ADVERTISEMENT

Fuking touristas

heelmanwilm

Hall of Famer
May 26, 2005
Wilmington NC
So we’re at the beach yesterday against my better judgement (it’s kinda like going out drinking on New Year’s Eve, Nothing but amateurs). Now keep in mind there’s already been nearly 200 water rescues and one drowning in a 3 mi stretch of beach since Fri. Conditions have been rough and rip tides are bad. So the 17ish year old girl lifeguard (would) has the red flag up and keeps having to tell the same 7 something year olds to not go out past their waist. And it’s obvious there’s a rip roaring rip current right where they’re going in. Well mamma karen ain’t having none of that. She finally storms up to the lifeguard stand and starts yelling and berating the poor girl telling her to leave her kids alone and she will be the one deciding how far they can go in. This goes back and forth until….right on cue….one of the girls gets sucked out and is dog paddling with her face barely out of the water with waves pummeling her. The guard has to literally shove the clueless still hollering Karen out of the way to go rescue her kid. (Who thankfully was fine) The Karen never even thanked the lifeguard. Just scolded her daughter for going out too far then packed up and stormed off the beach. Everyone cheered as she left. Someone yelled “go back to Ohio”. She prob fed the sea gulls later.

I can oblige you, but my story (stories) happened 30 years ago and... unfortunately, it was always Myrtle Beach.
Was thinking more about pictures. But not of anyone here. Pics of the tourist. Female tourist, just to clarify. No men. NTTAWWT

ETA: And the hate for Myrtle is overblown. It's certainly not a top 10 worldwide beach, but a lot of people say it's bad just because it's cool to say it's bad.

Was thinking more about pictures. But not of anyone here. Pics of the tourist. Female tourist, just to clarify. No men. NTTAWWT

ETA: And the hate for Myrtle is overblown. It's certainly not a top 10 worldwide beach, but a lot of people say it's bad just because it's cool to say it's bad.
Nah... It's pretty bad.

Better than being a resident of Hilton Head. Hilton Head is overrated!!!

Nah... It's pretty bad.
Nah. It's just cool to hate. It's one of those things that get so popular that you want to do the opposite of what everyone else does. Then people say, wow I want to be like that guy because he doesn't care what people like. It's way too crowded in certain spots though. The best way to do it is to stay at Cherry Grove and then just go to Myrtle for all the other stuff at night.

Nah. It's just cool to hate. It's one of those things that get so popular that you want to do the opposite of what everyone else does. Then people say, wow I want to be like that guy because he doesn't care what people like. It's way too crowded in certain spots though. The best way to do it is to stay at Cherry Grove and then just go to Myrtle for all the other stuff at night.
I lived there, or near there, for almost 8 years... it was a Walmart by the sea. It has gotten better since I left in 95. Maybe I was the problem.

I lived there, or near there, for almost 8 years... it was a Walmart by the sea. It has gotten better since I left in 95. Maybe I was the problem.
I think people who live in a big tourist spot always have a different view of the place than the tourist do. Tourist get to have all the fun on vacation at the beach once a year and then go back to their dull life. The people who live there can't have fun at the beach and go back to a dull life.

I think people who live in a big tourist spot always have a different view of the place than the tourist do. Tourist get to have all the fun on vacation at the beach once a year and then go back to their dull life. The people who live there can't have fun at the beach and go back to a dull life.
Miniature golf and 2-hour waits for seafood... and the mobs of people everywhere...never seemed like relaxing to me.

When I lived in Murrell's Inlet and Pawleys Island, it was better.

Reactions: blazers
Miniature golf and 2-hour waits for seafood... and the mobs of people everywhere...never seemed like relaxing to me.
It's worth the wait for a lot of people. If it wasn't, then there would be no wait. Like I said earlier, the biggest issue is the crowds which is why you stay in Cherry Grove and do the extra stuff at Myrtle. It's all about proper planning. Same thing for any vacation, not just the beach. I understand why people who live at tourist spots hate them, though. Having people constantly come and go with their goal being to do as much as possible instead of relaxing would no doubt irritate me.

ETA: and a lot of the fun stuff really does get old. Same thing happened to me in Atlanta. You live at a place where it seems like there is a lot of things to do, it eventually becomes a place where there isn't a lot to do.

um, it’s awful…there isn’t even a “best place to stay” anymore…when i say anymore, i mean twenty years.

and creeping up on that beach in this state is folly and i never thought that would happen.

Reactions: NoseButt
It's worth the wait for a lot of people. If it wasn't, then there would be no wait. Like I said earlier, the biggest issue is the crowds which is why you stay in Cherry Grove and do the extra stuff at Myrtle. It's all about proper planning. Same thing for any vacation, not just the beach. I understand why people who live at tourist spots hate them, though. Having people constantly come and go with their goal being to do as much as possible instead of relaxing would no doubt irritate me.

ETA: and a lot of the fun stuff really does get old. Same thing happened to me in Atlanta. You live at a place where it seems like there is a lot of things to do, it eventually becomes a place where there isn't a lot to do.
So much has changed in MB since I left in 1995. I barely recognized it about 2 years ago. They have the super highway around it. And, so much has come and gone in the interim. The year I left, BAB had basically just opened and I think they had a Planet Hollywood, too. They try to polish it up, but it's always that big Wings/Eagles store by the sea, to me. You go south and they don't even allow ANY neon signage at all. And, they don't allow any Eagles/Wings beachwear stores. I lived in Garden City the longest, and it was... tolerable. But, after a while, full-time at at edge of the ocean is boring. Not to mention, I was sick of Hurricanes.

um, it’s awful…there isn’t even a “best place to stay” anymore…when i say anymore, i mean twenty years.

and creeping up on that beach in this state is folly and i never thought that would happen.
I've said multiple times not to go to the beach during the day. Thanks for agreeing with me.

So much has changed in MB since I left in 1995. I barely recognized it about 2 years ago. They have the super highway around it. And, so much has come and gone in the interim. The year I left, BAB had basically just opened and I think they had a Planet Hollywood, too. They try to polish it up, but it's always that big Wings/Eagles store by the sea, to me. You go south and they don't even allow ANY neon signage at all. And, they don't allow any Eagles/Wings beachwear stores. I lived in Garden City the longest, and it was... tolerable. But, after a while, full-time at at edge of the ocean is boring. Not to mention, I was sick of Hurricanes.
I have no doubt I would hate all of that if I lived there, but seeing that once a year has no effect on me. I'll even stop in a wings just to see what kind of dumb stuff they have. I remember people saying to me how great it must be to live in Atlanta. They would start listing off all these fun things there are to do that they want to do, things I avoid because of tourist and because I'm tired of doing it. In my head I'm thinking about the horrible traffic and busy airport. It's a completely different state of mind.

To be clear, I would rather still be in the Atlanta area instead of back in Raleigh. You can work around the tourist issue, because it's not a complete tourist town and it still has a relatively low COL. But I would never live at the beach for the reasons you listed.

bought a condo in surfside in the mid 2000’s and stayed in it three times in twelve years…first floor of a three floor unit and it was only a block to river city cafe, so perfect spot…we thought that was tolerable in 2005 because it was still quiet and not developed, even to the extent of garden city.

we aren’t buffet people anyway, but to stand in a line to eat is not a vacation destination check the box item.

I'm going to assume this chick is a tourist.

84956953.jpg

I have no doubt I would hate all of that if I lived there, but seeing that once a year has no effect on me. I'll even stop in a wings just to see what kind of dumb stuff they have. I remember people saying to me how great it must be to live in Atlanta. They would start listing off all these fun things there are to do that they want to do, things I avoid because of tourist and because I'm tired of doing it. In my head I'm thinking about the horrible traffic and busy airport. It's a completely different state of mind.

To be clear, I would rather still be in the Atlanta area instead of back in Raleigh. You can work around the tourist issue, because it's not a complete tourist town and it still has a relatively low COL. But I would never live at the beach for the reasons you listed.
I wouldn't want to live in ATL, either. There might be a handful of suburbs that might be okay... but, they will eventually get swallowed-up. My cousin started in Smyrna in the early 80s, then Kennesaw, now, retired in... drum-roll... Jasper!

ATL is interesting, though. It has a really cool history. Six Flags isn't the main attraction. Tourists are there to visit Stone Mountain, everyone knows that. ;)o_O

I was dating a girl few years back that lived in midtown (Sky House), and I was amazed at how you could live down there and it's like Tribeca or Greenwich Village. You can walk to everything. If you work in that area...and, she did... you barely need a car!

When I was a kid, and went down to MB with my grandparents, and we camped at Lakewood Campground, every April... it was different. But, it was also far more barren. It's hard to believe how the landscape was completely different in the 70s. We stayed in the campground for almost the entire trip. Damn... that was fun. Paddle boats, the arcade, the BEACH... bike-riding all over the campground. Thanks @heelmanwilm for starting this thread. I needed that recollection!

I'm going to assume this chick is a tourist.

84956953.jpg
THAT is a fuking tourista, no doubt about it. Good job following those unwritten rules about posting a pic if you mention what we all want a picture of, which you did.

Myrtle is a tourist shithole since they started bring in all the razmataz years ago. Still, I've had a lot of fun on golf trips there although I prefer the mountains for golf much more.

When Myrtle Beach was really a cool place was way back when, before they went crazy with all the so-called attractions. I would sometimes drive down from the Raleigh area all by myself because I knew where the fun was, and that was North Myrtle. Lots of good times.

uh oh, Folly is starting to suck? I haven't been there in two decades. I loved that place but just haven't made it back.

uh oh, Folly is starting to suck? I haven't been there in two decades. I loved that place but just haven't made it back.
it was great in the 90’s…reminded me a lot of duck or southern shores on the obx, now it has a litchfield vibe which is also crowded af.

• Sad
Reactions: blazers
That’s a wrightsville beach tourist this is more Carolina beach
sexy pig GIF
When I lived in Charlotte in the late '90s, my ex and I would go to Ocean Isle Beach. That one seemed sort of removed from the hectic, traditional tourist crap. Has that been overrun and swallowed up?

When I lived in Charlotte in the late '90s, my ex and I would go to Ocean Isle Beach. That one seemed sort of removed from the hectic, traditional tourist crap. Has that been overrun and swallowed up?
even before then when I was a kid, we vacationed at Holden Beach several years. It was awesome, because you could stand on the beach and just see a beach house off in the distance in either direction. Almost no one on the beach, every kind of seashell imaginable and in pristine condition. Can't imagine what it's like now.

even before then when I was a kid, we vacationed at Holden Beach several years. It was awesome, because you could stand on the beach and just see a beach house off in the distance in either direction. Almost no one on the beach, every kind of seashell imaginable and in pristine condition. Can't imagine what it's like now.
we were there in 2018 and it was good…that bridge to get over there isn’t easy.

Reactions: bluetoe
we were there in 2018 and it was good…that bridge to get over there isn’t easy.
I revisited some years ago and I think you're talking about the bridge looking scary. It does, but it isn't as bad as it looks.

You want a scary bridge, cross the New River Gorge on whatever highway it is in West Virginia. The bridge where they do all the bungee jumping. I literally would rather bungee jump from it than drive over it.

Reactions: gteeitup
I revisited some years ago and I think you're talking about the bridge looking scary. It does, but it isn't as bad as it looks.

You want a scary bridge, cross the New River Gorge on whatever highway it is in West Virginia. The bridge where they do all the bungee jumping. I literally would rather bungee jump from it than drive over it.
fuk nozzz…i know what you’re talking about…but yes, that two lane bridge looked scary as a first time visitor to holden.

my oldest is doing an internship in va beach and he visits his girlfriend regularly and has to go through that tunnel in hampton roads on the way and i couldn’t even do that haha…and i’m not even claustrophobic, it’s just the idea of that section of road.

That's hwy 19, the little town of Summersville is the speed trap capitol of the world....

fuk nozzz…i know what you’re talking about…but yes, that two lane bridge looked scary as a first time visitor to holden.

my oldest is doing an internship in va beach and he visits his girlfriend regularly and has to go through that tunnel in hampton roads on the way and i couldn’t even do that haha…and i’m not even claustrophobic, it’s just the idea of that section of road.
I've had the pleasure of that tunnel as well as the one going through Baltimore on 95, many many times on the latter. When I first had to drive the tunnel in Baltimore, it gave me a creepy feeling and I couldn't wait to get through to the other end. Now I look forward to it and I have thoughts that it would be cool if all highways could be in underground tunnels.

Heights are my bane, and if a bridge is really high and with not much of a guardrail, it freaks me out....sometimes seriously. There are bridges I've seen on the interwebs that I wouldn't drive across at gunpoint.

images

seriouisly?

• Wow
That's hwy 19, the little town of Summersville is the speed trap capitol of the world....
I don't remember Summersville but if I ever get back up that way, I'll be watching out. Thanks for the heads up.

Here's another tip. The worst speed trap I've encountered is in Raleigh at the dam on Lake Wheeler road. 45 down to 35 and you can't see the 35 sign, and there's no reduced speed sign either, AND it's downhill. Hwy Patrol work it like a gang of thieves. I get along well with cops for the most part and especially State Troopers. But they made me mad as hell with this trick. There were two of them, each working his own end of the 35 zone.

Living in SE NC for most of my life, I can give an update on this area.
Ocean Isle is a great spot for vacation, as is Holden. Decarol Williams built Ocean Isle with more modern things in the 70 s and 80s to attempt to draw tourist from Myrtle Beach. You can see the houses on the island look modern compared to Holden Beach. The main land owners at Holden attempted to keep it more of a family beach, rather than draw hugh crowds. Holden is behind in the modern look, although its catching up. Gaining access to Holden on check in day is a miserable thing, for tourist as well as locals. Ocean Isle is hard as well, but they have better roads leading in and out. The beauty of these beaches is short drive to Myrtle. THe reality of Myrtle Beach is a gimiky tourist trap. Over crowded beaches. Back in the 80's and 90's, the boulevard was the hot spot. You could cruze with a cam corder and see all the lady parts a teen could handle. Now they will arrest you for cruising. Its over run with homeless and addicts as well. My brother lived on the streets for 8 years down there. Just in south beach alone he says there are at least 1000 homeless within a 2 mile stretch.
THere is also a rise in gang related activity with cartels driving it.

But living were I do, I have tolorated the busy season, knowing I can build homes and renovate what they destroy and live decent. Plus I can fish almost anytime I wish

• Wow
Living in SE NC for most of my life, I can give an update on this area.
Ocean Isle is a great spot for vacation, as is Holden. Decarol Williams built Ocean Isle with more modern things in the 70 s and 80s to attempt to draw tourist from Myrtle Beach. You can see the houses on the island look modern compared to Holden Beach. The main land owners at Holden attempted to keep it more of a family beach, rather than draw hugh crowds. Holden is behind in the modern look, although its catching up. Gaining access to Holden on check in day is a miserable thing, for tourist as well as locals. Ocean Isle is hard as well, but they have better roads leading in and out. The beauty of these beaches is short drive to Myrtle. THe reality of Myrtle Beach is a gimiky tourist trap. Over crowded beaches. Back in the 80's and 90's, the boulevard was the hot spot. You could cruze with a cam corder and see all the lady parts a teen could handle. Now they will arrest you for cruising. Its over run with homeless and addicts as well. My brother lived on the streets for 8 years down there. Just in south beach alone he says there are at least 1000 homeless within a 2 mile stretch.
THere is also a rise in gang related activity with cartels driving it.

But living were I do, I have tolorated the busy season, knowing I can build homes and renovate what they destroy and live decent. Plus I can fish almost anytime I wish
had no idea about the homeless issues…whoa

Sex trafficking, prostitution, drug houses

He has some stories to tell about those resorts in the winter.
The motels near southbeach, are filled with homeless in the winter. Pimps will rent rooms out for each girl. He even knew a female pimp. Alot of the violence stays out of the media to protect the areas image. North Myrtle is a much safer option, but less glamour than Myrtle. I would imagine its the same at any tourist spot these days. I know O-town is filled with much of the same.

I can't speak for anyone else, but to me restricted access to the beaches, for anything but just being on them, is a very good thing. All the loud noise and colored lighst goo-ga is ugly enough by itself and then it only attracts the drooling idiots who ruin everything.

I don't fault developers or anyone else for wanting to make a buck somehow, but we don't allow bucks to be made in just any way possible. We have laws against robbing banks, for example. There should likewise be some restraint on robbing us of our finer coastal enjoyment. Let South Carolina have the unrestrained overdevelopment and the trash that goes with it. Just sayin'.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT