ADVERTISEMENT

2017-2018 OOTB other UNC sports thread

Oregon is Way more talented than us. They have 4 plus first round players, we have none. We were lucky as hell to get to Omaha.
I agree that getting to Omaha was a big deal and everything after was just gravy. It just sucks getting knocked out by Oregon ****ing State.

Yes you are. You're a ****ing idiot. I hate you and everything you stand for. Go **** yourself and go to hell. Also, **** the state of Oregon.
That's it. Meet me on Peachtree by the Chick-fil-A. You're going down.

Reactions: nctransplant
By the way, I'm going to go ahead and say this while I'm still pissed. Anyone who says we should fire Fox, but keep Fed is a ****ing moron who doesn't know shit about coaching.

By the way, I'm going to go ahead and say this while I'm still pissed. Anyone who says we should fire Fox, but keep Fed is a ****ing moron who doesn't know shit about coaching.
Let me preface this with: if Fedora was fired tomorrow, my love of UNC Football wouldn't change one iota. My allegiance is to UNC, not a coach.

That being said, Fedora has some disadvantages Fox simply does not have to deal with.

Let me preface this with: if Fedora was fired tomorrow, my love of UNC Football wouldn't change one iota. My allegiance is to UNC, not a coach.

That being said, Fedora has some disadvantages Fox simply does not have to deal with.
Like what? Don't give me that juco bullshit either. Football actually had more tradition than baseball before Fox and they definitely had better facilities. And football doesn't have to worry about their recruits not showing up to campus. There's not a single coach that we could get that would even come close to Fox, but by all means let's fire the guy so we can become a mediocre program again. If you want to know what a mediocre program looks like, there is one on campus that you can check out in the fall.

Like what? Don't give me that juco bullshit either. Football actually had more tradition than baseball before Fox and they definitely had better facilities. And football doesn't have to worry about their recruits not showing up to campus. There's not a single coach that we could get that would even come close to Fox, but by all means let's fire the guy so we can become a mediocre program again. If you want to know what a mediocre program looks like, there is one on campus that you can check out in the fall.
I have never been an advocate of FIRING Fox *inserts Mozilla logo* so calm down with that. I'm simply saying maybe it's time to do another assessment of the baseball program. I like that Woodard and his minion have installed an analytics-based approach. That should serve us well. I just want to win a natty in baseball. I don't give af how we do it.

As for the advantages, I know Fox has built UNC Baseball into what it is, but nowadays, football has massive barriers to entry. If you're not a blue blood, you have no chance. Really not the same in baseball. Schools like Kennesaw State can make the CWS. And it's not like UNC is bereft of pro-level talent in baseball.

You wanna argue that UNC Football has underachieved like a motherf***er for 30 years, be my guest. I won't argue with you and I'll agree 100%. That doesn't have any bearing on the fact that UNC Baseball should have a natty by now. We have the facilities, the national prominence, etc. etc. We just need to get it done. Lots of talent coming back next year. I hope next year is our year.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
I have never been an advocate of FIRING Fox *inserts Mozilla logo* so calm down with that. I'm simply saying maybe it's time to do another assessment of the baseball program. I like that Woodard and his minion have installed an analytics-based approach. That should serve us well. I just want to win a natty in baseball. I don't give af how we do it.

As for the advantages, I know Fox has built UNC Baseball into what it is, but nowadays, football has massive barriers to entry. If you're not a blue blood, you have no chance. Really not the same in baseball. Schools like Kennesaw State can make the CWS. And it's not like UNC is bereft of pro-level talent in baseball.

You wanna argue that UNC Football has underachieved like a motherf***er for 30 years, be my guest. I won't argue with you and I'll agree 100%. That doesn't have any bearing on the fact that UNC Baseball should have a natty by now. We have the facilities, the national prominence, etc. etc. We just need to get it done. Lots of talent coming back next year. I hope next year is our year.
You know how we always talk about how UNC football fans have unrealistic expectations? You're doing the same shit they do. And saying Fed is at a disadvantage because we're not a blue blood is about as dumb as the juco thing. And just for the record I'm not an advocate of firing Fed.

ETA: and stop ****ing arguing with me when I'm pissed off. Also, **** the state of Oregon.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
You know how we always talk about how UNC football fans have unrealistic expectations? You're doing the same shit they do. And saying Fed is at a disadvantage because we're not a blue blood is about as dumb as the juco thing. And just for the record I'm not an advocate of firing Fed.
I know you're not an advocate of firing Fedora. I do think you're selling the JUCO thing short though. It's a disadvantage for sure in football.

And yes my expectations are high in baseball, but it's only because Fox has raised the bar that high. In the 00s we had perennial CWS visits in baseball and that raised the bar of expectations. It's a byproduct of success. Like, UNC Baseball is a mainstay and people know we're good and have tradition. We're exactly like FSU. Tradition, lots of players in the pros throughout the years, legendary coach, but haven't won a natty. I have high expectations because UNC Baseball brings in elite players every year. UNC Football doesn't do that. Now, granted, yes this year we didn't have an elite roster compared to past Diamond Heels squads. Making it to Omaha is a big accomplishment this year for us. But it's frustrating when, once we make it there, we see problems that have plagued us for a decade plus.

Winning isn't everything, but I do not know what else UNC Baseball can accomplish besides winning it all. We have done everything else you can do.

Just my two cents and I certainly never claim to be very smart. So there's that.

Besides Daniels and Gahagan(seniors) we have 8 players who were drafted and now must make the decision to go pro or come back to Chapel Hill.... That will determine a lot of where we stand in February

Besides Daniels and Gahagan(seniors) we have 8 players who were drafted and now must make the decision to go pro or come back to Chapel Hill.... That will determine a lot of where we stand in February
Most of them were late round selections, so I think they will be back. Might lose one or two, but we should be in really good shape next year.

No more UNC sports this year is depressing. Just have to wait and see where we end up in the directors cup standings. We should be one of the top ACC teams again.

Winning isn't everything, but I do not know what else UNC Baseball can accomplish besides winning it all. We have done everything else you can do.
I've never thought that winning a national championship is that important, in any sport. Both of Dean Smith's national titles were aided by fluky plays in the waning seconds of the championship game. He wasn't any better a coach with 0:00 left on the clock than he was with 2:00 left.

Anyway, this year's baseball team was a lot of fun to watch. They really put things together in the back half of the schedule. I definitely think they overachieved and it was a remarkable accomplishment to make it to Omaha.

As much as I enjoy seeing our success in the Director's Cup, it's hard to take those rankings seriously. Several of the top teams are there simply by virtue of fielding teams in sports like Beach Volleyball or Women's Water Polo.

I agree. But we've typically ruled it as far as ACC teams go. In fact, I think it's only been 5 years where Carolina did not finish as the top ranked ACC team. In the history of the Director's Cup. That's pretty awesome. UVa and duke have been the only competition in the past. Sucks to see moo right above us. I'm not sure how that happened. What are they even decent in?

I agree. But we've typically ruled it as far as ACC teams go. In fact, I think it's only been 5 years where Carolina did not finish as the top ranked ACC team. In the history of the Director's Cup. That's pretty awesome. UVa and duke have been the only competition in the past. Sucks to see moo right above us. I'm not sure how that happened. What are they even decent in?
They are elite in swim and dive, men's and women's.

Just for funsies, @ticket2ride04 or anyone else in the know, is there any truth (and if so, to what degree) to the theory that ABCers always trot out in regards to UNC Baseball and Scott Boras (MLB super agent) funneling players to Carolina?

Sounds pretty made up and black helicopter-y to me.

There is a lot of merit to both what @TarHeelNation11 and @tarheel0910 are saying. I might have more insight than anyone posting in this thread as well.

On one hand, you can’t get rid of a guy who has taken the program to this level. Fox gets to pick when and how he leaves barring something cataclysmic.

However, Fox should have 2/3 titles in the bag by now. The CWS failures can largely be laid at his feet. His major shortcomings are his blind loyalty to certain players, refusal to develop guys during the season, and how tight he gets in the postseason. I could go on, but I won’t. He is a great person and I’m not sure we could replace him. But until he makes a few changes, this is what we will always see in the postseason.

Just for funsies, @ticket2ride04 or anyone else in the know, is there any truth (and if so, to what degree) to the theory that ABCers always trot out in regards to UNC Baseball and Scott Boras (MLB super agent) funneling players to Carolina?

I see moo mention that a lot on PP. I don't understand the connection though. Apparently Boras and Fox have some kind of deal that Boras will send his best clients to us. Of course that makes no sense given the fact that the top players go pro.

I see moo mention that a lot on PP. I don't understand the connection though. Apparently Boras and Fox have some kind of deal that Boras will send his best clients to us. Of course that makes no sense given the fact that the top players go pro.
Your last sentence is always what makes me question this conspiracy theory.

We just posted at the same time. I alluded to your point in my other post. There is a lot of influence from Boras and other agents as well. Not just with Fox, but he is certainly one of the major managers with whom Boras has sway.

Overall, it’s deeper and more nuanced than that. I’ll try to explain it at a tailgate party this year as best I can.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT