ADVERTISEMENT

3 away games - thoughts

Likely EC and Jwash. I'd like to think Seth could make league somewhere but he would have a better chance as a pg and not a 2 but I do like all 3 of them going forward.
If Joel berry couldn’t make it in the league then EC better learn how to shoot. Only players that can’t shoot in the league are usually 6 8” plus and can defend like no bodies business. Even then they are few and far between. While I think Joel maybe could have landed in a spot for a backup, he was still small and got pushed around a lot against those guys.

I doubt if he couldn't shoot he would have not been the top rated pg in the class and UNC's top target. Time will tell hoss.
I’ll admit I use the term can’t shoot loosely lol. I think he’ll be fine but I just don’t see him passing JB. Would love to be wrong for sure.

Reactions: al would
I guess I look at who teams have played, beaten and lost to. Im really optimistic with this team because we’ve beaten all the teams we should have and had a chance with everyone else. UConn was clearly better imo but we could have beaten ky and vill. We should win these next three while looking at the competition we’ve played vs who they’ve played.
We're going to be underdogs at Clemson, almost surely. So I'm finding it tough to think we "should" win that won. Could we? Absolutely. But probably at best it's a coin flip.

Heels travel for the next 3: Pitt, Clemson, State….What would you guys like to see?

For me:

1. Blowout Pitt from the get-go…. No f-n around until the game is pretty much in hand…. Then Hubert should give extended runs to the bench.
2. The return of dominant Mando… big man needs to eat.
3. Backcourt in synch - EC and RJ have given glimpses of how well they can work together.
4. More multiple defences - loved the press and traps the other night.
5. A win at clumpson would be nice… might be difficult.
6. Stomp the wuffies of course.

3-0 isn’t too much to ask for is it?
LittleJohn is never easy…Even when Clemson is bad they have always gave us problems there…Clemson has a good team this year…

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Trimble has absolutely stepped up! For Carolina to win at Clemson on Saturday and put it's self in position for a top 3 seed......Eliott Cadeau must take that next step in his progression.
He is still the key to how high our ceiling is. He must start being a threat on offense and also start getting our bigs easier shots on a more consistent basis.

Trimble has absolutely stepped up! For Carolina to win at Clemson on Saturday and put it's self in position for a top 3 seed......Eliott Cadeau must take that next step in his progression.
He is still the key to how high our ceiling is. He must start being a threat on offense and also start getting our bigs easier shots on a more consistent basis.
Tw I’m optimistic by nature but I’m beginning to wonder if it will happen this year. We were far and away a better team with Seth. EC better bow up.

Tw I’m optimistic by nature but I’m beginning to wonder if it will happen this year. We were far and away a better team with Seth. EC better bow up.
Right now you are absolutely right. We need them both to be where we want to be.

Our D shut down and frustrated Mr. Carrington and their best bully, Hinton! Our team fought until the last minute and our bench out-coached theirs! Bacot played well despite being doubled by 2 7 footers all night! I say, Mission Accomplished and on to the next victim!

Remember this one....

Exactly…That UNC team was loaded…I would rather play in HIS than Little John…

Hell it was tough when Dean was the Coach…I remember growing up watching those games on TV in Little John…The student section was crazy they were almost on the floor under the basket….

Our D shut down and frustrated Mr. Carrington and their best bully, Hinton! Our team fought until the last minute and our bench out-coached theirs! Bacot played well despite being doubled by 2 7 footers all night! I say, Mission Accomplished and on to the next victim!
Pitt's also a really limited offensive team. Despite Hinson's season, they weren't a really good offensive team.

Clemson will be a really good test for us. We'll get to see if this stretch of good defensive teams is real or more a result of facing teams that are limited offensively.

I came away impressed with Carrington. Especially for a kid who doesn't turn 19 until July. But he's definitely been figured out since Pitt has played some real competition.

• Sad
EC will be fine, he really should be a high school senior. Instead of comparing to Joel we should compare to Cole Anthony.

Seth is showing his worth, a better Dexter Strickland, and I like Dex game to, and I think Strickland may have gotten a shot in the league (?).

Surprising that SDung was impressed by one of the losers and has taken time to detract from anything positive UNC might have done...hmmmm. Carrington was being talked about as a potential Freshman of the Year and Hinson has bullied us before and both were clearly frustrated by our D, but go ahead and carry on with your long game!

EC will be fine, he really should be a high school senior. Instead of comparing to Joel we should compare to Cole Anthony.

Seth is showing his worth, a better Dexter Strickland, and I like Dex game to, and I think Strickland may have gotten a shot in the league (?).
Or you could compare him to someone his size and ability like JB. I’m not a Cole fan but he’s in a league ahead of JB and EC imo.

Reactions: al would
Or you could compare him to someone his size and ability like JB. I’m not a Cole fan but he’s in a league ahead of JB and EC imo.
magic 8 ball sezz .. "could be" ... but doesn't have EC's pg mentality but he sure is quick !!

Reactions: alabamaheel

Dexter before the knee injury I can see some of but the way he defends and the way he does not look for his own offense is for me more akin to Kenny Williams but Seth brings much more athletism. I do see more similar to Dex in ball handling, that dribble is a little to high still. I think part of my hesitation to see more Dexter in Seth's game is that knee injury kind of stunted Dex's progress, never felt he played with that crazy athletism after he got hurt.

Miami's guards put a lot of ball pressure on Clemson's ball handlers, if we can harass them to a similar extent it will be huge.

Hall also had some foul issues, but the on ball dee up top was what stood out for me.

Was looking at some of the predictive web sights and "realtimerpi.com" must be run by a dookie or uk fan. They have us ranked 52 with a strength of schedule rating of 42. According to their predictive math Heels pretty much go .500 from here out, winning all the home games and losing all the road ones.

Really don't see us finishing the 19-12 they have projected.

Pitt's also a really limited offensive team. Despite Hinson's season, they weren't a really good offensive team.

Clemson will be a really good test for us. We'll get to see if this stretch of good defensive teams is real or more a result of facing teams that are limited offensively.

I came away impressed with Carrington. Especially for a kid who doesn't turn 19 until July. But he's definitely been figured out since Pitt has played some real competition.
You sure you have enough "sample size" to support that? LOL I would put Pitt right about where Clemson is, not easy per say but if we have our game rolling is not within 20pts of us but of course if we have an off night shooting, like we had vs Pitt, they could beat us if we don't defend hard and physical.

You sure you have enough "sample size" to support that? LOL I would put Pitt right about where Clemson is, not easy per say but if we have our game rolling is not within 20pts of us but of course if we have an off night shooting, like we had vs Pitt, they could beat us if we don't defend hard and physical.
I know it wasn't a serious comment, but 13-14 games for Clemson and Pitt, these teams aren't similar. Where you have them ranked in the ACC, I don't really care. For me, I think certain types of teams will give UNC more problems this year than others. I think teams need to be able to score and score efficiently to beat UNC. UNC is less likely to lose to defensive-oriented teams who struggle more to score IMO.

Pitt's a very average 3PT shooting team, yet their 3PT rate is in the 85th percentile in the country. It is probably sign of a flawed offense (like ours last year). It's a fairly mediocre 3PT shooting team that's dependent on 3PT production to score.

UNC has more ways to score than Clemson. Clemson absolutely doesn't get to the free-throw line. We get there a lot and make them. But IMO, this is a better test for our team. I personally want to see teams like Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Pitt in our bracket in March. Teams like Clemson will be the test.

Also, I'm not saying anything all that controversial. We've had a great 3 game defensive stretch against 3 limited offenses. This game will help indicate if those defensive strides are real as a result of actually getting better defensively. Or if it's more dependent on what kind of opponent we're playing.

Adj off effAdj def eff3PT%2PT%FT%3PT Rate
Pitt109.9 (76th)95.4 (32nd)33.7% (157th)51.6% (133rd)66.6% (299th)44.5 (41st)
Clemson118.9 (9th)97.6 (60th)39.0% (13th)56.2% (29th)75.7% (45th)40.6 (106th)

Was looking at some of the predictive web sights and "realtimerpi.com" must be run by a dookie or uk fan. They have us ranked 52 with a strength of schedule rating of 42. According to their predictive math Heels pretty much go .500 from here out, winning all the home games and losing all the road ones.

Really don't see us finishing the 19-12 they have projected.
RealtimeRPI has UNC's current record at 8-3. So probably not a serious metrics-based site if they can't keep current with the CBB schedule and results.

BartTorvik has UNC's projected regular season record 25-6 (17-3)
Haslametrics has UNC's projected regular season record 26-5 (18-2)

Damn! BartTorvik must be run by an anti-UNC fan since they project one more loss than Haslametrics!

Trimble has absolutely stepped up! For Carolina to win at Clemson on Saturday and put it's self in position for a top 3 seed.
I've been saying for weeks Seth is a big plus on both sides of the ball but to get him more minutes who gets fewer ???????

I sincerely hope that more peeps keep thinking that bully ball will beat us!

Please, you big, strong,monsters-don't throw us into that Briar Patch! We are pure finesse and will wilt if you bully us!

I think the road trip answered some big questions:
  • Can we win when RJ is not scoring at a high rate? Yes
  • Can we win when Bacot does not have an A game? Yes
  • Can we win when RJ AND Bacot do not have their A game? yes
  • Do we have the defense to hang with good teams? Yes
  • Has Hubert developed as HC? Yes
sure there are more things we learned...

Does Burns have an eating disorder-yes
Does Moo suck-yes
Are Moo fans disrespectful-yes
Is it really a rivalry-NO!

Reactions: Heels5150
I’ll admit I use the term can’t shoot loosely lol. I think he’ll be fine but I just don’t see him passing JB. Would love to be wrong for sure.
LOL, you may have used the term "loosely" loosely! LOL

Cadeau is not a shooter, Cadeau is a scorer, there is a difference, actually there is a big difference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT