ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Atlanta Braves Thread (w/ occasional Red Sox talk for Hark)

TarHeelNation11

Hall of Famer
Mar 9, 2007
Lowell, NC
I know that this probably will just turn into a back-and-forth discussion between @coolwaterunc and me, but I really do think there's good reason for the rest of y'all (@UNC71-00 and others) to buy in this year.

Coppy is continuing to make amazing moves and the Braves are right on the cusp of being a team that can compete for a wild card spot -- not win a spot, just be in the running for it -- this season, or definitely next.

The Brandon Phillips trade was purely Coppy being Coppy. We get BP for $1 million lol....yes please. It not only covers for Sean Rodriguez while he's out, it also gives Ozzie Albies the freedom to spend all year, or most of the year, in AAA Gwinnett while he recovers from injuries and continues to hone his craft.

I'm still worried about overall team speed, but the Top 6 of our lineup, with the addition of Phillips, is pretty dang solid for a team not competing for a World Series:

1. CF Inciarte
2. SS Swanson
3. 1B Freeman
4. LF Kemp
5. RF Markakis
6. 2B Phillips

Good mix of power and contact. Overall, starting pitcher is still the major question mark of this team. Lots of young, highly-touted prospects in the system, but some of them actually need to live up to their potential. It'll be fun watching Colon and Dickey (if he has anything left) pitch this season.

Oh, and SUNTRUST PARK babay!!! It looks damn good. I can see it from my apartment.

Cue me in once NC gets a baseball team. I can't bring myself to root for anything in Atlanta...actually grew up a Braves fan, but my allegiance to NC has killed it.

Cue me in once NC gets a baseball team. I can't bring myself to root for anything in Atlanta...actually grew up a Braves fan, but my allegiance to NC has killed it.
Uhm, they are totally separate things, but alright lol. N.C. ain't getting an MLB team any time soon, if ever. No need to, with the Braves and Nats dominating the market.

If it helps your rooting interest at all, the Braves are the unifying team in the region. You've got your fans, even those who are local, life-long Atlantans/Georgians who have their specific college team (be it Tennessee, Georgia, Tech, SCar, Florida, what have you) and have their specific NFL team that isn't necessarily the Falcons (Redskins, Cowboys, Bucs, what have you), but everyone in the South is a Braves fans. The Braves are the South's team. If you don't like the Braves, kindly go pull for the Red Sox and GFY

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
Uhm, they are totally separate things, but alright lol. N.C. ain't getting an MLB team any time soon, if ever. No need to, with the Braves and Nats dominating the market.

If it helps your rooting interest at all, the Braves are the unifying team in the region. You've got your fans, even those who are local, life-long Atlantans/Georgians who have their specific college team (be it Tennessee, Georgia, Tech, SCar, Florida, what have you) and have their specific NFL team that isn't necessarily the Falcons (Redskins, Cowboys, Bucs, what have you), but everyone in the South is a Braves fans. The Braves are the South's team. If you don't like the Braves, kindly go pull for the Red Sox and GFY

How do you really feel?

I refuse to root for the same team as Falcons fans. So, kindly GFY as well. ;)

Baseball is the one sport where I would just enjoy the season and pick an underdog once we get to October.

I refuse to root for the same team as Falcons fans.
Worst reason to stop following a team ever.

Anyway, I have a total man crush on Coppy. The dude just gets crap done. I love what he did with the rotation, and I especially love the last second Brandon Phillips move. Phillips isn't what he used to be obviously, but he can still really play. Hitting .291 is no joke. He's lost a step or two defensively, but his experience alone is worth so much.

I'll have more later when I can poast on sone thing that isn't a phone.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
You do realize that there are a ton of UNC fans and Panther fans that are Braves fans, right?

Worst reason to stop following a team ever.

Anyway, I have a total man crush on Coppy. The dude just gets crap done. I love what he did with the rotation, and I especially love the last second Brandon Phillips move. Phillips isn't what he used to be obviously, but he can still really play. Hitting .291 is no joke. He's lost a step or two defensively, but his experience alone is worth so much.

I'll have more later when I can poast on sone thing that isn't a phone.
Yeah, it's pretty astounding the things Coppy is getting done.

Ok then - you're talking to someone who grew up loving the Braves b/c my little league team was the "Braves" and they were on TBS every night...and my late grandfather was a huge Braves fan (being from Atlanta) and it meant a lot to him when I was a kid to order pizzas and catch a Braves game.

When I got older baseball just got more and more boring b/c there's no damn way I can follow a long, drawn-out baseball season over the summer...I use up all of my brownie points with the family for digging my heels in for football / basketball season. And then add in the fact that I have truly come to despise Falcons fans, and I completely abandoned this franchise. Every October, I have just come to enjoy rooting for whoever is the biggest underdog.

So -- instead of saying GFY again...you're talking to someone with no team. Feel free to convince me. Or ignore me...who cares. lol

Ok then - you're talking to someone who grew up loving the Braves b/c my little league team was the "Braves" and they were on TBS every night...and my late grandfather was a huge Braves fan (being from Atlanta) and it meant a lot to him when I was a kid to order pizzas and catch a Braves game.

When I got older baseball just got more and more boring b/c there's no damn way I can follow a long, drawn-out baseball season over the summer...I use up all of my brownie points with the family for digging my heels in for football / basketball season. And then add in the fact that I have truly come to despise Falcons fans, and I completely abandoned this franchise. Every October, I have just come to enjoy rooting for whoever is the biggest underdog.

So -- instead of saying GFY again...you're talking to someone with no team. Feel free to convince me. Or ignore me...who cares. lol
Again, Falcons =/= Braves. Some will consider this racist, but I'm sorry if the truth hurts. Two major things make the Falcons and the Falcons fanbase annoying:

1). There's a lot of UGA Football fans who have adopted the Falcons as their NFL team. UGA fans are one of the Top 5 most obnoxious fanbases in all of sports. They are the stereotypical "get in your face" fans who are looking to fight opposing fans every game.

2). the Falcons shamelessly market themselves as "the team to pull for you if you are a Black Atlantan." It's just shameless. Everything they do -- from their jersey overhaul, to the in-game experience, to their radio and TV commercials -- is to promote themselves as a team black people should root for. Lo and behold, guess what you get at most Falcons' games? A predominantly black crowd.

The Braves don't have either of those problems. Yes, lots of UGA folks like the Braves too, but baseball is different. It doesn't turn into the rowdy testosterone brawl that football games can.

And if you want to be re-inspired to pull for the Braves, I'll let @coolwaterunc help me out on the reasons but there are plenty:

- the Braves are truly the South's team. No other pro or college team can make that claim. The Braves can. They have the largest radio affiliate region for their games, college or pro.
- it's often cliched, but the Braves actually are a franchise that does things the "right way." They ensure their players are upstanding citizens who don't get in trouble and do positive work in the community. Generally, baseball is like this anyway, compared to other sports, but the Braves ensure they never have bad eggs.
- the Braves aren't a big-market "power" like the Yankees or Dodgers, so you can pull them and not feel dirty

Again, Falcons =/= Braves. Some will consider this racist, but I'm sorry if the truth hurts. Two major things make the Falcons and the Falcons fanbase annoying:

1). There's a lot of UGA Football fans who have adopted the Falcons as their NFL team. UGA fans are one of the Top 5 most obnoxious fanbases in all of sports. They are the stereotypical "get in your face" fans who are looking to fight opposing fans every game.

2). the Falcons shamelessly market themselves as "the team to pull for you if you are a Black Atlantan." It's just shameless. Everything they do -- from their jersey overhaul, to the in-game experience, to their radio and TV commercials -- is to promote themselves as a team black people should root for. Lo and behold, guess what you get at most Falcons' games? A predominantly black crowd.

The Braves don't have either of those problems. Yes, lots of UGA folks like the Braves too, but baseball is different. It doesn't turn into the rowdy testosterone brawl that football games can.

And if you want to be re-inspired to pull for the Braves, I'll let @coolwaterunc help me out on the reasons but there are plenty:

- the Braves are truly the South's team. No other pro or college team can make that claim. The Braves can. They have the largest radio affiliate region for their games, college or pro.
- it's often cliched, but the Braves actually are a franchise that does things the "right way." They ensure their players are upstanding citizens who don't get in trouble and do positive work in the community. Generally, baseball is like this anyway, compared to other sports, but the Braves ensure they never have bad eggs.
- the Braves aren't a big-market "power" like the Yankees or Dodgers, so you can pull them and not feel dirty

Compelling argument. The more I think about it, this isn't much different than cheering for the same Panthers team that Dook fans do.

I'm open-minded here.

I grew up a Cincy fan(Johnny Bench was my idol) so it sucks we lost Phillips. I think the Nationals and Cubs are set up to be favorites for a LONG time.

I grew up a Cincy fan(Johnny Bench was my idol) so it sucks we lost Phillips. I think the Nationals and Cubs are set up to be favorites for a LONG time.
I disagree on the Nats. They make too many risky "big money" moves. That will come home to roost if they miss on a couple.

How do you really feel?

Baseball is the one sport where I would just enjoy the season and pick an underdog once we get to October.
Y'all don't learn your lesson on paying big for pitchers lol

I disagree on the Nats. They make too many risky "big money" moves. That will come home to roost if they miss on a couple.

Y'all don't learn your lesson on paying big for pitchers lol

I agree on overpaying for pitchers. Those guys - especially the hard throwers - just have very short careers as starters. They blow their arm out in 3-4 years and then wind up salvaging their career as a bullpen guy. Just not worth the money...you're MUCH better off getting your farm system in shape to always have strong young guys coming through.

Compelling argument. The more I think about it, this isn't much different than cheering for the same Panthers team that Dook fans do.

I'm open-minded here.
I don't know if this means you're thinking "Maybe cheering for the Braves is okay after all" or "F**k the Panthers."

Nats are basement-bound within the next couple of seasons. Like THN indicated, I haven't liked their big money signings the past couple of years. Plus, the face of their franchise is an overrated headcase

Do big money signings even work in MLB? I have always felt the teams that really figure it out are the ones with the strongest farm systems that draft well...and that can determine their biggest need mid-season and address it going into the postseason (exactly like Chicago did this year with getting the closer from New York, and then turning around and letting him walk rather than overpaying him). Those are the smartest franchises IMO.

Do big money signings even work in MLB? I have always felt the teams that really figure it out are the ones with the strongest farm systems that draft well...and that can determine their biggest need mid-season and address it going into the postseason (exactly like Chicago did this year with getting the closer from New York, and then turning around and letting him walk rather than overpaying him). Those are the smartest franchises IMO.
Yes, they can work if you have enough money to survive the ones that don't work. That's why Boston can afford to overpay Chris Sale. If he doesn't pan out, they'll just go buy someone else. The Braves can't afford to do that. If we overpay someone and they don't pan out, we're financially screwed until that contract is completed.

Yes, they can work if you have enough money to survive the ones that don't work. That's why Boston can afford to overpay Chris Sale. If he doesn't pan out, they'll just go buy someone else. The Braves can't afford to do that. If we overpay someone and they don't pan out, we're financially screwed until that contract is completed.

Pardon my ignorance, but is this by choice? I'm very unfamiliar with the MLB cap rules (if there are any).

I distinctly remember the Japanese pitcher that supposedly was the greatest gift God has ever given baseball...and that guy won Boston how many WS titles? It just feels like these big splash signings never work out. How has Albert Pujols looked in LA? He was supposedly the purest power hitter in MLB history (not counting the steroid guys).

Pardon my ignorance, but is this by choice? I'm very unfamiliar with the MLB cap rules (if there are any).

I distinctly remember the Japanese pitcher that supposedly was the greatest gift God has ever given baseball...and that guy won Boston how many WS titles? It just feels like these big splash signings never work out. How has Albert Pujols looked in LA? He was supposedly the purest power hitter in MLB history (not counting the steroid guys).
Daisuke Matsuzaka (the one you're referring to) is the prime example of the media going completely nuts over the hot new thing. He was good, but with the way the media hyped him up, there was no way he could live up to expectations. Injuries ended up derailing him. I'm sure @Hark_The_Sound_2010 has a lot more about him than I do.

Pujols was over the hill by the time he went to the Angels. There was no way he was going to live up to that contract. No way. There is no cap, so as long as you're willing to pay up, you can. Giving anyone a contract of that length and for that much money is asinine, especially for someone of Pujols' age at the time.

Daisuke Matsuzaka (the one you're referring to) is the prime example of the media going completely nuts over the hot new thing. He was good, but with the way the media hyped him up, there was no way he could live up to expectations. Injuries ended up derailing him. I'm sure @Hark_The_Sound_2010 has a lot more about him than I do.

Pujols was over the hill by the time he went to the Angels. There was no way he was going to live up to that contract. No way. There is no cap, so as long as you're willing to pay up, you can. Giving anyone a contract of that length and for that much money is asinine, especially for someone of Pujols' age at the time.

Daisuke is exactly who I was referring to. I just remember something about teams having to pay money just to see the guy audition. That right there was a major red flag, to me. That screamed "There's something wrong with this guy we don't want you to know about" to me.

And in Pujols' case -- kudos to his agent. Something had to be said about the number of teams that passed on that sweepstakes.

I will maintain that the way to win consistently in MLB is through the farm system / drafting well.

No salary cap in baseball. It's truly American capitalist. The richer the team, the more high $ players they can sign. So no, it's not necessarily done "by choice" -- it's just the cold, hard truth of things. Some franchises like Boston, NYY/NYM, and LA Dodgers can afford numerous stars (and can overcome numerous bad deals), while teams like Atlanta simply cannot.

Plenty of big-name, high-dollar baseball signings do work out, and plenty do not work out. You have to have a competent GM who knows how to make moves work.

Baseball, more than any other American sport, has major inherent pitfalls for big-money deals that GMs must be wary of. There's a trend in baseball to overpay players, both in terms of money and in terms of contract length, exactly like the Pujols deal you mentioned. It's a quirky situation where teams are almost paying a player for his past success, rather than what he might give you in the future. This problem is exacerbated by the fact that MLB contracts are guaranteed, unlike NFL deals.

So yeah, you can get into a situation where you're the Angels and you decide "hey, we want Albert Pujols" and you go out and get him. The good news: Yep, you got Albert Pujols and he's still performing for you in the here and now. The bad news: you signed him for 847 seasons and you'll still be paying him through 2021 when he's 41 years old.... oh and you'll be paying him $30M that year.

Reactions: coolwaterunc
I will maintain that the way to win consistently in MLB is through the farm system / drafting well.
Agreed completely. However, if there is someone out there via free agency or trade that can get your team over the hump, then by all means, pull the trigger just as long as it doesn't completely handcuff your organization.

Agreed completely. However, if there is someone out there via free agency or trade that can get your team over the hump, then by all means, pull the trigger just as long as it doesn't completely handcuff your organization.
Yep, ideally you fight the war on three fronts:

1. You draft well....keeping your farm system as stocked as possible. This is the one thing you can completely control.
2. You make "off the radar" moves to continuously acquire prospects for your farm system and, ideally, your #'s 19-25 guys on your MLB roster.
3. You splash the cash for the 1-2 free agents that transform your team from a Wild Card spot to a World Series berth.

Way too many teams, especially the big-money teams, resort to #3 too much, and almost completely fail to cultivate a farm system.

No salary cap in baseball. It's truly American capitalist. The richer the team, the more high $ players they can sign. So no, it's not necessarily done "by choice" -- it's just the cold, hard truth of things. Some franchises like Boston, NYY/NYM, and LA Dodgers can afford numerous stars (and can overcome numerous bad deals), while teams like Atlanta simply cannot.

Plenty of big-name, high-dollar baseball signings do work out, and plenty do not work out. You have to have a competent GM who knows how to make moves work.

Baseball, more than any other American sport, has major inherent pitfalls for big-money deals that GMs must be wary of. There's a trend in baseball to overpay players, both in terms of money and in terms of contract length, exactly like the Pujols deal you mentioned. It's a quirky situation where teams are almost paying a player for his past success, rather than what he might give you in the future. This problem is exacerbated by the fact that MLB contracts are guaranteed, unlike NFL deals.

So yeah, you can get into a situation where you're the Angels and you decide "hey, we want Albert Pujols" and you go out and get him. The good news: Yep, you got Albert Pujols and he's still performing for you in the here and now. The bad news: you signed him for 847 seasons and you'll still be paying him through 2021 when he's 41 years old.... oh and you'll be paying him $30M that year.

Granted I haven't followed MLB anywhere near the way I used to b/c of family obligations, I've tried to pay some attention...I am pretty sure the upper management doesn't mind making those bad deals b/c of the increased ticket sales and raising the concession prices...not to mention the additional TV revenue b/c those big ticket players get you on ESPN Sunday Night, for example. I'm sure at the end of the day, they hedge their bets and don't really lose anything financially. The fans suffer, unfortunately.

Growing up, I did always like the way the Braves did it the "right way" and I always knocked on New York for trying to buy their titles.

But like I mentioned earlier -- the Cubs example this past year is a perfect example of how to run the franchise IMO. They built the team from the ground up...realized they needed a closer, traded for the Yankees closer...got what they needed out of him, but then refused to overpay to keep him (or Fowler, for that matter). Let 'em walk...you're better off rolling the dice with your farm system and plugging again next season where needed.

Granted I haven't followed MLB anywhere near the way I used to b/c of family obligations, I've tried to pay some attention...I am pretty sure the upper management doesn't mind making those bad deals b/c of the increased ticket sales and raising the concession prices...not to mention the additional TV revenue b/c those big ticket players get you on ESPN Sunday Night, for example. I'm sure at the end of the day, they hedge their bets and don't really lose anything financially. The fans suffer, unfortunately.

Growing up, I did always like the way the Braves did it the "right way" and I always knocked on New York for trying to buy their titles.

But like I mentioned earlier -- the Cubs example this past year is a perfect example of how to run the franchise IMO. They built the team from the ground up...realized they needed a closer, traded for the Yankees closer...got what they needed out of him, but then refused to overpay to keep him (or Fowler, for that matter). Let 'em walk...you're better off rolling the dice with your farm system and plugging again next season where needed.
To your first point.... MLB clubs absolutely can and do lose money on stupid deals like that. Giving a 32-year-old Pujols a back-loaded ten-year contract is stupid, no matter how you slice it. That's a huge financial commitment over a large swatch of time.

As for the Cubs, yes, they rebuilt their farm system and used their suckitude to have high draft picks. Did they get very lucky that they just so happened to have the #2 pick in 2013 when Kris Bryant, a potential generational player, was available? Yes. Did they also get lucky that Kyle Schwarber (2014 draft first round pick) panned out so quickly? Yes.

So yes, the Cubs built through the draft, but they also spent big as well. And not just on a closer. They went 4 years, $56 on 2B Ben Zobrist (not a small amount of money. The Braves aren't paying anyone that much currently I don't believe). They also signed SP John Lackey to a 2-year deal for $32 million. Again, that's big money. Furthermore, they signed Jason Heyward to an 8-year, $184 million contract. And he's basically been a bust for them. Most MLB franchises, aside from a select few, could never, ever survive paying someone that much and not having him be so productive that he carries your team.

So yeah. I don't mean to sound salty about what the Cubs did. But the narrative that Theo Epstein built them purely through the draft is a bit disingenuous. They drafted well, but also and most importantly, have $$$$$$ to keep those players under contract as well as go out and get stud pitchers and players to fill in the gaps. Did they make shrewd moves that worked out? Absolutely. They got Jake Arrieta for peanuts from the Orioles... BUT, when he blew up, they had/have the resources to G him up and keep him on the roster.

Reactions: Blue2010
Will be interesting to see what The Indians do this year with the expectations there this year now. (Oh sorry this is an Atlanta and Boston thread.... Lol

The only good thing for me as far as the braves are concerned, is that them building a new park means I get to see Metallica in concert this year.

Should have got them when they went on sale. They had some for less than 60 at one point.
I'd only go to see Avenged. I like Volbeat well enough, but basically would only be interested in seeing their song "Counting." I like Metallica because who doesn't, but still $60 would be too much for that show.

I saw Avenged and Coheed and Cambria at Lakewood for $30 back in like 2008. I also saw Avenged in a tinier venue for like $20 before that. A concert at a huge stadium would suck. When you get used to seeing bands perform in the Masquerade, Tabernacle, and Center Stage, it's really hard to go see them at Phillips Arena, Lakewood, or SunTrust Park. Way too big of an area.

Now for the love of God, @coolwaterunc please talk Braves with me.

I'd only go to see Avenged. I like Volbeat well enough, but basically would only be interested in seeing their song "Counting." I like Metallica because who doesn't, but still $60 would be too much for that show.

I saw Avenged and Coheed and Cambria at Lakewood for $30 back in like 2008. I also saw Avenged in a tinier venue for like $20 before that. A concert at a huge stadium would suck. When you get used to seeing bands perform in the Masquerade, Tabernacle, and Center Stage, it's really hard to go see them at Phillips Arena, Lakewood, or SunTrust Park. Way too big of an area.

Now for the love of God, @coolwaterunc please talk Braves with me.
I like smaller settings too, but once a band blows up they very rarely play somewhere small. Got to take what you can get.

I like smaller settings too, but once a band blows up they very rarely play somewhere small. Got to take what you can get.
That's kinda the thing though. Once they do blow up, I'll stop seeing them live. It isn't me trying to be a hipster and say "oh, well they're TOO popular now," it's just me hating shows in big arenas. I'll still listen to said band as much or as little as I always do, I'll just no longer see them live.

The only exception would be if I came across a band well after they blew up and had never seen them. Then maybe I'd consider splurging for a big arena show.

Speak of the devil(s), Coppy was on the radio this morning talking about how the Braves' rebuild compares to the Cub's rebuild....or doesn't compare, to be more accurate.

He basically said [I'm paraphrasing] "People ask me a lot if we are the Cubs and are situation is like the Cubs. My answer is that no, we're really not like the Cubs. For one thing, they had five years to complete their rebuild, we've only had two. Also, they have about 3x as much money as we do. So the situation's really aren't that similar."

Which goes back to my long poast yesterday. Yes, the Cubs' front office did great things with draft picks that were home runs (Bryant and Schwarber), but they had the resources$$$ to tie those guys down, as well as go out and pay for veteran pitching.

In the Braves situation, we have to pretty much acquire all our talent through the farm system. We can't go out and splash the cash on a long-term deal(s) for free agents.

I really commend those of you that are Braves fans. As THN has alluded to, they (and about 20+ other franchises) are playing with the deck stacked against them - due to the YUGE disparity in payrolls. My team is top 3 in the league in payroll, and I still can't follow intensely throughout the season. I'll be all into it for the first month of the season - but then I'll have to check out until August to see if the team is going to make a run, or flame out in embarrassment. Teams like the Red Sox can overpay Price, realize he's never going to win a postseason game, and then go out the following offseason and make a deal to get another big name that they'll eventually need to pay. Granted, the good farm system is self-built and allowed them to trade Moncada, but still.

I think what the Indians are doing is the most impressive. They're sitting right behind the cofavorites (Cubs and Red Sox) in terms of odds to win the world series, and they're doing it with a payroll that is #22 in the league and roughly half of the Sox and Cubs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT