ADVERTISEMENT

Les Miles

I think we got Chizik for maybe another year. If the D takes off next season and the offense is still winning 9-10 games Chizik is gone. I think he goes back to the SEC.. maybe Tenn in a year or two if Butch doesn't last.
He goes back to the SEC based on what? Nobody in the SEC (fans, media) respects him because they attribute his national championship solely to Cam Newton and see the rest of his head coaching years at Iowa State and Auburn as a bust.

If anything, I see an ACC team hiring him, a la Miami hiring Richt. If you're an SEC school (except for Kentucky, Vandy, or Miss State) and you hire an SEC retread, you will be heavily criticized. If you're basically any ACC school and you hire an SEC retread, you're lauded for making a good hire (again, see Mark Richt...and Cutcliff).

He goes back to the SEC based on what? Nobody in the SEC (fans, media) respects him because they attribute his national championship solely to Cam Newton and see the rest of his head coaching years at Iowa State and Auburn as a bust.

If anything, I see an ACC team hiring him, a la Miami hiring Richt. If you're an SEC school (except for Kentucky, Vandy, or Miss State) and you hire an SEC retread, you will be heavily criticized. If you're basically any ACC school and you hire an SEC retread, you're lauded for making a good hire (again, see Mark Richt...and Cutcliff).
I agree with everything here except I hate lumping Richt in with Cutcliffe in the same category. I don't think Richt should have ever been let go in the first place. But your point is a good one, ex-SEC coaches do always seem to be hailed as good hires in the ACC.

I agree with everything here except I hate lumping Richt in with Cutcliffe in the same category. I don't think Richt should have ever been let go in the first place. But your point is a good one, ex-SEC coaches do always seem to be hailed as good hires in the ACC.

I agree Chizk ain't going back to the SEC as a HC. I read an expert the other day that said we still don't have the talent on the DL or at LB and I don't think that is changing in a couple of years.

And that's the reason you can expect MooU to hire Derek Mason once Vandy fires him and Doeren loses another game to UNC.

I think we got Chizik for maybe another year. If the D takes off next season and the offense is still winning 9-10 games Chizik is gone. I think he goes back to the SEC.. maybe Tenn in a year or two if Butch doesn't last.

UT?? Sorry but I cant see that happening ... especially since Butch Jones is recruiting well and has his team winning without the bonehead mistakes that plagued them in the past. I think a very important factor is that Chizik just likes living and working there ... sometimes thats a big thing. He stays with Fedora IMO.

Different expectations from the UGA fanbase than that of the UNC fanbase. I listen to Atlanta sports talk radio every day and UGA fans had been done with Richt for three seasons prior to last season. Only a small subset of the Georgia fanbase was still defending Richt leading up to the beginning of last season, and after the loss to Florida, even those select few stopped calling in and defending him.

It's just a different world. They criticized Richt for not bringing in elite recruiting classes...............go check their recruiting class rank for the past 5 seasons and tell me if you think think that's "not elite." Everyone down here is brainwashed into thinking Richt was the root of all evil in terms of UGA's lack of SECCG titles and national titles. After the Ole Miss blowout last weekend, no one was even that mad. The radio hosts framed it as "well this loss is on Mark Richt for terrible recruiting the past couple years -- Ole Miss just has way more talent" and the fans agreed LOL. Ole friggin Miss.

Reactions: UNC '92
That freaking loss to uga is gonna haunt us as bad as last years to lil carolina.
Yep. I've said all along before that game and after, UGA is a 9-win team at best. Someone on the premium board challenged me when I said I'd bet a year membership they don't win the East. I forgot to respond back.....should have lol.

The loss won't haunt us as much as last year because I don't think we are even a remote playoff candidate this year. The '16 Heels still have two regular season losses left in them IMO.

Different expectations from the UGA fanbase than that of the UNC fanbase. I listen to Atlanta sports talk radio every day and UGA fans had been done with Richt for three seasons prior to last season. Only a small subset of the Georgia fanbase was still defending Richt leading up to the beginning of last season, and after the loss to Florida, even those select few stopped calling in and defending him.

It's just a different world. They criticized Richt for not bringing in elite recruiting classes...............go check their recruiting class rank for the past 5 seasons and tell me if you think think that's "not elite." Everyone down here is brainwashed into thinking Richt was the root of all evil in terms of UGA's lack of SECCG titles and national titles. After the Ole Miss blowout last weekend, no one was even that mad. The radio hosts framed it as "well this loss is on Mark Richt for terrible recruiting the past couple years -- Ole Miss just has way more talent" and the fans agreed LOL. Ole friggin Miss.
Yep. I lived in Atlanta until 2006. At the time they were still pretty happy with him, but it went downhill quickly after 2010. Richt averaged about 10 wins a year. In my book, UNC fan or not, that's getting it done. You seriously have to live around them for awhile to see what you are saying about that group. They are as insufferable as Gator fans down here in central Florida. And they all think playing for the NC every year is the difference between success and failure.

Reactions: Heels Noir
Yep. I lived in Atlanta until 2006. At the time they were still pretty happy with him, but it went downhill quickly after 2010. Richt averaged about 10 wins a year. In my book, UNC fan or not, that's getting it done. You seriously have to live around them for awhile to see what you are saying about them. They are as insufferable as Gator fans down here in central Florida. And they all think playing for the NC every year is the difference between success and failure.
Yes, you know what I'm talking about. They are immensely insufferable.

Ironically though, they share similar problems UNC Football has, just on a different scale: attendance issues, atmosphere issues, parking issues. UNC and UGA are very similar institutions in a lot of ways. One big difference is UGA only competes with Tech for Georgian allegiance whereas we compete with a massive school in State and a national powerhouse in Duke basketball

In my opinion, Tom Herman makes the most sense for LSU. I know Jimbo has a history with them, but why would he leave FSU? If his goal is to contend for the national championship each year, he would have a slightly easier path to the Playoff if he stays in the ACC.

As a life-long LSU fan I totally agree with you MWHeels. I would like to see Gary Patterson as our next head coach. With the talent in LA, our ability to recruit the Houston area and CGP's connection to talent in DFW he could build a juggernaut at LSU

Does seem kind of strange to blame it all on Richt but since I don't follow GA football closely, maybe they have a point.

I just think the big SEC football schools are going to remain in a tizzy if Alabama keeps dominating them and perhaps that's going to persist for some time. I'd give whomever takes the LSU job 5 years max unless he can beat Alabama for the SEC title.

As a life-long LSU fan I totally agree with you MWHeels. I would like to see Gary Patterson as our next head coach. With the talent in LA, our ability to recruit the Houston area and CGP's connection to talent in DFW he could build a juggernaut at LSU
Patterson is indeed a game changing possibility. That man has worked a true miracle at TCU. Patterson versus Saban: Epic.

Does seem kind of strange to blame it all on Richt but since I don't follow GA football closely, maybe they have a point.

I just think the big SEC football schools are going to remain in a tizzy if Alabama keeps dominating them and perhaps that's going to persist for some time. I'd give whomever takes the LSU job 5 years max unless he can beat Alabama for the SEC title.
Richt is without any doubt the 2nd best coach in UGA history.

Yes - everybody in the SEC now is being compared to Saban and then the best coach in that school's history and then the coach of whoever is the school's biggest rival (2nd biggest for Auburn). Any SEC coach (other than those at Vandy and UK) failing in 2 of those 3 is on a hot seat.

Reactions: randman1
Patterson is indeed a game changing possibility. That man has worked a true miracle at TCU. Patterson versus Saban: Epic.
Ehh, Patterson has kinda gone stale as a "hot candidate" IMO. He may TCU arrive absolutely, but....their arrival is almost old news by now. They're in a P5 now and are kinda just 'one of the guys' now.

I keeping hearing Michigan State's Mark Dantonio as a possibility for the LSU job. I don't see that happening. He will only leave MSU when he retires.

I keeping hearing Michigan State's Mark Dantonio as a possibility for the LSU job. I don't see that happening. He will only leave MSU when he retires.
He's known for defense and not offense. LSU fans are craving offense. Thus why Fedora's name keeps getting tossed around.

Ehh, Patterson has kinda gone stale as a "hot candidate" IMO. He may TCU arrive absolutely, but....their arrival is almost old news by now. They're in a P5 now and are kinda just 'one of the guys' now.
Last year TCU was 11-2 and the year before 12-1. And he got there by doing what many coaches cannot do, or else refuse to do, after they have been labelled a Winner: he changed, he learned something new.

Here is a reason Patterson might be the ideal choice for LSU: he is a defense guy, former top rate DC, who has now become the HC opening it up on offense. LSU football historically demands a coach who is focused on D and the running game. That is Patterson. LSU fans now demand more offense and more open offense. That now is Patterson. Add in all that TX history which could make LSU as dominant a recruiting force there as anybody not UT, A&M, or OU, and Gary Patterson could the best candidate.

But would he leave Cow Town?

Reactions: lerario
Good post woadblue. To your points, Whether he would leave DFW is the big question, I think if the whole compensation package is attractive enough he would pull the trigger. As to recruiting I truly believe LSU/ CGP could potentially be equal to OU and second in the state to Texas.

Gary Patterson's vaunted 4-2-5 defense has kinda sucked the past couple seasons. Just saying. It's the defense he created to stop the spread, and now it's...not stopping the spread.

So there's that.

Perhaps, but as posted above his teams were 23-3 over the last 2 seasons with 2 and 3 star recruits. Les miles had 4 and 5 star recruits and didn't do as well as TCU.

Reactions: Raising Heel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT