ADVERTISEMENT

FBI Trials start this week

Hey Dave.
Get ya popcorn ready... This gona be good.
I look for some really good stuff to hit the fan today!

Yeah, in addition to the drama of the season, I want to see if the media will harp on this like they harped on us for 6yrs over something that was outside of their enforcement scope? I believe that the media's constant harping about us over that long period of time did us more damage than anything else, it crafted negative opinion against us that hit directly at our hard earned positive reputation over many decades. IN other words, the media was weaponized against us, will that now happen to those proven rouge programs involved in this FBI sting, doubtful but we will see.

Actually I am a UNC basketball fan since '95 when I was 10 who lives in Missouri. I believe my first post mentioned where I was from and that I'm a Mizzou football fan and a UNC basketball fan. I can post pictures of all of my UNC apparel if that helps???

And if the mod would look at my posting history he would see I don't post a lot, but during games I get pissed off like most here when things aren't going good and congratulate on big wins. I have also posted other times and never once could anything be misconstrued as not loving UNC. I love following the team on here and lurking mostly because y'all know more about the program and live closer and have a better overall knowledge of the program.

My reason for posting that Twitter link was because I thought it was news and we could actually discuss it. I had no idea that was a bannable offense and still don't understand it. On the paid rivals Mizzou board I'm on no one would have batted an eye about a post like that. We would have just talked about it. So my apologies. Hopefully a mod can review my other posting history and undo my ban please.

Good thing for you that I am not a mod.

Yeah, in addition to the drama of the season, I want to see if the media will harp on this like they harped on us for 6yrs over something that was outside of their enforcement scope? I believe that the media's constant harping about us over that long period of time did us more damage than anything else, it crafted negative opinion against us that hit directly at our hard earned positive reputation over many decades. IN other words, the media was weaponized against us, will that now happen to those proven rouge programs involved in this FBI sting, doubtful but we will see.
Good luck in this. The media is already spinning it in such a way that they have people believing it's the norm, even though lest than 5% of the college's partake in this debauchery

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Good luck in this. The media is already spinning it in such a way that they have people believing it's the norm, even though lest than 5% of the college's partake in this debauchery
Yep. Classic "both-siderism". Instead of calling out the real culprits, they act like "oh, everyone does it".
And when that happens the real culprits skate.

Kinda like how they never mentioned that many programs offer classes that not only are restricted to athletes, but are taught by coaches and give credit for just going to practice and games. Yet our legitimate class that was open to all students and required real work to pass was "fake"! Paper classes have been part of University life since the beginning. Ngoro and his cronies were crooks, but the class was real!

I don't expect it, but it sure would be nice if they had the journalistic integrity (if this is still a thing) to at least cover this scandal in the same way our trumped up charges were covered! Spin is the exact opposite of journalism!

Good thing for you that I am not a mod.
Because I was born in Missouri, live in Missouri and root for the football team of my state? I've been a Tar Heel basketball fan longer than I've been a Mizzou football fan. I also freely admit where my allegiances are and I don't look at or post on the football board here.

Because I was born in Missouri, live in Missouri and root for the football team of my state? I've been a Tar Heel basketball fan longer than I've been a Mizzou football fan. I also freely admit where my allegiances are and I don't look at or post on the football board here.
Do you man there are so many people here who only root for bball that almost no one can say anything to you. I happen to root for all things UNC even squash... But alas there are not many of 100% heels

Do you man there are so many people here who only root for bball that almost no one can say anything to you. I happen to root for all things UNC even squash... But alas there are not many of 100% heels
Appreciate it man! I have two kids and they both were given Tar Heels sleepers by me when they were born. Before we left the hospital when they were born I have pictures with me and them in tar heel gear. Been a passion of mine for so long I'm not stressing if someone doesn't like who I root for in football. And believe me my Mizzou friends dont like who I root for in basketball.

I think the media will be able to present some normalcy until the other trials kick off and coaches are held to the torch. Right now even though specific programs are mentioned its relatively broad brushed.

Kinda like how they never mentioned that many programs offer classes that not only are restricted to athletes, but are taught by coaches and give credit for just going to practice and games. Yet our legitimate class that was open to all students and required real work to pass was "fake"! Paper classes have been part of University life since the beginning. Ngoro and his cronies were crooks, but the class was real!

I don't expect it, but it sure would be nice if they had the journalistic integrity (if this is still a thing) to at least cover this scandal in the same way our trumped up charges were covered! Spin is the exact opposite of journalism!

The UNC Journalism School is one of the most respected in the nation and most certainly teaches journalistic integrity.

The UNC Basketball Program, while admired and respected by many, has, due to it's success, created a shitstorm of envy and outright jealousy not just in the media theatre, but also among current & former coaches who could not sniff at the kind of success we as a program have enjoyed over many, many years.

As you may or may not be aware, many, especially former coaches and commentators had plenty to say about how terrible it was that we created a fake class to keep our student athletes eligible. Many pundits were calling for the death penalty, at the very least, major sanctions against our program.

What that one eyed pitiful excuse for a color commentator (you know who I'm talking about) said still infuriates me. What one former coach who is now a talking head commentator said also infuriated me. He is so envious of ours & Roy's success that he spoke what turned out to be a vomit of lies in efforts to cause injury to our program, and it did in both referenced instances.
Even after the NCAA admitted and agreed with us that the issue was not an athletic one, but an academic one, all the haters out there insisted on publishing the narrative they created to get readership, follower hits, and
sell papers. Dan Kane of the News and Observer is an idiot. But he sold papers spewing out lie after lie as certifiable truth and the haters ate it up.
And a host of other journalists and commentators followed suit.

Which brings me to this: Negative recruiting. UNC was subjected to the most scorching abuse of truths by any coach that was competing against us for recruits.
1. The Dark Lord in Durham
2. Bill "rag top" Self
3. The entire staff @ Arizona
4. Gottfired @ State
5. The entire staff @ Virginia
6. Bielien @ Michigan

And there are others.

While I admit that the African studies course was not challenging, it did have the approval of the University.
Look, any of us that have been fortunate enough to have gone to college and played a sport understand and appreciate easy credit hours.
Every Division 1 college has these and some have even less requirements or no requirements other than being a varsity player.

At the end of the day, what has caused all the turmoil is pure jealousy.

Last edited:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with this and I fall in the same boat with a very similar situation.

Reactions: UNCHoops84
The UNC Journalism School is one of the most respected in the nation and most certainly teaches journalistic integrity.

The UNC Basketball Program, while admired and respected by many, has, due to it's success, created a shitstorm of envy and outright jealousy not just in the media theatre, but also among current & former coaches who could not sniff at the kind of success we as a program have enjoyed over many, many years.

As you may or may not be aware, many, especially formers coaches and commentators had plenty to say about how terrible it was that we created a fake class to keep our student athletes eligible. Many pundits were calling for the death penalty, at the very least, major sanctions against our program.

What that one eyed pitiful excuse for a color commentator (you know who I'm talking about) said still infuriates me. What one former coach who is now a talking head commentator said also infuriated me. He is so envious of ours & Roy's success that he spoke what turned out to be a vomit of lies in efforts to cause injury to our program, and it did in both referenced instances.
Even after the NCAA admitted and agreed with us that the issue was not an athletic one, but an academic one, all the haters out there insisted on publishing the narrative they created to get readership, follower hits, and
sell papers. Dan Kane of the News and Observer is an idiot. But he sold papers spewing out lie after lie as certifiable truth and the haters ate it up.
And a host of other journalists and commentators followed suit.

Which brings me to this: Negative recruiting. UNC was subjected to the most scorching abuse of truths by any coach that was competing against us for recruits.
1. The Dark Lord in Durham
2. Bill "rag top" Self
3. The entire staff @ Arizona
4. Gottfired @ State
5. The entire staff @ Virginia
6. Bielien @ Michigan

And there are others.

While I admit that the African studies course was not challenging, it did have the approval of the University.
Look, any of us that have been fortunate enough to have gone to college and played a sport understand and appreciate easy credit hours.
Every Division 1 college has these and some have even less requirements or no requirements other than being a varsity player.

At the end of the day, what has caused all the turmoil is pure jealousy.
75, thou art speaking much truth here.

While we certainly appreciate your fandom, it's college athletics.

I feel like there's something inherently disloyal about rocking your Jordan jersey everytime we reach the final four, but openly professing your bromance for a SEC school in football.

Don't you think some people might wonder what's going on there?

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...ng-amateurs/46zvfKp1awQlxvVG8EWyTI/story.html

Gassnola also helps some of his players choose colleges, as he did last year with former Lynn Tech star Antonio Anderson. With several top Division 1 teams pursuing him, Anderson selected Memphis, whose coach, John Calipari, Gassnola considers a close friend.

“I’d take a bullet for the guy,” Gassnola says.

Calipari’s assistant, Derek Kellogg, has been Gassnola’s best friend since they attended Cathedral High School together in Springfield.

“I told Antonio, `You need to go to a place where you’re comfortable, with people I know, because I can’t call [North Carolina coach] Roy Williams, but I can call Cal,’ “ Gassnola says. Calipari and Kellogg did not respond to interview requests.

I feel like there's something inherently disloyal about rocking your Jordan jersey everytime we reach the final four, but openly professing your bromance for a SEC school in football.

Nothing wrong with that whatsoever. People all over the country grow up UNC Baskeball fans, most of whom never attend UNC. And in-state the identity and loyalty is strong and concentrated. That speaks well for the image and brand Dean created and Roy continues.

The NC side of my family growing up lived and breathed UNC hoops even though none had the means to even attend college. Watching/listening to games was a family ritual, and I grew up dreaming of playing at Carolina but wasn't good enough to earn a UNC offer so I played elsewhere. I also have a grad degree from Auburn, so I pull for AU football. Nonetheless, when it comes to basketball I still live and die with my Heels.

Nothing wrong with that whatsoever. People all over the country grow up UNC Baskeball fans, most of whom never attend UNC. And in-state the identity and loyalty is strong and concentrated. That speaks well for the image and brand Dean created and Roy continues.

The NC side of my family growing up lived and breathed UNC hoops even though none had the means to even attend college. Watching/listening to games was a family ritual, and I grew up dreaming of playing at Carolina but wasn't good enough to earn a UNC offer so I played elsewhere. I also have a grad degree from Auburn, so I pull for AU football. Nonetheless, when it comes to basketball I still live and die with my Heels.

I appreciate your opinion.

GO WAR EAGLES!!!!

Reactions: gary-7
Damn right it's sad. Without arguing about who loves the college game the most, as there are many, I have a particular interest in college basketball, as I worked my ass off to play the sport at it's highest level, and while there were renegades working the sport when I played, they were known and we were cautioned and spoken to on a regular basis to avoid these individuals.
And I can say that we did so to a larger extent. The game seemed to have been cleaner or purer, so to peak.

We all can mourn about how dirty the system has become, but...,we have to realize at the same time money and the demand for all programs to win
has had the single largest negative affect. Think about that, think about the huge sums of money that is being generated by mens' basketball. Everyone wanting a slice of the pie whether or not they are entitled to it.

I hate to go Biblical on this...., but, it is so true.
Money is NOT the root of all evil... It's the LOVE of money that produces evils that we see in Collegiate Basketball.

Ok, I'm off my stupid soapbox.

I would suggest everyone listen to my friend Tarheel75, he is legit.

Not a particular Auburn fan. I have a good friend that graduated from there.

I am however, a fan of any institution that can kick Lou Saban and Ala-damn-bama's ass.

Reactions: Archer2
Guilty dogs barking all day up at the trial. Loved the quote for a kid to go "where he is comfortable where handler has a solid contact, not like Roy or UNC but a guy like Cal at UK".

As to the post above the toothless cousins of Ala over in Athens, Ga may give them a game this season, perhaps not, we'll see. :D

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...says-college-basketball-actually-pretty-clean

Exactly K should do standup comedy.

In the piece... is he taking a jab at Roy with Cam and other grad transfers to UNC

Yeah, he's doing that. The reason? Most grad transfer guys are smart enough to not get involved with him and his program, and.....they might just talk too much once they leave, as they have not been indoctrinated with his BS.

Oh, and let me add, he basically cannot control these types by threats and scare tactics.

We go live to the Duke coaching staff for comment:

tumblr_nj75y6ui4A1s2wio8o1_500.gif

"Guys have lost jobs because their two best players who were going to return are grad transfers," he told ESPN. "Instead of 'That's my NCAA team,' now it's my 8-22 team. That has happened. I'm more concerned about that kinda stuff than the stuff in New York. I think that's a little sensationalism."

I mean, in a way I agree that it can suck for the coaches, but they earned it by graduating. It does kind of make then farm schools though. K himself is not against trying to add grad transfers as they went after one or two last off-season also.

Reactions: GoNtheDistance
"Guys have lost jobs because their two best players who were going to return are grad transfers," he told ESPN. "Instead of 'That's my NCAA team,' now it's my 8-22 team. That has happened. I'm more concerned about that kinda stuff than the stuff in New York. I think that's a little sensationalism."

I mean, in a way I agree that it can suck for the coaches, but they earned it by graduating. It does kind of make then farm schools though. K himself is not against trying to add grad transfers as they went after one or two last off-season also.

Key phrase: They went after.
Too much out there about him and his program to get grad transfers at this point. He has to find a gullible one first.

Last edited:
Last edited:

I could give a shit bout Carolina football. Lol
Sorry, but they don't move the needle much for me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT