ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Season Discussion Thread

I think we will split with FSU and Miami. I just don't see us winning in Tally. Dalvin Cook will run for 200 yards and then will punch another girl in the face when he's out on the town celebrating afterward.
I agree that FSU is the 1 game we should have almost no chance to win. It is there, and FSU has Cook and a host of 5* recruits.

I agree that FSU is the 1 game we should have almost no chance to win. It is there, and FSU has Cook and a host of 5* recruits.
A difficult task indeed. Their rushing game should be very solid. And a defense that held opponents to less than 25 points in 12 of 13 games last year should once again be solid. Their biggest question mark is at QB.

"But there’s a good chance Jimbo Fisher will make you wait until the final days of fall practice until he reveals his Week 1 starter. Sean Maguire hopes to retake the job he earned at the end of last season. After playing on a broken ankle in the Peach Bowl, Maguire missed spring practice, but is expected to be ready for preseason camp. Redshirt freshman Deondre Francois, who took first-team snaps during the spring and has the most upside of the two, is FSU’s quarterback of the future. Getting Francois valuable experience in 2016 can set the Seminoles up for a title run — or title defense — in 2017. For the second straight season, Fisher has a quarterback competition to sort out. But he’s got to be excited about the prospects."

So they could be starting a RS Freshman at QB, generally not the optimal situation. Here are the number of starts for their OL in '15 and their ranking coming in:

RG 13 starts 3*
RT 9 starts 4*
C 6 starts 3*
LG 8 starts 3*
LT 13 starts 4*

So they have some experience on their OL but not as much as last year, and their talent may not quite be at their normal level. That could be a concern with an inexperienced QB, not as much if they opt to start the more experienced, albeit less talented senior QB.

My pick is for Clemson to win that division.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
Not directly related to the 2016 season, but on this past Friday, the ACC ADs voted to table a vote on moving from an 8-game conference season to a 9-game conference season. Essentially the status quo will be changed and one of two options will be chosen:

"8+2": Stay at 8 conference games but up the annual requirement from 1 P5 OOC to 2 P5 OOC
"9+1": Move to 9 conference games but keep the annual requirement at 1 P5 OOC
*Note: It is unclear at this time if "OOC" ACC teams could satisfy one of the two required P5 games, but from what I understand, it will NOT. I.E., you gotta schedule two non-ACC schools who are in the Power 5
*Note: This is all at the insistence of ESPN as the ACC needs more inventory for the upcoming network.
*I much prefer the 8+2 model and would hate for us to go to 9+1. Now, I'd prefer the 3+5 setup beyond anything else, but it's clear that other conferences (cough, Big 10) will prevent the NCAA from allowing that change to come in to being. So therefore, I vote 8+2. A.J. has reported on premium which one Fedora favors .....but y'all can find Fedora's opinion on it on various internet sources. Furthermore, Bubba's supposed stance on the issue can also be found on various articles online (supposedly, his view differs from Fedora's) but I do not know if I buy what's being reported on Bubba's stance. Although I phrase it as Bubba's stance -- he's the one casting the vote -- I guess it would be more accurate to phrase it as UNC's stance? I don't know how unilateral a decision it is or isn't for Bubba.

The vote has been pushed back to October.

My tickets came in today. Guess it's time to start getting excited about football! Anybody hearing anything about the back up quarterbacks? Heard a little scuttlebutt (no, not mid-summer intel :cool:) about no one exactly distinguishing themselves, but was wondering if anyone else had any info.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
My tickets came in today. Guess it's time to start getting excited about football! Anybody hearing anything about the back up quarterbacks? Heard a little scuttlebutt (no, not mid-summer intel :cool:) about no one exactly distinguishing themselves, but was wondering if anyone else had any info.
Wide open race for backup QB spot, noted by the "OR" on the depth chart between Elliott and Henderson.

Last year everyone thought I was crazy predicting what I did. Well, call me crazy again for I believe the Heels will go through the regular season with 1 lose if that. I look out at the conference and do not see a defense that can stop our O especially when they up the tempo. The same can not be said for our opponents. Our D can get some stops.

Not directly related to the 2016 season, but on this past Friday, the ACC ADs voted to table a vote on moving from an 8-game conference season to a 9-game conference season. Essentially the status quo will be changed and one of two options will be chosen:

"8+2": Stay at 8 conference games but up the annual requirement from 1 P5 OOC to 2 P5 OOC
"9+1": Move to 9 conference games but keep the annual requirement at 1 P5 OOC
*Note: It is unclear at this time if "OOC" ACC teams could satisfy one of the two required P5 games, but from what I understand, it will NOT. I.E., you gotta schedule two non-ACC schools who are in the Power 5
*Note: This is all at the insistence of ESPN as the ACC needs more inventory for the upcoming network.
*I much prefer the 8+2 model and would hate for us to go to 9+1. Now, I'd prefer the 3+5 setup beyond anything else, but it's clear that other conferences (cough, Big 10) will prevent the NCAA from allowing that change to come in to being. So therefore, I vote 8+2. A.J. has reported on premium which one Fedora favors .....but y'all can find Fedora's opinion on it on various internet sources. Furthermore, Bubba's supposed stance on the issue can also be found on various articles online (supposedly, his view differs from Fedora's) but I do not know if I buy what's being reported on Bubba's stance. Although I phrase it as Bubba's stance -- he's the one casting the vote -- I guess it would be more accurate to phrase it as UNC's stance? I don't know how unilateral a decision it is or isn't for Bubba.

The vote has been pushed back to October.
If the Big 12 ends up going back to 8 league games, that will make it easier for ACC teams to schedule the likes of Texas, OU, TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, WVU. If Cincy gets invited, that is a nice team for UNC to play because we should keep recruiting OH.

If the Big 12 ends up going back to 8 league games, that will make it easier for ACC teams to schedule the likes of Texas, OU, TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, WVU. If Cincy gets invited, that is a nice team for UNC to play because we should keep recruiting OH.
Haven't heard any rumblings of the Big 12 going to 8 games? Is this something you're hearing discussed?

Haven't heard any rumblings of the Big 12 going to 8 games? Is this something you're hearing discussed?
A lot of Big 12 fans discussing possible expansion make that a reason to expand. Some of them quote an AD or coach or Big 12 radio guy or sports writer who suggests that maybe 1 less league game and 1 more OOC against a P5 would help the Big 12's perception nationally.

A lot of Big 12 fans discussing possible expansion make that a reason to expand. Some of them quote an AD or coach or Big 12 radio guy or sports writer who suggests that maybe 1 less league game and 1 more OOC against a P5 would help the Big 12's perception nationally.
One less conference game will always help any conference's perception because it means a 5 (for Big 12), 6 (for Pac 12), or 7 (for ACC, SEC, Big 10) less losses for the conference and potentially that many more wins out-of-conference.

One less conference game will always help any conference's perception because it means a 5 (for Big 12), 6 (for Pac 12), or 7 (for ACC, SEC, Big 10) less losses for the conference and potentially that many more wins out-of-conference.
That, and it means your league is seen by more fans of other leagues.

I think the ACCN is going to need 8 league games + 2 OOC P5 games.

I think the ideal OOC type schedule for an ACC team is 2 P5s (1 Home and 1 Away), 1 often weaker non-P5 (always at Home), and 1 dud non-P5 or 1AA (always at home).

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
Thanks for the highlights.

Sounds like Holcomb is impressing folks.
I didn't think he had a chance of staying at 1 on the depth chart, but I'm starting to think he just may do it. Now, who knows if that's a good thing or a bad thing for us. I hope it means Holcomb has masterfully evolved and grown as a player, rather than it meaning our other LBers didn't step up.

I didn't think he had a chance of staying at 1 on the depth chart, but I'm starting to think he just may do it. Now, who knows if that's a good thing or a bad thing for us. I hope it means Holcomb has masterfully evolved and grown as a player, rather than it meaning our other LBers didn't step up.

He's where he needs to be on the field at the right time, and that counts for a lot. Chizik said he wasn't concerned about the LB group. To me, that says they've all stepped up and Holcomb has earned the spot. At the same time, judging by some comments, there may well be a lot of parity among LBs and someone else could step up and earn the 1 spot.

J Smith, as a freshman, is said to probably be the 2nd best linebacker, but he was always slated for middle linebacker. Nonetheless, it may be he slides over to weak-side or strong-side some and displaces either Holcomb or Cayson, if he's really the 2nd best LB on the team.

There were people certain Shoettmer starting at LB meant we could not win a game. Even at the end of his career, many fans failed to acknowledge that he had been the most fundamentally sound, smartest playing guy we had on D for 3 years.

Holcomb could be another walk on who is smarter and works harder than guys who had 10 P5 scholarship offers.

Reactions: Archer2
A key to the D this year may be Powell. He was recruited as a DT and seemed very impressive as a true freshman early, and then a series of injuries derailed for most of the last 2 seasons.

Powell wrestled in HS and had to keep his weight under 245 (?). So he had never tried to carry major weight until getting to UNC. Trying to get to and play at 290 may have contributed to his series of injuries. Perhaps if he plays at 270, he can avoid the injury bug and be a very tough DE.

A key to the D this year may be Powell. He was recruited as a DT and seemed very impressive as a true freshman early, and then a series of injuries derailed for most of the last 2 seasons.

Powell wrestled in HS and had to keep his weight under 245 (?). So he had never tried to carry major weight until getting to UNC. Trying to get to and play at 290 may have contributed to his series of injuries. Perhaps if he plays at 270, he can avoid the injury bug and be a very tough DE.

Agree and am glad he's been given a shot at it.

So for the GA game, we will start Powell, Naz Jones, Dalton and Mickey Bart. That's some good size on the D-line. When Drennon gets back, he'll probably replace Powell. Hopefully they can make a big difference stopping the run. It may be the DTs are the better pass rushers here.

Strowbridge, Fox and Carney may all play some for the GA game, it appears, and they are working to get Allen Cater to play this season as well. This is definitely a big work in progress and still kind of a young D-line in some respects, but we should be better.

Plus, we seem to have some solid back-ups at DT in Jeremiah Clarke, Dinkins, Crawford and the freshman Dunlap who came in reported as kind of a raw talent but looks like a beast. Wouldn't be surprised to see him play this season, especially if we have any injuries.

Last edited:
Reactions: Archer2
I think that Dunlap coming in and being ready to contribute some right away has made the decision easier and although he may not contribute a lot just having that confidence in him and therefore allowing Powell to slide probably full-time over to DE is I think going to be huge for the team. On running downs having Powell at DE has to help with his size and toughness. It gives us a lot more flexibility and we can be a lot more situational in our substitutions.

I think that Dunlap coming in and being ready to contribute some right away has made the decision easier and although he may not contribute a lot just having that confidence in him and therefore allowing Powell to slide probably full-time over to DE is I think going to be huge for the team. On running downs having Powell at DE has to help with his size and toughness. It gives us a lot more flexibility and we can be a lot more situational in our substitutions.

Very good points, especially on flexibility and the ability to play different line-ups in certain situations.

One thing I haven't heard a lot of talk on the forums is that we're going to play 5 guys on the line at times and as Fedora mentioned 4 and half, whatever that means.

With a 9 game conference schedule, you can add 7 more automatic conference losses each year...fewer bowl eligible teams, lower SOS's for winning teams.

For the four teams like FSU that play their SEC rival every year and Notre Dame every third year or so, having 10-11 games set every year limits the OOC possibilities.

I like the intersectional matches and neutral site games...in 2014 FSU opened with Oklahoma state in Arlington, this year they open with Ole Miss in Orlando and next year with Alabama in Atlanta. WVU in Atlanta is on a future schedule as well. Those games could be curtailed in the future with the extra conference game.

Additionally...the SEC plays 8 conference games. When a team like FSU's main rival (Florida) schedules a patsy before the season ending big rivalry game as they always do, and the ACC program has to play a meaningful conference game, it gives the SEC rival an advantage.

Florida's latest opponents before the FSU game...FAU, Eastern Kentucky, Furman, Jax State, etc.

Last edited:
North Carolina vs FSU should be interesting. If it was a little earlier in the season, FSU would have a real QB disadvantage since they will be playing a freshman with no game experience.

Maguire broke a bone in his foot (on the other side from the bad ankle) on the second day of practice and is out for a month (meaning his days as a starter are over since he hasn't really even practiced since 2015).

Francois will start...and will have four games worth of experience when he walks out on the field against UNC.

Both teams will have good O lines. I think that UNC, with 7 starters back on D, will show improvement on that side of the ball. Last year the defense gave up an average 247 ypg rushing (the most in the last 8 seasons)...it should be lower this year.

Hood and Logan at RB will be scary with the returning O line. UNC will probably be favored in 11 of the games of the regular season.

For FSU, it will all depend on the development of the first year starter at QB. If he can hit receivers, with the running backs to keep a defense honest, they will be difficult to beat at home.

Reactions: Raising Heel
North Carolina vs FSU should be interesting. If it was a little earlier in the season, FSU would have a real QB disadvantage since they will be playing a freshman with no game experience.

Maguire broke a bone in his foot (on the other side from the bad ankle) on the second day of practice and is out for a month (meaning his days as a starter are over since he hasn't really even practiced since 2015).

Francois will start...and will have four games worth of experience when he walks out on the field against UNC.

Both teams will have good O lines. I think that UNC, with 7 starters back on D, will show improvement on that side of the ball. Last year the defense gave up an average 247 ypg rushing (the most in the last 8 seasons)...it should be lower this year.

Hood and Logan at RB will be scary with the returning O line. UNC will probably be favored in 11 of the games of the regular season.

For FSU, it will all depend on the development of the first year starter at QB. If he can hit receivers, with the running backs to keep a defense honest, they will be difficult to beat at home.
I think that's a pretty fair assessment. With the injury to Maguire it does indeed appear that FSU will be starting the freshman at QB. Of course we all know that a freshman QB can be successful if he's playing behind a really good offensive line. And FSU traditionally has a really good offensive line, so we'll see.

I am hoping UNC can get a few more sacks this year. We had 22 to FSU's 32 last year. But it sure seemed like we had even less than that to me. I'm confident our DL will be improved, more pressure on the QB would certainly be nice.

IMO, y'alls QB battle isn't as important as it would be if you didn't have Dalvin Cook in your backfield. That dude ran for, what, 1500+ yards last season and he was basically running with a busted hamstring. Cook is a freak. If I'm Jimbo, I run it early and often and then build my passing game off of taking advantage when the defense inevitably brings 8 and 9 into the box.

IMO, the game in Tallahassee is a bridge too far for Carolina right now. If we got you guys in Chapel Hill this year, I'd feel much better about the game.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I can't imagine having to play a very good team twice in a season (regular season & CCG)...Yet, in the ACC, it has happened four times...

2 were splits, 2 were sweeps

I'm worried about our LBs. How our defense responds to losing Rashad and Schottmer will be telling. I like our front and I feel our secondary can be one of the best units in the ACC.

I love the offense under Mitch. I think we'll be as good or better than last year. Love that the o-line is experienced and I think if Fedora uses Hood correctly, he could be a Heisman candidate. I love Logan and feel he is the absolute best change of pace guy we could have. Losing Davis outside is big because he was a guy we could go to when we really needed a 6 yard first down catch. Hopefully Bug steps up and allows Switzer and Mack to their thing.

I like us to beat Georgia. I like us to win by considerable margin. I think the team and Fedora have been looking forward to this game for some time. Smart is a rookie coach and with it being the first game of the year, you have to wonder what the program will look like under him. Plus, they're all banged up and just recently Smart was questioning his LB corps. I think we roll.

As far as the rest of the season, I'm optimistic. I've been such a pessimist about Carolina football that it feels weird to be expecting a good season. 10-2 is attainable. I'm not scared of Miami but I like Richt and think he could do some nice things there. Of course FSU will be tough but I have a funny feeling about that game. I like that it's fairly early on and if we win the UGa game and build some confidence, who knows?

So I'll say 10-2 with an outside shot at 11-1. I can live with 9-3. Less than 9 wins and we will have underachieved and I will be sorely disappointed.

if I knew for sure what to expect from Gene Chizik and our D I would be tempted to make a 'sky's the limit' prediction, and just in case I put $20 on the Heels to win it all when I was in Vegas in June...

got 100 to 1 and I'm gonna' throw a wild party if I cash that ticket...

ya' know "hookers, and alcohol and drugs, and then I'll squander the rest"...

also wagered on my son's alma mater $20 @ 1,000 to 1 so if the national title game is UNC vs. SDSU I can't lose although one of us is gonna' be happy and sad at the same time when that game is over, should it come to pass...

Reactions: Raising Heel
I'm worried about our LBs. How our defense responds to losing Rashad and Schottmer will be telling. I like our front and I feel our secondary can be one of the best units in the ACC.

So I'll say 10-2 with an outside shot at 11-1. I can live with 9-3. Less than 9 wins and we will have underachieved and I will be sorely disappointed.

I think what we lose in experience in Rashad and Schoettmer will be offset by improved athleticism and improved play on our DL. And another year under Chizk certainly can't hurt as our defense becomes more comfortable with their assignments.

I think 10-2 is a pretty realistic goal if we play to our potential and stay relatively free of injuries serious injuries, specifically to our DL and at QB.

I think what we lose in experience in Rashad and Schoettmer will be offset by improved athleticism and improved play on our DL. And another year under Chizk certainly can't hurt as our defense becomes more comfortable with their assignments.

I think 10-2 is a pretty realistic goal if we play to our potential and stay relatively free of injuries serious injuries, specifically to our DL and at QB.

I agree with you guys. 10-2 would be a very good season, and anything better would be amazing. 9-3 is kind of the baseline, and anything worse than that would be disappointing.

Injuries could be devastating though. We have a very formidable first 22 imo, with a lot of upperclassmen and starting experience, but the depth behind those guys is mostly untested freshman and sophomores. A few key injuries could drastically alter the trajectory of our season.

I'm interested to see which under the radar receiver makes more of a name for himself this year. Switzer, Howard, Hollins are the known trio. I'd argue that even Proehl is right there too, but he may not be well known to the more casual observer.

If, for discussion's sake, Proehl is considered "not one of the main guys," I say he makes a big splash this year. IMO, he's our most elusive and agile YAC guy not named T.J. Logan. Beyond Proehl, I'm not sure. Fielleuteau hasn't really impressed as much as I thought he would have now (and that's putting it kindly).

I'm interested to see which under the radar receiver makes more of a name for himself this year. Switzer, Howard, Hollins are the known trio. I'd argue that even Proehl is right there too, but he may not be well known to the more casual observer.

If, for discussion's sake, Proehl is considered "not one of the main guys," I say he makes a big splash this year. IMO, he's our most elusive and agile YAC guy not named T.J. Logan. Beyond Proehl, I'm not sure. Fielleuteau hasn't really impressed as much as I thought he would have now (and that's putting it kindly).
We know Proehl has the DNA. A lot of times he ends up with a linebacker covering him in our sets. He really is too good for other teams to cover him like that. But what do you do? Let Switzer or someone else run loose? I hope the kid shows off this year.

It'll be interesting to see if Cabrera or Perry can crack the two deep. It'll be their third year in the program so if they aren't ready at this point, they may get passed by some of the younger guys like Mollette, Groves and ARW.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT