ADVERTISEMENT

Heels vs Canes gamethread

I actually believe UNC will beat State. But... so what? Y'know? This is a regression.

I hear people analyze UNC's defense and say things like "They're ALMOST there!" I don't know what to look for to make determinations like that. And, I know that the offense lost more playmakers from last year than I can ever remember. But, I just don't have much faith in the coaching staff. Brown is way too old to be effective. His coaches are just crap.

Imagine how bad this team would be if Howell wasn't the greatest QB in school history!!! You take away his contributions and the team could be 0-7.
Yeah, we did put up 45 today. But the freaking defense has been awful other than the dook game.

Even though we won, I somehow feel worse about this team.

I just can't bring myself to give a shit either way. Usually I'm fired up all day on Saturdays during football season. But I've been pretty much checked out since the VT game.

And how much better do we get next year even with coaching changes? They're going to have unf*ck all of the fundamental problems that have been put in place. The offense has to develop a new QB who hasn't really seen the field all year even in mop up time. They have to cobble together an OL, which is the one position group that hasn't been recruited particularly well. None of the WR's aside from Downs look particularly good, and I'd only be half surprised if he's in the portal next year. Bama or tOSU would welcome him with welcome arms, why stay at Carolina?

If Mack pulls off a miracle and brings in another phenomenal recruiting class, and brings in new coordinators, we're still probably at least 2 years away from being where we though we would be this year.

I just can't bring myself to give a shit either way. Usually I'm fired up all day on Saturdays during football season. But I've been pretty much checked out since the VT game.

And how much better do we get next year even with coaching changes? They're going to have unf*ck all of the fundamental problems that have been put in place. The offense has to develop a new QB who hasn't really seen the field all year even in mop up time. They have to cobble together an OL, which is the one position group that hasn't been recruited particularly well. None of the WR's aside from Downs look particularly good, and I'd only be half surprised if he's in the portal next year. Bama or tOSU would welcome him with welcome arms, why stay at Carolina?

If Mack pulls off a miracle and brings in another phenomenal recruiting class, and brings in new coordinators, we're still probably at least 2 years away from being where we though we would be this year.
I've never understood why they hired Mack Brown. I'm guessing no one else wanted the job.

I've never understood why they hired Mack Brown. I'm guessing no one else wanted the job.
I think it was that Bubba knew from old time football boosters that perhaps the only 'big name' football coach that UNC could hire who would not be undermined almost immediately was Mack Brown. Mack was willing and able to charm the UNC old guard, including much of the part of it that was hostile to 'big time' football. And they all loved Sally.

Even Art Chansky, who at times comes close to confessing his abiding distaste for football, genuinely likes Mack and loves Sally.

That is the realistic reason to be hesitant to tell Mack to retiree, even at 75. The UNC people who truly wish UNC football to be lesser than basketball will demand a search that finds another Bunting or Hickey or Withers. But an aging Mack who is fiercely loyal to mediocre assistants also will end up harming the program.

So what is Bubba to do? He has to walk a fine line encouraging, and then incentivizing, Mack to clean house to try to field the kind of staff that can win the ACC and make post-season noise.

I think it was that Bubba knew from old time football boosters that perhaps the only 'big name' football coach that UNC could hire who would not be undermined almost immediately was Mack Brown. Mack was willing and able to charm the UNC old guard, including much of the part of it that was hostile to 'big time' football. And they all loved Sally.

Even Art Chansky, who at times comes close to confessing his abiding distaste for football, genuinely likes Mack and loves Sally.

That is the realistic reason to be hesitant to tell Mack to retiree, even at 75. The UNC people who truly wish UNC football to be lesser than basketball will demand a search that finds another Bunting or Hickey or Withers. But an aging Mack who is fiercely loyal to mediocre assistants also will end up harming the program.

So what is Bubba to do? He has to walk a fine line encouraging, and then incentivizing, Mack to clean house to try to field the kind of staff that can win the ACC and make post-season noise.
I hear this stuff... but, I just have a hard time believing that there are "UNC people" who actually want the football program to struggle. That makes absolutely no sense at all. Why would someone have a "distaste for football" and actually undermine efforts to have it succeed? Who are these people?

I hear this stuff... but, I just have a hard time believing that there are "UNC people" who actually want the football program to struggle. That makes absolutely no sense at all. Why would someone have a "distaste for football" and actually undermine efforts to have it succeed? Who are these people?

You have a hard time believing it because it's a crock of shit. There may very well be people in positions of influence who care much more about basketball than football. Or don't really care about football at all. That's to be expected when you work for a university with arguably the most storied college basketball program in the country. But the idea that they are interested in actively sabotaging the football program is ridiculous. A big time college football program brings in the kind of money that can blow up the budget for every other sports program fielded by the school. It also increases application numbers and allows undergraduate programs to be more selective in admissions, or expand and bring in even more revenue without compromising academic standards. Clemson has consistently moved up the university rankings, and made huge improvements to their campus on the back of the football program, and anyone working in a position of influence at UNC would know that too.

You have a hard time believing it because it's a crock of shit. There may very well be people in positions of influence who care much more about basketball than football. Or don't really care about football at all. That's to be expected when you work for a university with arguably the most storied college basketball program in the country. But the idea that they are interested in actively sabotaging the football program is ridiculous. A big time college football program brings in the kind of money that can blow up the budget for every other sports program fielded by the school. It also increases application numbers and allows undergraduate programs to be more selective in admissions, or expand and bring in even more revenue without compromising academic standards. Clemson has consistently moved up the university rankings, and made huge improvements to their campus on the back of the football program, and anyone working in a position of influence at UNC would know that too.
I see the fruits of the football revenue all over the place, here in Clemson!

Reactions: uncboy10
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT