ADVERTISEMENT

Kendall Marshall

smooth as butter

Hall of Famer
Jul 23, 2002
I like Kendall game alot, he is a true pg, excellent passer. I'm wondering why teams keep trading him. The lakers probably wish they kept him. He was better then any point guard on there roster.

I watched a few of his games with the Lakers and you're right, he was easily their best PG. He's a good locker room guy too. No idea why teams won't give him a real shot for a few years to run their offense.

I watched a few of his games with the Lakers and you're right, he was easily their best PG. He's a good locker room guy too. No idea why teams won't give him a real shot for a few years to run their offense.

I'm not sure because I don't watch much NBA until the playoffs, but my suspicion is that while he is an excellent floor general who has become a reliable 3 point shooter, he offers very little in the area of penetration, he's virtually no threat to score unless wide open behind the arc and he's a defensive liability. I like Marshall a lot and I think he'll continue to get chances. But he needs to learn how to beat his man and get into the lane. If he can do that, that will go a very long way to solidifying his position in the league.

He makes James Harden look like the defensive player of the year on that end of the court for starters.

I like Kendall a lot and he is a true college PG. He is correctly virtually no threat to score and being able to only hit a three when he is wide open and can get set is not the definition of a reliable three point shooter. His ceiling in the NBA is as a backup PG. The year that he started the Lakers were a BAD team.

76ers traded Kendall to the Utah Jazz for a player(I never heard of) and 2 future 2nd round picks. The Jazz promptly cut Marshall. I guess I don't understand the NBA but why would you trade 2 draft picks for a guy you are just going to waive?

I wouldn't be surprised if you see him show up on the roster in Houston eventually next season. D'Antoni likes him and his best year statistically was with D'Antoni in LA. Unfortunately Marshall did tear his ACL and for a guy that isn't the quickest or most explosive.... I wonder if the injury could be the nail in the coffin with the NBA career.

76ers traded Kendall to the Utah Jazz for a player(I never heard of) and 2 future 2nd round picks. The Jazz promptly cut Marshall. I guess I don't understand the NBA but why would you trade 2 draft picks for a guy you are just going to waive?
Because by cutting him when they did the Jazz cleared room for 2 mill worth of salary.

I love kendal but I think we all knew his skill set was awesome but athletically he is limited when compared to NBA players. he is a great passer for sure and he IMO has a really good understanding of the game, his better career path may well be as a coach than a player. But when you are playing against athleticism like you see in NBA players, when the last guy on your bench would be a college star, you have to be able to match that with much more than a great ability to pass the ball.

kendal can and most likely will make a good deal of money in Europe but when he is done with that I really hope he gets in to coaching. Former PGs I*MO make the best coaches and especially those with that extra ability to understand the game that kendal has.

It is hard for your PG in the NBA to be a role player. Love KM's game, and it was great for college and could possibly work in the NBA, but your team has to have superstars for him to feed them the ball. I said during his draft year that he would have been a nice PG for Miami when they had Bron.

Lakers was going to keep him, but they wanted marshall on a cheaper contract. They waived and was going to re-signed him, but Bucks picked him up instead.

Part of staying in the NBA is finding the right situation and some guys, even more talented then Kendall never find that.

He needs to get ready to start looking into his coaching future.

I think KM can get another 5 years. I can see one day him being a valuable back up PG. IMHO if you put him on one of the super teams as a back up to a kyrie Irving his passing becomes appreciated. Of course it would be nice for him to hit jumpers and play D, but if he had all that he would not be traded for 2nd round picks.

Reactions: jeans15
There are a lot of great college players that are lucky to be role players at the next level, no one epitomizes this more than guys like Hansbrough and Laettner. I'm afraid Paige may be another one of those guys. It's simply very difficult to make the final cut that is the NBA.

From HoopsVibe:

"Here’s a peak inside exactly what the odds are of playing professional basketball. We suggest staying awake in math class just in case your crossover dribble doesn’t prove to be quite as lethal as you thought.

• High School Players: 545,844
  • College Players: 17,500
  • Draftees: 48
If we break this down into percentages it is even more impressive.

• Players that make the jump from high school to college: 2.9%
  • Players that make the jump from college to pro: 1.3%
  • Players that make the jump from high school to pro: .03%
This means out of every 10,000 kids playing basketball in high school only 3 will make it to the pros. Note, this doesn’t mean they’re going to stay in the pros more than 5 seconds. This doesn’t mean they’re going to get a sneaker deal and be in a Pepsi commercial. This simply means they’ll get drafted."

I agree with percentages, but I disagree with Paige. I think your going to see a diffrent guy in the NBA just because he can play PG. We all know he can get hot and IMHO it is still debatable if Paige was a better PG option than Berry last year. Kid is going to get his chance. Reggie Bullock has got to get healthy or he might not get many more shots.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT