ADVERTISEMENT

Hot Dogs

I don't eat them often but when I do, I like the Ballpark beef dogs. For a long time I was a Hebrew National guy. But only because my wife was getting them and I didn't care enough to switch it up. The kids liked them enough so I was like, whatever. But the Ballpark dogs are way better. Pretty much every dog is way better than Hebrew National. Boars Head beef franks bang but they're pretty expensive.

Anyone ever go to Tabor City? There's a place there called Fowler's and they have those skinny little bright red dogs. I like those too. If you ever go, tell the owner, Byron that you know me. He'll hook you up.

I can go a lot of different ways with my dogs. I can go just mustard. Or I can go mustard and chili. Or I can go big with mustard, chili, onions, cheese, slaw or pretty much anything else EXCEPT KETCHUP. For some reason, Ketchup on a dog is a sin to me. I lose respect for people that put ketchup on a dog.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
I'm from Wayne as well.
Have some Duplin County connections as well, though not very close any more. My grandmother was from Rose Hill; used to go to family reunions at my great-grandmother's incredible old house in Rose Hill with a huge front yard full of 100+ pecan trees. The house was originally built before indoor plumbing and despite having 6-7 bedrooms it just had one small afterthought of a bathroom that was added on later. Porch wrapped around three sides. Several ancient outbuildings/sheds full of old junk that was like a gold mine for kids - also popular with wasps, we learned. Unfortunately I don't think the property stayed in the family after she passed.
Dang, the plot thickens!

One of my Sampson County cousins married into a pretty well-known farming family from Duplin County. You can imagine where they went to school.

I can go a lot of different ways with my dogs. I can go just mustard. Or I can go mustard and chili. Or I can go big with mustard, chili, onions, cheese, slaw or pretty much anything else EXCEPT KETCHUP. For some reason, Ketchup on a dog is a sin to me. I lose respect for people that put ketchup on a dog.
No ketchup, but in addition to mustard, I put mayo on my hot dogs. How bout dah?

When I was a kid, I literally ate a hotdog every single day. That was my diet. I completely burnt out and the slightest thought of one now is beyond nauseating.

If I were to stomach one, it would have to be "all the way" -- chili, slaw, mustard, onions, etc.

And @tarheel0910 - GTH.

What type do you get? Do you get the Better with Chedda or whatever? Or the smoked sausage kind? The grocery store usually rotates what's available so it's fun for me to mix it up every time I go (yes, I need more excitement in my life lol)
I love them all but the Beddar with Cheddar are hard to beat. I'm going to have to try the Bright Leaf dogs.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
Another thing I do is make my own horseradish mustard by adding minced horseradish to Gulden's spicy brown mustard. It really spices up a sandwich/dog if you like horseradish like I do.
Ohhhh wow that sounds good. I LOVE horseradish, but specifically prefer the raw kind, as opposed to the creamy kind.

Using raw horseradish as a condiment on a nice steak is the ultimate food enhancer that not a lot of people know about. Steak is the one thing I can cook well.

Ohhhh wow that sounds good. I LOVE horseradish, but specifically prefer the raw kind, as opposed to the creamy kind.

Using raw horseradish as a condiment on a nice steak is the ultimate food enhancer that not a lot of people know about. Steak is the one thing I can cook well.
A big amen to that. Horseradish and garlic are two of my favorite condiments, I use them a lot. And I try to use fresh garlic/horseradish when possible because it has a lot more flavor. I like to slather both sides of a steak with horseradish mustard and sear it on both sides, retaining all the juices and forming a delicious crust on the outside. Unbelievably good. I just recently made a jar of mustard using Gulden's spicy brown mustard, fresh minced horseradish, and fresh minced garlic. I need to fine tune the ratio a little but it is soooooo good.

I don't really use spicy brown mustard or dijon that much. I only use yellow on hot dogs. However, spicy brown or dijon with sautéed peppers and onions on a brat? Absolutely.

Oh hell yea i grate my own horseradish (pre grated has bug semen) and put it on a sizzling rib-eye right off the grill.

As for mustard take the brown spicy kind and add honey and some lemon juice then brush on a head of cauliflower and bake it.

Reactions: Raising Heel
- @tarheel0910 from Johnston County (correct me if I'm wrong)
Technically, I would be about two miles into the Wayne county line. I had a Princeton address which is in Johnston county (and where I went to school), however I grew up in the country and since Princeton was the closest town to me they gave me a Princeton address.

pretty much anything else EXCEPT KETCHUP. For some reason, Ketchup on a dog is a sin to me. I lose respect for people that put ketchup on a dog.
I put ketchup on mine sometimes just because I know a lot of people who feel the same way you do and I just want to piss them off.

I put mayo on my hot dogs. How bout dah?
Dude.

When i lived in granville towers the highlight of the evening was the hot dog cart showing up in the parking lot around 11. I think it was called "blimpies"? U would start hearing the yells echoing down the halls "BLIMPIES! BLIMPIES!" And all of us with the uh...munchies would make a mad dash. I think u could get 3 for a dollar. Steamed buns even. Oh the days.

Reactions: tarheel0910
My powers also include knowing that you just Googled the meaning of prescient.
No, because I'm not an idiot. I'm fab at the vocab.

I don't really use spicy brown mustard or dijon that much. I only use yellow on hot dogs. However, spicy brown or dijon with sautéed peppers and onions on a brat? Absolutely.
I agree that dijon mustard is much too overpowering of a taste. You gotta put just a dab of that stuff or it's all you can taste on whatever you're eating.

Oh hell yea i grate my own horseradish (pre grated has bug semen) and put it on a sizzling rib-eye right off the grill.
Bug semen sure is tasty.

Three for a dollar? What was that, like 1921?

pmsGlzTFj

Is @prlyles ok? I thought for sure he would have dropped in by now to tell us how excellent the general store organic Amish made mustard that was blessed by ancient monks and delivered to him on a horse and buggy is.
I LOL'd.

And he probably about had a coronary just reading all of our unhealthy habits in this thread.

No ketchup, but in addition to mustard, I put mayo on my hot dogs. How bout dah?

Growing up in Thomasville we had a local golf course that used to be a landfill. Saying that so this next statement may not be of much surprise. They had a local golfer who played there all the time. His name was Hutch. He liked hot dogs. They named a dog after him and put in on their grill menu. The Hutch dog consisted of a wiener wrapped in cheese with mayo drizzled across the top like mustard. I shit you not.

Growing up in Thomasville we had a local golf course that used to be a landfill. Saying that so this next statement may not be of much surprise. They had a local golfer who played there all the time. His name was Hutch. He liked hot dogs. They named a dog after him and put in on their grill menu. The Hutch dog consisted of a wiener wrapped in cheese with mayo drizzled across the top like mustard. I shit you not.
I've had that before. I love wrapping an American cheese single around the dog. Very sexual.

Reactions: toophly1124
You guys have an opinion on Paul's Place hot dogs? If we are heading to Wrightsville (or the surrounding area), my wife will insist we take the exit for Paul's Place near Castle Hayne. Five star thread, BTW.

Technically, I would be about two miles into the Wayne county line. I had a Princeton address which is in Johnston county (and where I went to school), however I grew up in the country and since Princeton was the closest town to me they gave me a Princeton address.

I put ketchup on mine sometimes just because I know a lot of people who feel the same way you do and I just want to piss them off.

Dude.
Good friend and hunting buddy lives near Princeton, not far from The Bridge.

Reactions: tarheel0910
You guys have an opinion on Paul's Place hot dogs? If we are heading to Wrightsville (or the surrounding area), my wife will insist we take the exit for Paul's Place near Castle Hayne. Five star thread, BTW.
We use to stop there when we played the Wilmington schools in hs baseball. Was awesome!

Seriously, I cannot fathom the middle-of-nowhereness of Nebraska. That town of Oxford isn't near ANYTHING. Crazy stuff.
It's definitely the middle of nowhere. That's how I like it, the wife, not so much.

My youngest daughter is pregnant with my first grandson(I have 4 granddaughters). Last week she went into labor, way too early(28 wks). We had to drive 3.5 hours to Lincoln. Were there all week. Luckily the little man decided to wait.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT