Roy recruits and cocahes for is not ball possession and smart play on offense but running up and down the court the fastest to get off the most shots.

The odds are against being able to find and sign guys who run down the court fast and play smart with the ball and shoot well.

Don't think Marcus is the question mark. James is an absolute rally killer. But we get up double digits and here he comes. Good kid, but he has zero business being even a marginal contributor at a program the status of UNC. A three man rotation in the paint would be better. Except for James fade away on the baseline, there is no redeeming value. And for whatever reason things seem to run smoother with Jackson on the court. I think the frustration most feel is that a group will get a bit of a lead, have some momentum, then here come the substitutions and you lose what has been built instead of blowing the game open.

Let's be honest. JoeL James sucks. He's had his moments where he's ran into a good stretch here or there but largely he is the best player on the other team the minute he steps on the floor for us.

If you need somebody to foul an on the ball screen near mid court, he's your guy.
If you need somebody to let a pass hit his chest and roll out of bounds, he's your guy.

In saying that, it's not all his fault because Roy should have never taken on a project like JoeL when our style of play isn't conducive to development if you don't already have some cornerstone skills. Same thing for Des Hubert. I almost feel bad for these kids because they have little to no chance of success given their circumstances.

I agree with shortening up the rotation during NCAA tourney time. And if we think that our guys are getting too tired which shouldn't be the case why don't we slow down and run have court offense and pump it inside where we have a huge advantage against a small team like Harvard? That makes no sense to me why we try to my name gun and play to Harvards small lineup advantage.

After close call tonight, I don't think you will see much of Joel in the next game.

Berry played well and he "needed" to play Britt....Jackson Simmons? the TV timeouts are like 30 minutes long he went way too deep yesterday. You have to play 5 so there are going to be "dumb" decision makers on floor

Originally posted by Steat:
After close call tonight, I don't think you will see much of Joel in the next game.
He will get his usual alottment of 7-10 mins.

How turnover prone is this team . . . according to the ESPN box score of our game, Desmond Hubert even had one(1) TO last night . . .
laugh.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT