ADVERTISEMENT

Has any Carolina player in the last 20 years have more pressure on them to perform than Elliott Cadeau?

IDUNK4HEELS

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2004
kernersville nc
I say absolutely no. Even though he has never played a game that matters at the Dean Dome and is just a freshman so many have already put unfair pressure and unrealistic expectations on him to be the savior of Carolina basketball 🏀 and to put the team back where they were for so long.

Yes like many others I have been very impressed with his pin point passing and his tremendous point guard skills but I also realize looking đź‘€ like the next coming of Oscar Robertson against other elite HIGH SCHOOL PLAYERS will be a different than playing against older, more experienced physical college players who have been there and done that.

I feel for the young superstar because as we all know fans don’t want excuses just results and if he gets off to a slow start and is not playing to many of the couch coaches unrealistic expectations they will not hesitate to turn on him.

My hope is with Davis and Bacot leading the team early by example and the talented transfer in players contributing as well that Cadeau will not feel the pressure of thinking like Anthony did as a freshman that he needs to do everything he can to carry the team.

I would hate to be in Cadeau’s Jordans right now knowing ever move he makes good or bad early will be highly scrutinized by the many so called experts and couch coaches that frequently voice their displeasure here.

Yes he may INDEED be the next GREAT TAR HEEL basketball 🏀 player and I for one would luv to see a banner with his name on it hanging in the Dean Dome but as a FRESHMAN it is highly unlikely so even if he is not the messiah hopefully the fans will give him a fair chance to show what he can do on the court.

Again I ask you has any Tar Heel player recently have had so much pressure on them to perform?

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I say absolutely no. Even though he has never played a game that matters at the Dean Dome and is just a freshman so many have already put unfair pressure and unrealistic expectations on him to be the savior of Carolina basketball 🏀 and to put the team back where they were for so long.

Yes like many others I have been very impressed with his pin point passing and his tremendous point guard skills but I also realize looking đź‘€ like the next coming of Oscar Robertson against other elite HIGH SCHOOL PLAYERS will be a different than playing against older, more experienced physical college players who have been there and done that.

I feel for the young superstar because as we all know fans don’t want excuses just results and if he gets off to a slow start and is not playing to many of the couch coaches unrealistic expectations they will not hesitate to turn on him.

My hope is with Davis and Bacot leading the team early by example and the talented transfer in players contributing as well that Cadeau will not feel the pressure of thinking like Anthony did as a freshman that he needs to do everything he can to carry the team.

I would hate to be in Cadeau’s Jordans right now knowing ever move he makes good or bad early will be highly scrutinized by the many so called experts and couch coaches that frequently voice their displeasure here.

Yes he may INDEED be the next GREAT TAR HEEL basketball 🏀 player and I for one would luv to see a banner with his name on it hanging in the Dean Dome but as a FRESHMAN it is highly unlikely so even if he is not the messiah hopefully the fans will give him a fair chance to show what he can do on the court.

Again I ask you has any Tar Heel player recently have had so much pressure on them to perform?
TBH, the only pressure is on Hubert to let go, give him the keys and take the governor off the motor.

Harrison Barnes had a lot of pressure coming in as the #1 ranked high school recruit. Cadeau has pressure yes, but it won’t be to score 20 a night as we have Bacot/RJ Davis. Elliot just has to play to his strengths (setting up teammates, run the offense, push the ball, hit open shots)

Harrison Barnes faced a mountain of expectation and it seemed fans were never satisfied with his output…. But I get what you’re saying about the pressure on Cadeau…. Probably has a lot to do with the train wreck season we just witnessed.

Raymond Felton came in with a good bit of hype and on the heels of a train wreck of a season. Granted he came in with some help with McCants and May but that I recall a good bit of expectation on him and he was pretty much given the keys day 1. Worked out pretty well.

Barnes is the only one I can think of. It's a shame too, because he ended up being a really good player for us but a good sized portion of the fan base thinks he wasn't that good. People were expecting him to be an all time great and he wasn't. Even if Cadeau turns out to be really good, I think he'll be seen as a disappointment by many.

Barnes is the only one I can think of. It's a shame too, because he ended up being a really good player for us but a good sized portion of the fan base thinks he wasn't that good. People were expecting him to be an all time great and he wasn't. Even if Cadeau turns out to be really good, I think he'll be seen as a disappointment by many.
Great players dive into a challenge. Cadeau will do well at UNC...

cadeau is seen as a passer more than a scorer. he'll get his assists and help our offense just by being on the court -- no disappointment if he doesn't score a lot.

In terms of pressure the last 20 years, I’d rank them in this order:

1. Elliot Cadeau
2. Harrison Barnes
3. Cole Anthony
4-6) Felton, McCants & May
7. Psycho T
8-10) John Henson & Wear Twins

Could make strong cases for James Michael McAdoo, Nassir Little and Coby White

Felton, May, Psycho T and Coby were as good as advertised (if not better) and dealt with the pressure the best imo

With all that…Hubert is under the most amount of pressure I’ve ever seen, since Dean or Roy couldn’t win the “big one.”

Facts Gary. If Hubert fumbles EC I believe Hubert is done at Carolina.
While I don't like framing it in such dire terms, yes, Hubert is indeed under some not-so-subtle pressure to put a "better product" (translation: more Carolina-like) on the floor this season. And now, thru a combination of good recruiting and good fortune, he has the most vital ingredient to do just that. In other words, barring injury, the roster makeup can no longer be used as cover.

Now... whether or not this roster is ultimately championship calibre remains to be seen, BUT it IS a no-brainer top-15 group (barring injury of course) just by doing something easy and simple --- return and recommit to Dean/Roy Fast-break/Secondary-break/Freelance basketball with our next great PG at the helm.

In other words, barring injury, the roster makeup can no longer be used as cover.

Now... whether or not this roster is ultimately championship calibre remains to be seen, BUT it IS a no-brainer top-15 group (barring injury of course) just by doing something easy and simple --- return and recommit to Dean/Roy Fast-break/Secondary-break/Freelance basketball with our next great PG at the helm.
Game, set , match! 🏆

Reactions: 2DDIMOND and gary-7
I guess it depends what people's reasonable expectations for Cadeau are. I'm reading a lot of "generational talent" and things like that. I tend to think if he was, he'd be ranked in the top 5 of his recruiting class. Those rankings can be wrong. But generational talents get thrown around too much when describing players.

I'll resist listening to any comparisons right now. There were people on this board who compared John Henson to Kevin Durant and in terms of basketball, the only thing those two have in common is they're both right handed.

I know that I expected more out of Harrison Barnes more than maybe any other recruit in my lifetime. NBA ready body from day one. He wasn't the best fit for those teams but was still talented enough to be a 17-20 PPG scorer in college. That's how talented he was. But they're two entirely different players. HB absolutely needed to score to impact a game. He wasn't a good playmaker, couldn't dribble the ball. He had to score.

Apparently Cadeau can really impact a game by only scoring 4 points. But that also means he'll be dependent on his teammates finishing plays. So there's a chance Cadeau has an awesome game, but if his teammates don't make open shots or finish at the rim, Cadeau won't have the numbers indicative of the type of game he had.

I'm holding off on anything until they play real games. This team has a ton of question marks. And all of those need to be answered before we know what type of team this is. I think a lot of us have talked ourselves into this team being really good. I think they'll be better than last year. But all that's dependent on guys getting a lot better over the offseason.

I guess it depends what people's reasonable expectations for Cadeau are. I'm reading a lot of "generational talent" and things like that. I tend to think if he was, he'd be ranked in the top 5 of his recruiting class. Those rankings can be wrong. But generational talents get thrown around too much when describing players.

I'll resist listening to any comparisons right now. There were people on this board who compared John Henson to Kevin Durant and in terms of basketball, the only thing those two have in common is they're both right handed.

I know that I expected more out of Harrison Barnes more than maybe any other recruit in my lifetime. NBA ready body from day one. He wasn't the best fit for those teams but was still talented enough to be a 17-20 PPG scorer in college. That's how talented he was. But they're two entirely different players. HB absolutely needed to score to impact a game. He wasn't a good playmaker, couldn't dribble the ball. He had to score.

Apparently Cadeau can really impact a game by only scoring 4 points. But that also means he'll be dependent on his teammates finishing plays. So there's a chance Cadeau has an awesome game, but if his teammates don't make open shots or finish at the rim, Cadeau won't have the numbers indicative of the type of game he had.

I'm holding off on anything until they play real games. This team has a ton of question marks. And all of those need to be answered before we know what type of team this is. I think a lot of us have talked ourselves into this team being really good. I think they'll be better than last year. But all that's dependent on guys getting a lot better over the offseason.
Nobody is throwing around "generational" lightly. There is quite a good reason.
And if you need "rankings" to assess talent, well....

I guess he doesn't fit in the 20 year window since he was in the class of 2002, but no one in my life has faced larger expectations than Raymond Felton.

He was expected to be the savior of UNC basketball following the 8-20 season.

The expectations for Barnes was pretty high. After Hans played Greg Oden as a Junior in high school, my expectations were pretty high. Raymond Felton's expectations were pretty crazy.

The expectations for Barnes was pretty high. After Hans played Greg Oden as a Junior in high school, my expectations were pretty high. Raymond Felton's expectations were pretty crazy.
Actually I would argue that Psycho didn't suffer from expectations so much. After all, most folks thought we would stink his freshman year following the mass exodus. Our boy proved em wrong ;)...

Agreed…. I remember on here we were all still basking in the glow of Roy’s first championship and the expectations for 2006 were pretty low…. Top returning players Noel, Terry and Byron Sanders!

But then Psycho T went for 26 and 8 in the first exhibition and the goal posts got moved a little…

Everyone is jumping on the Cadeau bandwagon as he is already been anointed as the savior of Carolina basketball 🏀. I have seen several of his games on tv and not only does have serious hops, superior vision and good court awareness he is a passer first before shooting. I was not really impressed with his defense or his outside shooting accuracy but those can be worked on.

He has yet to practice because he is dealing with a slight ankle problem but he will be available soon to show off his skills.

The pressure for him to perform is so off the hook especially after the season the team had last season…

I don't think Cadeau has the level of pressure on him that guys like Cole or Raymond had. I think the players around Cadeau are much better than Cole or Ray had, meaning they had less to work with, more was expected of them individually. How about kendal coming in during the season and having to right a sinking ship? Cadeau comes in and I think is surrounded with talent and guys that seem to really fit together well. RJ may actually have more pressure on him because he and his running buddy for the last 3years in our back court have struggled and now RJ has moved to the 2 and will have to prove that he was not the reason we struggled.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS and RHFD
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT