ADVERTISEMENT

Late stuff (dook game)...

How about cut it into 3 pieces and give Seth a 1/3?
IMO he played good defense as usual and attacked the rack on offense not relying on open 3's
The work Seth does on the defensive end can not be over stated, he is terrific. Fans don't typically look at much more than points scored, the rebounding at times, and the occasional amazing play. But the stuff that happens off the ball few really notice if really enjoyable for me. If you score on Seth you earned the heck out of it because he does not give you easy looks. I love top watch a guy get down hill on Seth and drive, Seth stays with him step for step and typically stones you at the end, has you looking for an escape pass out in panic. It forces offenses to have to reload with the clock ticking down. He is the guard version of Leaky or Jackie.

One other point I want to make, ESPN's favorite team (the dukies) get their butts handed to them in the dome and ESPN could not switch to the Ky Tenn game quick enough! But hey, appreciate it ABC/Disney dukie lovers, enjoyed watching Tenn take down Ky at RUPP a lot as well! Now that is what I call a great double header! LOL

Frankly I'm a little surprised that we are still complaining about refs these days. We give as good as we get, and we initiate plenty of the contact. Sure, as a biased fan I tend to see more bad calls against us, and seldom analyze bad calls that favor us. But I'm not naive enough to think the calls are as unbalanced as they look through my Carolina blue-tinted glasses.
I still haven't gotten over Manek being tossed against Baylor 2 years ago!

Frankly I'm a little surprised that we are still complaining about refs these days. We give as good as we get, and we initiate plenty of the contact. Sure, as a biased fan I tend to see more bad calls against us, and seldom analyze bad calls that favor us. But I'm not naive enough to think the calls are as unbalanced as they look through my Carolina blue-tinted glasses.
I disagree… and maybe I’ve got my Carolina Blue shades on, but there’s a difference between blaming the refs and complaining about allowing muggings to take place.

Several teams this year have resorted to out-and-out WWE tactics against the Heels and I don’t see Hubert employing those same tactics.

And he easily could…. He has High, withers and Okonkgwo with 5 fouls each who could go out there and thug it up… but the heels don’t do that.

Sure Bacot got away with one of the most obvious hip-and-shoulder fouls in history, but that is rare and it’s frustration… it’s not a game plan.

So I believe, reflecting on yesterdays game, the refs were wrong to allow play to keep going, whilst allowing obvious thug plays.

I totally agree with you it SHOULD BE an assist. No question. Also pointing out the “reasoning” why they do not mark it as an assist. It’s not right but it’s how they keep them. I don’t think it’s even that subjective unfortunately
Actually, they are extremely subjective. The count last night was just wrongly assessed.

From the NCAA manual:
SECTION 5—ASSISTS: A player is credited with an assist when the player makes, in the judgment of the statistician, the principal pass contributing directly to a field goal (or an awarded score of two or threepoints)... when the pass was a major part of the play. .Such a pass should be either (a) a pass that finds a player free after he or she has maneuvered without the ball for a positional advantage, or (b) a pass that gives the receiving player a positional advantage he or she otherwise would not have had.
Philosophy: An assist should be more than a routine pass that just happens to be followed by a field goal. It should be a conscious effort to find the open player or to help a player work free. There should not be a limit on the number of dribbles by the receiver... There is no restraint on the distance or type of shot made, for these are not the crucial factors in determiningwhether an assist should be credited.

Each missed Assist I mentioned from Saturday is covered by those highighted definitions, but the part that has been going wrong is the "judgment" aspect. And ironically, the "routine passes" almost always get credited --- hell, those probably accounted for half of Coby's while he was here --- while the sweet dimes that enable drives for a bunny get overlooked, despite the direction that there "should not be a limit on the number of dribbles by the receiver"...
Sheesh. Go figure... :rolleyes:

Fun game. So much good happens when the ball gets in the paint. That is why we have been begging for it to happen like the pass Bacot got out to RJ for a three. Couple that with Dook's weak interior and it really hurt them.

I really thought Mitchell would have more of an impact. Would like to see Washington more like Dsouthr but it's tough when Bacot and Ingram are playing like that. I would want to ride them too.

Would like others opinion, was our fast break a product of us or Dooks poor transition defense. I think they made us look better in that area than we are but sure is fun to watch.

Hope Cadeau keeps shooting if he is wide open and makes a few. Gonna get tougher for him if he can't at least be a somewhat of a threat to make a shot. Have been seeing teams suck down further the last 3 to 4 games. Make a few and that will go away.

A good night. I was a little worried beforehand. Lot of seeding implications were riding on that game I think.

What can you say about an incredible UNC/dook game. UNC flat outplayed dook. UNC did traditional UNC things with fng in your face defense and transition scoring .. and it is amazing how great shooters excel in transition because it's "their game". EC was simply awesome in the transition game. Don't worry about the chippy pf's being called on you or the fact your outside shots are a little flat just keep working on it. Ingram and Cormac seem to get their groove on in that transition game and that's why transition is so important to UNC's game. RJ was mauled but he did exactly what he needed to do to win with his constant movement.

Finally .. I know I rag on Bacot for his shortcomings but the reason why I been ragging on him is because he simply has not been doing the things he finally did last night. He got away from trying to challenge size and double/triple teams in the paint facing the rim and moved out to the baseline and showed a nice T-50'ish jump hook .. WTG Mando and that is a game changer for other teams scouting and prepping for UNC.

What a great win ! GO HEELS !!!

Finally .. I know I rag on Bacot for his shortcomings but the reason why I been ragging on him is because he simply has not been doing the things he finally did last night. He got away from trying to challenge size and double/triple teams in the paint facing the rim and moved out to the baseline and showed a nice T-50'ish jump hook .. WTG Mando and that is a game changer for other teams scouting and prepping for UNC.
The above paragraph is an excellent example of how to point out player flaws without trolling....

I don't think some posters realise how unpleasant it is to read: "so and so is lazy..."

What can you say about an incredible UNC/dook game. UNC flat outplayed dook. UNC did traditional UNC things with fng in your face defense and transition scoring .. and it is amazing how great shooters excel in transition because it's "their game". EC was simply awesome in the transition game. Don't worry about the chippy pf's being called on you or the fact your outside shots are a little flat just keep working on it. Ingram and Cormac seem to get their groove on in that transition game and that's why transition is so important to UNC's game. RJ was mauled but he did exactly what he needed to do to win with his constant movement.

What a great win ! GO HEELS !!!

Great post but I'm going to disagree on one thing. I don't think Cadeau's shots are flat. They have good arc and great rotation, they are just a little long or a little short. I can tell he's getting closer and once a couple of them drop, it's going to be on like a pot of smoked neck bone.

Great post but I'm going to disagree on one thing. I don't think Cadeau's shots are flat. They have good arc and great rotation, they are just a little long or a little short. I can tell he's getting closer and once a couple of them drop, it's going to be on like a pot of smoked neck bone.
I thnk it was EC's last 3 attempt that rattled around for a half sec, then popped out. Man, I was begging for that shot to drop.

I'm sure it's mostly in his head at this point. But on some of those perimeter shots, it looks like his feet are a little unbalanced? (for lack of a better word). I'm certainly no expert, so I don't know for sure, but just something looked a little off.

If he can just see a few go in, that might open it up for him. Just imagine how much more difficult he will be to guard once that happens.

- And on that note, Christian Laettner Kyle Flopowski is a dirty POS. Cheap-shotting jackass instigated 3 scuffles and should've been called for 2 flagrants. Just breaks my heart that he was -11 for the game. F*** him.
The ENTIRE program is full of jerks
I'm hearing that ASS Coach Carrawell got slick out the mouth toward Harrison Ingram after the game. Which fits his wanna be thug attitude while playing at dook

That was a complete arse whuppin'! Pukes deserved every bit of it and Hubs outclassed Face as well! Flopshevski is as dirty as they come and should have at least 1 flagrant in that fame! Mitchell and Proctor were no shows and the rest of the pukes had their milkshakes drunk! I think the reffing was absolutely horrible but not one sided. Both teams suffered from bad calls but we had stronger character! Awesome bounce back and even better leadership by Bacot! EC is so close to putting it all together! His shot is looming more and more natural. Taking shots in rhythm instead of aiming will make a big difference. Ryan is opposite in the sense he needs to slow his release a tic!

GDTBATH!

EC gets called for fouling a three point shooter by his hip barely touching the shooter as the ball was already released
These "you have to give room for the shooter to come down" calls are almost always BS. 90% of them should be flop calls instead. That was definitely one of them.

Yes, you absolutely should be prevented from moving under an airborne player. But that's not what's being called these days.

That said, unless/until the refs start calling this right, our guys need to learn to move out of the way even when they aren't in the way - because if I touch you on my way down, you committed the foul.

Last edited:
Love Seth but dont understand why he goes for the acrobatic layups instead of throwing down monster dunks.

Also, I loved Manek and even last year was missing him badly. This year, I have gotten over him. Ingram has been a breath of fresh air. He may not score in bunches every game like Manek but he does everything else so much better. He is a rebounding machine. Both players brought a lot of energy and passion though. I think that is why both teams were so successful. UNC really hit their stride when Manek became full time starter.

I disagree… and maybe I’ve got my Carolina Blue shades on, but there’s a difference between blaming the refs and complaining about allowing muggings to take place.

Several teams this year have resorted to out-and-out WWE tactics against the Heels and I don’t see Hubert employing those same tactics.

And he easily could…. He has High, withers and Okonkgwo with 5 fouls each who could go out there and thug it up… but the heels don’t do that.

Sure Bacot got away with one of the most obvious hip-and-shoulder fouls in history, but that is rare and it’s frustration… it’s not a game plan.

So I believe, reflecting on yesterdays game, the refs were wrong to allow play to keep going, whilst allowing obvious thug plays.
I definitely agree with you on a couple of teams we faced. But we aren't the pussies this year that we sometimes have been. And don't shake your head over that comment - we've all criticized our softness from time to time in the past.

The current team is gritty and tough. I'm glad to see it. In previous years I have lamented that we didn't have enough gritty players to put 5 on the floor. And our grittiest players weren't necessarily our best players. But this season we have more than a full squad of gritty players and most of them are good enough to start.

I'd say RJ and Cormac are our grittiest players, but we have several more.

Who's on your All-Grit Team?

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
Love Seth but dont understand why he goes for the acrobatic layups instead of throwing down monster dunks.

Also, I loved Manek and even last year was missing him badly. This year, I have gotten over him. Ingram has been a breath of fresh air. He may not score in bunches every game like Manek but he does everything else so much better. He is a rebounding machine. Both players brought a lot of energy and passion though. I think that is why both teams were so successful. UNC really hit their stride when Manek became full time starter.
Seth is 6 2”, 6 3” and has mad hops for sure, but he’s still on the smaller side of 6’. It takes a lot to jump that high consistently for smaller guys. Watch him when he jumps. If he has to make a move or go side to side, his jumps are limited on height. He’s fine just like he is. Keep slashing and finishing and throw down a highlight every once in a while.

I was worried a bit about Bacot's health since he felt the pop in his knee. Now it sounds like it was his head and the team's approach that needed to be fixed and the players only meeting and HD's subsequent talk with Bacot did the trick. We had been flirting with a loss the last several games and it finally happened because we had gotten somewhat away from the game we started playing post UConn and UK.

Props to Hubert. He by far was the better coach tonight- knowing what buttons to push and making tweaks. I rewatched the game yesterday and the little moves and actions to get Bacot the ball were brilliant. Also once they started backing off EC, he had EC start screening for RJ. Due to EC's guy playing off no one was there to pick up RJ. Just love how Hubert and staff are coaching.

The ENTIRE program is full of jerks
I'm hearing that ASS Coach Carrawell got slick out the mouth toward Harrison Ingram after the game. Which fits his wanna be thug attitude while playing at dook
Yeah this is 💯 in character for punk thug wannabe player Carawell.

HI is WAY cooler, classier, smarter than to engage with this lil POS punk CC but seriously HI is a big strong dude who would crush CC in a few seconds if he wanted too. Talk is cheap and ill advised.
These "you have to give room for the shooter to come down" calls are almost always BS. 90% of them should be flop calls instead. That was definitely one of them.

Yes, you absolutely should be prevented from moving under an airborne player. But that's not what's being called these days.

That said, unless/until the refs start calling this right, our guys need to learn to move out of the way even when they aren't in the way - because if I touch you on my way down, you committed the foul.
yes - except for when it’s against the Heels. Like when somehow Ingram got taken down on a 3 shot and surprise! they didn’t show the replay but announcers say refs said HI “kicked his legs out” to initiate contact. But that is rarely if ever called on Dook. Weird. Not saying bad calls don’t go both ways. For sure we’ve seen they do. But this item in particular leaves a lot of improvement opportunity re officiating consistency in who initiates contact. Who goes down like sniper target when any minor brush contact occurs.

Props to Hubert. He by far was the better coach tonight- knowing what buttons to push and making tweaks. I rewatched the game yesterday and the little moves and actions to get Bacot the ball were brilliant. Also once they started backing off EC, he had EC start screening for RJ. Due to EC's guy playing off no one was there to pick up RJ. Just love how Hubert and staff are coaching.
I loved a lot about how he had all the guys ready to play - and didn’t feel the need to sub in guys who might hurt us even when up 15. RJ and HI played a ton but didn’t seem overly gassed.

I also loved the way hubs was so adamant imploring them to ALWAYS push the pace bringing the ball up on offense. It’s like they couldn’t go fast enough often enough for Hubert - in the right situations to run. Great to see

Just two general things that make this team such a joy to watch this year, especially when games are close or if they are going well. 1) how much they have leaders and emotional fire starters and how they all are laughing and supporting each other and genuinely like all the other guys on the team. That has been missing in recent past teams. Lots of internal strife on and off the court.

2) it seems like almost all the STUPID (and maybe selfish) basketball decisions have gone away. not to say they overthink it, but I can recall for literally every guy 1-8 times where some play looked appealing fools gold but they know game situation who should / shouldn’t shoot or drive etc - and you can just see them make right plays.

Play SMART. Play HARD. Play TOGETHER. This team epitomizes that - and I LOVE it.

That said, unless/until the refs start calling this right, our guys need to learn to move out of the way even when they aren't in the way - because if I touch you on my way down, you committed the foul. I understand and I 100% get what you are saying but you can’t call a foul on that play in which a player barely gets touched and not call a foul on Ingram who is actually physically tackled. One play was much more egregious than the other. The refs have to keep things consistent as best as they can. RJ’s hold?? Flipper is over his back and literally has him in a headlock and RJ grabs his arm. It should have been a no call. Flipper doesn’t get called for his headlocks and clotheslines all game long. When they didn’t call flipper for a flagrant one earlier in the game when RJ got hit after the whistle I actually thought that was a good no call but how can they call that one on RJ and not the other on flip? I know they are different plays and both have to be judged on their own individual merits but once again keep the calls consistent. I always try and look at calls objectively and without being biased. GDTBATH

Seth is 6 2”, 6 3” and has mad hops for sure, but he’s still on the smaller side of 6’. It takes a lot to jump that high consistently for smaller guys. Watch him when he jumps. If he has to make a move or go side to side, his jumps are limited on height. He’s fine just like he is. Keep slashing and finishing and throw down a highlight every once in a while.
I agree. I just think he jumps too far out and then tries to do an acrobatic layup and sometimes it has cost him a basket.. If he would jump closer, he could still easily dunk it. Might not be a flashy dunk but still.

Seth struggles jumping off one foot. He's a much better two foot jumper. The problem is that most of his opportunities are going to be on a dive to the basket or a run out, which is going to promote one foot jumping rather than 2.
I knew a kid that graduated a few years ago, and he was a two foot jumper. Ran track his Senior year and High jumped. He had to work at it, but the first meet of the year he jumped 6'2" ( He is 6' tall) by the postseason he was jumping 6'7". He will need to work at it, just like he worked on his shot last Summer.

Seth struggles jumping off one foot. He's a much better two foot jumper. The problem is that most of his opportunities are going to be on a dive to the basket or a run out, which is going to promote one foot jumping rather than 2.
He was totally fine on Sat. I don’t know what % he shot in close but I thought he finished inside, great! There was only one play where he sort of got caught under the rim and was getting contact so couldn’t jump and left it a bit short but other side his inside shooting and finishing was great. I don’t recall his shots getting blocked either.

He’s not the tallest guy out there but there was one rebound where his hands looked like 20 inches above everyone else. That was a two feet jump. He can jump out of the gym.

That was a complete arse whuppin'! Pukes deserved every bit of it and Hubs outclassed Face as well! Flopshevski is as dirty as they come and should have at least 1 flagrant in that fame! Mitchell and Proctor were no shows and the rest of the pukes had their milkshakes drunk! I think the reffing was absolutely horrible but not one sided. Both teams suffered from bad calls but we had stronger character! Awesome bounce back and even better leadership by Bacot! EC is so close to putting it all together! His shot is looming more and more natural. Taking shots in rhythm instead of aiming will make a big difference. Ryan is opposite in the sense he needs to slow his release a tic!

GDTBATH!
I don't really care how the refs call a game, was that a foul on Cadeau, while I may have seen it more as a no call I don't really have a problem if a ref calls that, just as long as it is a consistent call. If it is a call on our end then it should be a call on the other end as well, if it was a foul in the first half then it should be in the second as well, consistency. Part of the learning curve for freshmen has to be adjusting what they are doing on the court to the way the refs are calling the game, if they are allowing physical play then get in their grill, if they are calling the touch foul nonsense then back away a bit.
I just replied to a post about experience or talent, well this is an area that experience really helps in. But if the refs don't call it consistently the players can not adjust, it chokes out their ability to play, no one pays to see refs ability to blow a freakin whistle. To many games are lacking the consistency of the calls from the refs, the league needs to deal with this, harshly if they have to.

Is it me or are you noticing that there seems to be more refs looking at if the ball went in to call a foul? I see a lot that I felt there should be a foul called and suspect there would have been had the ball not gone in but because it did no whistle? The ball going in or not should never determine if a foul is called.

I agree that the refs are getting progressively worse AND they seem to wait to see the outcome more often now than before. EC will soon learn not to put himself in situations where a bad call could be made. It is part of the firehose he is drinking from and he has proved to be up to the task! NCAA will soon have to address the reffing issue, but UNC has adjusted to the physical play that is being allowed now!

...and that score didn't reflect what we did to them.

It's late so I'll keep this brief:
- as y'all likely know, there was a players-only meeting after the GaTech game. As I alluded to previously, the subjects covered --- recommitmemt to ball movement, playing inside-out, toughness, and making the extra effort to finish --- apparently took.

- FINISHING. Sudddenly Mando was the finisher we saw 2 years ago and took Flopowski to school... Cormac and Seth converted thru contact, Ingram was in absolute beast-mode

- JWash and Withers weren't asked to do much tonight but they delivered when they were in

- To his credit, RJ didn't let a game-long f***ing mugging goad him into forces --- he trusted his teammates --- Cormac played the all-around floor game we've looked for, and Cadeau came outta the gate running the show like a thing of beauty.

- speaking of that, at the half, 23 of our 45 points had come in TRANSITION --- we secured the rebounds, claimed loose balls and got in our lanes --- and Eliot drove the Ferrari. Hell, even when Mando was absolutely GASSED in the first half (from the refs not stopping play) the big fella nonetheless ran the floor like he was on a mission. And when we forced a TO, we converted, baby.

- except for a few lapses of seeing man-and-ball, we played solid D 1-thru-5 --- at least 12 of dook's points came on just throwing up a prayer and getting lucky

- But of course, we've seen this movie too often --- after calling a solid game in the first half, the zebras allowed dook to get away with absolute mayhem. How many times did friggin Mitchell come over somebody's back or dive at our legs on rebounds and loose balls?

- And on that note, Christian Laettner Kyle Flopowski is a dirty POS. Cheap-shotting jackass instigated 3 scuffles and should've been called for 2 flagrants. Just breaks my heart that he was -11 for the game. F*** him.

- Finally, yeah, that was more like it. Mando and Ingram being the first 20-10 duo in a game like this since Jameson/Carter? Only 5 TOs vs 18 Assists? Hell yes... although on one annoying note, we need to replace whoever is keeping home stats. Hell, EC himself had 5 dimes tonight and that's not even arguable. That's like 15 shorted already this season. Come on, man.

Anyway, we fought off every bit of adversity and dookie nonsense and never let them get within less than 8 after halftime, and folks, it very easily could've been a bigger margin. Man... if Eliot could just see a couple of 3s go down, or Seth could knock one down that's not from the corner? Just dayum at what we could do to teams! Let's hope we can carry tonight's effort over to Tuesday though. Clemson has been the hard-luck kids, and we can't afford a letdown vs an angry team. With that said, I am enjoying this one tonight...
😁:cool:
Seth's 1st half minutes were huge when Dook was so bent on taking RJ away

If EC start hitting shots ooHH MY GOODNESS!!!
Much more important that Ingram and Ryan shoot it like they did against Duke. Would be big if Ingram shoots it like he did against Duke, especially from 2PT range. It was getting dicey there for a while for him.

Perhaps some encouraging signs from Ryan? 36% from 3 his last 6 games. Pretty up and down during that stretch still, but hopefully a step in the right direction.

Cadeau doesn't shoot a high enough volume for it to be a game changer IMO. His getting the free throw line at a high rate like he has recently will help this team.

I know it's really simple, but perimeter shooting will go a really long way this season. If Ingram and Ryan are consistently giving you 3/8 3PT shooting games, it will be difficult to beat UNC.

Concerning Seth leaping and finessing a shot in more than just slamming it down hard... What I see is he seems to struggle with his feet placement before he leaps, he is elevating at an odd angle which looks to me like he is to concerned that his attempt will be blocked. Kid was a quick leaper in high school which should translate in to a lot more strong flushes than we have seen. I think he needs to elevate a step sooner to have that better angle to flush it.

Seth's 1st half minutes were huge when Dook was so bent on taking RJ away
LOL, I thought it was funny, duke worked so hard to take RJ out of this game and what did they achieve, they eliminated Proctor from doing his thing because he spent the whole game trying to stop RJ. RJ still ends up with 17 while Proctor got only 2 points for the night and everyone else got cleaner looks because Proctor could not help off.

DSouthr: Truth ^. To me, it proves this point - Hubert > Face

Last season we gnashed our teeth over Hubert: Please, please make in-game adjustments, we wailed!
This season, our game planning strategies, in-game adjustments, substitution patterns, and execution are
substantially improved.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT