ADVERTISEMENT

2017-2018 OOTB other UNC sports thread

Fox has gone all in on analytics, but that doesn't mean he will magically not suck when they get to Omaha. It's a time-honored tradition.

I didn't like taking O'Brien out and then when the other freshman came in I didn't like the quick pull on him either. He didn't look bad, just missed his spots a little. It isn't like they were teeing him up or anything.

Then again, I thought Criswell could have pitched longer as well.

Handling of pitching has always been a problem for Fox.... If it’s not a supposed “big gun” or closer he has always had the quick hook
But when it is a big gun, he runs him into the gotdamn ground and throws him for 130 pitches.

Mike Fox baseball.
Woahhh don't say that around here. What, you think you have an inside knowledge of Carolina Baseball or something? ;)

I hate bunting.
It's funny that we still bunt so much because analytics say to NEVER bunt. From all accounts, Fox has dove in to analytics full bore but still likes to put his old school imprint on certain things.

For the record, I don't mind bunting, but it has to be in the right situation.

It's funny that we still bunt so much because analytics say to NEVER bunt. From all accounts, Fox has dove in to analytics full bore but still likes to put his old school imprint on certain things.

Yeah, I don't mind it at times. I almost always hate it when behind though. I hate it 99% of the time in college baseball, where pitchers kind of suck anyway.

Yeah, I don't mind it at times. I almost always hate it when behind though. I hate it 99% of the time in college baseball, where pitchers kind of suck anyway.
Yeah I would never do it in college baseball. Runs are a premium in (especially NL) MLB play. Runs are a dime a dozen in college ball.

The bunt analytics vary significantly depending on where you’re at in the lineup though. If you’re at the nine hole spot and have a leadoff runner at first, it’s usually a good call

I’ve got nothing positive to say at this point. Seen this movie too many times.

But when it is a big gun, he runs him into the gotdamn ground and throws him for 130 pitches.

Woahhh don't say that around here. What, you think you have an inside knowledge of Carolina Baseball or something? ;)
And of course let’s bring in Fox’s favorite Hiatt

It all kind of goes back to pulling O'Brien early though IMO. Just no reason up 3 to yank a guy who had been rolling pretty well. It all went to hell from there.
For sure and you see this in MLB baseball a lot now too. Managers cannot help themselves and have itchy trigger fingers with bullpen pitchers.

If you're up 3, that's a fairly big lead. If your reliever has been cruising, you gotta have faith he can work out of a jam. Bringing in a reliever with inherited runners is always a risky proposition, especially when you're talking about college kids. Like, this isn't The Show. You can't expect a college kid to come in with inherited runners and shut down one of the best 3 teams in the country.

For sure and you see this in MLB baseball a lot now too. Managers cannot help themselves and have itchy trigger fingers with bullpen pitchers.

If you're up 3, that's a fairly big lead. If your reliever has been cruising, you gotta have faith he can work out of a jam. Bringing in a reliever with inherited runners is always a risky proposition, especially when you're talking about college kids. Like, this isn't The Show. You can't expect a college kid to come in with inherited runners and shut down one of the best 3 teams in the country.
And it wasn’t like we were bringing in a reliever who had an era of <1.25 who had been dominant since February.... Nothing against Joey

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
I mean, what do you do? FSU and us are in the same situation. Two legendary coaches who have never won the big one..... both programs probably need to move on relatively soon, but how do you justify that when the coach has had so much dang success (yet can't win the big one).

It's tough. This is why ADs get paid half a mil.

I mean, what do you do? FSU and us are in the same situation. Two legendary coaches who have never won the big one..... both programs probably need to move on relatively soon, but how do you justify that when the coach has had so much dang success (yet can't win the big one).

You're a ****ing moron.

Mike Martin is retiring after next year so there’s one way.

If I was that big I would’ve thrown 100+

What a waste of a pitcher’s body

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT