ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Season Discussion Thread

TarHeelNation11

Hall of Famer
Mar 9, 2007
Lowell, NC
Traffic is very, very light on this board. I'd love to see this board get more lively before the season starts. In that vein, I've decided to create this thread as an "anything goes" type of thread. Any topic about the upcoming football season you want to discuss, let's do it here. Concerned about Trubisky hitting the ground running? Excited to see Logan's season now that Marquise is gone (leaving more carries for Logan)? Think Hood can get to 1500 yards? Still having PTSD from the Baylor game? How many wins do you think we'll notch against a much, much harder schedule?

Anything is fair game.

I think our record is going to depend largely on that first game. If we can beat GA, then I think we have a good shot at going 11-1 with the one loss at FSU. If we lose the GA game in a blow out or last second lost it could hurt the teams mentality the rest of the year. If we lose the GA game I'm going to say 9-3, with a loss to FSU, Miami and GA.

I think our record is going to depend largely on that first game. If we can beat GA, then I think we have a good shot at going 11-1 with the one loss at FSU. If we lose the GA game in a blow out or last second lost it could hurt the teams mentality the rest of the year. If we lose the GA game I'm going to say 9-3, with a loss to FSU, Miami and GA.
I really, really, really agree with this and have been saying this frequently to people I talk to. As much as they claim to be mentally strong, I think this team's psyche is still a bit fragile when it comes to its performance in big games. While we recovered from the SCar loss, I know it really affected the team. This group of guys wants to elevate UNC to elite level in the worst way. To do that, they have to beat "blue blood" programs on the rare opportunities we face them -- and this team knows that. If they were to lose to the Dawgs, I think it could really affect the team, especially given the schedule this year. We don't have A&T to regain our confidence on after UGA, like we did after SCar. We have to go right back on the road and play at another Power 5 team in Illinois. I'm fearful things could snowball.

I agree. It's hugely important for the program and season, imo. And am concerned this will be the first game back from injury for Andre Smith and Drennon, and we need both to do well.

But I think we win this.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I agree fellas. I think the Georgia game sets the tone for our season. If we can beat them in what is basically a home game for them, it could be huge for our confidence going forward, and I mean huge!

I think a competitive loss to Georgia is very recoverable. They are an elite team with elite skill players.

Reactions: UNC '92
I'm not too worried about our offense even with Trubisky now under center full time, defense still is the big question mark to how our season goes.... With that being said I will say 8-3 regular season record and bowl prediction would all depend on opponent

I'm not too worried about our offense even with Trubisky now under center full time, defense still is the big question mark to how our season goes.... With that being said I will say 8-3 regular season record and bowl prediction would all depend on opponent
8-3....is one of our regular season games going to get cancelled?? :p

This game will have no impact on the Season but it has everything to do with where this Program is at this time...Can We take that next step and beat a Top SEC school like UGA...

Does The Giant Awake...Make no mistake it was ready in 2010 and then all the BS went down...If UNC has a full roster for that game we roll LSU...The Time is now...GO HEELS

Trubisky will be more than fine. He should have started last year and the end of his RS freshman season, when MW looked like absolute crap.

Beating a 'name brand' SEC team is paramount. It must be accomplished for UNC football to be taken seriously across the nation. And the reality is that even if we win by 2 scores, many sports commentators will make excuses for UGA: new HC and freshman QB.

We need the D to remain healthy and play smarter and tougher, more consistently, than it did last year. If we get that and Hood remains healthy, then we should have a team that is better than last year's.

I think that we will go 9-3 in the regular season and finally win a bowl to finish out 10-3.

IMO, we have question marks all across the board. Mitch has a ton of talent and potential, but I feel that most people are putting unrealistic expectations on him for this year. If he can put up similar numbers to what Quise did for us last year, I will be elated. Also, our DL has SO much to prove this year. We have to show that we can stop the run and get a pass rush. At this point, no one has proven to be the leader of that DL. I am hoping that Naz will develop into that player for us this year. And then we have LB. If anyone says that they know how our LBs will perform, they are crazy. Once again, we have talent, but do we have guys who can consistently make plays. Finally, I am interested to see how our DBs perform with a more complicated system in place for tihs year. Remember, last year we stayed really basic because it was Chizik's first year. This somewhat hurt us at the DL and LB spots, but we didn't have many blown coverages and our guys were comfortable in the simplicity of the system. This year will be different and we can expect to see some blown coverages early in the year as our guys get used to the advanced assignments.

Reactions: UNC '92
Miami fan here

UGA is no ELITE team and is a team yall can beat.

How do you think your team after losing your QB?
No drop off whatsoever, and perhaps a clear overall step up. Trubisky was a better, more consistent passer 2 years than Marquise Williams was last year. Fedora went with age and a QB who could run like a bruising Wisconsin RB, and it cost us in the passing game. For example, we lost to SoCar because MW tossed 3 INTs, 2 of them in the end zone, 2 of them simply awful passes (a wide open receiver was available on each play) and the 3rd a poor decision.

if Trubisky had been given the keys last year, we would have beaten SoCar.

We got far behind Clemson primarily because MW sucked for 2 and a half quarters. By the time he showed up, it was too late.

We can beat UGA, but we need the D to play the way it did last year at its best. That is not a Top 10 D, but it is one that can hold the line for our very explosive offense to put up 35 or more. If our D looks the way it did versus Baylor (when injuries decimated the front), UGA could rush for 600 yards and 6 TDs.

I do not expect that happen, but I think UGA has enough on offense to score 5 times or more against our still thin and young D. If we can make at least a couple of those FGs rather than TDs, we should win.

I think that we will go 9-3 in the regular season and finally win a bowl to finish out 10-3.

IMO, we have question marks all across the board. Mitch has a ton of talent and potential, but I feel that most people are putting unrealistic expectations on him for this year. If he can put up similar numbers to what Quise did for us last year, I will be elated. Also, our DL has SO much to prove this year. We have to show that we can stop the run and get a pass rush. At this point, no one has proven to be the leader of that DL. I am hoping that Naz will develop into that player for us this year. And then we have LB. If anyone says that they know how our LBs will perform, they are crazy. Once again, we have talent, but do we have guys who can consistently make plays. Finally, I am interested to see how our DBs perform with a more complicated system in place for tihs year. Remember, last year we stayed really basic because it was Chizik's first year. This somewhat hurt us at the DL and LB spots, but we didn't have many blown coverages and our guys were comfortable in the simplicity of the system. This year will be different and we can expect to see some blown coverages early in the year as our guys get used to the advanced assignments.
Hard to argue with any of this, yet....I'll be disappointed if we only win 9 :/ ...which is crazy because until last season, we hadn't won 9 since 1997!

Hard to argue with any of this, yet....I'll be disappointed if we only win 9 :/ ...which is crazy because until last season, we hadn't won 9 since 1997!
You have already predicted that we will lose to UGa. Do you think we will beat FSU and Miami? These are the only games that I see us as underdogs and I feel the D will be better just not sure by how much.

You have already predicted that we will lose to UGa. Do you think we will beat FSU and Miami? These are the only games that I see us as underdogs and I feel the D will be better just not sure by how much.
I think we will split with FSU and Miami. I just don't see us winning in Tally. Dalvin Cook will run for 200 yards and then will punch another girl in the face when he's out on the town celebrating afterward.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
I think our Offense will flourish under Mitch and will be better than last year. The ball will be distributed across the board with all types of runs and especially passes to really spread the D making it extremely hard to stop us. Mitch came very highly recruited and I think felt he would be able to supplant Marquise his FR RS year. I think he learned a lot from that experience that maybe college ball wasn't going to be as easy to conquer as he thought and really pushed himself, understood the process and is ready to explode this year. His path to starting is what generally used to always be the case where you wait and learn and then start your RS JR year so I think he is poised and ready to lead us to another ACC Championship game.

I think our Defense will continue to improve. I think what gets lost some because of our run D is that our Scoring Defense ranking was unbelievably improved and in the end is the stat that Fedora and Chizik were concerned about. I do think now that Chizik and other coaches have had a year with the players and are installing some more schemes that improvement with run D will happen but again most important is limiting the scores. I don't think the schemes are that complicated that we will suddenly start giving up big plays again and if they do we'll simplify again until they do learn those schemes. We don't need and frankly most college D's even those with tons of 4 and 5 stars holding teams to under 20 points a game. If we again can improve enough against the better teams to hold those types to around 30 then I have full faith our O will average well above 30 a game.

I think we may lose 1 regular season game if Mitch stays healthy as I do think he will be our 1 can't lose guy at least in the big games.

Reactions: Raising Heel
Reactions: -COUNTRY-CLUB-JOE-
I have trouble finding difference-makers in the front 7.

Naz is the best in the front 7, but does he command a double-team? Probably not. Like any other defender on our line, I don't think they are a bull-rush threat. Naz and Dalton have a quick first step and are athletic, but i didn't see them overpowering people last yr. They've both added 15 pounds, so maybe this will change, but they both have a reallly high center of gravity.

Jeremiah Clarke has been in the program longer than Dalton, and looks the part, but instead of cementing his spot in the first string he missed all of spring and came back 10 pounds lighter.

DE was disappointing last yr and I have trouble expecting much more from the returnees. Esp with Drennon missing time lately. Sometimes true frosh are every-down difference makers but this is rare for our level of recruiting.

Cayson Collins was in the dog house last yr due to play-book issues. He seemed to have trouble with play recognition, decision making etc. J Jackson started over Collins. Nickel package was originally going to be Schoettmer and Jackson/Collins, but Shakeel outplayed him for that role. He's fast and physical, but like Travis Hughes he needs to a better job understanding where he needs to be. Hopefully he's fixed this stuff or we're screwed since it sounds like he's the starting in 4-3 as well as nickel.

Cole Holcomb primarily played special teams, didn't get much run, so he's a big question mark to me.

Malik Simmons and Sam Smiley were veterans, but we should have enough talent to replace them in the secondary.

My expectations for defensive improvement over last yr are not tremendous. I expect O to be great again.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
Personally, I'm very excited about seeing Naz and Dalton starting. I see our DL as improved and our LB play as significantly improved. The talent level will be a little better and you can't underestimate the value of another year under our staff.

I'm very fascinated in the backup QB battle as I talked about in the QB depth thread.

The team scrimmaged today for the first time this fall. The video highlight (it's more of a teaser) is free on GoHeels.com. I'll link it in a second when I have a minute. Groves and Rene both had a good scrimmage. As did Jordon Brown.

Speaking of freshman, I'd love to hear y'alls thoughts on who will redshirt vs. who won't. Here's the link to the incoming class (excluding Kyree Campbell and James Pierre who didn't qualify, and adding Australian punter Tom Sheldon).

Here's my thoughts on who will see action this fall instead of redshirt:

The Obvious:
- Jordon Brown
- Tom Sheldon
- J.B. Copeland
- Jonathan Smith

My Predictions for the remaining who will play this fall:
- Patrice Rene
- Rontavius Groves
- Tomon Fox

Maybes:
- Myles Wolfolk
- Myles Dorn
- Marlon Dunlap
- Tyrone Hopper

If we can redshirt all the rest, that's a mark of a solid program. You want to bring in outstanding talent, yet have such good players already in place on the 2-deep that you can redshirt said talent and let them get seasoning. Even in modern college football this remains true, save for running backs and a few other skill positions like WR and CB. In the trenches, though, you almost always want to redshirt all those players unless it's truly a freakish specimen

Last edited:
So if all these "solid" programs please show me how many them are playing lots of 5th year players outside of Olinemen and Quarterbacks because I'm just not seeing that. The reason they redshirt is not to have them 5 years down the road it's because they aren't ready either physically or mentally or there just isn't enough playing time as coaches can't possibly really get all 85 players ready to play so the FR sit and then get "redshirted".

Frankly if all FR, outside OL and the QB's, were ready to play and we gave them some reps during the season to get them ready for the rest of their career it wouldn't bother me. I think your Obvious will definitely play as will Fox, Dunlap, Dorn, and Rene. Most likely to also play will be Woffolk, Sails, CB Ross. The LB's Hopper and Ross I'm not sure physically will be ready to play and if others play ok not sure they'll be enough playing time for them to get into the rotation.

The Obvious:
- Jordon Brown
- Tom Sheldon
- J.B. Copeland
- Jonathan Smith

My Predictions for the remaining who will play this fall:
- Patrice Rene
- Rontavius Groves
- Tomon Fox

Maybes:
- Myles Wolfolk
- Myles Dorn
- Marlon Dunlap
- Tyrone Hopper

i think Dorn is in the 2-deep for free safety.

If Rene is the only corner who redshirts, that is 5 guys who could play - Morgan, Bell, Rene, MJ, Des. So i could see a 6th coming from the true frosh ranks - sails or greg ross.

Also the rookie cornerbacks and a guy like wolfolk, it partly depends on how well special teams is filling out. We lost guys like Damien Washington and Romar Morris who were pretty solid speedsters.

So if all these "solid" programs please show me how many them are playing lots of 5th year players outside of Olinemen and Quarterbacks because I'm just not seeing that. The reason they redshirt is not to have them 5 years down the road it's because they aren't ready either physically or mentally or there just isn't enough playing time as coaches can't possibly really get all 85 players ready to play so the FR sit and then get "redshirted".

Frankly if all FR, outside OL and the QB's, were ready to play and we gave them some reps during the season to get them ready for the rest of their career it wouldn't bother me. I think your Obvious will definitely play as will Fox, Dunlap, Dorn, and Rene. Most likely to also play will be Woffolk, Sails, CB Ross. The LB's Hopper and Ross I'm not sure physically will be ready to play and if others play ok not sure they'll be enough playing time for them to get into the rotation.

I think "aren't ready ... physically" is the primary key. Mentally not adjusting to speed of the gm would be secondary. It is ridiculous to surmise that most DL wouldn't be better off redshirting.

As for "solid" programs there is some chicken & egg because elite teams are recruiting elite players like Dexter Lawrence who are physically ready immediately. Regardless, two DTs in Clemson's two deep (including the starter) redshirted. Same with FSU. Three of the 4 DE in Clemson's two deep redshirted.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
Except for Dalton everybody on the DLine was redshirted I think...

And he totally should've. He got pushed around. By the end of the yr he had a few impactful plays... such a quick first step and obviously pretty strong.

The plan was to NOT redshirt Crawford, but this was probably due to dearth of big bodies... he was the 5th DT (thomason, nazair, clarke, dinkins) [powell quickly moved to DE only]

And he totally should've. He got pushed around. By the end of the yr he had a few impactful plays... such a quick first step and obviously pretty strong.

The plan was to NOT redshirt Crawford, but this was probably due to dearth of big bodies... he was the 5th DT (thomason, nazair, clarke, dinkins) [powell quickly moved to DE only]
Yep, I also agree that Dalton should've redshirted. Waste of a year, IMO. I am glad that we kept the redshirt on Tommy Hatton though. That was always a dicey situation because of how thin we were at center beyond Crowley.

Reactions: Raising Heel
Yep, I also agree that Dalton should've redshirted. Waste of a year, IMO. I am glad that we kept the redshirt on Tommy Hatton though. That was always a dicey situation because of how thin we were at center beyond Crowley.

Dalton is starting because of that experience so why would we wish he hadn't played and we would be better off also if Crawford hadn't gotten hurt and played the whole year. Dalton in a Q&A I just read stated how different playing is then practice and how valuable what he learned last year by playing has him ready to start this year. Do you really think Dalton was going to start for 3 years and then stick around for a 5th year. Heck Naz has publically stated he plans to go Pro if he has any kind of year like he plans on having.

The only reason Crawford was a redshirt was because of injury if I am not mistaken...

Seeing some of the photos from practice Dunlap looks bigger than his Bio...He was listed around 275 but looks larger than that...I forgot how young we were on the inside of the D line...

I have trouble finding difference-makers in the front 7.

Naz is the best in the front 7, but does he command a double-team? Probably not. Like any other defender on our line, I don't think they are a bull-rush threat. Naz and Dalton have a quick first step and are athletic, but i didn't see them overpowering people last yr. They've both added 15 pounds, so maybe this will change, but they both have a reallly high center of gravity.

Jeremiah Clarke has been in the program longer than Dalton, and looks the part, but instead of cementing his spot in the first string he missed all of spring and came back 10 pounds lighter.

DE was disappointing last yr and I have trouble expecting much more from the returnees. Esp with Drennon missing time lately. Sometimes true frosh are every-down difference makers but this is rare for our level of recruiting.

Cayson Collins was in the dog house last yr due to play-book issues. He seemed to have trouble with play recognition, decision making etc. J Jackson started over Collins. Nickel package was originally going to be Schoettmer and Jackson/Collins, but Shakeel outplayed him for that role. He's fast and physical, but like Travis Hughes he needs to a better job understanding where he needs to be. Hopefully he's fixed this stuff or we're screwed since it sounds like he's the starting in 4-3 as well as nickel.

Cole Holcomb primarily played special teams, didn't get much run, so he's a big question mark to me.

Malik Simmons and Sam Smiley were veterans, but we should have enough talent to replace them in the secondary.

My expectations for defensive improvement over last yr are not tremendous. I expect O to be great again.

Naz Jones is good enough people think he can pro after this season. Dalton was very young, a freshman, think he started school at age 17, and transitioning from DE to DT. All reports are that he has come a long ways.

So I'd say Dalton and Naz Jones will be difference makers on the inside. Not saying they'll be All-America and it's hard to gauge right now. But their prospects are very high. Keep in mind Dalton was the number recruit from the state of NC.

Back-up DTs, Clarke, Crawford and Dinkins all have shown some real potential, and it looks like true freshman Dunlap is a beast and may see the field this season.

Powell looks like he will play outside and reportedly is much more mobile and had been playing with an injury since HS. So we'll see. I share the same concern about starters Drennon and Bart, but they also have another year of coaching and a lot of game experience. I would expect both to be better, and Strowbridge was a 4 start recruit, I believe. Maybe he'll be good. Bet we see Fox on the field some this season, and he's supposedly a freak of an athlete and a great pass rusher.

Lots of questions on the LBs but it's quite possible they will be great. Rashad was very good and he was new to the position. I agree there are a lot of question marks but if we are healthy, we may be much better defensively. There were some games the defense looked pretty good last season when we were healthy.

Very interesting discussion HERE about the upcoming 9-game conference schedule vote. It's on the Pitt board. The Clemson guy is a little too harsh for my liking in his delivery, but he makes good points. I'm very, very much against a 9-game conference slate. I'm very much against that. Moving to 9 games will make it impossible for UNC to ever schedule a good home-and-home OOC matchup again because we need 7 home games. 9-game conf. schedule will ensure more cupcake games being the norm for UNC.

Very interesting discussion HERE about the upcoming 9-game conference schedule vote. It's on the Pitt board. The Clemson guy is a little too harsh for my liking in his delivery, but he makes good points. I'm very, very much against a 9-game conference slate. I'm very much against that. Moving to 9 games will make it impossible for UNC to ever schedule a good home-and-home OOC matchup again because we need 7 home games. 9-game conf. schedule will ensure more cupcake games being the norm for UNC.
I agree.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT