ADVERTISEMENT

National Championship Game Thread

TarHeelNation11

Hall of Famer
Mar 9, 2007
Lowell, NC
I can't friggin wait for this game, so I'm starting the thread a day early. I know some of you will say it's boring because it's the rematch from last season, but I really think this game has incredible storylines.

Story lines:
- The Rematch, and all that that entails
- D. Watson's one last chance to bring home glory
- Dabo going up against his alma mater again
- the Bama dynasty looks to add yet another NC to its trophy case
- true freshman QB starting for Bama with a brand-new offensive coordinator who hasn't called a game yet
- Bama's historically good defense going up against a potent Clemson offense
- both defense's suffocating DLines look to feast on the opposing QB
- excellent battle of RBs on both sides.
- NFL talent up and down both rosters
- # of Alabama defensive players who get their butthole fingered.

Man, I'm so pumped. I think it's gonna be a game for the ages. And of course...

Roll Tide Roll!
\
UA_logo_2_400x400.jpg

8cd05a4f36df411c07da691a50037a2b.jpg

Last edited:
Go clemson. Last years game was awesome, and If I remember correctly, didnt clemson have some injuries to some key guys? Anyways I think clem wins it, 40-37.
I would be monumentally shocked if either team scored that many points. Bama's defense is too good and Clemson's is no slouch.

Only key injury I recall for Clemson in last year's game was no Mike Williams (WR). But he was out all season so I don't know if you can consider that missing a key player

I would be monumentally shocked if either team scored that many points. Bama's defense is too good and Clemson's is no slouch.

I guess I was just basing it on last years game. If I remember Most were expecting a much lower scoring game and it ended up being up and down all night. But you are probably right, the defenses have been great.

Reactions: TarHeelNation11
According to the first mock draft that popped up on Google (CBS, Rob Rang), EIGHT first round picks will be featured in this game. Six for Bama, two for Clemson. That makes it a must-watch for NFL fans.

Reactions: Butterbutt44
Will the OC situation at Alabama have a big impact?
Honestly, no one knows. The Alabama folks are swearing up and down that it will be a seamless transition. But you have to remember, Sarkisian hasn't physically talked to these players at practices (or at least, by rule, he isn't allowed to) because he's one of those gray-area program advisers. He's not one of the coaches on staff (I forget the number, it's like 10?) that gets to be present at practices. He can sit with Kiffin during meetings and what not, but that's it.

So who knows. I will say that calling offense is easier than calling defense, in terms of coming in "cold." Plus, Bama's offense isn't the most complex out there. I expect a lot of early runs with Scarbrough.

We shall see though. I think that's a big question mark coming into this game. That has to be an unprecedented move... a coach replacing his offensive coordinator a week before the national title game.

While I respect what Bama has done, I for one, am sick of seeing them win it all the damn time. As much as it disgusts me to pull for Clemson, I guess I will.
There's only two reasons I'll be pissed if Clemson wins:

1. Their recruiting dominance over us will continue even more so.
2. I'll lose a healthy sum of money.

Other than that, I'd be fine with Clemson winning. I love Dabo and love the program he runs. Clemson is the benchmark all other ACC programs are trying to emulate... and I don't just mean Ws/Ls, I also mean stadium atmosphere and fan support.

Indeed there was a lot written before last years game about Bama having one of the best defenses ever and Clem put up 40 on them. And shaq lawson was limited with injuries and Mackenzie ALexander had to leave the game early, those were the injuries I must have been thinking of.

Indeed there was a lot written before last years game about Bama having one of the best defenses ever and Clem put up 40 on them. And shaq lawson was limited with injuries and Mackenzie ALexander had to leave the game early, those were the injuries I must have been thinking of.
Gotcha. Good stuff. I think Bama took Clemson's offense for granted last season. The Tigers came out gunning, and Alabama never quite caught up.

This year's Bama defense is even better. I know a lot of people would hate it, but I'd love to see like a 17-13 defensive struggle.

Honestly, no one knows. The Alabama folks are swearing up and down that it will be a seamless transition. But you have to remember, Sarkisian hasn't physically talked to these players at practices (or at least, by rule, he isn't allowed to) because he's one of those gray-area program advisers. He's not one of the coaches on staff (I forget the number, it's like 10?) that gets to be present at practices. He can sit with Kiffin during meetings and what not, but that's it.

So who knows. I will say that calling offense is easier than calling defense, in terms of coming in "cold." Plus, Bama's offense isn't the most complex out there. I expect a lot of early runs with Scarbrough.

We shall see though. I think that's a big question mark coming into this game. That has to be an unprecedented move... a coach replacing his offensive coordinator a week before the national title game.

Wow interesting. I wasnt aware he wasnt allowed to talk to the players at all. In that case youd have to think it would have an impact. I just assumed he was there the whole time and knew the inner workings of the offense etc.

According to the first mock draft that popped up on Google (CBS, Rob Rang), EIGHT first round picks will be featured in this game. Six for Bama, two for Clemson. That makes it a must-watch for NFL fans.
Honestly I'm not sure I'll even take the time to watch despite the fact that I'm a big NFL fan. I just don't care for either team and certainly don't have the passion for CFB that you do THN.

Wow interesting. I wasnt aware he wasnt allowed to talk to the players at all. In that case youd have to think it would have an impact. I just assumed he was there the whole time and knew the inner workings of the offense etc.
Well, he probably knows the inner workings somewhat because he's allowed to talk with the coaches all he wants. But yeah, he can't be there at practice with the players. The new trend in college football is to have these "program advisers" who can do all they want behind the scenes but can't contribute at practice or games. There's a cap on how many official coaches you can hire, but as of now, there's no cap on how many of these advisers you can have. I think Bama has like....a lot lol.

But yeah, knowing how the offense works is a lot different than actually calling the plays

Honestly I'm not sure I'll even take the time to watch despite the fact that I'm a big NFL fan. I just don't care for either team and certainly don't have the passion for CFB that you do THN.
That hurts me a bit, but I'll let it slide haha. I think you should at least tune in for a bit to see the passion in the stands. They're playing it in the Bucs stadium, which only holds about 65,000 people. With these two huge fanbases, they will fill that place to the absolute rafters. Should be an excellent show of colors with two seas of crimson and orange.

Reactions: Heels Noir
Well, he probably knows the inner workings somewhat because he's allowed to talk with the coaches all he wants. But yeah, he can't be there at practice with the players. The new trend in college football is to have these "program advisers" who can do all they want behind the scenes but can't contribute at practice or games. There's a cap on how many official coaches you can hire, but as of now, there's no cap on how many of these advisers you can have. I think Bama has like....a lot lol.

But yeah, knowing how the offense works is a lot different than actually calling the plays

Damn thats crazy. I thought he was just the assistant offensive coordinator and would be able to just slide right in and take over seamlessly. Wow ballsy move by saban to do this a week before the championship then.

Damn thats crazy. I thought he was just the assistant offensive coordinator and would be able to just slide right in and take over seamlessly. Wow ballsy move by saban to do this a week before the championship then.
Extremely ballsy. He'll ride or die with the decision. That's why he gets paid the mega bucks and is the best of the best.

It's so impressive to me how Saban demands perfection. They routed Washington in that semifinal... absolutely destroyed them, but the offensive execution was simply not good enough, in Saban's opinion. He felt Kiffin's head was already in Boca Raton so he ousted him. How many other coaches have the guts to do that?? That's wild. We shall see if the gamble pays off.

Damn, I wish it kicked off right now haha.

@Butterbutt44 and anyone else who cares:

Here's a good article describing the new trend of non-coaching assistants and what they can and can't do. They start describing the restrictions just below the first picture.

And then, here's a good article describing just how monumental of a decision it was for Saban to oust his OC just days before the natty. It would be a big deal for any program, but it's especially big for Alabama because it's exactly the type of distraction Saban steadfastly works to avoid. I feel a bit dirty linking a Dan Wolken article, but it's a good article and unusually free of his snark.

Reactions: Butterbutt44
That hurts me a bit, but I'll let it slide haha. I think you should at least tune in for a bit to see the passion in the stands. They're playing it in the Bucs stadium, which only holds about 65,000 people. With these two huge fanbases, they will fill that place to the absolute rafters. Should be an excellent show of colors with two seas of crimson and orange.
I admire your passion my man. I'll probably watch the beginning but we'll see. But I equate it to movies... I love a good movie but it's highly unlike for me to spend time watching a movie with an actor I don't like or am just generally sick of (e.g. Tom Cruise).

I admire your passion my man. I'll probably watch the beginning but we'll see. But I equate it to movies... I love a good movie but it's highly unlike for me to spend time watching a movie with an actor I don't like or am just generally sick of (e.g. Tom Cruise).
I feel you. I definitely understand the oversaturation of Alabama in some people's eyes. I'd watch this game as a neutral for sure, but it does help for me that both teams provide direct ties for me.

Clemson -- recruits the same players Carolina recruits, so we are always kinda linked with the Tigers and their success.

Alabama -- they've been my adopted second team for three years because my younger brother goes to Alabama. Plus I just respect the heck out of their dynasty.

@Butterbutt44 and anyone else who cares:

Here's a good article describing the new trend of non-coaching assistants and what they can and can't do. They start describing the restrictions just below the first picture.

And then, here's a good article describing just how monumental of a decision it was for Saban to oust his OC just days before the natty. It would be a big deal for any program, but it's especially big for Alabama because it's exactly the type of distraction Saban steadfastly works to avoid. I feel a bit dirty linking a Dan Wolken article, but it's a good article and unusually free of his snark.

Interesting. The stuff w Kiffin must have been way worse than what they pretended. Especially with a freshman QB its a big risk it seems. Only thing I hope is that if Clemson wins Alabama doesnt use it as an excuse, because obviously Saban feels like this is the best option.

I'll catch the end - I have hockey on Monday nights so I'll miss the first half or so.

I think any fans of ACC teams, and anyone who wants to keep up the illusion of parity in college football, should be rooting for the Tigers. Clemson moneyline seems like great value - the media overhype for Bama seems to have seeped into the Vegas lines.

My sweetness has me wearing his orange shirt today for good luck so Go TIGERS!!!!!!!! They've got it this year! I've been blinded by orange and the snow this weekend y'all lol

BTW, if we really wanna talk key injuries and such, Alabama lost their All-American safety and beast punt returner Eddie Jackson in the A&M game.

but they got like eight other 5 stars to back him up, so not sure it really hurts them... o_O
Below is Alabama's projected starting lineup for tonight. I've placed their Rivals H.S. star value next to their name:

DE Jonathan Allen 5*****
NG Da'Ron Payne 5*****
DE Dalvin Tomlinson 4****
"JACK" Tim Williams 4****
SLB Ryan Anderson 4****
MLB Rashaan Evans 5*****
WLB Reuben Foster 5*****
SS Minkah Fitzpatrick 5*****
FS Ronnie Harrison (ouch) 4****
CB Marlon Humphrey 5*****
CB Anthony Averett 3***

BTW, Da'Shawn Hand, a SSDE and the #1 player in the country in the Class of 2014 recruiting cycle, is just not earning significant minutes this season because he was behind so many good players lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT