ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching changes

Colorado State is targeting Butch Jones according to Sports Illustrated.

Colorado State is targeting Butch Jones according to Sports Illustrated.
Butch couldn't get the Vols over the hump. Was it that he was too midwestern? Is he limited to being a top G5 coach? If that latter was his problem in Knoxville, then he could do well in Fort Collins.

Butch couldn't get the Vols over the hump. Was it that he was too midwestern? Is he limited to being a top G5 coach? If that latter was his problem in Knoxville, then he could do well in Fort Collins.

The Tennessee program is a total mess right now. Pruitt hasn't done much better since taking the job and will probably be gone soon. I would like to see Butch get another chance to see what he can really do.

BC still hasn't hired a new HC. That makes me wonder about fighting between AD and boosters, and fighting among boosters and AD staff. If there are groups at loggerheads, then BC football could be in trouble.

I think that because of the early signing period, any coach that BC is able to sign would have agreed to do so by now if he has been offered. If, for example, Fickell has been offered and intends to take the job, he would be insane to keep putting off the announcement. The same would be true for Texas Aggies DC Mike Elko or Ohio St DC Jeff Hafley, etc.

The Tennessee program is a total mess right now. Pruitt hasn't done much better since taking the job and will probably be gone soon. I would like to see Butch get another chance to see what he can really do.
Colorado St has had a few nice runs. The right coach there can build a MWC power. Do that, and P5 teams will come looking at you.

I thought Butch Jones was a very good coach at both Central Michigan and Cincy, and I assumed he would do well at Tennessee.

I read earlier today LSU DC Dave Aranda was being considered for the UNLV job, but it looks like he won't be leaving LSU. I think LSU will give both him and Joe Brady huge raises to stay.

BC still hasn't hired a new HC. That makes me wonder about fighting between AD and boosters, and fighting among boosters and AD staff. If there are groups at loggerheads, then BC football could be in trouble.

I think that because of the early signing period, any coach that BC is able to sign would have agreed to do so by now if he has been offered. If, for example, Fickell has been offered and intends to take the job, he would be insane to keep putting off the announcement. The same would be true for Texas Aggies DC Mike Elko or Ohio St DC Jeff Hafley, etc.

BC is a tough job. There is really no in-state recruiting advantage, and they have to compete with far better programs for the northeast kids. Plus, they just fired a coach who went to bowls in 6 of 7 seasons, so if that's not good enough, than what is? If the administration is setting regular ACC title game appearences / championships as the standard, they are delusional.

FAU will hire Willie Taggert as their new head coach. It's not a P5 job, but he will probably still make more money than most people would know what to do with and have less stress and pressure. Not a bad deal.

And Boca Raton is a very nice place to be.

Absolutely. I'm happy Willie was able to find another head coaching job. I think he's a better coach than what he showed at FSU. He inherited a bad situation there, and it will be interesting to see how quickly Norvell can get things turned around.

FAU will hire Willie Taggert as their new head coach. It's not a P5 job, but he will probably still make more money than most people would know what to do with and have less stress and pressure. Not a bad deal.
No doubt.

Absolutely. I'm happy Willie was able to find another head coaching job. I think he's a better coach than what he showed at FSU. He inherited a bad situation there, and it will be interesting to see how quickly Norvell can get things turned around.
I think Norvell is on a whole different level from Taggert. They'll be much better next year. They have tons of talent, they just need leadership. He just inherited one of the top 10 HC positions in the country. Even with piss poor coaching, they have continued to recruit at a very high level. Kids love Tallahassee.

Last edited:
Reactions: MWHeels
He built up USF - if he keeps FAU at the level Kiffin got it (2 league champs in 3 seasons), then he might consider that he is meant to be a top G5 coach.

I think Charlie Strong harmed himself by leaving Louisville. He is the only Texas coach to have 3 consecutive losing teams, and he took USF back to the dumps. He may never again get a shot as HC at a solid G5 program.

College coach in Boca Raton is the good life.

ND and OC Chip Long have parted ways. This is most interesting, because Long revived the ND offense.

Long was TE coach under OC Mike Norvell at AZ St, then he was Memphis OC under Norvell for 1 year. I would think many programs would love to have him as OC.

Dillingham, who also worked under Norvell at AZ St and Memphis, and Long make a huge point about Norvell: his tree on offense is first rate. Norvell is a mastermind on offense.

Okay, I didn't see that. I saw a rumor that Kiffin would consider Kendall Briles as his OC, but I think he's bringing in someone from UCF.
Jeff Lebby. He is Art Briles son-in-law. So he brings a deep knowledge of the Briles type spread without the Briles name to poison the water. His UCF offenses obviously have been very good.

Reactions: MWHeels
Jeff Lebby. He is Art Briles son-in-law. So he brings a deep knowledge of the Briles type spread without the Briles name to poison the water. His UCF offenses obviously have been very good.

I'm hoping Kiffin does well at Ole Miss. He has definitely made some mistakes during his career, but he seems like he's taking responsibility for them. Kiffin also said he learned a lot from working on Saban's staff. He was treated unfairly at the end of his USC tenure, and that program hasn't done anything right since then. It would nice to see another strong team in the SEC West to challenge Bama and LSU.

I'm hoping Kiffin does well at Ole Miss. He has definitely made some mistakes during his career, but he seems like he's taking responsibility for them. Kiffin also said he learned a lot from working on Saban's staff. He was treated unfairly at the end of his USC tenure, and that program hasn't done anything right since then. It would nice to see another strong team in the SEC West to challenge Bama and LSU.
I assume Kiffin wants to keep Mike MacIntyre as DC. That would be a good move, as MacIntyre was at Ole Miss early in his career and is well known across the southeast. And having a former HC as DC can allow Kiffin to focus primarily on the offense, allowing the DC nearly free rein.

I think that Bama will be very lucky not to hit a downturn either just before Saban retires or when he retires. Everybody else in the SEC West better be prepared to pounce when it happens.

I assume Kiffin wants to keep Mike MacIntyre as DC. That would be a good move, as MacIntyre was at Ole Miss early in his career and is well known across the southeast. And having a former HC as DC can allow Kiffin to focus primarily on the offense, allowing the DC nearly free rein.

I think that Bama will be very lucky not to hit a downturn either just before Saban retires or when he retires. Everybody else in the SEC West better be prepared to pounce when it happens.

If Saban retires, and they can somehow convince Dabo to take over that program, I don't there would be any regression. If it's someone else, other programs could catch them.

If Saban retires, and they can somehow convince Dabo to take over that program, I don't there would be any regression. If it's someone else, other programs could catch them.

Dabo will retire with Clemson. He'll be their Bear Bryant by then.

BC still has no coach, but the latest 'news' is that Ohio St co-DC Jeff Hafley is the frontrunner.

Hafley is in his 1st year at Ohio St, after being an NFL position coach since 2012. So he has only 1 year as a co-DC.

BC has gone the NFL route before with success, but Jagodzinski had been BC OC for 2 years before going to the NFL, and then he had been Green Bay OC for 1 year before becoming BC HC.

Pickings are slim for BC.

Would Hafley use success at BC to fly to the NFL, as Jagodzinski did? Jagodzinski ruined his career that way.

The fact that Fickell doesn't have much interest in the BC isn't a surprise.

The fact that Fickell doesn't have much interest in the BC isn't a surprise.
He's never been a coach at a school outside OH. That would make me as an AD very wary. And if I were Fickell, I would be wondering if I could do a good job in any area not close to OH.

He may be content at Cincy until Dantonio retires, hoping he can lead the Spartans next. That's almost like coaching a team in OH.

He's never been a coach at a school outside OH. That would make me as an AD very wary. And if I were Fickell, I would be wondering if I could do a good job in any area not close to OH.

He may be content at Cincy until Dantonio retires, hoping he can lead the Spartans next. That's almost like coaching a team in OH.

I never of thought of MSU as an option for Fickell, but it makes perfect sense. Power 5 program in his comfort area for recruiting.

I never of thought of MSU as an option for Fickell, but it makes perfect sense. Power 5 program in his comfort area for recruiting.
Unless Ryan Day leaves, he's never going to get his only close to a dream job. Mich St is probably the next best thing, unless he can't face the prospect pf trying to beat Ohio St every year.

If that is the case, he should be looking to land a P5 job outside the BT but near the BT.

Why does Georgia pay so much for OL coaches? Sam Pittman made $900,000, and so will new OL coach Matt Luke.

Games are won, and therefore also lost, in the trenches.

BC has hired Jeff Hafley. He has precious little college coaching experience. He needs to assemble a staff that knows college recruiting and knows the ACC.

USC signs OC Graham Harrell to a contract extension. This is a positive step following the Helton drama.

USC signs OC Graham Harrell to a contract extension. This is a positive step following the Helton drama.
I wonder if some SC boosters are thinking about possibility firing Helton next year and keeping Harrell as HC.

If he gets the Longhorns D back to excellence, he'll get another P5 HC job.

He was a disaster at Rutgers, but I guess that school isn't in a good position to win. I should be an upgrade over Todd Orlando with Texas though.

TCU's OL Coach Chris Thomsen will join Mike Norvell's staff at Florida State.

SI now has an article about how weak the USC recruiting class is. Helton's seat is burning up before the next loss.

The contract extension guarantees money to Harrell, but it does not guarantee a future at SC.

SI now has an article about how weak the USC recruiting class is. Helton's seat is burning up before the next loss.

The contract extension guarantees money to Harrell, but it does not guarantee a future at SC.

USC is the worst-run athletic department of any Power 5 school when comparing where they are and where they should be given their resources. All the football team needs is a solid hire at the head coach position, but they just can't seem to get it right. Remember, they had Orgeron and decided he wasn't their guy. Now, he probably would have left for LSU anyway, but he could have at least put a foundation in place for his successor.

Bring in the right coach, and they can dominate CA recruiting as well as steal a few from the other major recruiting areas. It's not that hard.

Reactions: Archer2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT