ADVERTISEMENT

Cole Anthony

That bad anxious feeling is fair, but you answered your own question before you even posed it, TBH.

Roy doesn't just load up and lie to kids in the process, and then sort them out later (like k and cal). He recruited as he always has but a confluence of circumstance unfortunately got in the way. As for the position in question in particular, Roy historically lines up his successors strategically. He'll secure his heir-apparent PG1, and supplement him with a PG2 or a Combo 2-Guard as contingency.

Make no mistake, Jalek was brought in to be Joel's heir-apparent as PG1, and was on the track to be just that... and Francis was recruited to be Jalek's. Coby was recruited as Kenny's heir-apparent at the 2 and as the aforementioned Combo who might get some PG minutes here and there.

It's instructive to be accurate here --- Jalek didn't wash out as a player. While yes, his immaturity helped get himself into a weird off-court situation, it was not handled well by the university and by all rights he should've been playing. In any event, there was no way Roy could've anticipated any of that mess --- any more than he could've anticipated Francis being set back with a microfracture :(

So think about it in perspective of normalcy, i.e., right about now Jalek would be coming off a break-out season as our PG1 and Coby would be coming off a season as a valuable back-up 2 who whetted our anticipation with his scoring explosions and ready to step in and start at SG next season (and likely not even looking at the draft yet). Sure, we'd be waiting to see if Jalek was declaring, but that would be mitigated by a healthy new PG1 Francis coming in this summer.

Funny thing is, even in that normal scenario Roy might still be recruiting the heck outta Cole as an OAD PG1, but in that case if he went elsewhere we'd still be in much better shape than if the worst-case scenario happened Tuesday --- at worst we'd be left with a (healthy) Francis-White starting backcourt.

All that said, yeah, it sucks being in this current position as we wait. Hopefully Cole commits to the good guys, Francis heals up 100%, and order is restored.:oops::cool:
Some good points here but also some speculation. Devil's advocate:

1. The initial Francis injury was almost 1.5 years ago (Felton stuff nearly that long too). There's been not just one but two recruiting classes in the interim. There was time to stopgap these issues.
2. I don't think Coby would have sat behind Kenny at the 2 last year. He certainly was a much better player than Kenny was. It's possible, but it would have been a big coaching mistake. I think Roy goes with the freshman when the gap is that clear.
3. Even if Coby doesn't start, he certainly could've played Nas/Bradley like minutes. As we saw with those guys, you don't need to be a starter to be OAD. So I disagree with your assertion that there was any reason to think our "worst case" was a healthy Francis and Coby in 2019-2020.

If Roy's not going to plan on guys ranked #15-30 being OAD that's on him. We've now had Bradley and Coby both leave, so a contingency for Bacot leaving should be planned for, not an emergency if it happens. Thankfully we've got Sharpe. And Francis' injury has been foreseeable for some time now, we just missed on Boogie/Moore/Mann/Green and didn't target a few other guys that could've been talented backcourt players. Hopefully we get Harris and a grad transfer.

Reactions: Heelicious
Gary, that was the best post ever! It was poetry! I could struggle over every word for a month and fail to equal what you said. If I were Bill Gates, I would find you and give you five million dollars!

Reactions: TheGLOV
Some good points here but also some speculation. Devil's advocate:

1. The initial Francis injury was almost 1.5 years ago (Felton stuff nearly that long too). There's been not just one but two recruiting classes in the interim. There was time to stopgap these issues.
2. I don't think Coby would have sat behind Kenny at the 2 last year. He certainly was a much better player than Kenny was. It's possible, but it would have been a big coaching mistake. I think Roy goes with the freshman when the gap is that clear.
3. Even if Coby doesn't start, he certainly could've played Nas/Bradley like minutes. As we saw with those guys, you don't need to be a starter to be OAD. So I disagree with your assertion that there was any reason to think our "worst case" was a healthy Francis and Coby in 2019-2020.
By the "normal" scenario I laid out I stand by that being the worst case. And I thoroughly agree with Roy in standing by Francis. I don't want to see him pull a k and entice bail-out players.

Reactions: Green C14
By the "normal" scenario I laid out I stand by that being the worst case.
Okay... so then which part of my post was unrealistic? I think I laid out a pretty reasonable worst case. If your worst case scenario entails a top 25 ranked recruit staying multiple years you are thinking too optimistically.

And I thoroughly agree with Roy in standing by Francis. I don't want to see him pull a k and entice bail-out players.
Who said anything about not standing by Francis? It doesn't mean he needs to be the only potential point guard on the team.

That bad anxious feeling is fair, but you answered your own question before you even posed it, TBH.

Roy doesn't just load up and lie to kids in the process, and then sort them out later (like k and cal). He recruited as he always has but a confluence of circumstance unfortunately got in the way. As for the position in question in particular, Roy historically lines up his successors strategically. He'll secure his heir-apparent PG1, and supplement him with a PG2 or a Combo 2-Guard as contingency.

Make no mistake, Jalek was brought in to be Joel's heir-apparent as PG1, and was on the track to be just that... and Francis was recruited to be Jalek's. Coby was recruited as Kenny's heir-apparent at the 2 and as the aforementioned Combo who might get some PG minutes here and there.

It's instructive to be accurate here --- Jalek didn't wash out as a player. While yes, his immaturity helped get himself into a weird off-court situation, it was not handled well by the university and by all rights he should've been playing. In any event, there was no way Roy could've anticipated any of that mess --- any more than he could've anticipated Francis being set back with a microfracture :(

So think about it in perspective of normalcy, i.e., right about now Jalek would be coming off a break-out season as our PG1 and Coby would be coming off a season as a valuable back-up 2 who whetted our anticipation with his scoring explosions and ready to step in and start at SG next season (and likely not even looking at the draft yet). Sure, we'd be waiting to see if Jalek was declaring, but that would be mitigated by a healthy new PG1 Francis coming in this summer.

Funny thing is, even in that normal scenario Roy might still be recruiting the heck outta Cole as an OAD PG1, but in that case if he went elsewhere we'd still be in much better shape than if the worst-case scenario happened Tuesday --- at worst we'd be left with a (healthy) Francis-White starting backcourt.

All that said, yeah, it sucks being in this current position as we wait. Hopefully Cole commits to the good guys, Francis heals up 100%, and order is restored.:oops::cool:
Man seriously. You should have a podcast. Seriously!

Reactions: TheGLOV and gary-7
Okay... so then which part of my post was unrealistic? I think I laid out a pretty reasonable worst case. If your worst case scenario entails a top 25 ranked recruit staying multiple years you are thinking too optimistically.

Who said anything about not standing by Francis? It doesn't mean he needs to be the only potential point guard on the team.
Well, you mentioned filling things in, so that's what I responded to.

Again, if things were normal --- no "Title IX" mess for Jalek, no freak HS injury to Francis --- my original point (in response to another poster's legitimate angst) was that we wouldn't be sweating our succession so much right about now. As to your first question Coby (unlike Nas) did not commit to UNC with expectations of OAD. Nor did he expect to start. To be sure, all the rest is post facto academic/speculative now, but if his path had been as originally conceived, I highly doubt we'd be losing him just yet. Thus we'd be looking at a Felton/White backcourt for Fall, or Francis/White if Jalek declared (or perhaps Anthony/White if that was the case). I honestly don't see anything too optimistic about any of that --- if anything it's merely how Roy had it strategically mapped out, which again, was also in my original point.

In some universe Cole will announce for Memphis tomorrow.

With Wiseman, Achiwa, Watford and Jeffries, Cole will give Penney Hardaway the #1 recruiting class and a 5-freshman starting lineup.

Final Four:

Duke
Memphis
Kentucky
Arizona

Fortunately, that's unlikely to be our universe.

Reactions: ajklum and TheGLOV
Well, you mentioned filling things in, so that's what I responded to.

Again, if things were normal --- no "Title IX" mess for Jalek, no freak HS injury to Francis --- my original point (in response to another poster's legitimate angst) was that we wouldn't be sweating our succession so much right about now. As to your first question Coby (unlike Nas) did not commit to UNC with expectations of OAD. Nor did he expect to start. To be sure, all the rest is post facto academic/speculative now, but if his path had been as originally conceived, I highly doubt we'd be losing him just yet. Thus we'd be looking at a Felton/White backcourt for Fall, or Francis/White if Jalek declared (or perhaps Anthony/White if that was the case). I honestly don't see anything too optimistic about any of that --- if anything it's merely how Roy had it strategically mapped out, which again, was also in my original point.

Cream rises to the top, does not matter what the expectations would have been had things worked out differently, Coby was cream and he was going to rise no matter who was there. Frances, not sure what the freak accident was, kid had been playing on a bad knee since early freshman year, decided to get it solid before coming to UNC and it was discovered to have been much more serious than was expected, tells you the kid played in pain for a long while, kid has heart.

As for Jalek, fact is the big concern with him was he being hard headed, listening to to much of his own hype, Ray and family tried to talk to him prior to getting to UNC, about the spotlight our players live under, about making good decisions both on and off the court. Now we can minimize what occurred but in the end it was a poor decision that led to his down fall and while that lesson may be well taught now, the clock has ticked by for him.

Cream rises to the top, does not matter what the expectations would have been had things worked out differently, Coby was cream and he was going to rise no matter who was there. Frances, not sure what the freak accident was, kid had been playing on a bad knee since early freshman year, decided to get it solid before coming to UNC and it was discovered to have been much more serious than was expected, tells you the kid played in pain for a long while, kid has heart.

As for Jalek, fact is the big concern with him was he being hard headed, listening to to much of his own hype, Ray and family tried to talk to him prior to getting to UNC, about the spotlight our players live under, about making good decisions both on and off the court. Now we can minimize what occurred but in the end it was a poor decision that led to his down fall and while that lesson may be well taught now, the clock has ticked by for him.
That's not enrirely accurate about Felton, and I will leave it at that

If we can pull in Anthony, Keeling, Pierce, and Harris to go along with Bacot and Francis, that is a heck of a class. Ranking won't count Keeling and Pierce, but I will.

Anthony/Woods
Keeling/Robinson
Pierce/Black
Brooks/Bacot
Bacot/Manley

That is better than I thought a month ago for sure.

If we can pull in Anthony, Keeling, Pierce, and Harris to go along with Bacot and Francis, that is a heck of a class. Ranking won't count Keeling and Pierce, but I will.

Anthony/Woods
Keeling/Robinson
Pierce/Black
Brooks/Bacot
Bacot/Manley

Pierce would have to be a boy dog to start over Black. I don't see it imo.

Anthony/Woods
Keeling/Robinson
Pierce/Black
Brooks/Bacot
Bacot/Manley

LOL then again it would be great to snag him, and he does seem to have IT

cover3.jpg

Jokes aside, Like I've always said, I'll be the first to own up to being wrong. And boy was I. Was skeptical in the beginning and had me sweating near the final stretch, and it all worked out. No excuses on my part. Roy showing why he's the best in the business while I sit at my computer desk.

Also love that he didn't pause or try to draw up suspense or even do the cap thing. Was so quick I almost missed it. No crowded gym and fan-fare, no hour long banquet like some other recruits we know, just straight to the point Sounds like the kind of guy we like to see in UNC blue.

Let's get Harris and a grad transfer and close this bad boy out.

cover3.jpg

Jokes aside, Like I've always said, I'll be the first to own up to being wrong. And boy was I. Was skeptical in the beginning and had me sweating near the final stretch, and it all worked out. No excuses on my part. Roy showing why he's the best in the business while I sit at my computer desk.

Also love that he didn't pause or try to draw up suspense or even do the cap thing. Was so quick I almost missed it. No crowded gym and fan-fare, no hour long banquet like some other recruits we know, just straight to the point Sounds like the kind of guy we like to see in UNC blue.

Let's get Harris and a grad transfer and close this bad boy out.

How to you want that crow..."well done" with a lot of pepper salt on top? ;)lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT