ADVERTISEMENT

2017-2018 OOTB other UNC sports thread

tarheel0910

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2011
Earth
I know in the past we normally start the other sports thread after basketball season. Since we have so many good fall sports teams I thought we should just go ahead and do it for the whole year. So, without further ado...

#4 ranked women's soccer played UL to a 0-0 draw on Sunday. They are currently 12-2-1 overall and 8-0-1 in ACC play.

Upcoming games this week
Swimming @ lil' Carolina tomorrow
#4 Women's soccer vs #24 ND tomorrow
#1 Men's soccer vs ND Friday
Cross country @ ACC championship Friday
Volleyball vs FSU Friday
Men's tennis @ Charollette invitational Saturday
Men's golf @ Grandover Collegiate Saturday
Women's Fencing @ Temple Collegiate Open Saturday

UNC soccer currently ranked #3 (men) and #4 (women) nationally. Not too shabby.

I don't know how useful the RPI is in soccer, but the men are #1 in that metric and the ACC holds the top four spots and seven of the Top 10. That seems impressive for any sport.

Reactions: toophly1124
UNC soccer currently ranked #3 (men) and #4 (women) nationally. Not too shabby.

I don't know how useful the RPI is in soccer, but the men are #1 in that metric and the ACC holds the top four spots and seven of the Top 10. That seems impressive for any sport.
The ACC is a ridiculously stout athletics conference, and I don't think enough folks realize it. The ACC typically has FIVE Top 15 teams, and often 4-5 Top 5 teams in all of these sports, every. single. year:

- men's soccer*
- women's soccer*
- men's basketball*
- men's lax*
- women's lax*
- field hockey*
- baseball

You want the real reason Carolina will never leave the ACC for the SEC? It's the list above. I put an asterisk by every sport Carolina has won a national championship in. Of the 6 listed, the SEC does not field 3 of the 6 at varsity level (men's soccer, men's lax, field hockey).

Those are three sports UNC is regularly in the Top 10 in.

Results
Swimming @ lil' Carolina = Men lost, Women won
#4 Women's soccer vs #24 ND= tie 1-1
#1 Men's soccer vs ND= W 3-0
Volleyball vs FSU= L 0-3
Men's golf @ Grandover Collegiate Saturday
Women's Fencing @ Temple Collegiate Open Saturday

Upcoming Games
WTEN vs Oracle ITA National Fall Championships Today- Sunday
FH vs Wake Forest (ACC Quarterfinals) Thursday
WSOC vs NC State Friday
MTEN vs Wake Forest Invitational Friday- Sunday
WTEN vs Kitty Harrison Invitational Friday- Sunday
WGOLF at Battle at the Beach Day Friday- Sunday
VB vs Boston College Friday
FENCE vs Elite Invitational Saturday- Sunday
SWIM vs Virginia Tech Saturday
WROW vs Head of the Hooch Regatta Saturday

I'd be interested to see how the CC team fares. I'm into running but don't really follow it at the college level. I wonder how fast the top guy from unc is in the 5k/10k

Edit: we've got a handful of guys who can break 15 in the 5k and 30 in the 10k. Damn that's fast...

I'd be interested to see how the CC team fares. I'm into running but don't really follow it at the college level. I wonder how fast the top guy from unc is in the 5k/10k
Women's team had two All-ACC (Alcorta and Ilse) runners. Both teams aren't ranked. I couldn't find anything about the fastest guy.

Women's team had two All-ACC (Alcorta and Ilse) runners. Both teams aren't ranked. I couldn't find anything about the fastest guy.

I just went to the roster and looked at some of their PR's. I don't think anybody broke 15 minutes in a CC 5k but several guys ran high 14's on the track in the 5k. That's mind blowing to me.

It's also mind blowing that Furman has one of the top teams in the country.

I just went to the roster and looked at some of their PR's. I don't think anybody broke 15 minutes in a CC 5k but several guys ran high 14's on the track in the 5k. That's mind blowing to me.

It's also mind blowing that Furman has one of the top teams in the country.
I ran cross country in high school (I sucked. My PR was 20:55) and I cannot fathom being good at that sport. You wanna talk about something that is the complete opposite of fun. Running a competitive 5K feels absolutely terrible. Like there's a 2-minute period after you finish where you want to just die.

For those who aren't runners, imagine this:
- Go run a lap on a regulation-sized track at your local high school (400 meters) as fast as you possibly can. Record the time.
- Take that time, and add 12-15 seconds to it. So if you ran a 1-minute lap, your lap time is 1:12 to 1:15.
- Now imagine running TWELVE laps (really, 12.25 laps) at that adjusted pace without stopping. That's how CC runners run a 5K and 10K race.

You basically run at 85-90% of your sprint pace.....and you do it without stopping or slowing down. World champion CC runners are super human.

I ran cross country in high school (I sucked. My PR was 20:55) and I cannot fathom being good at that sport. You wanna talk about something that is the complete opposite of fun. Running a competitive 5K feels absolutely terrible. Like there's a 2-minute period after you finish where you want to just die.

For those who aren't runners, imagine this:
- Go run a lap on a regulation-sized track at your local high school (400 meters) as fast as you possibly can. Record the time.
- Take that time, and add 12-15 seconds to it. So if you ran a 1-minute lap, your lap time is 1:12 to 1:15.
- Now imagine running TWELVE laps (really, 12.25 laps) at that adjusted pace without stopping. That's how CC runners run a 5K and 10K race.

You basically run at 85-90% of your sprint pace.....and you do it without stopping or slowing down. World champion CC runners are super human.

Yep. I run every day, and still haven't broken 20 minutes. And I have a collegiate track that's open to the public a mile from my house that I can train on any time that I want.

When I think about guys like Mo Farah who can crank it down in to the low 13's my brain just melts. They're probably running faster than my 400 meter race pace.

There's a trail 5k in Clemson this weekend. Maybe I'll go run it and report back the results.

Yep. I run every day, and still haven't broken 20 minutes.
I really need to start running again consistently. These are two really, really weak excuses but I'm so busy with work and grad school and also, the area I live in is super hilly. I can't just leave my front door and start jogging.....well I could, but i'm back in a neighborhood and it's very, very hilly.

Okay, this thread has inspired me. I'm going to start running again, and I'm going to break 20:00. With as much caffeine as I consume, my heart needs the cardio anyway.

Reactions: uncboy10
I really need to start running again consistently. These are two really, really weak excuses but I'm so busy with work and grad school and also, the area I live in is super hilly. I can't just leave my front door and start jogging.....well I could, but i'm back in a neighborhood and it's very, very hilly.

Okay, this thread has inspired me. I'm going to start running again, and I'm going to break 20:00. With as much caffeine as I consume, my heart needs the cardio anyway.

I'd recommend starting a run streak. I'm almost at 140 days, and not running is no longer an option. I ran through hurricane Irma FFS

I'd recommend starting a run streak. I'm almost at 140 days, and not running is no longer an option. I ran through hurricane Irma FFS
The problem is there's certain days where I just literally don't have time. Like I could run for 5 minutes, but that's not really worthwhile. But it's something I'll consider. I'm gonna start a run thread so we don't clog up this thread. Hold on.

Raven? Is that you?

Real Sports did a piece on this guy right after Hurricane Irma rolled through Miami. He was unable to run his daily 8 miles on the beach that day. So he did like 167 laps around his apt complex instead....in a hurricane.

The story they did on him wasn't all great though. It shined the light on OCD and how that can really f*ck with people. Check that out if you haven't seen it.

Raven? Is that you?

Real Sports did a piece on this guy right after Hurricane Irma rolled through Miami. He was unable to run his daily 8 miles on the beach that day. So he did like 167 laps around his apt complex instead....in a hurricane.

The story they did on him wasn't all great though. It shined the light on OCD and how that can really f*ck with people. Check that out if you haven't seen it.

I saw that. That guy is a maniac.

I just do a minimum of one mile to keep the streak going. I can't imagine running 8/day

I saw that. That guy is a maniac.

I just do a minimum of one mile to keep the streak going. I can't imagine running 8/day

My cousin is at day 885 in her run streak. How do I know? Because she is absolutely nauseating with her reports on Facebook. That and her constant pictures of her doing yoga poses and her stupid as f*ck hashtags.

#yogarunnergirl
#runstreak861
#challengeyourself
#youbeyou
#twentysixpoint2
#bodysculpt
#constantlytraining

Reactions: Raising Heel
My cousin is at day 885 in her run streak. How do I know? Because she is absolutely nauseating with her reports on Facebook. That and her constant pictures of her doing yoga poses and her stupid as f*ck hashtags.

#yogarunnergirl
#runstreak861
#challengeyourself
#youbeyou
#twentysixpoint2
#bodysculpt
#constantlytraining

The use of hashtags on Facebook is an abomination.

Reactions: Raising Heel

#yogarunnergirl
#runstreak861
#challengeyourself
#youbeyou
#twentysixpoint2
#bodysculpt
#constantlytraining
Gonna need to see a pic.

Can't wait to see how they do this year. I know we lost key players, but we still have a lot of talent. Hopefully we can make a deep run.

Obviously lost important cogs to our team but nonetheless we’ll have ourselves another great #diamondheels team. Probably not host a regional (but that may not be a bad thing amirite?).

I predict we’ll be playing in the postseason.

He did a good job last year. He didn't make any mistakes in my opinion. We just ran into a hot team. He's had plenty of success in the postseason.
Not the ultimate success though :(

I really thought last year was our year. I still to this day cannot fathom how we blew that series to Oregon State.

After the season we had, being eliminated by Davidson was beyond embarrassing/pathetic. I may take an @Hark_The_Sound_2010 approach to this Diamond Heels season, at least in the beginning.

Yea and this years football team is embarrassing and pathetic as well. What a guy you are.

ETA. Shit happens. If you don’t follow the #diamondheels then don’t judge.

Obviously lost important cogs to our team but nonetheless we’ll have ourselves another great #diamondheels team. Probably not host a regional (but that may not be a bad thing amirite?).

I predict we’ll be playing in the postseason.
There's no doubt we will be playing in the postseason. The biggest question for this team is going to be who steps up on offense. There is still plenty of pitching talent and defense has always been good under Fox.

Not the ultimate success though :(

I really thought last year was our year. I still to this day cannot fathom how we blew that series to Oregon State.
I'm one of those rational fans that knows you can't judge a season by championships. Fox is one of the best in the game and by far the best UNC coach. Also, never mention the Oregon State series again. TIA.

I'm one of those rational fans that knows you can't judge a season by championships. Fox is one of the best in the game and by far the best UNC coach. Also, never mention the Oregon State series again. TIA.

giphy.gif.cf.gif

Reactions: tarheel0910
I really, really hope field hockey can bring home the national championship this year. They deserve it. They've been snakebitten a bit in the NCAA Tourney the past several seasons.

Reactions: tarheel0910
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT