ADVERTISEMENT

Kerwin Walton,........Well??.................................................

If Leaky could just get the ball to go in the damn basket he could have a career in the nba. He’s obviously not very explosive but his length makes it easy for him to get shots off over just about anyone. I’ve said it a million times but if he could perfect that running floater from about 6-8 feet he would be almost unstoppable on offense. How many guys are quick enough to get in position AND have the length to contest or block his shot in that scenario? Not many. He seems to get one or two looks like that every game but they almost never drop.

Also, the pros use PED’s. Just give him a few cycles of whatever Lebron and Giannis are on.
LOL LeBron and Giannis are each about 2X the size and muscle mass of Leaky. Get him on the PEDs STAT!:)

I don't know if at this point Leaky can become a decent shooter. Just so inconsistent. He will have outlier games where he knocks down 2-4 threes - followed by games where he is Master Bricklayer from 3, like the Louisville game. He made none, and had a couple wide open ones, with time to line up the shot, and both almos broke the backboard. He has to be about the fourth or fifth 3-point shooting option, even on this not-great-perimeter-shooting team. I find myself yelling, "don't shoot that!" There's a reason teams give him that shot. We have much better options inside, or having Kerwin take a 3 (or Platek or even RJ or Love).

He needs to make his living from 15 feet and in, and leveraging his speed and size getting to the rim, as others have said.

Uhh, George Lynch averaged 14 and 9 his junior and senior years and shot 51% from the field. He wasn't a great offensive player but he was miles ahead of Leaky. And while we all like to say that Leaky is a good defender, he is not in Lynch's class as a defender either.

Could Leaky become a Theo Pinson-type guy? Pinson was a bit better of a scorer, and was a better overall Swiss Army Knife, stat stuffer than Leaky. And Pinson seemed smarter at basketball IQ, had a higher motor, etc.

So, maybe not a good comparison, but Theo has done pretty well in the NBA, at least for a while, right?
Pinson can’t even get on the court now and he’d beat the brakes off of Leaky. I even think leaky has the skill, but lacks the IT factor. No boy dog.

He needs to make his living from 15 feet and in, and leveraging his speed and size getting to the rim, as others have said.

Nailed it. That's exactly right. He needs to be able to make mid range jumpers and maybe get a tutorial from Justin Jackson on how to utilize the floater. If he shoots a 3, it should be at the end of the shot clock only. It's mindboggling that he doesn't drive to the rim more than he does. With his length, he should be able to finish over or around most defenders. But you mentioned it at the beginning of your poast - he's physically weak. That probably deters him from driving some.

LOL LeBron and Giannis are each about 2X the size and muscle mass of Leaky. Get him on the PEDs STAT!

Those NBA nutritionists must really know what they're doing...

dhlpdad1kv521.jpg

Could Leaky become a Theo Pinson-type guy? Pinson was a bit better of a scorer, and was a better overall Swiss Army Knife, stat stuffer than Leaky. And Pinson seemed smarter at basketball IQ, had a higher motor, etc.

So, maybe not a good comparison, but Theo has done pretty well in the NBA, at least for a while, right?
Theo has bounced back and forth with the G league and NBA contracts. Got a little run with the Nets while they were transitioning their roster.

Those NBA nutritionists must really know what they're doing...

dhlpdad1kv521.jpg
This is crazy, hilarious. Good find.

Reminds me of pics which I think were legit of Mark McGwire when he was in high school or college (skinny as a rail) to when he was at his "peak" (all 'roided out).

You couldn't even believe it was the same human being.

Theo has bounced back and forth with the G league and NBA contracts. Got a little run with the Nets while they were transitioning their roster.
I have no idea what G league pays compared to overseas, but I hope Theo does whatever to make a good living playing. He deserves it. He's put in a ton of work, and is one of my favorites from an attitude, hard work, leader, personality standpoint.

I have no idea what G league pays compared to overseas, but I hope Theo does whatever to make a good living playing. He deserves it. He's put in a ton of work, and is one of my favorites from an attitude, hard work, leader, personality standpoint.
He is on the Knicks roster this year. Only dressed in 9 out of their 32 games, but I think he has a full roster spot. It may still be a two way deal with their G-League affiliate though.

To get back to a thread about Walton as long as the Quiet Assassin can continue to connect on three or four triples a game the team will continue to grow and soar...
No doubt. I'm a bit surprised how everyone is acting like he was an unknown though. He was a 4 star top hundred recruit, based almost fully on his near the top of the class shooting ability.

No doubt. I'm a bit surprised how everyone is acting like he was an unknown though. He was a 4 star top hundred recruit, based almost fully on his near the top of the class shooting ability.
Probably because we’re gun shy. We bring in ”shooters” and they’ve most done just that, shoot. As Roy said, we need some “makers”! Kerwin is one of those. That ability is sooooo vital to our offense. It almost can’t be overstated.

I hope Walton turns out to be a 4 year guy. He could probably be the best 3 pt shooter in the ACC next year, so just imagine what he could do as a senior.

Spending a summer in the gym working on a few really good dribble drive moves will be a game changer too.

Probably because we’re gun shy. We bring in ”shooters” and they’ve most done just that, shoot. As Roy said, we need some “makers”! Kerwin is one of those. That ability is sooooo vital to our offense. It almost can’t be overstated.
He is a "maker" and, not just a spot up 3pt threat.... he's had some great flashes of offense - with his fake, step and shoot, and then his drives to the lane to set up lay-ups and mid-range. Kerwin is benefitting now because he's providing a skill the team dearly needs and that will pay off well down the track for the Heels (in 2-3yrs)

Reactions: Archer2

Theo's on a two way contract, so not really even on an NBA roster and fairly good odds of being out of the league shortly. Theo's also a better interior scorer/creator, passer, quicker, and probably better defender. Leaky's not even a passable ACC offensive player.

I don't know how far you go back, but former Tar Heels (Dudley Bradley and George Lynch) were not good offensive players in college and had decent pro careers.

1986: Bradley Breaks Bank - YouTube
Dudley Bradley Steal vs NC State January 17, 1979 - YouTube
I don't know Bradley, but Lynch and Leaky aren't in the same stratosphere as players.

Lynch career stats: 18.9 pts/40, 52.4% 2pt, 11.8 reb/40, 2.6 st/40, dominant defensive player, 2nd leading scorer on a championship team. Lynch was a fantastic offensive player in college.

Leaky career stats: 8.8 pts/40, 42.8% 2pt, 26.9% 3pt, 7.3 reb/40, 1.8 st/30, good help defender, marginal starter on a bubble team

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT