ADVERTISEMENT

Cole Anthony

Corey Evans seems pretty darn confident we'll get him FWIW, based on two articles today:

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals...ftovers-dishing-on-r-j-hampton-villanova-more

"2. If UNC does not get Anthony, expect for the Tar Heels to heat things up with Virginia Tech decommit Anthony Harris, though I would be shocked if they do not land the five-star guard."

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/twitter-tuesday-indiana-duke-cole-anthony-arizona

"I would be very surprised if Cole Anthony does not commit to North Carolina by the end of the month. Anthony has prolonged his recruitment throughout the winter months for a reason: to see who will be leaving and who will be staying at each of his finalists. The five-star is down to a final four of Georgetown, Notre Dame, Oregon and North Carolina, and now that Coby White has announced his intentions of entering his name into the NBA Draft North Carolina looks to have an even better chance at landing Anthony."

Should go after Harris no matter what. Couldn't hurt having both Cole and Harris

Should go after Harris no matter what. Couldn't hurt having both Cole and Harris
I have to agree. Seems like a good fit based on my "Recruiting Depth" post where I mentioned I thought we could use an extra guy in the #50-100 range every year to keep the roster stacked with talent. Granted I know nothing about Harris in particular, but given our four open scholarships he seems like a potential take. Cole, Tucker, and one other guy like Harris sounds pretty perfect right about now.

Reactions: Sk1310
Yes it is unfortunate. But that's the nature of the beast when you have one and dones on the roster. I doubt very seriously that Roy expected White to be out the door in one year.

Duke, Kentucky, Kansas etc. all have huge turnover every year.

True. The difference is that UK and Dook know it will happen and simply reload with the next crop of 5 star kids. At this point, we had a mass exodus with very little replacements.
I totally disagree. Other than Coby White we knew all the players would be gone well before the season started.

Reactions: TheFamily22
Yes it is unfortunate. But that's the nature of the beast when you have one and dones on the roster. I doubt very seriously that Roy expected White to be out the door in one year.

Duke, Kentucky, Kansas etc. all have huge turnover every year.

Coby wasn't supposed to be one and done. Jalek wasn't supposed to be ineligible and kicked out of school. Francis wasn't supposed to be recovering from a 2nd knee surgery. All unfortunate events but where they are at right now. Feels similar to when Butter left and the sky was falling only to somehow make it through it.

Think he means me.
And while he harps on 0/10, we are competing with 300 and something other places and we offer no money or special "deals".

And just how do you think Roy has "blown" any of these recruits decisions Rose?
@mikeirbyusa he quoted my response to his... guess he is butt hurt that I acrually watched the video and knew that Cole never said he was 100% committing by the end of April

Reactions: mikeirbyusa
I totally disagree. Other than Coby White we knew all the players would be gone well before the season started.
That is true and there have been many misses in this recruiting class that would have restocked the lineup. In Roy’s defense, he could have had White, Felton and a healthy Francis for next year. That is a helluva backcourt. Instead, he only has a post-injury Francis that hasn’t played in two years.

One of the few gripes I have with Roy is how he spends too much time on certain recruits that we have very little chance at while not offering others until we have been eliminated by the priority recruit.

In Roy’s defense, he could have had White, Felton and a healthy Francis for next year.

This isn't really smart planning either though. In today's game anyone in the top 25 is liable to leave after a year. While some of the back end guys do stay 2-3 years, having that as your only plan doesn't make much sense. And Felton was not really projected to play for more than 2 years, so I don't think we ever expected to have all three together.

Looking at the 2017 recruiting rankings, of the top 20 guys ironically only two UK players (PJ Washington and Nick Richards) stayed for their sophomore season. The other 18 were OAD. From #21-32 four of the next twelve only played one season and if I had to guess another three are going pro this offseason. Two others have already transferred (Emmanuel Akot and Quade Green), leaving only three guys in the top 32 that will play with their original team for 3 seasons (M.J. Walker, Nick Weatherspoon, and Malik Williams).

Bottomline our roster planning shouldn't be contingent on guys like Bradley, White, Bacot, or Sharpe staying multiple seasons. If they do, great, but there is a fair chance they won't so we should be ready for that possibility. There's only so much you can do with 13 scholarships, but we have four open spots right now and have given a scholarship to a walk-on for at least the last three seasons. We have a bit of room to play with.

Of the four Oregon players who declared- sounds like Bol Bol and Louis king are gone, and Pritchard and Wooten are expected to “test the waters” and return.

Coby wasn't supposed to be one and done. Jalek wasn't supposed to be ineligible and kicked out of school. Francis wasn't supposed to be recovering from a 2nd knee surgery. All unfortunate events but where they are at right now. Feels similar to when Butter left and the sky was falling only to somehow make it through it.
Very well said!

I have a theory on the delay of Cole past his original 4/6 announcement date.
Perhaps , just perhaps he is waiting on those grad transfers and those guys who have still not committed to perhaps pull the trigger for Carolina...or not. That would clear the air as to just what team he feels CAN make the FF. If a Tucker or Utomi commits maybe that seals the deal

It would clarify just what kind of team Carolina will have next season...his one and only in college...wherever he goes.

Just a theory...….

This isn't really smart planning either though. In today's game anyone in the top 25 is liable to leave after a year. While some of the back end guys do stay 2-3 years, having that as your only plan doesn't make much sense. And Felton was not really projected to play for more than 2 years, so I don't think we ever expected to have all three together.

Looking at the 2017 recruiting rankings, of the top 20 guys ironically only two UK players (PJ Washington and Nick Richards) stayed for their sophomore season. The other 18 were OAD. From #21-32 four of the next twelve only played one season and if I had to guess another three are going pro this offseason. Two others have already transferred (Emmanuel Akot and Quade Green), leaving only three guys in the top 32 that will play with their original team for 3 seasons (M.J. Walker, Nick Weatherspoon, and Malik Williams).

Bottomline our roster planning shouldn't be contingent on guys like Bradley, White, Bacot, or Sharpe staying multiple seasons. If they do, great, but there is a fair chance they won't so we should be ready for that possibility. There's only so much you can do with 13 scholarships, but we have four open spots right now and have given a scholarship to a walk-on for at least the last three seasons. We have a bit of room to play with.

Talented players ALWAYS look at playing time and who else will be on the roster. For example, if Coby was still going to be our PG next season, it would be hard to get any other great PG to come in this spring. That is just a fact of life at UNC and elsewhere too...

Talented players ALWAYS look at playing time and who else will be on the roster. For example, if Coby was still going to be our PG next season, it would be hard to get any other great PG to come in this spring. That is just a fact of life at UNC and elsewhere too...

That's not at all the case with Cole.

He wants to go where talent is already in place so he can win. He wanted to play with Coby in the backcourt. Cole has said this numerous times and Greg Anthony tweeted as such.

Think he means me.
And while he harps on 0/10, we are competing with 300 and something other places and we offer no money or special "deals".

And just how do you think Roy has "blown" any of these recruits decisions Rose?

So you think whiffing on 10 recruits in a row without a single hindrance around our program isn't concerning? Man, I wish I could live in the bubble some of y'all live in.

Honestly, I sure hope we land Anthony so y'all can continue with this "negativity" spinjob any time someone raises valid concerns or criticism. I'm honestly tired of having to say "I told you so" every time one of you complains about me calling it like it is and still ending up being right.

@mikeirbyusa he quoted my response to his... guess he is butt hurt that I acrually watched the video and knew that Cole never said he was 100% committing by the end of April

The fact that you'd rather harp over word choice rather than address my point is on par with what I'd expect from you.

Reactions: Tarheels39
Please tell us Rose exactly what Roy did wrong or what he should have done to get them here.

Have not checked your 0/10 but where did they all go? Any handlers involved?

Or you just tired of Roy?

What is your beef?

Enlighten us please.

What are those concerns?

Roy will not promise PT, nor deal with handlers. I personally don't want it any other way. You?

That's not at all the case with Cole.

He wants to go where talent is already in place so he can win. He wanted to play with Coby in the backcourt. Cole has said this numerous times and Greg Anthony tweeted as such.

Never said Cole specifically. However, who said Coby would want to play the Two next season, if he would have decided to stay??

So you think whiffing on 10 recruits in a row without a single hindrance around our program isn't concerning? Man, I wish I could live in the bubble some of y'all live in.

Honestly, I sure hope we land Anthony so y'all can continue with this "negativity" spinjob any time someone raises valid concerns or criticism. I'm honestly tired of having to say "I told you so" every time one of you complains about me calling it like it is and still ending up being right.

The fact that you'd rather harp over word choice rather than address my point is on par with what I'd expect from you.

Insane POV, imo...

I know I’m probably the only person on this board to feel this way, but I really could care less if we get him or not. Don’t want a single one and done and especially one that has a mouth like his. Don’t care for his demeanor and his choice of speech. Just my two cents.

I'm done arguing with you... your reading comprehension is on par with uncgrad1997, and that's being generous. I did adsress your question mybreaponse was thensame Cole.never guarenteed a commitment. Since you knownhe did point me to the minute in that video where he said i will commit at the end of April, I'll wait. Go root for the wolpfack, or dook but you can't be a tar heel fan. And don't give me that anyone who says something negetive about our team gets jumped on its the way you put things then jump on other posters that draws my ire i have criticized our team and coach aplenty, but you? Your just a hater. good day sir...

Last edited:
Please tell us Rose exactly what Roy did wrong or what he should have done to get them here.

What is your beef?

Enlighten us please.

God forbid a fan simply be frustrated with the situation. That clearly means he has an issue with our HC or the way he does things. That's clearly too abstract an idea for you to comprehend right? I forgot anything that's not circlejerking or posted with tinted sunglasses on is frowned upon here. I'll get back to the simple-minded postivity posting from now on.

UNC good
K-Rat bad
Patience Grasshoppers. Remember Harrison Barnes? :D

Insane POV, imo...

Another garbage post from you, imo...

I'm done arguing with you... your reading comprehension is on par with uncgrad1997, and that's being generous. Go root for the wolpfack, or dook but you can't be a tar heel fan. And don't give me that anyone who says something negetive about our team gets jumped on its the way you put things then jump on other posters that draws my ire i have criticized our team and coach aplenty, but you? Your just a hater. good day sir...
1qbFsr3.png

Ah yes, the ol' reliable of this forum. When in doubt, whip it out.

You're an absolute joke that you have to resort to such low hanging fruit. I don't know what's worse, you thinking anyone who doesn't post the same dribble as you isn't a fan or your terrible impersonation of a source getting information from a "bigwig" insider. Probably the latter.

Consider taking the Archer route and using that ignore button so I can read your stupidity from afar rather than interact with it. Peace!

God forbid a fan simply be frustrated with the situation. That clearly means he has an issue with our HC or the way he does things. That's clearly too abstract an idea for you to comprehend right? I forgot anything that's not circlejerking or posted with tinted sunglasses on is frowned upon here. I'll get back to the simple-minded postivity posting from now on.

UNC good
K-Rat bad

1qbFsr3.png

You're an absolute joke that you have to resort to such low hanging fruit. I don't know what's worse, you thinking anyone who doesn't post the same dribble as you isn't a fan or your terrible impersonation of a source getting information from a "bigwig" insider. Probably the latter.

Consider taking the Archer route and using that ignore button so I can read your stupidity from afar rather than interact with it. Peace!
LOL I resorted to nothing. By the by i noticed that you still have yet to point out where in the video you posted Cole said he was definatly gonna commit before the end of this month... still waiting... while I'm at it still waiting for the he said he was GOING to commit on the 6th or he was going to commit on the 20th...your the joke man. And I genuinely liked reading your post. I had nothing against you until now... I have disagreed with plenty on this board and yet somehow still am fine with them i don't think that we have to all agree. I pointed out a FACT dont be mad because you cant handle the truth... for the last time TELL ME WHERE IN THE VIDEO COLE SAID I AM GOING TO COMMIT, OR AM COMMITTING AT THE END OF THE MONTH... still waiting. Your move sir.
Oh and I haven't posted from the person I know because there isn't much to tell on Cole I do know Precious has a handler and is gonna have to let that peraon go if he wants to commit. Cole has no leaks from his camp. But go on and belittle me some more while i patiently wait for you to answer where in the video Cole says he is committing at the end of this month... (final jepardy theme)

Last edited:
Rose, please just answer the questions.

You're asking me questions that take less than 2 minutes to figure out yourself, but ok.

Have not checked your 0/10 but where did they all go?

Keion Brooks - UK
Tre Mann - Florida
Vernon Carey - Duke
Anthony Edwards - Georgia
Josh Green - Arizona
Jeremiah Robinson-Earl - Villanova
Wendell Moore - Duke
Zeke Nnaji - Arizona
Boogie Ellis - Duke

There was also Will Baker and James Wiseman, but we already had Mando and Wiseman was never actively pursued so they don't count. Therefore 0/9.

Any handlers involved?
You tell me. I mean, clearly you're the one on the inside looking out. You must know something we don't. Why else would you attempt to downplay any valid concerns?

Nice strawman

What is your beef?
My "concern" is that we're losing 5 of our best players without much coming in to replace it with. I think I've said this more than enough times for you to get it by now.

While we're asking questions we already know the answer to, why do so many of you constantly accuse anyone that has any varying degree of concern for our team of being "negative" or a "fake fan", rather than actually providing a legitimate counter-argument that isn't some form of: "This isn't a positive post so let's not discuss it since we have no control over it.", "Roy knows what he's doing", "how dare you criticize Roy" etc.? On a website designed for discussion no less.

Last edited:

What is your beef?

Enlighten us please.

UNC good
K-Rat bad

Insane POV, imo...

I'm done arguing with you... your reading comprehension is on par with uncgrad1997, and that's being generous. Go root for the wolpfack, or dook but you can't be a tar heel fan. And don't give me that anyone who says something negetive about our team gets jumped on its the way you put things then jump on other posters that draws my ire i have criticized our team and coach aplenty, but you? Your just a hater. good day sir...
1qbFsr3.png

I agree as well,if we were going to get Cole,He would have already commited....MOVE OWN

I dont see anything wrong with what Rose is saying. It’s a legitimate concern. We are coming off 2 Final Fours, a Natty, 3 ACC championships in the last 4 years and schools like Kansas and Arizona who have had minimal success and are knee deep in FBI madness are beating us for recruits. Again, we’ve known for about a year and a half which players would be gone and who we would have to replace. 3 seniors and Nas who everyone knew the day he committed would only be here a year. The only unexpected one was Coby and to a degree Jalek but he was a OAD candidate too. Im not buying the whole “Roy had to wait for the roster to turn out” excuse at all. He’s known since October of 2017 that there would be 4 big minute contributors to replace as soon as the 2019 season was over

I dont see anything wrong with what Rose is saying. It’s a legitimate concern. We are coming off 2 Final Fours, a Natty, 3 ACC championships in the last 4 years and schools like Kansas and Arizona who have had minimal success and are knee deep in FBI madness are beating us for recruits. Again, we’ve known for about a year and a half which players would be gone and who we would have to replace. 3 seniors and Nas who everyone knew the day he committed would only be here a year. The only unexpected one was Coby and to a degree Jalek but he was a OAD candidate too
And what/should have Roy done differently?

2020 is building up to be a barn burner. Roy can't pick for these kids.

Reactions: TheGLOV and iwish
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT