ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Atlanta Braves thread

Okay, so Folty started out good last night but got blown up in the 5th or 6th inning or whatever it was, and Wisler is out there losing the game for us in the 1st inning. I was mildly concerned about Wisler earlier, but now I'm very concerned. This dude just flat out sucks right now. Blair is a headcase, go ahead and throw Banuelos out because he's done, Newcomb isn't really blowing anyone away in AA, and everyone else on this current tier of pitching prospects is nothing more than roster fillers...I'm very concerned. Really, the only one in this group of guys that I have any faith in right now is Folty, and we've discussed enough on here the issues/concerns we have about him. Are we going to have to wait for guys like Fried, Allard, Toussaint, and the guys we just drafted before we really see a good solid pitcher come up? I'm worried.

Okay so our starting pitcher situation is now a full-blown crisis. We have Teheran and that's it. Wisler has completely regressed (got lit up early in AAA last night), Folty still is a friggin headcase when anything goes wrong, and Blair is a headcase. We have nothing.

Beyond that, I LOVED the Kemp deal. Loved it. Why? Because we got 100% of the hook for Olivera. That's amazing to me that Coppy pulled that off. Yes, he was merely fixing his own mistake, but still it's amazing that he convinced the Padres to do that. Kemp could legitimately hit 30 HRs for us next season if he's still a Brave next year.

Agree with all of that. Now Teheran is on the DL.

I think the Kemp deal is genius. I can't believe we actually got rid of Olivera, and I was shocked when I heard it was a straight swap of the two. Yes, we end up paying a little more every year, but to turn Olivera into a proven run producer is outstanding.

The FO keeps saying now we're gonna get offense, and yeah we need that, but I really hope they still go after major league ready pitching. We need at least one more guy to pair with Teheran to take some of the pressure off of him and Wisler, Folty and Blair as they continue to try to right the ship and get better.

Agree with all of that. Now Teheran is on the DL.

I think the Kemp deal is genius. I can't believe we actually got rid of Olivera, and I was shocked when I heard it was a straight swap of the two. Yes, we end up paying a little more every year, but to turn Olivera into a proven run producer is outstanding.

The FO keeps saying now we're gonna get offense, and yeah we need that, but I really hope they still go after major league ready pitching. We need at least one more guy to pair with Teheran to take some of the pressure off of him and Wisler, Folty and Blair as they continue to try to right the ship and get better.
I don't think they wanted to go after Major League pitching, but they're going to have to because Wisler, Folty, and Blair are all looking varying shades of "iffy" right now, to put it kindly.

Cool, let me bring up the Inciarte thing again. I keep hearing this talk on the forums and the radio about next year and beyond, and lots of folks are assuming Inciarte will start for us in CF, with Kemp in LF, and a yet-to-be-determined Markakis replacement in right. My question is why are people so sold on Inciarte vs. Mallex Smith? What the heck does Inciarte offer that Smith doesn't offer? Plus, Smith has the potential to improve whereas EI is already a known commodity, a "he is what he is." Inciarte is a marginal hitter who doesn't hit for power or tons of XBH and is a good defender. Mallex Smith is all of that right now, with even better speed, and potential to improve into more. I don't know why we'd keep Inciarte. I really don't.

Also, cool, I encourage you to go to www.680thefan.com and click on their "listen live" button at 5:30 on every day the Braves have a game. That's the flagship station of the Braves. The current show that's on at that time (Chuck and Chernoff) leads into the official Braves pre-game at 5:55 and they talk some really good baseball and Braves stuff in those 25 minutes, and then obviously the pre-game show is all Braves, but it's more the nitty gritty about that day's game, though they do talk some macro / big picture stuff.

Personally, I think the the opening day 2017 outfield will be Mallex in left, Inciarte in center and Kemp in right with Markakis traded for who-knows-what. With Kemp in the picture now, I'd like to see both Markakis and Inciarte traded, honestly, and they might do that, I don't know. This is going to be the most unpredictable offseason I've ever seen, so I'm clueless.

Also, cool, I encourage you to go to www.680thefan.com and click on their "listen live" button at 5:30 on every day the Braves have a game. That's the flagship station of the Braves. The current show that's on at that time (Chuck and Chernoff) leads into the official Braves pre-game at 5:55 and they talk some really good baseball and Braves stuff in those 25 minutes, and then obviously the pre-game show is all Braves, but it's more the nitty gritty about that day's game, though they do talk some macro / big picture stuff.
I'll do that today on the way home from work, if I remember.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
I'll do that today on the way home from work, if I remember.
If you listen to sports radio in Charlotte, I think you'll be surprised at the difference between Atlanta sports radio and Charlotte. Those two guys, Chuck (Oliver) and (Matt) Chernoff are actually FROM Atlanta (I bet most Charlotte sports radio guys aren't) and actually know what the heck they're talking about.

They talk a lot of Braves, so they'll probably be talking about them before 5:30.

Personally, I think the the opening day 2017 outfield will be Mallex in left, Inciarte in center and Kemp in right with Markakis traded for who-knows-what. With Kemp in the picture now, I'd like to see both Markakis and Inciarte traded, honestly, and they might do that, I don't know. This is going to be the most unpredictable offseason I've ever seen, so I'm clueless.
Interesting prediction. I just think they'll keep Kemp in LF because his defense has really deteriorated the past few years for whatever reason. Kemp stated in that letter in the Player's Tribune that he sorta let his career get off the rails the past few years and is raring to go in Atlanta and start playing again for the love of the game, so we'll see if his overall game picks up, besides power hitting.

But yeah, Inciarte needs to go unless he can accept a role as utility player. He's standing directly in the way of Mallex as they're basically the same player. The only way I see them keeping Ender, is if they trade Mallex because they think that Acuna is our CF of the future and just want to plug in guys until ~2019 when Acuna would make it to the bigs. That would be an extremely risky (and dumb) move IMO

Woops, forgot to mention Jenkins as a positive for our starting rotation. I see him as a potential #3 guy, but I won't hold my breath that he'll pan out either.

Woops, forgot to mention Jenkins as a positive for our starting rotation. I see him as a potential #3 guy, but I won't hold my breath that he'll pan out either.
I like Jenkins, but I don't think he's a #3. I think he's a potential 4 at best, preferably a 5. I don't think it really matters, honestly, because I have a feeling his future isn't with the Braves.

I like Jenkins, but I don't think he's a #3. I think he's a potential 4 at best, preferably a 5. I don't think it really matters, honestly, because I have a feeling his future isn't with the Braves.
You're probably right. 3 was ambitious. Truthfully, I was thinking 4. Teams don't really have permanent #5's anymore. They look for four good ones, and then they fill that fifth spot with a cheap plug-in or whatever.

Reactions: coolwaterunc
Jim BowdenESPN Senior Writer
The Miami Marlins have acquired LHP Hunter Cervenka from the Atlanta Braves in exchange for minor league shortstop Anfernee Seymour and LHP Michael Mader as confirmed by sources from both teams. Both are legitimate prospects. Seymour has stolen 76 bases over his first 193 professional games. Marlins making strong effort to get to post-season but paying a price from farm system to do it.

http://www.espn.com/blog/mlb/rumors...-mauricio-cabrera-be-the-braves-future-closer

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
Have watched less than 2 innings this year. Zero interest
I watch because I've always watched. It's something to put on at night if I'm not doing anything, or to listen to on the radio in the car if I'm out driving somewhere.

I have watched more than I thought I would this season though. I've probably watched at least 5 innings of probably 65% of their games. I enjoy watching the rebuild -- yes, a lot of guys on the team right now won't be here as part of the future, but I do like seeing the maturation and development of the guys who will be here for the future (Mallex Smith before he got hurt, Inciarte possibly, Folty, Wisler, Teheran, Jenkins, guys like that. And Swanson and Albies whenever the F they come up)

^ Same. I thought I wouldn't watch nearly as much if not at all, but I guess I've been programmed to watch the Braves or something, so I just do it.

So I hear Tim Tebow is looking to play baseball now. Put him on the mound. Hell, he should be able to compete with Fausto Carmona, right?

I don't know if Tyrell Jenkins is good or really lucky, but he walks the field and gets away with it every time.
He gets a lot of ground balls when he needs to, which kinda makes me lean towards he's more good than lucky....but who knows? Lol. I'd like to see him go against some better teams some more before I start formulating an opinion.

It's cool that we've won 10 of our last 14, but it's sorta meaningless at the same time because lots of the people who are doing well and responsible for this streak, won't be here next year / for the future. Look at who's doing really well......Aybar (100% gone), Markakis (90% gone), Inciarte (35% gone?), Jace Peterson (gone, unless he's molded into a utility guy), Recker (gone?), Adonis (platoon at third next year or gone?) etc. Yeah, we're winning, but who in the starting lineup will be here for the future? Freeman and who else? Inciarte maybe. Kemp maybe. Beyond that......no one. This is why I scratch my head as to why Swanson and Albies haven't been brought up. You're winning games but it means literally nothing, beyond the fact that you're getting young pitchers games to develop. Besides pitchers, NO ONE who needs developing is getting developed in these games. No one.

Just figured I'd give my monthly Red Sox input to this thread.

Andrew Benintendi got called up to the big league squad after having been in Single A to start the year, and Double A for about two months - and hes been on fire. He got jobbed out of his first major league HR last night due to some bogus ground rules at Fenway (hit it off the monster over the CF wall and back onto the field which is somehow a live ball?).

I'm pretty glad we didn't dump him in a trade for a starter at the deadline. I think I may have said something along the lines of I'd be fine with a straight up trade of him for Teheran... but now I'm pretty glad I don't call the shots for the Sox. The outfield will be set for years with Benintendi - Bradley Jr. - Betts. And to think Moncada is supposed to be better than him...

All will be for naught though when the Sox fail to make the playoffs because the guy we pay $31 mil/year for the next 7 years (Price) can't get his head out of his ass for any of his starts.

Andrew Benintendi got called up to the big league squad after having been in Single A to start the year, and Double A for about two months - and hes been on fire. He got jobbed out of his first major league HR last night due to some bogus ground rules at Fenway (hit it off the monster over the CF wall and back onto the field which is somehow a live ball?).

I'm pretty glad we didn't dump him in a trade for a starter at the deadline. I think I may have said something along the lines of I'd be fine with a straight up trade of him for Teheran... but now I'm pretty glad I don't call the shots for the Sox. The outfield will be set for years with Benintendi - Bradley Jr. - Betts. And to think Moncada is supposed to be better than him...

All will be for naught though when the Sox fail to make the playoffs because the guy we pay $31 mil/year for the next 7 years (Price) can't get his head out of his ass for any of his starts.
1). There's a reason he was such a coveted prospect by other teams.....he's gonna be a beast.

2). The fact that he's come up to the bigs on fire is all the more reason I'm irritated we haven't called up Swanson and Albies yet.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
They may not be bringing up Swanson and Albies yet simply because they don't want to "start the clock" yet during a meaningless season. Plus, looking at Swanson's AA numbers, they don't really scream "call this guy up." I'm going BS on both of those though. The dude has the intangibles and so does Albies. Bring them up and let them get accustomed to the big leagues. If they struggle, they struggle. They'll figure it out.

I think you gotta throw Dustin Peterson into this mix as well, even though there isn't anye here to put him right now. He's been tearing it up down there.

Hell when Price does pitch well he doesn't get any support or Farrell leaves him in too long.

Speaking of hijacking, completely random, but Carlos Gomez was DFA'd by the Astros. Wasn't he that arrogant SOB who used to play for the Brewers and acted like he just conquered the world every time he did something good? The dude Brian McCann stopped in his tracks during a home run trot and looked like he wanted to murder him on the spot? If so, couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Hope his career rots.

Speaking of hijacking, completely random, but Carlos Gomez was DFA'd by the Astros. Wasn't he that arrogant SOB who used to play for the Brewers and acted like he just conquered the world every time he did something good? The dude Brian McCann stopped in his tracks during a home run trot and looked like he wanted to murder him on the spot? If so, couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Hope his career rots.

Yup, thats the guy. The MLB is really filtering out the dbags in the past week or so. Gomez. Puig got DFA'd recently. A-Rod got cut... er, I mean "retired". Texiera announced his retirement.

Fielder wasn't as big of a dbag as the above, but he's done now.

Season is almost over so we can afford to bump this thread one more time. Few notes:

I'm officially on the "keep Inciarte" bandwagon.

Swanson is for real.

Folty will be good. He's done enough this year to convince me.

Blair is still a trainwreck.

I wish Wisler would be good all year rather than just during periods he gets called back up after being sent down.

Now that the season is just a few days away from being over, I just wanted to put a few final thoughts on some things we've been talking about/debating throughout the year. @TarHeelNation11, I would love to hear yours too, if you have any. I know football has finally pushed the Braves out of the way, but you gotta have something, right? lol

I'll start with Freddie Freeman. We've mentioned earlier that he's not capable of being the centerpiece of an offense, but I'll admit he's made an excellent case of proving us wrong with his performance this year. Hitting over .300, 33 homers and almost 100 RBIs. You can't ask for anything more. Has he turned the corner? This is the most consistently dominant we've ever seen him, and he's showing what he can do when he has someone competent hitting behind him, which leads me to the next thing I'm gonna address.

The Matt Kemp deal was huge, and he's completely changed the face of the offense. All the critics are down on Matt Kemp, but he's hitting .270 with, again, over 30 homers and 100 RBIs. What the hell is wrong with that? He's only 31, and if he loses weight and gets in better shape like he says he's going to, then we may have the dynamic Matt Kemp from a few years ago. He loves playing in Atlanta, and it shows. He's clearly motivated again, and I can't wait to see what he does next year. Health is always a concern with him, but I'm just glad we finally have a cleanup guy.

Adonis Garcia...I still don't know who he is. I've been flip-flopping on him all year long, and I still haven't made up my mind. He's probably only doing well now that he's hitting in front of Freeman and Kemp and seeing more fastballs as a result, but if it were up to me, I'd keep him there and save money at 3B. Not to mention Inciarte is on base virtually every single time he's batting. I mean, I think he's good enough to where we don't have to spend money on a guy like Justin Turner, who's pretty ordinary. With Prado re-signing with Miami, stick with Adonis.

Now to Ender Inciarte. We need to keep this dude. I love him. I don't even care if keeping him means we trade Mallex Smith. He's as exciting of a player as it gets, and I don't think you trade a guy like him. I don't care what happens with the rest of the outfield, just make sure he's on the 2017 roster. I don't know what's going to happen with the outfield, as this FO as proved that they are unpredictable and relentless, so I'm not going to even speculate what they're going to do. I just hope Inciarte remains in the plains somehow.

With the pitching, the only young pitcher (meaning not Teheran) who made any progress whatsover is Folty, and that's very disappointing. That forces us, IMO, to keep Teheran, as he's still the only sure thing we have. I'm happy with the progress Folty has made this year, and if he can keep his head on straight and stay healthy, he can be special. His nagging injuries are a concern though. He may end up being one of those guys who's on the DL at some point every year.

I'm very disappointed in Wisler and Blair, and that goes without saying. Wisler got off to a strong start, and he hasn't been the same since. We need him to perform, and he just hasn't gotten it done. I like him, I really do, but next year is a make-or-break year for him in this organization, IMO.

Swanson...dude is the real deal. Can't wait to see him play from day 1 next year.

Finally, the manager situation. I'll admit that I don't really care about this one either way. One part of me thinks we should go in a fresh direction and bring in someone else from outside the organization, but another part of me says just keep Snit. The players love playing for him and respect the hell out of him, and at the end of the day, that's what you want in a manager, so why the hell not, I guess.

That's pretty much all I got, I think. I probably forgot a few things, but that's good enough. I'm not speculating any offseason moves because, like I said, the FO is so unpredictable that it's pretty much a waste of my time. I trust Coppy and Hart to do the right things. Gonna be interesting, to say the least.

Last edited:
^^ cool, I have been meaning to come back to this thread. I will hit on this tonight when I get home. I have a lot of thoughts and I'll admit I've been wrong on a few things and players.

Reactions: coolwaterunc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT