ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Atlanta Braves thread

I know the Braves had interest in Sale, but I'm glad they decided not to go that route. Not to say the Boston deal was bad, not at all. I just don't think the Braves are ready to make such a move yet. I'm really impressed with the Braves front office. They really seem to know what they're doing.
Agreed with the front office being impressive. They were too smart to go for Sale because it cost too much. Coppolella (sp?) has stated in interviews the past couple months that they have moved past "firesale" mode from 2014 and 2015. They had to do that to get to a level where they're comfortable with the pieces they have at the big league level and in the farm system; Coppy says they're now at that point and every deal they do from here on out will be to strengthen the major league roster.

I.E. they're no longer in a position where they'll listen to deals for Swanson (it was reported the White Sox wouldn't consider a deal that didn't include Swanson and the Braves said flat-out "NO" to that) or Freeman or any of the big pieces. Similarly, nor will the Braves leverage a bunch of major league-ready pieces to acquire one or two huge names. They like their young names and they're grooming their team of the future.

It wouldn't have made sense to deal for Sale from the Braves point of view. His trade price was high because of how friendly of a deal he's on through the 2019 season (essentially $13M per year for an ace). It doesn't make sense to pay for that when you won't be competitive for the next 3 years.

Smart move by the Braves to hold off. Build up some pieces, let the Nationals get old over the next few years - and try to be a contender after that.

It wouldn't have made sense to deal for Sale from the Braves point of view. His trade price was high because of how friendly of a deal he's on through the 2019 season (essentially $13M per year for an ace). It doesn't make sense to pay for that when you won't be competitive for the next 3 years.

Smart move by the Braves to hold off. Build up some pieces, let the Nationals get old over the next few years - and try to be a contender after that.
JMHO, but we are better off than "three years away." I believe we are a playoff team in 2018.

Reactions: coolwaterunc
Well actually ya, the NHL regular season doesn't matter a ton either, I should have said they're the one league that can have some surprise teams make the semifinals (conference finals). The other leagues are more predictable.

What'd they do? I didn't hear about that deal
Gave up three of their top pitching prospects, including the top overall pitching prospect in baseball, for Adam Eaton. He's a good solid player who's under control for five years, but he's not dominant or anything. Stupid desperate move, IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT