ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina vs App St. Gamethread

Very frustrating but reality is that Fedora left
This team in shambles with quality players in spots but certainly not typical power 5 depth due to bad recruiting the last few years. We can’t seem to consistently block a soul on the offensive line for whatever reason. We put together good drives and good protection and then it just disappears for 3-4 drives, that’s killing us. We also are struggling in maintaining the edge on defense. Our ends get pinned down too much, and opposing lineman are getting to our backers with consistency in the run game which isn’t a recipe for success. All that to say, the kids are competing hard which is what you want to see in year 1.

Reactions: Archer2
His biggest impact will be off the field stuff. I wasn't expecting to make a bowl this year, so I'm not going to be too upset unless we don't win another game.

That’s not good enough though. His recruiting prowess needs to put more talent on the field and win games. Those sell outs and the new “culture” will dry up quick if we don’t win football games.

He needs to embrace the CEO role and focus on game management and recruiting. He did a good job finding a defensive coordinator that can build a legit D. I have less confidence in Longo at the moment.

I get that we’ve had some critical injuries. This year isn’t going to be pretty at times and there’s no reason to pin that on Mack. But the staff has to find a way to not lose to a school that’s named after a damn hiking trail.

Does the bar get any lower??? lol As long as they beat Mercer, you're good?
What exactly were you expecting after the last two years. Did you actually think there was a coach who could come in and immediately turn us around?

Off the field stuff?
Recruiting, fan support, fundraising, making sure high school coaches don't hate us, etc. Those are the foundation of the house. We can't be a top 25 team without that stuff.

I'll give some credit that the team has been "in every game" so far. They are still competing, right until the last second.

Next week, they won't have that, of course.

Reactions: uncfootball-
That’s not good enough though. His recruiting prowess needs to put more talent on the field and win games. Those sell outs and the new “culture” will dry up quick if we don’t win football games.

He needs to embrace the CEO role and focus on game management and recruiting. He did a good job finding a defensive coordinator that can build a legit D. I have less confidence in Longo at the moment.

I get that we’ve had some critical injuries. This year isn’t going to be pretty at times and there’s no reason to pin that on Mack. But the staff has to find a way to not lose to a school that’s named after a damn hiking trail.
See my response to strum

If we hang on to the guys who have committed so far, and the injured guys take redshirts and come back, then we will have a lot more talent and depth next year. Next year could realistically be an 8 or 9 win season with a Coastal title.

But realistically, it takes at least 2-3 recruiting classes full of 4 and 5 star players to build a real contender. The last two years of Mack’s tenure are what he is really building towards

Reactions: plm
See my response to strum

Don’t disagree at all. I was kind of thinking of recruiting as being an on the field type of thing since that’s where the talent ends up. But the recruiting process itself is obviously an off the field thing. It’s absolutelt crucial that we lock in a monster class for 2021 and finish the 2020 cycle strong.

If we hang on to the guys who have committed so far, and the injured guys take redshirts and come back, then we will have a lot more talent and depth next year. Next year could realistically be an 8 or 9 win season with a Coastal title.

But realistically, it takes at least 2-3 recruiting classes full of 4 and 5 star players to build a real contender. The last two years of Mack’s tenure are what he is really building towards
Hopefully Mack can do it in about 5 years this time, not 10. And then when he retires we don't "Torbush" ourselves again.

And this is basically what everyone was saying a month ago. Those first two wins gave us some unrealistic expectations. It sucks to come back to earth, but here we are.

What exactly were you expecting after the last two years. Did you actually think there was a coach who could come in and immediately turn us around?
I'm sure there is a coach out there that could. I'm not saying that Brown is a total bust, but I do not think he's going to have much impact. I certainly expect more than 3 wins this year.

You can't get recruits of you cannot win games. You cannot get fan support if you cannot win games... especially a game like today. I wasn't aware that high school coaches hated UNC.

I'm sure there is a coach out there that could. I'm not saying that Brown is a total bust, but I do not think he's going to have much impact. I certainly expect more than 3 wins this year.

You can't get recruits of you cannot win games. You cannot get fan support if you cannot win games... especially a game like today. I wasn't aware that high school coaches hated UNC.
They didn't like Fedora and he had burned some bridges. You need those coaches to push these recruits to at least consider your school. We weren't getting that as much anymore.

And this is basically what everyone was saying a month ago. Those first two wins gave us some unrealistic expectations. It sucks to come back to earth, but here we are.

If he continues to recruit like he has since he got here then we will be the second most talented team in the ACC in three years. Howell’s junior and senior year could be special.

That being said idk how Mack can keep it up if we have a poor record this year. He could sell a blank slate this year. But the truth is that committing to a school is a prestige thing. The most prestigious schools are the ones that guys are lining up to play for. Nobody wants to tell their friends that they’re committing to a team that went 5-7 last year because the coach is building something special. At the end of the day these are 18 year old kids.

You’re not wrong. But with better play calling and a healthy polino, we probably should be 4-0. If this team had found a way to win 8 games this year then it would’ve sped up the turnaround by paying dividends in recruiting.

Reactions: franklin street
If he continues to recruit like he has since he got here then we will be the second most talented team in the ACC in three years. Howell’s junior and senior year could be special.

That being said idk how Mack can keep it up if we have a poor record this year. He could sell a blank slate this year. But the truth is that committing to a school is a prestige thing. The most prestigious schools are the ones that guys are lining up to play for. Nobody wants to tell their friends that they’re committing to a team that went 5-7 last year because the coach is building something special. At the end of the day these are 18 year old kids.
Obviously wins help, but Mack is pretty good at recruiting. Remember, he was 1-10 his first two years here. He still got recruits to come. He's got the biggest piece already with Howell. I think he can get this thing turned around and have us in the hunt for the division by year three and have us around 10 wins in year 4-5. That's about the best you can ask for at UNC.

Seems like the Heels dont go into the game with a plan. It's like they say lets wing it the first half then we will make adjustments at half time.

Obviously wins help, but Mack is pretty good at recruiting. Remember, he was 1-10 his first two years here. He still got recruits to come. He's got the biggest piece already with Howell. I think he can get this thing turned around and have us in the hunt for the division by year three and have us around 10 wins in year 4-5. That's about the best you can ask for at UNC.

Based on the history of the program, you’re right. But there’s a reason why this program has always been known as the sleeping giant. There isn’t any real reason why UNC can’t be a national championship contender with the right coach.

You’re not wrong. But with better play calling and a healthy polino, we probably should be 4-0. If this team had found a way to win 8 games this year then it would’ve sped up the turnaround by paying dividends in recruiting.
Then loss of Polino has been very harmful. He seems to have been the 'glue' of the OL.

I agree that with better, more innovative, play calling we might be 4-0.

Recruiting, fan support, fundraising, making sure high school coaches don't hate us, etc. Those are the foundation of the house. We can't be a top 25 team without that stuff.

I can’t like this post enough!

Reactions: Archer2
And here come the negative Nancies. This is not a one or two year rebuilding project, Fed left our program in a shambles, as well as a total disconnect with NC high school coaches.
Not happy with Longo so far but thrilled with everything else. If we don’t win the Coastal next year, we’ll win it the following year.

if Longo doesn’t improve, his tenure in Chapel Hill will be short. He’s by far my biggest disappointment.

But we got those first 2 wins, & that’s extremely important, people are forgetting that with their fair weatheredness after the last 2 games. We have a true freshman stud QB & the staff is recruiting their asses off. Chill & have some patience!

Reactions: plm and Archer2
there’s no excuse to lose to that program...we have more talent even now, injured counted.

why we don’t run the fukking football more with a suspect pass pro line is mind blowing...i think it was 41-40 throw to run, but situationally, total garbage...whereas larry threw because screw the run and screw balance, now we have balance but situationally, horrible.

then line is young, get it...qb is young too...nobody can expect him to bail out the offense every week, especially when the defense is depleted and giving up chunks and points.

weirdly enough, i’m not as frustrated as i was under larry.

If any of us were told at the end of last season UNC would be 2-2 after 4 games no one would believe it. Most would have said 1-3 with a blow out loss or 2.
Mack has made improvements and the fighting to the end shows the growth already. Lots of injuries to starters, no depth, freshman QB I am encouraged with a 2-2 start. Could have and should have been 4-0. Bad starts, mistakes due to inexperience, and some bad breaks cost 2 games. I can still see a 6 win season which with the depth I consider a success after the last few years.

Reactions: 2DDIMOND
I was trying to understand the o game plan but really could not see it Both of our lines got owned #48 had a dream game, this is a very bad loss no sugar coating it. Have to play better next week and stay in the game against Clemspson

if we had zero turnovers we win !

that’s great, but i can’t count on not having turnovers each game with a young group, much like i can’t count on having dropped passes or bad spots.

not getting on you, just frustrated losing like this...again, this is not even fundamental, it seems logical to me; smaller team, push them around...break their will, then dime them all day.

I was trying to understand the o game plan but really could not see it Both of our lines got owned #48 had a dream game, this is a very bad loss no sugar coating it. Have to play better next week and stay in the game against Clemspson

Good luck with that!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT