ADVERTISEMENT

More to come?...

The part I think many are missing is Mikey Williams quote on playing at a HBCU. To paraphrase, If I'm going play and somebody is going to make big money off of it, but not the player, I would like to at least choose who profits. These kids know it's a business, and they are seen as a very valuable cheap resource.

Have you had a bad experience with punctuation? Did a semi-colon bully you? Maybe you feel exclamation points are too aggressive...

I will try to help you appear more learned even though you have resisted so far..an intelligent man does not have to refer to things he doesn't understand as "stupid". On the contrary, an intelligent person finds the things he doesn't understand as an opportunity to expand his knowledge and dives into the challenge! Is it the hyphen or the designation you object to? I don't understand the fear inspired by my African appearance but I acknowledge it exists and I've studied its effects my entire life. (I want to call it stupid, but that would allow it to sneak up on me!)

Secondly, it is the height of ignorance to believe you can determine someone's nationality or cultural identity by looking at them! For example, you or someone equally enlightened used Giannis as an example of people misidentifying others as African-American. He certainly "looks" like one to me, but a little discernment and a little intelligence and you realize he isn't. He is African-Hellenic (BTW: Greeks call themselves Hellenes not Greeks)

Thirdly, African-Americans come in all shades and colors partner so "looking" at them doesn't give as much information as you might think. Wesley Snipes and Steph Curry's mother, Sonya, are both African-American even though one has short kinky black hair, dark brown eyes, a wide nose, and very dark skin-the other has long, blonde hair, blue eyes, a thin, sharp nose, and very pale skin (she was "accused" of being white by George Shinn who was angry because he thought she was a white woman dating black men!) So in your world it is ok for Snipes to identify as African-American (if he agrees to drop the hyphen I guess) but Sonya cannot because she doesn't "look" the part.

Fourthly, What exactly do I look like??? There are peeps on here I have met back in the day when we had the in-person meet/greets! I bet they would say I "look" African-American if it makes you feel better! (But I look nothing like Mr. Snipes so maybe my appearance wouldn't quite fit into your comfortable world view)

Lastly, once you get past this ridiculous obsession with what I call myself, you will be able to see that it doesn't matter in the slightest and is nothing but a distraction that keeps you from dealing with the real American problem....valuing peeps that "look" or "sound" different without condescension or condition! Fight the real battle and all win!

You wrote all of that and didn't even address what @gobblercalls and @DSouthr were even questioning.

Looks like you lose @gary-7 . Seems that several people here are into polluting this board with some political and social commentary. You want in on this yet or are we going to have to wait until basketball is being played to read some of your genius takes?

Reactions: HeelFan58
Looks like you lose @gary-7 . Seems that several people here are into polluting this board with some political and social commentary. You want in on this yet or are we going to have to wait until basketball is being played to read some of your genius takes?
Well, if it's not the butt-hurt bigot stalking me again.

Well, if it's not the butt-hurt bigot stalking me again.

Get comfortable.

UntimelyKnobbyDuckbillplatypus-size_restricted.gif

I would love to go fishing with D! My only requirement is a cooler full of a certain adult beverage!

I have the vaunted Gobbler on ignore so I was unaware of his need. Please have him refer to the multiple attempts to enlighten others, but to put it simply...

I'm African-American because that is what I want to be! Great thing about being both american and human is....I have the right to control my own identity, much like those who for some unknown reason think they should be the authority over MY identity!

God blessed me with everlasting life
Parents gave me DNA and love
Ghanaian Heritage shaped me
Cherokee Nation guided me as well
America/African-Americans influenced my culture

Unless your name is on this list, you have NO say as to how I identify! BUT you certainly can be a partner as we try to build the world Jesus wanted us to build!

Jesus' description of love is exactly what we need right now:

It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends”

God Bless the Tar Heel Family and this great country!

Thanks, TPF! In this day and age, love of our fellow is sure needed.

It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends”

I'm African-American because that is what I want to be! Great thing about being both american and human is....I have the right to control my own identity, much like those who for some unknown reason think they should be the authority over MY identity!

Does this rule apply to everyone? Do all of us get to identify however we want?

Howard law school is as good as Duke, and NC&T engineering program is every bit as good as NCSU.
There are some fine HBCU’s but that’s a gross exaggeration. The USA News & World Report ranks NCSU as the 24th best engineering program in the country, NCA&T is ranked 152nd. Many students accepted into A&T’s program wouldn’t be at State.

TBS, any young man, of any color, who feels a HBCU is the best fit for him should follow his conscience and go there. But don’t kids and parents usually make their college choice based on what they think is best for them anyway?

Just for clarity sake I must say that that ranking college programs uses several subjective criteria and does not really gauge the quality of the education of said university. I think there is a place for comfort and acceptance in this equation that might make an HBCU "better" for individuals!

For example:

"U.S. News uses multiple measures to capture the various dimensions of academic quality at each college. They fall into eight broad areas: graduation and retention; graduation rate performance; social mobility; faculty resources; expert opinion; financial resources; student excellence; and alumni giving."

All of the bolded sections are subjective and can be skewed by systemic racism and the intrinsic beliefs (biases) of the person providing the information. For example, puke has billions of dollars in its endowment and alumni that give tens of millions a year. Does this mean its students receive a better education? It doesn't, but it certainly shows they may get a leg up with puke on their degree.

Reactions: heelmanwilm
"U.S. News uses multiple measures to capture the various dimensions of academic quality at each college. They fall into eight broad areas: graduation and retention; graduation rate performance; social mobility; faculty resources; expert opinion; financial resources; student excellence; and alumni giving."

All of the bolded sections are subjective and can be skewed by systemic racism and the intrinsic beliefs (biases) of the person providing the information. .

491968b42ac7800bd310b8db08e166d1.gif

There are some fine HBCU’s but that’s a gross exaggeration. The USA News & World Report ranks NCSU as the 24th best engineering program in the country, NCA&T is ranked 152nd. Many students accepted into A&T’s program wouldn’t be at State.

TBS, any young man, of any color, who feels a HBCU is the best fit for him should follow his conscience and go there. But don’t kids and parents usually make their college choice based on what they think is best for them anyway?

Umm. Kind of was a side note to kids picking very fine College and University, and was this a side article on the USA today website. I would try to look through it, but who needs the ads.

Just for clarity sake I must say that that ranking college programs uses several subjective criteria and does not really gauge the quality of the education of said university. I think there is a place for comfort and acceptance in this equation that might make an HBCU "better" for individuals!

For example:

All of the bolded sections are subjective and can be skewed by systemic racism and the intrinsic beliefs (biases) of the person providing the information. For example, puke has billions of dollars in its endowment and alumni that give tens of millions a year. Does this mean its students receive a better education? It doesn't, but it certainly shows they may get a leg up with puke on their degree.
I'd venture to guess that the main criteria used to rank colleges is $$$$$.

Reactions: TPFKAPFS
I started to just lock this...but in this climate I realize any discussion of sports is going to involve some political discourse, however, we can do without the personal attacks and name calling.

I hope posters will remember where they are and do their best to limit Radar to UNC basketball. OOTB is there for a reason and is the place for political discussions. Please try to refrain from letting threads on Radar tumble into the quagmire of politics. If they do they will be either locked or moved.

Thanks or your continued support of this site and it's forums.--- Jim
You kidding me this one was tooooo good.

I would love to go fishing with D! My only requirement is a cooler full of a certain adult beverage!

I have the vaunted Gobbler on ignore so I was unaware of his need. Please have him refer to the multiple attempts to enlighten others, but to put it simply...

God blessed me with everlasting life
Parents gave me DNA and love
Ghanaian Heritage shaped me
Cherokee Nation guided me as well
America/African-Americans influenced my culture

Unless your name is on this list, you have NO say as to how I identify! BUT you certainly can be a partner as we try to build the world Jesus wanted us to build!

TP, buddy, Beer when out fishin is like American Express, Never leave home without it!

Interesting that only a couple of those have much to do with the quality of education.

I was surprised to notice that same thing! I guess it is difficult to compare universities objectively and the idea of "quality" may have just as much to do with the individual as it does with the U!

Just for kicks I went back to see what this thread was actually about and it turns out this isn't derailed, lol!

As a Tar Heel, I'm happy when elite peeps go to HBCUs because that means they didn't go to one of our rivals! BUT mostly I love it when peeps support them since they often lack the funding of majority Universities!

Cool thing to do, but let's be real. As long as this guy stays on his current track no way he will see a college.

Only reason for these high prospects go to college is for exposure, which generates a bigger endorsement deal the minute the college season ends. Unfortunately HBCU's are along ways off from that. Carolina could get all three and four star recruits and still be better than every HBCU team in the country.

HBCU have do just like all small colleges, they get very late bloomers, project players, or undersized players.

If Mickey Williams goes to a HBCU unfortunately he will not receive any better competition than his current high school.

If African American players decide to go to a HBCU, then they need to recruit four of there friends to do the same and create a fab 5 scenario. That would grab the attention of the rest of country.

LMAO.... theres a white guy on this thread who insists that America doesn't have a racial injustice/inequality problem. As if that wasn't enough.. the poster makes a half assed attempt to point blame at other issues as the real problem(s)...

Let's just chalk this up as a stalemate, because nothing anyone can type will: (1) sway ignorance or (2) erase white privilege.

Reactions: superstar57
LMAO.... theres a white guy on this thread who insists that America doesn't have a racial injustice/inequality problem. As if that wasn't enough.. the poster makes a half assed attempt to point blame at other issues as the real problem(s)...

Let's just chalk this up as a stalemate, because nothing anyone can type will: (1) sway ignorance or (2) erase white privilege.
Lol

So there is a white guy that has a different perspective and rather than try to understand his perspective the thing to do is to not only dismiss his point of view but label him as a loon worthy of public shaming? There is the problem, it is the inability to even consider an opinion that differs from your own as in any way worthy of understanding. If you are going to treat people that simply disagree with you as the enemy without even as much as trying to understand their perspective then you become part of the problem and none of the solution.

Other than "expert opinion," what do you think doesn't have to do with the quality of education?
Might be easier to say what is. If by "quality of education" we mean how well those schools actually educate their students, faculty resources sounds important.

The graduation measures sound important but they don't really tell you if the kids got a good education.

The money measures also sound important but, again, we have no clue how the money is translated into good teaching, good classrooms, good labs, etc.

OTOH, if schools have little money and don't help kids stay in school, that limits the quality of education available. So these measures aren't worthless. But surely there are better measures of actual educational quality?

Some people would say that the point of college is to get a good job. I disagree but, interestingly enough, that isn't one of the measures listed.

Some people would say that the point of college is to get a good job. I disagree but, interestingly enough, that isn't one of the measures listed.

Then what is the point of college? To become a more well-rounded individual? The cost of college no longer affords this luxury. If I’m spending $150k on a college education, it damn sure better pay off.

So there is a white guy that has a different perspective and rather than try to understand his perspective the thing to do is to not only dismiss his point of view but label him as a loon worthy of public shaming? There is the problem, it is the inability to even consider an opinion that differs from your own as in any way worthy of understanding. If you are going to treat people that simply disagree with you as the enemy without even as much as trying to understand their perspective then you become part of the problem and none of the solution.

In this case the guy(s) shouting racist the loudest is the true racist.

Keep on whining....you seem to have it down to a science(LMMFAO) and as far as a stalemate , well when Gary decides to engage with something other than insults , then we might could determine a verdict.

Last edited:
Don't you see he's just following the formula , the agenda. You make outrageous claims and then claim the other guy is the problem and then just dismiss the data..

Threads like these really show what a good job Mike did keeping this crap confined to OOTB.

R.I.P. good sir.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT