ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching changes

USC is the worst-run athletic department of any Power 5 school when comparing where they are and where they should be given their resources. All the football team needs is a solid hire at the head coach position, but they just can't seem to get it right. Remember, they had Orgeron and decided he wasn't their guy. Now, he probably would have left for LSU anyway, but he could have at least put a foundation in place for his successor.

Bring in the right coach, and they can dominate CA recruiting as well as steal a few from the other major recruiting areas. It's not that hard.
I agree. Much like Miami and FSU, they're just waiting to explode with the right coach. I think FSU may have found theirs in Norvell.

Reactions: MWHeels
I agree. Much like Miami and FSU, they're just waiting to explode with the right coach. I think FSU may have found theirs in Norvell.

I think Norvell was the right hire for FSU considering all the candidates who they were considering for the position. He already had some early recruiting success during the early signing period.

Miami is tougher. It's a private school, the stadium isn't ideal and their athletic department never seems to want to invest the amount of money in the coaching staff that it takes to compete with the top programs. And the fans only show up for the big games. I would have brought Butch back instead of hiring Manny Diaz, but that's me.

Mullen is doing a nice job at UF. I guess they dodged a bullet when Chip Kelly turned them down for UCLA.

I think Norvell was the right hire for FSU considering all the candidates who they were considering for the position. He already had some early recruiting success during the early signing period.
I agree. I think he was a very good hire, perhaps a real diamond in the rough. At any rate, I'd like to see somebody in the Atlantic offer up some real resistance to Clemson.
Miami is tougher. It's a private school, the stadium isn't ideal and their athletic department never seems to want to invest the amount of money in the coaching staff that it takes to compete with the top programs. And the fans only show up for the big games. I would have brought Butch back instead of hiring Manny Diaz, but that's me.
I agree that Miami is a tougher gig, still it's a great one. I also agree about giving Butch another shot.
Mullen is doing a nice job at UF. I guess they dodged a bullet when Chip Kelly turned them down for UCLA.
Indeed.

I'm not a big fan of teams playing bowl games in their home stadiums. I know it can happen in the playoff from time to time (LSU / Superdome) but the other bowls should all be neutral site games for both teams.

Arkansas hired Kendall Briles as OC.

In the SWC days, Arkansas loaded up on TX talent. Can Briles play a role in getting the Hawgs back to being able to draw top TX talent? If so, Pittman may build a winner.

Arkansas hired Kendall Briles as OC.

In the SWC days, Arkansas loaded up on TX talent. Can Briles play a role in getting the Hawgs back to being able to draw top TX talent? If so, Pittman may build a winner.

I didn't know to much about Pittman when he was hired, but he is putting together a good coaching staff. Maybe they can finally start winning again.

I guess Mark Dantonio will stay at Michigan State for at least another year. I thought for sure he would be done after a disappointing season and sub par 2020 recruiting class.

Does Miami losing in a shut out to Louisiana Tech signal that Manny Diaz is on a seat so hot that it might explode soon?

Dan Enos may be done at Miami. If so, who becomes OC? What top, or up and coming, OC would risk serving under Diaz now?

Does Miami losing in a shut out to Louisiana Tech signal that Manny Diaz is on a seat so hot that it might explode soon?

Diaz is definitely on the hot seat. He won't get fired after his first year, but will need to make changes to the coaching staff. That's always the last step before the head coach is gone, so it's not good for this to happen in year 1.

Here's my problem with Miami. They started off 0-2 and then never really showed any improvement during the season. They finished the year 6-7 after the bowl loss, but if they had that record with a 4-5 game win streak to end the year, there would at least be signs of positive momentum heading into the 2020 season. Instead they end the year with 3 straight losses to FIU, Duke and Louisiana Tech. Not good at all. 8-4 next year may not be enough to save Manny after the 2019 season disaster.

Reactions: Raising Heel
They are not trending well at all. All of that talent and they just can't seem to do anything offensively. I am not sure if Diaz has what it takes but they couldn't win with Richt either.

They are not trending well at all. All of that talent and they just can't seem to do anything offensively. I am not sure if Diaz has what it takes but they couldn't win with Richt either.
The Richt failure to get over the hump I think was due largely to his then unknown heart issues. At Ole Miss, Cutcliffe went into some kind of slow motion for a year, and he made really stupid decisions. Then he got fired for refusing to make any changes to his staff. Then he was named ND OC and associate HC, and then he had a heart attack.

Only after some down time did he get back the full ability he had earlier.

A heart going down will drag the entire person down, at the same rate the heart is declining.

Miami should be ready to fire Diaz early next year if the team continues to look like this. And that means Miami needs to be searching, quietly, for a replacement starting now.

Miami should be ready to fire Diaz early next year if the team continues to look like this. And that means Miami needs to be searching, quietly, for a replacement starting now.

They need to take a page out our coaching playbook and bring Butch back. He was the last guy to bring success to that program.

My Top 5 hot seat list entering 2020 season

1. Manny Diaz
2. Clay Helton
3. Mark Dantonio
4. Will Muschamp
5. Chip Kelly

My Top 5 hot seat list entering 2020 season

1. Manny Diaz
2. Clay Helton
3. Mark Dantonio
4. Will Muschamp
5. Chip Kelly
Dantonio got a nice win today. He may have the Spartans back to 8 or more wins next year. I'd almost be willing to bet that the other 4 get fired next year.

Dantonio got a nice win today. He may have the Spartans back to 8 or more wins next year. I'd almost be willing to bet that the other 4 get fired next year.

It's possible but he's losing Lewerke as well as several key players on defense, which was the strong unit on their team. Plus the recruiting class isn't that great. He may need to hit the transfer market in order to get the Spartans back in contention next year.

I don’t think there’s much doubt that DIAZ will be gone, barring a huge reversal of fortune. I don’t see that happening. They just look plain bad in every aspect of the game.

Norvell is already making an impact at FSU by getting both Marvin Wilson and Tamorrion Terry to come back next year.

Norvell is already making an impact at FSU by getting both Marvin Wilson and Tamorrion Terry to come back next year.
That was huge, bigger than getting 4* QB Purdy to flip.

I think FSU might be back to roaring in 2021.

That was huge, bigger than getting 4* QB Purdy to flip.

I think FSU might be back to roaring in 2021.

They still have a few questions at the QB and OL positions going into the 2020 season, but I agree with you that they seem to heading in the right direction with Norvell.

The UF / FSU rivalry should be pretty intense again with Mullen and Norvell running the programs.

Kiffin is targeting Chris Partridge for the DC position. Partridge is a strong recruiter and would be a huge loss to Harbaugh's staff.

Kiffin is targeting Chris Partridge for the DC position. Partridge is a strong recruiter and would be a huge loss to Harbaugh's staff.
So Chris Partridge gave up the drums to coach football - that's a more wholesome path than Danny took.

Reactions: MWHeels
Miami has a culture problem on the offensive side. horrid play calling the last decade. I cant see an established OC taking that job without a good pay check. They have been just miserable to watch on O while sending guys to the NFL. They have the most OL in the NFL now believe it or not and their lines have been awful

Miami has a culture problem on the offensive side. horrid play calling the last decade. I cant see an established OC taking that job without a good pay check. They have been just miserable to watch on O while sending guys to the NFL. They have the most OL in the NFL now believe it or not and their lines have been awful
So what Miami needs is an OC who instills discipline and does not run an offense that leads to players perhaps assuming that athleticism is the be-all and end-all.

But that OC likely would need at least 2 full seasons to change the now ruined offensive culture at Miami. Another dud year like 2019, and Diaz is gone.

So what OC wants the job?

Scott Boone off of the Tar Heel staff.
Football scoop says more staff changes to come.

Scott Boone off of the Tar Heel staff.
Football scoop says more staff changes to come.
Stacy Searels was no better than an average OL coach at Texas and then at VT and then at Miami. He showed nothing the past year at UNC to indicate that the previous 8 seasons were the aberration and not the rule. So a change at OL coach might be warranted.

I'd still offer Joe Brady the OC job, and let him know that if he proves he is the Boy Wonder, then the UNC HC job is his when Mack steps down.

I thought our OL played well this year. Sam threw for almost 4,000 yards, we had two thousand yard receivers for the first time ever, a thousand yard rusher and another with over 900 yards. It's hard for me to advocate for a change at the OL coach position when we put up those kinds of numbers.

There were supposedly "differences" between Boone and the staff, whatever that's supposed to mean. I hope we hire a good OL coach/STC to replace him.

I thought the OL was pretty good this yr considering that we had a RS frosh as the RG starter coming out of fall, and a first-timer at Center.

They played like poop vs App when Heck was out. And not great vs Wake when Polino first went missing.

But Heck came back, they started rotating Ezeudu into the mix a bunch, and they looked really good for a bunch of sophomores.

I think many of the sacks were on Sam, rather than the OL. JMHO.

Reactions: Raising Heel
Bob Diaco hired as the new Defensive Coordinator at Purdue. I believe he was at Notre Dame when they went to the title game in 2012.

Footballscoop is now reporting that Mack will not initiate any more staff changes

North Carolina: Mack Brown is making a change in direction at special teams and STC/outside linebackers coach Scott Boone will not return, sources tell FootballScoop. A 36-year coaching veteran, Boone has worked previously at Wake Forest, Arizona, Nevada and William & Mary and spent seven seasons as the head coach at Randolph-Macon College. We are told Mack is not expected to initiate any more staff changes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT