ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite songs and videos!

This is the reason I’m so thankful for this thread. I get to hear good music from artists that I’ve never had the opportunity to hear before. Thanks to everyone who have contributed and keep on poasting!
There's way too much music to listen to keep up with these days. That's a good thing. Some of my favorite bands are the kind you can see at small, intimate venues instead of huge stadiums or coliseums.

Here's a guy I've seen live dozens of times. He never hit it big enough for national notoriety despite being an obvious talent and playing some great straight-ahead rock and roll. I can't even find the album version on YouTube but here's a live performance that should suffice.

The Man Who Killed Love - Will Hoge

1gxuhh.jpg

This Russian group replicates early Chicago hits, as well as some other horn-based bands (EWF, Blood Sweat & Tears). The music is spot on, especially the horns. The vocals are close on the harmonies, but some lead vocals must be tough for a ruskie to sound American.

Even if you don't like Chicago, you gotta watch just for the female backup singer. She is absolutely stunning.

Last edited:
This Russian group replicates early Chicago hits, as well as some other horn-based bands (EWF, Blood Sweat & Tears). The music is spot on, especially the horns. The vocals are close on the harmonies, but some lead vocals must be tough for a ruskie to sound American.

Even if you don't like Chicago, you gotta watch just for the female backup singer. She is absolutely stunning.

I grew up on old Chicago. That was awesome.

Reactions: TarHeelMark
I grew up on old Chicago. That was awesome.
Yeah, I loved the early Chicago (Terry Kath era) stuff as well. This group has a ton of their songs on YouTube and they are all very well done.

And, even more impressively... the main dude - Leonid - deconstructs the original songs by ear, and then reconstructs each instrument, vocal, etc. It's really amazing.

Last edited:
Ok, one more... the horns are so perfect, I swear they pulled it from Chicago's master tapes.

And did I mention that the backup singer, Ksenia Buzina, is a smokeshow?

Great, now I've fallen down this rabbit hole. The horns and percussion on Call on Me are outstanding and your girl is looking like a snack.

King Crimson has had dozens of different lineups and this is one of my favorites. They've all played in so many other great bands.

Robert Fripp (Guitars) - Peter Gabriel, David Bowie, Brian Eno, Blondie
Adrian Belew (Guitars and Vocals) - Frank Zappa, David Bowie, Talking Heads
Tony Levin (Bass) - Peter Gabriel, John Lennon, Sarah McLachlan, Pink Floyd, Lou Reed, David Bowie, Tom Waits
Bill Bruford (Drums) - Yes, Genesis

Matte Kudesai - King Crimson

Reactions: HookUNC75
Big Star might be the most influential band you've never heard of. Their 1972 debut album "#1 Record" blazed a trail for several power pop and alternative rock acts that followed. They've been covered by the likes of R.E.M., Cheap Trick, The Bangles, Wilco, and of course The Replacements, who wrote a tribute song to Big Star guitarist and lead singer Alex Chilton.

The Ballad of El Goodo - Big Star

Big Star might be the most influential band you've never heard of. Their 1972 debut album "#1 Record" blazed a trail for several power pop and alternative rock acts that followed. They've been covered by the likes of R.E.M., Cheap Trick, The Bangles, Wilco, and of course The Replacements, who wrote a tribute song to Big Star guitarist and lead singer Alex Chilton.

The Ballad of El Goodo - Big Star

Older gents may remember “The Letter” by the Box Tops, also sung by Alex Chilton.

Older gents may remember “The Letter” by the Box Tops, also sung by Alex Chilton.

Here is the best version. TTB did a Mad Dogs and the Englishmen tribute at a few festivals and they used to cover that tune as well. Hopefully it makes it back into rotation at some point.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT