ADVERTISEMENT

2017-2018 OOTB other UNC sports thread

Heels eek out a 1-run win thanks to double plays to end the 8th and 9th innings. See above.
I'm going to ask a question that @tarheel0910 is gonna freak out to, but maybe, just maybe, do we think Fox is at a Jamie Dixon (Pitt BB) / Andy Kennedy (Ole Miss BB) / Paul Johnson (GT FB) type of point in his tenure where he's been here so long and he's definitely had major success at times (but never the ultimate success), and maybe it's just kinda gotten stale?

Sometimes a coach/manager... it just gets stale. But I don't know. I'm just spit-balling.

I'm going to ask a question that @tarheel0910 is gonna freak out to, but maybe, just maybe, do we think Fox is at a Jamie Dixon (Pitt BB) / Andy Kennedy (Ole Miss BB) / Paul Johnson (GT FB) type of point in his tenure where he's been here so long and he's definitely had major success at times (but never the ultimate success), and maybe it's just kinda gotten stale?

Sometimes a coach/manager... it just gets stale. But I don't know. I'm just spit-balling.
Paul Johnson is a dumb comparison, because their have been far greater coaches who achieved more at GT. Fox is by far the best baseball coach to ever coach at UNC. It's not even close. Was Dean stale in 1981? He had been there forever without winning a championship. Plus who is out there that would be a good replacement? You want to get rid of the best coach in UNC baseball history you better have someone better lined up.

I might be in the minority, but I'm fine with any coach who continually has the Heels as a national contender even if they never manage to actually win it all. Our sports culture is too obsessed with championships IMHO.

Reactions: tarheel0910
I might be in the minority, but I'm fine with any coach who continually has the Heels as a national contender even if they never manage to actually win it all. Our sports culture is too obsessed with championships IMHO.
You just can't satisfy all these damn millennials.

It's because you didn't come to Greenville to cheer them on.
With 4-5 games per week at 3+ hours per game, following baseball can be a huge investment. I turned off the Sunday game after UNC fell behind 4-0 (smart choice). I'm not going to waste copious amounts of free time watching bad performances much less adding drive time to that. So there!

I'm going to ask a question that @tarheel0910 is gonna freak out to
Paul Johnson is a dumb comparison, because their have been far greater coaches who achieved more at GT. Fox is by far the best baseball coach to ever coach at UNC. It's not even close. Was Dean stale in 1981? He had been there forever without winning a championship. Plus who is out there that would be a good replacement? You want to get rid of the best coach in UNC baseball history you better have someone better lined up.
Yep, I was right.

That's not a freak out. Those are actual facts. You want to dispute what I said then go for it, otherwise GFY because I'm in a shitty mood.
I'm not disputing anything you said. I posed a question to help spark a discussion. I never said that my opinion was/is that Fox is stale.

If you don't think Bubba Cunningham is asking himself the same question about every coach, just as a thought exercise, then you're nuts.

I'm not disputing anything you said. I posed a question to help spark a discussion. I never said that my opinion was/is that Fox is stale.

If you don't think Bubba Cunningham is asking himself the same question about every coach, just as a thought exercise, then you're nuts.
Then discuss my post if that was your point.

Then discuss my post if that was your point.
Agreed Paul Johnson wasn't a great comparison. I was just trying to think of folks who have been / were at the helm for a long, long time but didn't achieve a championship. I actually still think my Jamie Dixon comparison was a pretty good one.

As for a potential replacement, I have zero idea. I don't follow hot coaching prospects for college baseball. That's Bubba's job. And again, I'm not saying I necessarily want to get rid of Fox. I'm simply stating the entire baseball program probably needs to be evaluated to ensure Bubba is cool with Fox, the state of the program, etc. Your point about Dean is a good one. He took forever to win his first.

The fact is Carolina has a unique athletic department that wins national championship(s) in damn near every sport. Baseball, like football, is one of the few sports we play that we've never won a national championship in. An athletic director as good as Bubba is constantly monitoring things to make sure we maintain our elite achievements, I'm sure.

BTW, a better comparison I should've used was Mark Richt. Great dude, man of integrity, won a ton of games every season, just like Fox. But after 15 years, it just got stale.

I'm simply stating the entire baseball program probably needs to be evaluated to ensure Bubba is cool with Fox, the state of the program, etc.
I'm sure he evaluates every sport we have every year, but I'm guessing that winning games makes him cool with Fox and the state of the program.

The fact is Carolina has a unique athletic department that wins national championship(s) in damn near every sport. Baseball, like football, is one of the few sports we play that we've never won a national championship in. An athletic director as good as Bubba is constantly monitoring things to make sure we maintain our elite achievements, I'm sure.
We are accomplishing elite achievements (at least by UNC's historical standards) in baseball. Our baseball history before Fox was basically nonexistent. We've been one of the best programs in the ACC during his tenure here. Bubba is smart enough to realize that Fox has taken us to new heights.

BTW, a better comparison I should've used was Mark Richt. Great dude, man of integrity, won a ton of games every season, just like Fox. But after 15 years, it just got stale.
I'm not so sure it's a better comparison. GA had a good football history before Mark got there. He didn't win a championship at a school who had already won one. Fox came into a program that didn't have a championship and not much of a history. If Fox starts putting out teams that don't compete at a high level, then we can get rid of him, but so far that hasn't happened. Growing stale is for coaches who haven't had sustained success and who mostly produce mediocre results like (and now I'm going to make you irritated) Fedora.

Janelle Bailey (women's BB) was named ACC freshman of the year. Paris Kea was named first team all ACC.
Was gonna provide a pic for reference, but upon review, I thought better of it. Here's Emily Sullivan from the team, though:

Sullivan_Emily_2017_143.jpg

She's not 6'4" when she's on her knees.
That's really disrespectful. But accurate ;)

Plus, I've always worked off the theory that female sluttiness is based on a bell curve of height. The really short and really tall ones are always the biggest sloots (because they're self-conscious about their height)

That's really disrespectful. But accurate ;)

Plus, I've always worked off the theory that female sluttiness is based on a bell curve of height. The really short and really tall ones are always the biggest sloots (because they're self-conscious about their height)

She has slut eyes if I've ever seen them.

And my experiences support your hypothesis.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
I'm not a scientist, but I think one girl isn't a big enough sample size. Also, the fact you had to pay them probably had an impact on your results.

I don't know about THN but I only pay them to leave.

I don't know about THN but I only pay them to leave.
I try not to pay them at all. My last conquest before my current relationship.... she drove to my apartment, she brought the alcohol, and then I told her she couldn't spend the night because the traffic would be too bad for her to manage in the morning getting back to the other side of town. So she left lol.

She was 5'11, to go with my theory.

I try not to pay them at all. My last conquest before my current relationship.... she drove to my apartment, she brought the alcohol, and then I told her she couldn't spend the night because the traffic would be too bad for her to manage in the morning getting back to the other side of town. So she left lol.

Just before she left

Reactions: uncboy10

Not one person here believes that. If you're going to make it up at least make it somewhat believable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT