ADVERTISEMENT

3 away games - thoughts

Ozheelfan

Hall of Famer
Dec 7, 2004
Heels travel for the next 3: Pitt, Clemson, State….What would you guys like to see?

For me:

1. Blowout Pitt from the get-go…. No f-n around until the game is pretty much in hand…. Then Hubert should give extended runs to the bench.
2. The return of dominant Mando… big man needs to eat.
3. Backcourt in synch - EC and RJ have given glimpses of how well they can work together.
4. More multiple defences - loved the press and traps the other night.
5. A win at clumpson would be nice… might be difficult.
6. Stomp the wuffies of course.

3-0 isn’t too much to ask for is it?

We should all expect 3-0, but realistically 2-1 is more likely. We always seem to throw a clunker at Pitt but hopefully this year is different.

Reactions: Ozheelfan
Heels travel for the next 3: Pitt, Clemson, State….What would you guys like to see?

For me:

1. Blowout Pitt from the get-go…. No f-n around until the game is pretty much in hand…. Then Hubert should give extended runs to the bench.
3. Backcourt in synch - EC and RJ have given glimpses of how well they can work together.

I don't know that I would consider us the under dawg for any of those 3 games nor am I ready to say any of the 3 are as hard to beat as either Tenn or Okey. BUT ALL 3 can beat us if they catch us on that off night. Frankly, it seems every season we drop a game or 2 in conference that we in no way should have lost so I expect that yet again to happen. I am expecting 2-1 but hoping for a sweep!

Reactions: Ozheelfan

For me:

Clemmy is likely to be a handful. They have size, experience and several guys who are deep threats, and their transfer PG (from Cuse) has given them another dimension. Now, they're fully capable of "clemsoning" in any given game, but I'm sure they and their crowd will be jacked for us, as usual.

Pitt is dangerous and gave us fits last season with their awkward style and tempo, but then, our disjointed style played right into their hands, TBH. This time *HOPEFULLY* we will come in and assert OUR current style and tempo, and if so, I like our chances.

And of course, our old "friends" --- since Roy reinstilled the state-hate, we seem to come in with a psychological advantage, even over there, but who lknows if the current mercenary personnel will feel that. I'm sure they'll play with a chip-on-the-shoulder, and of course the fans will be ripe with their usual vileness.

Bottom line is none of these 3 games are assumed wins, but hey, let's get our road-cred on and at least win 2.

Clemson is darn sure a handful, we all know about PJ Hall, he has now been at Clemson longer than Bohiem coached Syracuse, hasn't he? LOL Pretty sure Clemson fans wonder if Bacot has a life time contract to play for UNC! LOL

Girard, the kid from the cuse, don't give him an open look, just don't. But he is not really much of a defender and gives us a better size matchup especially if RJ picks him up.

I believe Hubert is 0-3 vs Pitt, and the Panthers have bullied us (as is their M.O.) I'm hoping some of our new guys that have an "edge" - Harrison and Cormac - will inspire the whole team to bully right back.

I'd love to see us sweep all 3 of course, but if we go 2-1 then prefer to beat Pitt and moo.

Last edited:
I believe Hubert is 0-3 vs Pitt, and the Panthers have bullied us (as is there M.O.) I'm hoping some of our new guys that have an "edge" - Harrison and Cormac - will inspire the whole team to bully right back.

I'd love to see us sweep all 3 of course, but if we go 2-1 then prefer to beat Pitt and moo.
^ Strong point on Pitt. That 'edge" may well prove valuable up there.

Also, as long as he doesn't get hit with phantom calls by a bad crew, Mando should be able to do some damage.

I believe Hubert is 0-3 vs Pitt, and the Panthers have bullied us (as is there M.O.) I'm hoping some of our new guys that have an "edge" - Harrison and Cormac - will inspire the whole team to bully right back.

If there ever is an upside to a loss, I think us figuring out how to deal with bully-ball might be a positive from the Villanova game.

I don't see this year's team shying away from any fight!

If there ever is an upside to a loss, I think us figuring out how to deal with bully-ball might be a positive from the Villanova game.

I don't see this year's team shying away from any fight!
...and on the tactical end, I'm not interested in playing their bumper-pool ball --- hit em with Scrambles and hit em with waves of transition.

I’m intrigued at the Pitt game. It’s a chance for Cadeau to make a statement against Carton Carrington, who has been the best freshman PG in the ACC. Carrington’s efficiency has taken a hit the last 10 games. I’ll be interested to see how Cadeau plays in that one. I think he can make a statement.

But still a game-to-game approach for me. There’s going to be a game where RJ is less efficient. How do we respond to that? Will Bacot ever have a dominant complete game again? Those probably my 2 focuses now.

Biggest thing is I hope they stay healthy.

I'm with the majority here so far hoping for 2 out of 3, and all 3 would be great, and doable. Probably will be underdogs at Clemson, but favorites in the other 2. 3 straight road conference games is a challenge, Hall is a very tough matchup for us and most everyone.

Gotta get up early on Pitt, keep on them, do not let their past success start to infuse confidence in this one. They do not strike me as having a ton of firepower, if we are defensively sound, hopefully we stiffle them.

..and on the tactical end, I'm not interested in playing their bumper-pool ball --- hit em with Scrambles and hit em with waves of transition.
And after doing a cursory review of their stats it doesn't look like their guards present a great defensive problem size wise but they do have some interior size that mando struggles with so transition ball makes good sense, and maybe Jwash could cause problems, if he's played, and that brings their bigs out to open up the lane a bit so RJ/EC?Seth can get in the lane. I've yet to see Pitt play this year but if they're anything like past Pitt teams it will be physical and ugly. #homecourt

And after doing a cursory review of their stats it doesn't look like their guards present a great defensive problem size wise but they do have some interior size that mando struggles with so transition ball makes good sense, and maybe Jwash could cause problems, if he's played, and that brings their bigs out to open up the lane a bit so RJ/EC?Seth can get in the lane. I've yet to see Pitt play this year but if they're anything like past Pitt teams it will be physical and ugly. #homecourt
I've only watched them in bits and pieces. The inside stuff will be very zebra dependent, but I think Mando can school them if he gets the latitude. However, what we cannot do is allow them to ugly up things into a half-court slugfest. Tempo tempo tempo.

We should all expect 3-0, but realistically 2-1 is more likely. We always seem to throw a clunker at Pitt but hopefully this year is different.
No one should be expecting all three. We've been good but not incredible, and these are all solid teams (Clem is pretty good even). It's hard to win on the road, as we saw with teams like UVA and Arizona in the last few days.

Bartorvik has the Pitt game as a toss up due to it being away, giving us a 51% chance of winning. Clem we have only a 34% chance, and 62% at State. Multiply those and we have only an 11% chance at winning all three (1 in 9 odds). It's possible but unlikely. 2-1 and 1-2 are both about equally likely outcomes. Personally I'd be thrilled with 2-1.

Reactions: Agsmith9
No one should be expecting all three. We've been good but not incredible, and these are all solid teams (Clem is pretty good even). It's hard to win on the road, as we saw with teams like UVA and Arizona in the last few days.

Bartorvik has the Pitt game as a toss up due to it being away, giving us a 51% chance of winning. Clem we have only a 34% chance, and 62% at State. Multiply those and we have only an 11% chance at winning all three (1 in 9 odds). It's possible but unlikely. 2-1 and 1-2 are both about equally likely outcomes. Personally I'd be thrilled with 2-1.

So you're saying there's a chance!!! 🤣

I expect all three. I look at who all three of those have played and it’s anemic. Will it happen? Maybe maybe not, but these three aren’t world beaters. If we lose to Pitt it’s due to coaching and strategy. Clemson could give a good fight due to a couple guys, but we should have a couple clear advantages as well. Nc st, just play. lol

Don't have to go 3-0, but should go 3-0 even on the road. We have already taken some L's this year, can't afford to get more against lesser opponents.

Reactions: alabamaheel
Don't have to go 3-0, but should go 3-0 even on the road. We have already taken some L's this year, can't afford to get more against lesser opponents.
C'mon now. It's conference play.
#4 AZ just got their asses HANDED to them at Stanford tonight.
We just need to be improving and progressing toward the ultimate goal.

Last edited:
C'mon now. It's conference play.
#4 AZ just got their asses HANDED to them at Stanford tonight.
We just need to be improving and progressing toward the ultimate goal.
AZ last title appearance was when? UNC was two years ago. My point would be we are playing for what other blue bloods are playing for, to be number 1.

I am sure we have a "few more loses ahead", but I am hoping it's against a worthy opponent, not these three teams.

I disagree. Thats a loser mentality. Expect to win all 3 games or don’t play and I’m pretty sure that’s how Hubert looks at it too. As I said, realistically we probably go 2-1 but we should expect 3-0.

Reactions: alabamaheel
I disagree. Thats a loser mentality. Expect to win all 3 games or don’t play and I’m pretty sure that’s how Hubert looks at it too. As I said, realistically we probably go 2-1 but we should expect 3-0.
Words right out of my mouth. I think people are bracing for impact. Like they know we’re gonna lose at some point. lol I’m pretty sure we’ll lose some games but heck I don’t think we should against teams not as good as us.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I think we're defining "expect" differently here. I'm talking about the odds. If expect means you think this will happen, e.g., I expect the weather to be warmer in North Carolina than Vermont tomorrow, then no, I don't expect the team to go 3-0. Anyone who does probably doesn't have a strong grasp of statistics.

You seem to use "expect" as what one hopes for, or what the team's goal should be. If that's the case, then I agree. That's not what I'm talking about though, and my words have no impact on the team, so it's definitely not a loser mentality haha. I expect us to be favored by Vegas in our remaining games save for maybe 3-4 (@Clemson, @duke, @miami, maybe @UVA) but I don't expect us to win every single game we're favored realistically. 14-6 or 13-7 would still be pretty nice ACC seasons, even if 17-3 is possible.

2-1 would be a good outcome for this team on this road trip and keep them on pace for a top ~3-4 seed in the NCAA tourney. I'd be super happy to continue on that pace (we haven't been that good for 5 years) and we're going to need a lot to go in our favor to pull off 3-0. 1-2 is much more likely than 3-0, and that'd be disappointing for me even though it's a very possible outcome.

Reactions: Agsmith9
No matter how you define it, I'm expecting 3-0.

I will only be disappointed in a loss if it is because we play lethargically or allowed ourselves to be bullied! If we fight hard, play as an organized team, and hustle for every ball in each game, I will be fine with the outcome! I think this team is building toward something special (might not culminate until next season) and I am never driven by wins/losses; instead by progress of the team, players, and coaches! I am glad we could knock the rust off prior to ACC play, congrats to the scheduler! Girard can be handled by our guards and PJ will get a hefty dose of Ingram (+ others as needed)! I want us to start fast and put our feet on the necks of both Moo and Pitt. I expect Clemson to be a slugfest and I can't wait to see us fight and claw every minute of the game! All 3 are capable of beating us and I trust our coaches will make this point very clear to the team! We will know a lot within the 1st 4 minutes tonight!

Reactions: Heels5150
I expect all three. I look at who all three of those have played and it’s anemic. Will it happen? Maybe maybe not, but these three aren’t world beaters. If we lose to Pitt it’s due to coaching and strategy. Clemson could give a good fight due to a couple guys, but we should have a couple clear advantages as well. Nc st, just play. lol
Pitt has a future nba player in carrington. Do we?

Won't lie. Tonight scares the heck out of me. UNC has not played well up there and Capel's bully ball style of play seems to get into Hubert's head. RJ is not physically built to carry a team over a season and he has been the only consistent player. Bacot has to get out his funk and play like the AA many predicted him to be, and he cannot let Pitt get under his skin and just lower his head and try to bulldoze over somebody.

Ryan and Ingram need to start playing with consistency and Cadeau has to learn to stay on the court. I think Washington and Trimble off the bench will be key - if the Heels can bring some subs and not lose so much offensively the future looks a lot brighter. I really hoped at this point Carolina would have more reliable depth and continued to rely on the starters for 90%+ of minutes and points. That iron man crap was fool's gold , and while it was awesome for a six game stretch that dog won't hunt over an entire season.

Words right out of my mouth. I think people are bracing for impact. Like they know we’re gonna lose at some point. lol I’m pretty sure we’ll lose some games but heck I don’t think we should against teams not as good as us.
The players and staff should 100% believe they can run this set of games, it does not matter what we fans think. I mean if you are a fan, are you going to lay out your money for a bet and go with your heart or your head? LOL Winning all 3 is my heart, my head says we always drop a game or 2 in conference play that we shouldn't and we all know one of those games is coming and it could very well come in one of these 3 upcoming games.

Reactions: gauchoheel
Won't lie. Tonight scares the heck out of me. UNC has not played well up there and Capel's bully ball style of play seems to get into Hubert's head. RJ is not physically built to carry a team over a season and he has been the only consistent player. Bacot has to get out his funk and play like the AA many predicted him to be, and he cannot let Pitt get under his skin and just lower his head and try to bulldoze over somebody.

Ryan and Ingram need to start playing with consistency and Cadeau has to learn to stay on the court. I think Washington and Trimble off the bench will be key - if the Heels can bring some subs and not lose so much offensively the future looks a lot brighter. I really hoped at this point Carolina would have more reliable depth and continued to rely on the starters for 90%+ of minutes and points. That iron man crap was fool's gold , and while it was awesome for a six game stretch that dog won't hunt over an entire season.
Agreed… and if there ever was a game for Withers to use his size and strength, this is it. The Heels need him to play BIG tonight.

The players and staff should 100% believe they can run this set of games, it does not matter what we fans think. I mean if you are a fan, are you going to lay out your money for a bet and go with your heart or your head? LOL Winning all 3 is my heart, my head says we always drop a game or 2 in conference play that we shouldn't and we all know one of those games is coming and it could very well come in one of these 3 upcoming games.
No doubt and I think that’s how most people make since of going 2-1 but I don’t expect to lose to any of those three.

I would like to see someone try to Bully Ryan, Ingram, RJ, Seth, Bacot, Withers, EC etc. While RJ/EC might get beasted occasionally by a bigger guard on D, they have never had an issue with contact on O. This team is experienced, strong, and has tremendous grit! A bully better bring his A game on O because the tactic alone just means you lose and look bad! What USED to happen doesn't apply to this team and maybe we ought to realize this. I want peeps to think we can be bullied now!

Pitt has a future nba player in carrington. Do we?
Likely EC and Jwash. I'd like to think Seth could make league somewhere but he would have a better chance as a pg and not a 2 but I do like all 3 of them going forward.

Reactions: thompsjj
Maybe in Ingram but I wish we could just go off of nba talent. lol we should have 20 chips if that were the case. Why have they lost those games this year? All those teams have more nba talent?
Fair enough. I’m just saying that if we lose, it might not just be bc of coaching and strategy, given that Carrington is a next level player.

Fair enough. I’m just saying that if we lose, it might not just be bc of coaching and strategy, given that Carrington is a next level player.
I guess I look at who teams have played, beaten and lost to. Im really optimistic with this team because we’ve beaten all the teams we should have and had a chance with everyone else. UConn was clearly better imo but we could have beaten ky and vill. We should win these next three while looking at the competition we’ve played vs who they’ve played.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT