ADVERTISEMENT

Get Back!

'My Sweet Lord' might very well have borrowed from that song 'He's So Fine' which is itself a nice tune, but he elevates it into something I never get tired of hearing, especially if I'm in the right mood for it. It's just majestic. He's the one Beatle that I took seriously, that could have taken them in a direction I would have appreciated.

You can hear his influence in traveling Wilburys which to me is just musical genius. What a collection of talent.

Layla, Wonderful Tonight, Something.
I'm embarrassed to say I'm not sure I knew that this was about her. Good tune though, and I guess there must have been 'something' about her that made Clapton go hound on her. Wonder what it was.

You can hear his influence in traveling Wilburys which to me is just musical genius. What a collection of talent.
I agree wholeheartedly. I wish there would be more eclectic collections of musicians forming groups like the Travelling Willburys. Just wonderful stuff. Plus in addition to the icons, they used top-drawer session drummer Jim Keltner. God must have had a hand in putting these guys together...he also evidently had a hand in taking them back out.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
'My Sweet Lord' might very well have borrowed from that song 'He's So Fine' which is itself a nice tune, but he elevates it into something I never get tired of hearing, especially if I'm in the right mood for it. It's just majestic. He's the one Beatle that I took seriously, that could have taken them in a direction I would have appreciated.
interesting
so underrated, imo…for me, i wasn’t a huge fan of them individually, but they as a group are regularly played in this house…weird

Reactions: heelmanwilm
There is a spot where Paul says he had written over a hundred songs by the time he was fifteen
I think I remember he said that of all those songs, Love Me Do was the only one that made it to being worthy of recording.

One After 909 and I Dig A Pony were both songs that John Lennon had written (or had partially written) about 8 or 10 years before the Let It Be sessions, I think.

I've already rewatched this a couple times. While the split screen stuff is cool, I wish there was an edit of just the lads playing, without any chatter from the crowd.

The old lady bitching about her nap at 16:20 is hilarious. Very Monty Python-esque.
I've seen a few film versions of the rooftop performance, uncut... at least, I think it was uncut. I had an old buddy who died about 7 years ago who had hundreds of DVDs from who-knows-where, and one was the Apple rooftop concert. It showed the police and everything.

I think she likely inspired Bell Bottom Blues, too.

all of these songs were supposedly written about her...
  • For You Blue - The Beatles
  • I Need You - The Beatles
  • It's All Too Much - The Beatles
  • Something - The Beatles
  • Layla - Derek & the Dominos
  • Bell Bottom Blues - Derek & the Dominos
  • Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad - Derek & the Dominos
  • Wonderful Tonight - Eric Clapton
  • She's Waiting - Eric Clapton
  • Old Love - Eric Clapton

Reactions: HookUNC75
all of these songs were supposedly written about her...
  • For You Blue - The Beatles
  • I Need You - The Beatles
  • It's All Too Much - The Beatles
  • Something - The Beatles
  • Layla - Derek & the Dominos
  • Bell Bottom Blues - Derek & the Dominos
  • Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad - Derek & the Dominos
  • Wonderful Tonight - Eric Clapton
  • She's Waiting - Eric Clapton
  • Old Love - Eric Clapton
It’s All Too Much is one not about her. It’s one of my favorite Beatles songs that gets no love so I have done some reading on it.

It’s about the excess of LSD. Basically how you can go out and do all these drugs then come home and be a civilized person. He’s called it a celebration of LSD but it’s also about how prevalent it was in 67.

I wish this was on Sgt Peppers instead of his Within You, both written around the same time.

It’s All Too Much is one not about her. It’s one of my favorite Beatles songs that gets no love so I have done some reading on it.

It’s about the excess of LSD. Basically how you can go out and do all these drugs then come home and be a civilized person. He’s called it a celebration of LSD but it’s also about how prevalent it was in 67.

I wish this was on Sgt Peppers instead of his Within You, both written around the same time.
Yeah, I pulled that list from the interwebs, so I made sure to say "supposedly". Pattie was cute as hell, so no doubt that she inspired most of those tunes. Like you said, some of the best from George and Eric.

Hey man, I'm gonna DM you. We have a lot to discuss offline... :D haha!

• Haha
Reactions: dadika13

"All the world is a birthday cake. So, take a slice, but not too much."

Great song.

Reactions: dadika13
It's all too much, it's all too much

When I look into your eyes, your love is there for me
And the more I go inside, the more there is to see

It's all too much for me to take
The love that's shining all around you
Everywhere, it's what you make
For us to take, it's all too much

Floating down the stream of time, of life to life with me
Makes no difference where you are or where you'd like to be

The love that's shining all around here
All the world's a birthday cake
So take a piece but not too much

Set me on a silver sun, for I know that I'm free
Show me that I'm everywhere, and get me home for tea

It's all to much for me to see
A love that's shining all around here
The more I am, the less I know
And what I do is all too much

The love that's shining all around you
Everywhere, it's what you make

For us to take, it's all too much

My first takeaway, and it almost seems silly to say this, but it's crazy to see how tight these guys were as a band even when they were just goofing around. There are so many times when they are just messing around and boom the whole band jumps in for like ten seconds and then they all stop together too. It's like watching people have a conversation but with strings and a drum kit.

I always regarded The Beatles as the greatest songwriting band of all time. And I knew the story of them playing 8-10 hour gigs together until they got insanely good. But their musical connection was on a completely different level.

2nd takeaway is Yoko's voice is the aural equivalent of listening to cats be murdered.

Last edited:
Reactions: TarHeelMark
i wouldn’t have even linked the two songs until you posted…now i can’t stop listening to those two songs, or all beatles for that matter…good ear!!

ran a race this morning with just five beatles songs on my playlist, a first.
my ear is OK but you might not be aware that Harrison was sued over the similarity, and the lawsuit was famously publicized. The story is interesting, check it out. Meanwhile, this might save you some time making the comparison...

Reactions: gteeitup
my ear is OK but you might not be aware that Harrison was sued over the similarity, and the lawsuit was famously publicized. The story is interesting, check it out. Meanwhile, this might save you some time making the comparison...

I once read that all melodies are covers. They all draw from the writers experience and it’s amazing how many are similar and you don’t realize it. Werewolves of London and sweet home Alabama is a good one.

Reactions: bluetoe
I once read that all melodies are covers. They all draw from the writers experience and it’s amazing how many are similar and you don’t realize it. Werewolves of London and sweet home Alabama is a good one.
D to C to G is used in thousands of songs.

D to C to G is used in thousands of songs.
Thought this was pretty interesting. He basically says there are just a few people in power who have decided that is the way music should be written. Since they have all the power, that's exactly how it's written.

Thought this was pretty interesting. He basically says there are just a few people in power who have decided that is the way music should be written. Since they have all the power, that's exactly how it's written.

Beato is in Atlanta!

The Beatles mixed-it-up a lot. They had a lot of chords and changes that are pretty unique. They were just incredible songwriters. They were a song factory. But, they were not musical technicians, really. It's pretty amazing from watching the Get Back film that John and George were not great "solo" guitarists, especially John. Lennon would even say "I'm a 'rhythmer', I don't play solos." And George would comment about how Eric Clapton could solo endlessly and he couldn't do that. But, George's solos in Beatles' songs are some of the most lyrical and most memorable solos in pop music history. Most of his solos are short and not technically difficult to play or replicate, but they're lyrical. People who have no idea how to play guitar can sing his solos along with the songs. And, George was one of the most prolific slide guitar players ever. His slide work is so unique. "My Sweet Lord" is a great example. It's not bluesy, it's not rock'n'roll or country... it's just George Harrison!

In the same discussion as the "same chords over and over" theme; it kinda reminds me of Chuck Berry's songs. And, I don't mean that he consciously had the same motivation, in his prime, as the video you shared. But, Chuck Berry's songs were really just three songs with different lyrics that were applied and became at least ten times that many.

Reactions: Archer2

is this an example of what he's talking about? I don't know the chords by ear or otherwise.

I'm still working through part 1...

One observation on the infamous George/Paul fight (with the "I'll play however you want") is that Lennon is high as a freaking kite on heroin during this. Normally he would have had some level of input but he was a snort or two away from full on head down high.

Today is the anniversary of Lennon’s death. I remember well watching mnf with my dad and howard cosell’s “dead on arrival” dramatic pause announcement of the news

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT