ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Atlanta Braves thread

Dangit, I've had like no time this week to poast. I'll craft a response to this and edit this post in a couple hours. A sneak preview:

- I have come around on Ender, he needs to stay (would love if he could add a few homers on to his bat though).
- the Kemp deal was a game-changer for this rebuild
- I no longer want to deal Freddie but he HAS to maintain this year's numbers to justify the big money he's about to receive from us.
- starting pitching still terrifies me. It's Teheran, a Folty who is made of glass, and then a bunch of inconsistent head cases.
- replace Garcia with Rio Ruiz and platoon with a free agent signing (Prado?) to see if Ruiz can hack it.
- Swanson is a baller and with those locks, he kinda looks like Vince from Entourage except paler haha.
- Just make Snitker the manager. In other sports, I'm vehemently against hiring the interim guy after they finish strong, but in baseball, the manager's in-game decisions affect the team's winning/losing wayyyy less than in football or basketball. Baseball managers affect their team on a more macro level in terms of controlling the clubhouse, massaging guy's egos, stuff like that. Snitker has been a lifelong servant of this organization. Please do not hire Bud friggin Black instead. If you can get Derosa or Ross, fine.

- replace Garcia with Rio Ruiz and platoon with a free agent signing (Prado?) to see if Ruiz can hack it.
I'm not sold on Ruiz yet. I think Adonis has earned the opportunity to open the year as our starting 3B next season. Start Ruiz in AAA next year and see if he can build off his rebound season in the minors. He was terrible last year, so I want to see if he can stay consistent in the minors before he gets a legitimate shot in Atlanta.

Prado is off the table. He signed a mult-year extension with the Marlins earlier this week.

Last edited:
I'm not sold on Ruiz yet. I think Adonis has earned the opportunity to open the year as our starting 3B next season. Start Ruiz in AAA next year and see if he can build off his rebound season in the minors. He was terrible last year, so I want to see if he can stay consistent in the minors before he gets a legitimate shot in Atlanta.

Prado is off the table. He signed a mult-year extension with the Marlins earlier this week.
Didn't see that. He probably feels it's his duty now to stick in Miami and help that organization get through this Fernandez tragedy. Damn I respect the hell out of Prado.

I don't really think Ruiz can hack it either, but Adonis isn't the long-term option. I'd be fine platooning Ruiz and Adonis, starting in May or June but let Adonis be the everyday starter until then.

Reactions: coolwaterunc
Julio Teheran is an ace. No question about it. I am 100% confident in him being our #1 starter going into next year, assuming some reinforcements come over to shore up the rest of the rotation.

Julio Teheran is an ace. No question about it. I am 100% confident in him being our #1 starter going into next year, assuming some reinforcements come over to shore up the rest of the rotation.
In an ideal situation, he's still a #2. But he's young and has time to grow and progress into ace caliber.

Amazing finish by the Braves though. I don't know what's more incredible....that they were able to go on a hot streak and surpass last year's win total, or that it took an incredibly anomalous hot September for us to simply match last season's win total.

Either way, I'm pretty comfortable with all of the following heading into next season. Here's my suggested lineup:

1 Inciarte CF yes, I've come around on Inciarte. If he could add 5 or 6 HRs to his bat, I'd like him even more. His defense is enough though to warrant him a start since Kemp can add the OF homer numbers.
2 Swanson SS
3 Freeman 1B
4 Kemp LF
5 Markakis RF --> I think we should keep Markakis. He's a solid RBI producer and contact hitter. He either drives runs in or he gets on base and sets the table for the latter part of the lineup. He is a defensive liability in terms of his arm, but his positional defense is still sound.
6 Garcia 3B Platoon him and Ruiz or platoon him and a free agent pickup while Ruiz spends another year in the minors.
7 Flowers C ??? I have no clue what to do at catcher. Major question mark across the entire organization. Free agent pickup?
8 Second Base -- Peterson until Albies is healthy?
9 Pitcher

I am not confident at all in our rotation aside from Teheran. Yes, Blair did well yesterday, but that was an exception from his typical performance. Folty we still disagree on cool, and another issue that needs to be discussed with him now is his health. Staying healthy is a skill in sports, especially for pitchers, and he has shown a propensity to get injured a lot. Everyone else on the rotation.....yikes. Wisler?

I'll admit I shed a tear when Johnson struck out Upton for the final out at Turner Field. Some of the best moments of my childhood took place in that building, and it hit me that was the last I'm ever going to see if that place.

I'll admit I shed a tear when Johnson struck out Upton for the final out at Turner Field. Some of the best moments of my childhood took place in that building, and it hit me that was the last I'm ever going to see if that place.
I didn't even watch today. I'll admit I'm done with Turner Field, even though you and I have the same time frame of reference with Turner Field. SunTrust Park is going to be sooooo much better, but I can understand how I may feel differently about that as an Atlantan than you do as someone whose Turner Field trips were fewer and more precious.

The post-game is still on??? LOL. I'm watching the Bucs get smoked (why do I pull for so many shitty teams?)
Yeah, it's on until 7:30.

I agree on SunTrust Park. I'm pumped as hell about it. I'm not really sad that the Braves are leaving Turner Field since it's located in a sesspool. Since you're in Atlanta, I can see why it doesn't really hold much value to you, but growing up, it was always the highlight of my summer during our annual trip down there to see the Braves. It just reminds me of my parents more than anything, and I'll miss it. Definitely excited for SunTrust Park though, without a doubt.

Yeah, it's on until 7:30.

I agree on SunTrust Park. I'm pumped as hell about it. I'm not really sad that the Braves are leaving Turner Field since it's located in a sesspool. Since you're in Atlanta, I can see why it doesn't really hold much value to you, but growing up, it was always the highlight of my summer during our annual trip down there to see the Braves. It just reminds me of my parents more than anything, and I'll miss it. Definitely excited for SunTrust Park though, without a doubt.
I totally get what you're saying. I romanticized Chapel Hill and the state of North Carolina, really, for the same reasons growing up.

So I've been watching now for 5 minutes. All of this fanfare seems extremely unnecessary. I mean it ain't like the team is moving cities, just moving stadiums. The stadium didn't even exist for even 20 seasons.....like get a grip lol. Our WS came at Fulton Co. Stadium.

So I've been watching now for 5 minutes. All of this fanfare seems extremely unnecessary. I mean it ain't like the team is moving cities, just moving stadiums. The stadium didn't even exist for even 20 seasons.....like get a grip lol. Our WS came at Fulton Co. Stadium.
Lol yeah, I know, but I guess when you're just coming off a last place season, you gotta have some excitement to close out the season.

Please do not hire Bud friggin Black instead.
Yeah I don't get the Braves love affair with Bud Black. Sounds like it's a race between him and Snitker now. What has he done to justify all of this consideration anyway? I mean, I'm glad we're taking the time to consider all options. That was one of the biggest issues I had with hiring Fredi Gonzalez after Bobby's retirement. It seemed as if Fredi already had the job the instant the Marlins fired him, so I'm glad to see we're at least bringing others in. Still, stop the Bud Black nonsense and just give it to Snitker. The man deserves it.

I have tickets to tomorrow's ALDS Game 4 at Fenway. If you've been following along - you know that the Indians currently have the Red Sox on the ropes up 2-0 and could make that Game 4 not happen with a win tonight. I'd really like to see Big Papi play in person one more time before he retires. I really hope I'm not left in the proverbial on deck circle with this one.

Feel free to root for the Sox on my behalf at least in tonight's game... or to laugh in my face if they get bounced tonight - either or.

Reactions: ohio tarheels
I have tickets to tomorrow's ALDS Game 4 at Fenway. If you've been following along - you know that the Indians currently have the Red Sox on the ropes up 2-0 and could make that Game 4 not happen with a win tonight. I'd really like to see Big Papi play in person one more time before he retires. I really hope I'm not left in the proverbial on deck circle with this one.

Feel free to root for the Sox on my behalf at least in tonight's game... or to laugh in my face if they get bounced tonight - either or.
Man. I feel for you. The Sox just seemed to pack it up after the TB sweep and went into NY and the bats just went stone cold. Looking back The Sox should have signed Cueto instead of Price. Price just didn't get it done.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
Man. I feel for you. The Sox just seemed to pack it up after the TB sweep and went into NY and the bats just went stone cold. Looking back The Sox should have signed Cueto instead of Price. Price just didn't get it done.

I want Farrell and Price gone. Unfortunately due to the massive and terrible contract, Price is stuck here unless we find some team as dumb as the Dodgers to take our expensive problems off our hands again.

Farrell on the other hand isn't an expensive problem, and should be hitting up the unemployment line today (or the morgue).

Reactions: HeelFan58
I want Farrell and Price gone. Unfortunately due to the massive and terrible contract, Price is stuck here unless we find some team as dumb as the Dodgers to take our expensive problems off our hands again.

Farrell on the other hand isn't an expensive problem, and should be hitting up the unemployment line today (or the morgue).
We'll take Price if y'all eat most of the money ;)

Also, congrats Snit....and Ron Washington as our 3rd base coach. #CocaineFueledWindmillMotion

As an Indians fan I apologize but I don't think I could take another 7,8 and 9th innings again today

washington should've gotten the job, imo...i don't care if he does lines in the dugout, the guy can handle young players and they love to play for him.

so let's all grab the yeyo and enjoy the blurred ride.

washington should've gotten the job, imo...i don't care if he does lines in the dugout, the guy can handle young players and they love to play for him.

so let's all grab the yeyo and enjoy the blurred ride.
We got Washington to come over to be on the staff as the 3rd base coach, so at least he's there. I don't mind Snitker keeping the job. The players are motivated to play for him, and it clearly showed. He deserved it, IMO.

That's what the Sox always do - overpay for aging talent.

Like clockwork. They were supposedly turning that around. The reason why they dealt Jon Lester, and then didn't re-sign him in the offseason when he wanted to come back was because they were making a point of not giving huge contracts to players (especially pitchers) 30 or older.

Then the following year they go out and throw $217 Million at 30 year old David Price. Unbelievable.

Like clockwork. They were supposedly turning that around. The reason why they dealt Jon Lester, and then didn't re-sign him in the offseason when he wanted to come back was because they were making a point of not giving huge contracts to players (especially pitchers) 30 or older.

Then the following year they go out and throw $217 Million at 30 year old David Price. Unbelievable.
Still can't believe y'all didn't put an acceptable trade package together for Julio Teheran. Dude is 25 and dirt cheap.

Still can't believe y'all didn't put an acceptable trade package together for Julio Teheran. Dude is 25 and dirt cheap.

I assume Anderson Espinosa straight up would have gotten it done. But instead we shipped him out to San Diego for Drew Pomeranz. And what's worse, we had the chance to rescind the deal a month later when it came out that SD had withheld medical info in the trade. Yet we kept the deal. Sigh.

Anything with Betts, Bogaerts, Bradley, Benintendi, or Moncada would have been an over payment for Teheran though.

As an Indians fan I apologize but I don't think I could take another 7,8 and 9th innings again today
Please let the Indians take out the Blow Jays. Giants already out and if Jays get eliminated I will actually enjoy the WS. Cubs-Indians would be great.

Please let the Indians take out the Blow Jays. Giants already out and if Jays get eliminated I will actually enjoy the WS. Cubs-Indians would be great.

Eh, maybe. I would kind of enjoy a Nationals-Blue Jays WS though. Fun to rag on the Cubs for their WS drought. And while the Indians are a more likeable team than the Jays, if Cleveland were to win the World Series less than a year after winning the NBA championship they might start to think they're something better than the second shittiest city in the US (tip of the cap to Detroit).

Eh, maybe. I would kind of enjoy a Nationals-Blue Jays WS though. Fun to rag on the Cubs for their WS drought. And while the Indians are a more likeable team than the Jays, if Cleveland were to win the World Series less than a year after winning the NBA championship they might start to think they're something better than the second shittiest city in the US (tip of the cap to Detroit).
Cubs and Braves really the only NL teams I like , goes back to the super stations WTBS and WGN televising their games when we first got cable in the mid 70's..

Blockbuster trade in the MLB today.

Chris Sale going to Boston in exchange for Yoan Moncada and Michael Kopech. Giving the Red Sox a top 3 rotation of Sale-Price-Porcello. When the reigning AL Cy Young winner is #3 in the rotation that should be a good thing.

Chris Sale going to Boston in exchange for Yoan Moncada and Michael Kopech. Giving the Red Sox a top 3 rotation of Sale-Price-Porcello. When the reigning AL Cy Young winner is #3 in the rotation that should be a good thing.
The red leggings gave up a lot to get him though. Not sure I would have made that trade.

The red leggings gave up a lot to get him though. Not sure I would have made that trade.

Ya, Moncada is going to be a stud. But with Bogaerts already playing SS - they were trying to find new positions for him and it wasnt really turning out great. Kopech can throw heat - but he's a nut (broke his throwing hand punching a roommate in the face) so he's boom or bust.

It's clear Dombrowski is looking at this as a "win now - I'll be gone by the time these prospects are major contributors" which I'm fine with. They have the money to go buy themselves back into it later anyways. They also made a trade to bolster the bullpen. Looks like they're realizing that a great offense is nice, but that the two teams in the WS this year had great pitching.

Regardless, the MLB season should be cut in half, it's just too damn long. I'll passively follow them until they hit the playoffs then I can watch for real. NBA is the same way, no need to watch the regular season, just tune in for the finals since you know who will be there anyways (warriors/cavs). Even the NFL is getting that way - you pretty much know who the final 4 teams in the NFL will be this year (Raiders/Patriots and Seahawks/Cowboys). The NHL is the only league that has a regular season that matters at this point.

I wanted the Braves to acquire Moncada or Benintendi so badly last season. Definitely a solid rotation for Boston, but based on the way y'alls trades have worked out lately, Sale will probably blow out his elbow in April or forget how to pitch by June :/

I wanted the Braves to acquire Moncada or Benintendi so badly last season. Definitely a solid rotation for Boston, but based on the way y'alls trades have worked out lately, Sale will probably blow out his elbow in April or forget how to pitch by June :/

I'd be fine trotting him out there 10 times during the regular season. Just make sure he's healthy to start game 1 in the playoffs....

I know the Braves had interest in Sale, but I'm glad they decided not to go that route. Not to say the Boston deal was bad, not at all. I just don't think the Braves are ready to make such a move yet. I'm really impressed with the Braves front office. They really seem to know what they're doing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT