ADVERTISEMENT

How long will Fedora stay after this?

If it's me and I have everything that he has, then what she said wouldn't bother me enough to just pack up and leave. Fedora doesn't seem like he would leave for that reason. I get that you think it has a huge impact on Fedora, but I just don't see it. What do you see in Fedora's personality and history to suggest this will make a huge impact on his future decisions?

I hope he stays but you gotta realize there is a chance of this being used against us in recruiting. The other school's coaches may argue, see, their fan-base doesn't show up; the administration doesn't back the program; she threw Fedora under the bus....do you really think he's going to stay in Chapel Hill, etc,....

And it may work. If it does, then yes a big time coach might think about jumping ship somewhere he's not going to be sandbagged by a preening chancellor.
I really hope that this isn't the case. Big time. But why undermine the program with something so small and teeny as this? Why publicly throw your coach under the bus before a huge game?

I don't think the chancellor is stupid. Perhaps she and some others really don't want a top football program in Chapel Hill? To my mind, that's a very reasonable assumption.

I hope he stays but you gotta realize there is a chance of this being used against us in recruiting. The other school's coaches may argue, see, their fan-base doesn't show up; the administration doesn't back the program; she threw Fedora under the bus....do you really think he's going to stay in Chapel Hill, etc,....

And it may work. If it does, then yes a big time coach might think about jumping ship somewhere he's not going to be sandbagged by a preening chancellor.
I really hope that this isn't the case. Big time. But why undermine the program with something so small and teeny as this? Why publicly throw your coach under the bus before a huge game?

I don't think the chancellor is stupid. Perhaps she and some others really don't want a top football program in Chapel Hill? To my mind, that's a very reasonable assumption.
I'm sure there are recruiters that would say something like that. There are probably recruiters that are going to say Fedora doesn't care about a kid's health because he made that hire. Obviously that's not right, but that's how it works. I think her comments were made because she didn't have a heads up. If they would have given her a heads up I think it would have gone down differently. Hopefully they have talked behind the scenes and straightened everything out.

Mountain%2Bn%2BMolehill.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you. Exactly what I believe.

Look, can we get a little perspective with all of this. It was a noble thing for Fed to do. No one can say it wasn't and I believe plenty of folks understand what he was trying to do. Everyone should also understand that it was clearly the wrong time for him to try to help a friend who has a serious perception issue (whether true or not). Our university just turned the corner on a story that no news media verified and repeated half truths & lies at every possible turn. The timing was just wrong and of course Folt was going to CYA.

Thank you. Exactly what I believe.

Look, can we get a little perspective with all of this. It was a noble thing for Fed to do. No one can say it wasn't and I believe plenty of folks understand what he was trying to do. Everyone should also understand that it was clearly the wrong time for him to try to help a friend who has a serious perception issue (whether true or not). Our university just turned the corner on a story that no news media verified and repeated half truths & lies at every possible turn. The timing was just wrong and of course Folt was going to CYA.
I think that sums it up pretty well. I'm not a PC kind of guy but I can understand Folt's reaction. Even Fed should have realized the timing couldn't have been much worse, especially after he's had to endure the school being under an electron microscope for 4 years.

Frankly, I'm more concerned about Chizk leaving and taking Papuchis and Warren with him. Fed brought in a whale of a defensive staff, folks. If we can keep it intact for a few years, the sky's the limit for our program.

Reactions: tarheel0910
Frankly, I'm more concerned about Chizk leaving and taking Papuchis and Warren with him. Fed brought in a whale of a defensive staff, folks. If we can keep it intact for a few years, the sky's the limit for our program.
Unlikely that Chizik would take Papuchis with him. Chizik didn't know Papuchis before coming to UNC. He hired him after being blown away by his interview.

But yes, the defensive staff is outstanding.

If it's me and I have everything that he has, then what she said wouldn't bother me enough to just pack up and leave. Fedora doesn't seem like he would leave for that reason. I get that you think it has a huge impact on Fedora, but I just don't see it. What do you see in Fedora's personality and history to suggest this will make a huge impact on his future decisions?
When people do great, and it goes double when they know they did the great job against the odds, they expect to be treated as adults, and respectfully. That is not what Folt did. Frankly, a football coach who is not bothered a good deal with such a response is not likely to have the fire to maintain a winner.

What do you think would be the response of Nick Saban to Folt's statement if it were in regard to him? How about Urban Meyer? Jim Harbaugh?

Fedora can get everything he has at UNC that matters to winning big at many elsewheres - not at 1 or 2 or 3 other schools but at many places. That notion won't keep him at UNC. Lack of respect from a snotty Yankee schoolmarm bitch, though, just might convince him to instruct his agent to check into possibilities.

What do you think would be the response of Nick Saban to Folt's statement if it were in regard to him? How about Urban Meyer? Jim Harbaugh?
Fed isn't even in the same class as those guys at this point in his career, not even close. And while I'm sure there are other schools who would hire him, I hardly think many are beating down his door. He has a good thing going at UNC and I think he knows it. Great pay and great facilities without all the great expectations usually associated with those.
Lack of respect from a snotty Yankee schoolmarm bitch, though, just might convince him to instruct his agent to check into possibilities.
Damn, man. Don't beat around the bush. Tell us how you really feel. I think you're blowing this waaaay out of proportion. I love the fact that Fed tried to help a friend out but he should have known that the timing couldn't have been worse.

Folt is a wet noodle. A worthless vag. But truth is, Beckman deserves another shot, but not less than a year in at UNc, coming off the garbage NCAA investigation. It was simply a PR nightmare for us and if everybody wasn't on board it should have never happened

They are complete egomaniacs, so I would expect them to be mad. Fed's personality is nothing like that, at least not in front of everyone. Maybe I'm missing something or maybe you know that he acts differently behind the scenes.

Lack of respect from a snotty Yankee schoolmarm bitch, though, just might convince him to instruct his agent to check into possibilities.
No matter where you go you can't please everyone. If 99% of the people that you report to or who are directly connected to athletics support you then why leave your job just because of the one percent that doesn't support you? It won't be different anywhere else either. No coach gets 100% of a school's support. I learned long ago not to worry about trying to please everyone and trying to get them to like you. It's a pointless exercise, because you can't control what others think. Fed seems like that type of person too.

Just read this interesting article. If you click on the "an NCAA compliance document" link and scroll down to "Volunteer Coach", it says that the NCAA doesn't allow volunteer coaches in football and men/women's basketball. Very interesting, if true.

"The rules regarding volunteer football coaches are somewhat unclear. According to Andrew Carter of the News & Observer, “there is no hiring process for a volunteer coach,” meaning Fedora didn’t need to vet Beckman with anyone before taking him on. Carter adds that Beckman “won’t have any real control as a volunteer.” But his mere existence on North Carolina’s staff does raise eyebrows, and not merely because of Beckman’s past. According to an NCAA compliance document found on the athletic department Website at Boston College — like North Carolina, a member of the ACC — volunteer coaches are not permitted in NCAA football and basketball.

Just read this interesting article. If you click on the "an NCAA compliance document" link and scroll down to "Volunteer Coach", it says that the NCAA doesn't allow volunteer coaches in football and men/women's basketball. Very interesting, if true.

"The rules regarding volunteer football coaches are somewhat unclear. According to Andrew Carter of the News & Observer, “there is no hiring process for a volunteer coach,” meaning Fedora didn’t need to vet Beckman with anyone before taking him on. Carter adds that Beckman “won’t have any real control as a volunteer.” But his mere existence on North Carolina’s staff does raise eyebrows, and not merely because of Beckman’s past. According to an NCAA compliance document found on the athletic department Website at Boston College — like North Carolina, a member of the ACC — volunteer coaches are not permitted in NCAA football and basketball.
LOLOLOL as if you didn't know, Andrew Carter is in discussions with Pack Pride. They linked the same thing from Boston College on Pack Pride.

It's allowed. Bubba wouldn't have allowed it if it wasn't.

Given where we're at with ncaa and all the crap associated with it regarding publicity, recruiting, fund raising etc u just dont bring on a controversial figurenlike this without consulting the chancellor. Sorry but u just dont. Bad judgement imo. But its over, lesson learned, move on. Be a big boy.

Kind of beating a dead horse but changed my mind a bit. Still think the chancellor's move stunk and should have done things privately. But Fedora is a pro, and at UNC he can win a championship, imo, and develop a consistent top 20 program and here's the caveat, with job security. If we come up with the money, assuming he keeps winning, he'll consider that.

If he takes a more high-profile job, say just as an example with a program like LSU or an Auburn or whomever, he won't have that job security even if he wins a title. Just look at how Auburn dumped Chizik.

So bet he stays around. Hopefully Bubba has a talk with the chancellor and explains the situation. No need to publicly embarrass and hang people out to dry.

What's that supposed to mean? I've been banned on Crack Ride.
Shockingly, they have a multi page thread about the situation. One of their diligent fans took the time to find some random document claiming volunteer coaches aren't allowed. That really is a special group of people over there.

Shockingly, they have a multi page thread about the situation. One of their diligent fans took the time to find some random document claiming volunteer coaches aren't allowed. That really is a special group of people over there.
I don't even know if it true that the ACC doesn't allow volunteer coaches in football and basketball. That's why I said "if true...". It also makes me think Fed must have consulted Bubba, something I've wondered about. I'm sure Fed knows the importance of dotting his I's and crossing his T's. At any rate, that document was one that I found on another school's site, not NVSU's. I rarely visit Crack Ride.

What's that supposed to mean? I've been banned on Crack Ride.
Andrew Carter (N&O writer who covers UNC Football) references the same BC-website article in the article you linked that Mooers on CrackRide cited. So he either reads that board or they emailed it to him and he used it.

I honestly couldn't care less what those mouth breathers think or say about UNC. As I said, I was banned there a couple of years ago. I admit to going there for laughs once or twice during the basketball season but it's been months. Don't know what Carter said and don't care quite frankly.

I honestly couldn't care less what those mouth breathers think or say about UNC. As I said, I was banned there a couple of years ago. I admit to going there for laughs once or twice during the basketball season but it's been months. Don't know what Carter said and don't care quite frankly.
Well you obviously care a little bit about what he says because he's the one you quoted in your above post ;)

I posted it because I wondered if it was true that the ACC didn't allow volunteer coaches in football/basketball and figured someone here would know. It why I said "very interesting, if true". Again, I couldn't care less about Carter's opinion regarding anything UNC related, just thought I'd seek clarification. Still haven't received any. Do you know?

Andrew Carter (N&O writer who covers UNC Football) references the same BC-website article in the article you linked that Mooers on CrackRide cited. So he either reads that board or they emailed it to him and he used it.
Speaking of useless "journalist" whatever happened to that Dan kane guy? :D

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT