ADVERTISEMENT

How long will Fedora stay after this?

randman1

All-American
Mar 22, 2005
February? March?

How about Chizik?

Big time football programs are going to make legit mistakes, big ones, and if the university cannot even tolerate anything that might be a mistake but probably isn't, and are going to let the media bully them, just how long do you think a coach of Fedora's caliber will stay?

End of season? One year or two?

If he's smart then he sees what he has building here, which is a program that can compete for national titles. The question is whether or not he can keep Chizik around long enough to build an elite D that could match his offense. His job security right now is through the roof, but at a new "big time football program" he would probably be on a short leash.

Its going to be nearly impossible to keep Chizik around when the HC offers start rolling in. Assuming that he wants to be the head honcho again. But if Carolina is willing to pay him what he deserves, I think Fedora sticks around.

I don't think media bullying did this. I could be wrong but Folt probably would have rejected this idea from the get-go if given the chance.

I would have too... Not sure why Bubba let this slide.

Fedora is probably pissed he can't help his buddy and feels undermined though. And embarrassed for being in this situation.

"personal favors" vs "optics while recovering from NCAA" , the latter should win.

I'm not sure where the decision to end the connection came from, but regardless I do know that the UNC administration is soft as whale shit. And it's starting to get old.
Did you not read the response to the ANOA? Telling the NCAA to GFY isn't that soft. I think the problem they had with it was they weren't given a heads up and were caught off guard.

Reactions: wilsinnc
I seriously doubt Folt and her merry band of idiots had much at all to do with that response. Most likely the lawyers crafted it and Bubba was involved, but since it was directed to the NCAA Folt had little to do with it. If she had, you can bet it wouldn't have been nearly as "GFY" as it was.

UNC's administration is notorious for rolling over and grabbing their ankles in the face of anything that remotely looks "controversial", which is why most of us were pissed at how this mess has been handled from day 1. Make no mistake about it, Folt and the administration could care less about athletics, especially football, which is probably why no one bothered to ask her opinion about letting Beckman be a VOLUNTEER coach.

Very good question. If you are a football coach and winning, and the chick in charge reveals she may be just another coward before the media, then you certainly are going to look at any decent possibility.

Reactions: randman1
I don't think media bullying did this. I could be wrong but Folt probably would have rejected this idea from the get-go if given the chance.

I would have too... Not sure why Bubba let this slide.

Fedora is probably pissed he can't help his buddy and feels undermined though. And embarrassed for being in this situation.

"personal favors" vs "optics while recovering from NCAA" , the latter should win.
How about Bubba trusts Fedora? How about Bubba trusts Chizik?

Oh and Fed might feel that
I seriously doubt Folt and her merry band of idiots had much at all to do with that response. Most likely the lawyers crafted it and Bubba was involved, but since it was directed to the NCAA Folt had little to do with it. If she had, you can bet it wouldn't have been nearly as "GFY" as it was.

UNC's administration is notorious for rolling over and grabbing their ankles in the face of anything that remotely looks "controversial", which is why most of us were pissed at how this mess has been handled from day 1. Make no mistake about it, Folt and the administration could care less about athletics, especially football, which is probably why no one bothered to ask her opinion about letting Beckman be a VOLUNTEER coach.

this makes no sense OR you have no idea what our response was to the ANOA. You think she cares enough about our image to ditch Beckman, but doesn't care about our response to the ANOA regarding one of the largest embarrassments in the university's history?

When it is all over, i'm probably going to feel satisfied with the outcome of this NCAA mess and i'm going to give lots of credit to the Folt Administration - a) they are making academic side happy by adding reforms and getting a million investigators (Martin, Wainstein, etc), b) they are doing their best to limit the sanctions by telling the NCAA how to interpret their own rules and calling them out on BS.

If he's smart then he sees what he has building here, which is a program that can compete for national titles. The question is whether or not he can keep Chizik around long enough to build an elite D that could match his offense. His job security right now is through the roof, but at a new "big time football program" he would probably be on a short leash.

Its going to be nearly impossible to keep Chizik around when the HC offers start rolling in. Assuming that he wants to be the head honcho again. But if Carolina is willing to pay him what he deserves, I think Fedora sticks around.
If I were Fedora, my staying around would hinge on Folt and how well she explains herself.

Reactions: Hark_The_Sound_2010
How about Bubba trusts Fedora? How about Bubba trusts Chizik?

The Beckman issue looks bad on paper. Everyone saw this coming and you'd think Bubba could see this coming too. We need all the help we can get, but We've got amazing D coaches... it isn't like this is 2014 under Vic and we're desperate for good D coaching.

Look the timing of this was TERRIBLE. We are STILL in the shadow of the NCAA mess, by no means has the final chapter been written.

I really like Fedora a lot but this was poor judgment IMO. I know he wanted to help his friend...but really I do not think he should have brought the guy on...with ALL the NCAA clouds still surrounding us.

It will blow over very quickly though

It's obvious Bubba has his back, so I don't see why he would care what she thinks. I'm sure he was upset with what she said, but Bubba is his boss and they have a good relationship. Yes, I know that Folt has the ultimate say on many decisions as head of the university, but I doubt her and Fed have very much interaction. If you work for a large company would you get real upset if you had a great relationship with your immediate manager, but not the CEO? Given all of the other support he has I don't see Fedora as the type of person to hold a grudge over something like this. If and when he leaves it will be for money and/or a better football school.

If I were Fedora, my staying around would hinge on Folt and how well she explains herself.

I do hope that Folt is in Fed's office right now apologizing for the events or empathizing that the circumstances suck. Fed and Bubba kinda brought this on themselves. Hopefully they all have a good overall respect for each other.

If he feels unsupported overall (facilities upgrades, etc), this might not help him feel better though. Fortunately the facilities and program overall seem well-supported.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Look the timing of this was TERRIBLE. We are STILL in the shadow of the NCAA mess, by no means has the final chapter been written.
This. If he made the hire 10 years ago then nobody cares. If he makes this hire 10 years from now nobody cares. It was all about the timing.

Reactions: Archer2
February? March?

How about Chizik?

Big time football programs are going to make legit mistakes, big ones, and if the university cannot even tolerate anything that might be a mistake but probably isn't, and are going to let the media bully them, just how long do you think a coach of Fedora's caliber will stay?

End of season? One year or two?
Woah, what happened to being all in with the program, bud?

I really like Fedora a lot but this was poor judgment IMO. I know he wanted to help his friend...but really I do not think he should have brought the guy on...with ALL the NCAA clouds still surrounding us.

If Roy had done it, you would've been all on board.

The Beckman issue looks bad on paper. Everyone saw this coming and you'd think Bubba could see this coming too. We need all the help we can get, but We've got amazing D coaches... it isn't like this is 2014 under Vic and we're desperate for good D coaching.
Keeping the Dook lacrosse coach looked bad on paper. But it would have been the only right thing to do.

When you show the media that you can be bullied, the media will keep bullying.

Fedora allowing Beckman to be a volunteer was not about adding to a needy D staff. It was giving a man you know a chance to learn from you and your DC so he can rehabilitate his reputation.

It will not blow over quickly. The media will keep digging for blood, expecting Folt to cave.

And Fedora is no Phil Donohue Beta Male. He is going to see Folt as at best a meddlesome Yankee schoolmarm, one who just threw under the bus him and a friend of his who was in need.

So EVERY volunteer and employee is I hope now being completely vetted by the administration and all the "imperfect" people are being let go immediately. I'm sure FOLT has looked over every volunteer and made sure they meet her standards. What effing BS and hypocritical leadership of a University where it should be about helping and rebuilding of people instead of caving into to media witchhunts!!!! If standards of character are our new policies then why in he!! is Jay Smith still employed and all the others like him!!!!!!

So EVERY volunteer and employee is I hope now being completely vetted by the administration and all the "imperfect" people are being let go immediately. I'm sure FOLT has looked over every volunteer and made sure they meet her standards. What effing BS and hypocritical leadership of a University where it should be about helping and rebuilding of people instead of caving into to media witchhunts!!!! If standards of character are our new policies then why in he!! is Jay Smith still employed and all the others like him!!!!!!
Exactly. I'm willing to bet that UNC has had and may have right now volunteers of various types who have been convicted of all kinds of nasty stuff. Even violent crimes.

Now get me I fell in love with this university because of watching UNC basketball with Coach Smith back in the late 60's and certainly loved Phil Ford but he wasn't exactly a saint with his alcoholism. If I remember correctly I don't seem to remember the University or the basketball crowd concerned we actually employed him and in this case Fedora didn't pay Beckman but just had him as a volunteer. We lifted Phil back up and helped him all we could but hey Fedora's not really one of us as he didn't go here and certainly not Beckman so it's no problem throwing them out with the trash.

Now get me I fell in love with this university because of watching UNC basketball with Coach Smith back in the late 60's and certainly loved Phil Ford but he wasn't exactly a saint with his alcoholism. If I remember correctly I don't seem to remember the University or the basketball crowd concerned we actually employed him and in this case Fedora didn't pay Beckman but just had him as a volunteer. We lifted Phil back up and helped him all we could but hey Fedora's not really one of us as he didn't go here and certainly not Beckman so it's no problem throwing them out with the trash.
Furthermore, why is Anson Dorrance (women's soccer coach) still employed, using Folt's new precedent?

Apples and oranges comparison. Phil's alcoholism was a personal issue. This guy was found to have abused his own players. Phil also got the benefit of not having the internet around. My guess is most people, even some UNC fans, have never heard about Phil's issues. It's hard to "throw him out with the trash" if you don't know about it.

I don't believe for an instant that Folt blindsided Fedora or Cunningham with her press release. I'm sure she discussed it with both before saying a word to the media. Honestly don't see it as a big problem.
I hope that's the case, but in the long run I don't think Fed cares that much about her. The most important relationship for a coach (outside of his assistants and players) is his relationship with the AD. That relationship seems to be really good, so I don't think Folt's comments are going to keep him up at night.

Apples and oranges comparison. Phil's alcoholism was a personal issue. This guy was found to have abused his own players. Phil also got the benefit of not having the internet around. My guess is most people, even some UNC fans, have never heard about Phil's issues. It's hard to "throw him out with the trash" if you don't know about it.

WTH!!! Phil was going around DRIVING an EFFING car and could have killed how many people!!!!!!! He didn't thank god so I guess that makes it completely ok. WTH!!! My god, I love UNC but this is just complete BS to cave in to the media over a VOLUNTEER.

WTH!!! Phil was going around DRIVING an EFFING car and could have killed how many people!!!!!!! He didn't thank god so I guess that makes it completely ok. WTH!!! My god, I love UNC but this is just complete BS to cave in to the media over a VOLUNTEER.
Ehh....right or wrong, people in American society don't see DUIs as big deals.

If Roy had done it, you would've been all on board.

So true. Then anyone questioning the hire would have been publicly shamed as not being a real Tar Heel fan.

Furthermore, why is Anson Dorrance (women's soccer coach) still employed, using Folt's new precedent?

I realize this is rhetorical - but clearly the answer is because the media hasn't rallied against Anson. If they did - he'd be terminated pretty quickly. When the media comes a-knockin' the administration turns into a puddle.

Of course it's ok. I mean, that's exactly what I said in my post right? Oh no wait, I never said that.

Beckman had been here a month without an issue from anyone!!! If a player or someone with the football program thought he was causing a problem it would have come up. This was strictly the media making an issue of it and our administration caving in to the pressure and then publicly chastising Bubba and Fedora. How freaking stupid is that!!! Also, goes to show how much Carter and local media really concerns themselves with UNC when apparently Beckman had been on the sidelines and NOBODY initially questioned who the heck he was. Folt fed the media more ammunition to continue to slander us and print all kinds of garbage to try and influence her decision making.

Beckman had been here a month without an issue from anyone!!!
Because it hadn't been publicly reported. It's like you're blaming the media for reporting news, i.e. doing their job. Naturally there were some very opinionated interpretations of the story, but that's not really the issue here. Plenty of those same alumni and RC members are perfectly capable of forming their own opinions.

Ehh....right or wrong, people in American society don't see DUIs as big deals.
They do when the media stokes their fires. Phil Ford killing somebody on one of his MANY drunk driving escapades while being paid handsomely by UNC would have cost UNC far, far more than Beckman could have as a volunteer assistant.

I hope that's the case, but in the long run I don't think Fed cares that much about her. The most important relationship for a coach (outside of his assistants and players) is his relationship with the AD. That relationship seems to be really good, so I don't think Folt's comments are going to keep him up at night.
Fedora will not trust her. He will see her as a loudmouthed bitch who perhaps played for the cameras and the applause of those 'who care', and at least was unconcerned with how what she said and the way it was presented would impact him and his friend.

I don't believe for an instant that Folt blindsided Fedora or Cunningham with her press release. I'm sure she discussed it with both before saying a word to the media. Honestly don't see it as a big problem.
Even if she did inform them and allow them to read a prepared statement, that does not mean either one was 'OK' with it. Fed now has to get through this season. He wouldn't speak up about his disgust with the sanctimonious Yankee schoolmarm even if he had already decided to leave UNC after this season no matter what happens.

Anyone who assumes Fedora is not upset with Folt is naive.

Fedora will not trust her. He will see her as a loudmouthed bitch who perhaps played for the cameras and the applause of those 'who care', and at least was unconcerned with how what she said and the way it was presented would impact him and his friend.
Does it really matter though? If he has a great relationship with Bubba and he's getting what he wants as far as facilities, pay, etc. does it really matter if he has a great relationship with her? Fedora doesn't strike me as the type of person that would consider changing jobs just because he feels slighted by her statement. I could be wrong, but he's getting a lot of support from people who make the day to day decisions, so I don't think her statement means much.

Going to reiterate that I believe this will blow over very soon. What exactly is the media going to DIG into?? I mean the guy was an unpaid volunteer for several months...one of three according to Fed, and he has been asked to leave. What "story" is there really??? As to the posters who claim that I would be all on board and supportive of this if Roy and the BBall team was involved, Cleary those folks have no clue what they are talking about.

I do not care WHAT sport we are talking about ..basketball, Lacrosse baseball, anything... My reaction would have been the same.

Very poor timing and bad judgment, regardless of who did it.

Reactions: heelbent
Does it really matter though? If he has a great relationship with Bubba and he's getting what he wants as far as facilities, pay, etc. does it really matter if he has a great relationship with her? Fedora doesn't strike me as the type of person that would consider changing jobs just because he feels slighted by her statement. I could be wrong, but he's getting a lot of support from people who make the day to day decisions, so I don't think her statement means much.
Your questions would make sense for UNC basketball, or Alabama or ND football. But not UNC football.

If you see it only as a 'slight,' as if it is rather like not getting a birthday card, you do not understand what public statements mean to those who are scathed by them. What Folt did was either from a perhaps Asbergery type ignorance (like that woman on Silicon Valley) or else was her way of proving that she can and will win all pissing contests and ADs and coaches better accept that.

you do not understand what public statements mean to those who are scathed by them.
Your right, I don't know what Fed is feeling right now, but neither does anyone on this board. Your still missing my point though. Let's assume that he hates her after this and wants to punch her in the face. Does his relationship with her carry that much weight? I think the other things that I mentioned are more important to a coach, so I don't think what she did will end up causing Fed to leave or have a bad opinion of the school as a whole.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT