ADVERTISEMENT

Economy

Grayhead

Hall of Famer
Feb 15, 2006
I honestly can't see what is keeping it humming along. With inflation skyrocketing, and the inability to get parts, lack of workforce, the new home construction is hot as every. Some are projecting 22 to be the biggest year ever.
Is it due to covid hang over? 🤔

As divided as people are across the board, and the horror movie of the shipping industry, I figured it would slow.

It can take 10-15 weeks to get windows and doors. 21 weeks to get Marine construction materials 21 weeks.

It seems every industry is having similar issues with no solution in site.

I am thankful, but baffled as well

I honestly can't see what is keeping it humming along. With inflation skyrocketing, and the inability to get parts, lack of workforce, the new home construction is hot as every. Some are projecting 22 to be the biggest year ever.

As divided as people are across the board, and the horror movie of the shipping industry, I figured it would slow.

It can take 10-15 weeks to get windows and doors. 21 weeks to get Marine construction materials 21 weeks.

when I was younger and sometimes became strapped for cash, I might borrow a wad of it. All of a sudden my personal economy became quite robust...but then I had to start paying it back, and my economy cooled down. Democrats don't pay back, they just spend more money we don't have for the near term and we pay the price for it in the near and long term.

The first thing they teach in Econ 101 is that politics in reality has zero effect on the economy. Both sides claim they can do this and that and take credit for the good and point fingers at the others for the bad but they’re both fos. If you track gdp over decades it has minor bumps along the way for disasters,’wars and so on and “quick fixes” can artificially stimulate growth for short times (ie stimulus checks) but it always plugs along at close the same rate no matter the president or which group of morons is “in charge”. These are the people blaming presidents for gas prices and hurricanes. The birth rate exceeds the death rate. We take in tens of millions of immigrants. More people means more demand on goods and services. More demand means more products. More products means more jobs and so on. That’s the engine.

when I was younger and sometimes became strapped for cash, I might borrow a wad of it. All of a sudden my personal economy became quite robust...but then I had to start paying it back, and my economy cooled down. Democrats don't pay back, they just spend more money we don't have for the near term and we pay the price for it in the near
The first thing they teach in Econ 101 is that politics in reality has zero effect on the economy. Both sides claim they can do this and that and take credit for the good and point fingers at the others for the bad but they’re both fos. If you track gdp over decades it has minor bumps along the way for disasters,’wars and so on and “quick fixes” can artificially stimulate growth for short times (ie stimulus checks) but it always plugs along at close the same rate no matter the president or which group of morons is “in charge”. These are the people blaming presidents for gas prices and hurricanes. The birth rate exceeds the death rate. We take in tens of millions of immigrants. More people means more demand on goods and services. More demand means more products. More products means more jobs and so on. That’s the engine.
I'm not believing a potus directs an economy. I believe they can bother or help an economy with certain decisions. Congress as well. I don't feel we are in a dem/pub issue. Usually inflation can stifle a growing economy. But from my trade, things are accelerating like crazy. It blows my mind.

Thought this was a pretting interesting article. Kind of explains why the lack of a workforce is having a small positive effect on the economy, at least in the short term. Of course, this is only one thing that can have an impact on the economy. Too many moving pieces to say , ________ is the reason why. I agree with what others have said about government having little power over the economy.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/15/economy/labor-force-retirement-great-resignation/index.html

Our county commissioners are steady approving new development. We have had 2 within 3 miles of my home. That's potential for 500 families to traverse my road. We are heavily congested already. 1 grocery store, a few restaurants (mainly tourist stops) and a 2 lane road to access the beach from the major highway. Our area isn't interested in commercial development, just residential. Seems they would do some studies about more rural residential areas switching to more metro style living. My county is already near maximum capacity with necessity items like doctors, grocery stores, etc.

I think it will become a major issue within a few more years. Commercial moves along slower than residential

Thought this was a pretting interesting article. Kind of explains why the lack of a workforce is having a small positive effect on the economy, at least in the short term. Of course, this is only one thing that can have an impact on the economy. Too many moving pieces to say , ________ is the reason why. I agree with what others have said about government having little power over the economy.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/15/economy/labor-force-retirement-great-resignation/index.html
I think to clarify it needs to be pointed out that government has little to do with the American economy LONG TERM. There are reasons for that, but the point is that you can't necessarily say the same for short-term effects. Politics can definitely have short term effects, and those effects are obscured when concentrating on the long term.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
I wonder how many people are gonna be underwater on their new home loans once prices come back down to a more realistic level.
they may level out in some parts of the country but i dont believe housing prices are going to drop back down to pre-Covid levels. i think where we are now is the 'new normal.'

Reactions: blazers
they may level out in some parts of the country but i dont believe housing prices are going to drop back down to pre-Covid levels. i think where we are now is the 'new normal.'
The banks dont loan money on vacant land anymore. This is keeping the prices back as well.

Reactions: gteeitup
We need better long term economic strategy in terms of future-proofing our economy. We should be rapidly expanding nuclear energy infrastructure, and ramping up incentives for domestic manufacturing, prioritizing products that reflect the direction that technology is headed. Microchips seem like an obvious place to start. Also, I would offer huge tax incentives for small businesses that employ people at wages above a certain threshold. Not a crazy number, but a dynamic one that can be adjusted for cost of living, inflation, etc.

With regards to real estate, I would expand the FHA lending program to increase the rate of first timers moving into home ownership. Lots of people get forced to rent apartments that cost more than the mortgage on a very nice 200-250k house. This would be a great tool to help lower to middle class people start to build some wealth.

We've dramatically increased the supply of money, and while inflation has been relatively higher than in recent history, it's still probably not proportional to the juicing up of the economy, especially during the earlier phases of covid. And it's also hard to know how much of the movement in prices is due to supply chain issues. But that increase in money means more demand and that's the driving force of economic activity. Another factor is that the unemployment supplement payments forced a lot of minimum wage types of places to dramatically up their pay. Now it's hard to hire people for much less than 15-16 bucks because even Micky D's will pay that. The people who make that level of income, aren't saving big chunks of their paychecks. They spend it back into the economy which juices up the engine just a little bit more.

We need better long term economic strategy in terms of future-proofing our economy. We should be rapidly expanding nuclear energy infrastructure, and ramping up incentives for domestic manufacturing, prioritizing products that reflect the direction that technology is headed. Microchips seem like an obvious place to start. Also, I would offer huge tax incentives for small businesses that employ people at wages above a certain threshold. Not a crazy number, but a dynamic one that can be adjusted for cost of living, inflation, etc.

With regards to real estate, I would expand the FHA lending program to increase the rate of first timers moving into home ownership. Lots of people get forced to rent apartments that cost more than the mortgage on a very nice 200-250k house. This would be a great tool to help lower to middle class people start to build some wealth.

We've dramatically increased the supply of money, and while inflation has been relatively higher than in recent history, it's still probably not proportional to the juicing up of the economy, especially during the earlier phases of covid. And it's also hard to know how much of the movement in prices is due to supply chain issues. But that increase in money means more demand and that's the driving force of economic activity. Another factor is that the unemployment supplement payments forced a lot of minimum wage types of places to dramatically up their pay. Now it's hard to hire people for much less than 15-16 bucks because even Micky D's will pay that. The people who make that level of income, aren't saving big chunks of their paychecks. They spend it back into the economy which juices up the engine just a little bit more.
Most of those jobs that are paying more are working with shorter staffs. Less people doing more work. Duke Energy let thousands go and changed their employees job description.
As for fast food, if they could field a complete staff, then it would be back to minimal wage. I say a Mickie d's yesterday with a $12 per hour sign. I would think that's a fair wage for that skill level.

Those jobs was most for teens a decade ago. The economy crashed, then adults took those jobs our of desperation. Many adults never left those jobs for some reason. Once things started moving again, there were jobs to be had. It seems there is so much more avaliable for young people now than when I was 20.

fwiw, props to all the mail carriers and package deliverers during this particular year…they are busting their ass and i’ve remembered to appreciate them.

shit is being bought and sold this year…had a guy in the jewelry business tell me yesterday that his business has been booming and right before gold is about to skyrocket(for some of you out there)…literally next week, ↗

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT