ADVERTISEMENT

NC Weather (during climate change)

blazers

Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2001
I know it is insanely hot in places around the world, but does anyone else think weather overall has been pretty great in NC the last few yrs?

I know NC is hotter overall too, the yearly avg as a whole has been a little warmer and winter a tiny bit shorter, but the spring and fall season have been AMAZING weather-wise. And the kicker is that the number of 100 degree days in Raleigh hasn't been that many. It's hot, but we're not getting crushed like UK, Canada, western US, etc.

also lol
FX9bwfIXoAE_rl1

• Haha
Reactions: Heels Noir
Record high in Raleigh NC is 105 on 7 days, last time was 2012. Also was 105 in 1940 and 1952.

Was 104 couple of days in 1952 and a couple of days in 1954

Was 103 couple of days in 1932 and a couple of days in 1940.

I know it is insanely hot in places around the world, but does anyone else think weather overall has been pretty great in NC the last few yrs?

I know NC is hotter overall too, the yearly avg as a whole has been a little warmer and winter a tiny bit shorter, but the spring and fall season have been AMAZING weather-wise. And the kicker is that the number of 100 degree days in Raleigh hasn't been that many. It's hot, but we're not getting crushed like UK, Canada, western US, etc.

Do you live in Raleigh?

If so, the weather is the least of your problems.

the hammer is probably coming in August, thanks for the jinx. August could be a loooong month, and September might be more like what August used to be

• Wow
Reactions: blazers
i’m too busy watching swells off tahiti and hawaii.

i get your point, however.
I see the point also if you're referring to the Simpsons little dialogue.

What I want to know is how you are viewing swells off Tahiti and Hawaii.

I admire your optimistic outlook on the weather/climate, but I don't share it. We're getting more violent, but short-lived, storms that knock down trees but don't last long enough to give the ground a good soaking. The heat/humidity has been horrible. Fall and Spring have their good days but it seems like we only get 5-7 of them in each 90 day season. Winter has been somewhat milder, but a lot of us, myself included, like to have one good snow and that's been pretty hit-and-miss in the foothills in the last several years. Even the mountains aren't always getting their typical snowfall.

I guess my measuring stick is how I can remember biking to the tennis courts in the 80s and playing tennis for several hours without taking water bottles. I'd have a heat stroke if I did that today and I don't think it's simply a matter of lower heat tolerance. I think it's just hotter and more humid, to the point of being unbearable.

The "worst" part is that NC is a great state and despite all of my complaints, I can't think of many that I'd consider moving to in search of a better climate and weather.

I admire your optimistic outlook on the weather/climate, but I don't share it. We're getting more violent, but short-lived, storms that knock down trees but don't last long enough to give the ground a good soaking. The heat/humidity has been horrible. Fall and Spring have their good days but it seems like we only get 5-7 of them in each 90 day season. Winter has been somewhat milder, but a lot of us, myself included, like to have one good snow and that's been pretty hit-and-miss in the foothills in the last several years. Even the mountains aren't always getting their typical snowfall.

I guess my measuring stick is how I can remember biking to the tennis courts in the 80s and playing tennis for several hours without taking water bottles. I'd have a heat stroke if I did that today and I don't think it's simply a matter of lower heat tolerance. I think it's just hotter and more humid, to the point of being unbearable.

The "worst" part is that NC is a great state and despite all of my complaints, I can't think of many that I'd consider moving to in search of a better climate and weather.
I'm bearish overall, and the odd winters and storms you mention are unfortunate. I think Raleigh (nc) is lucky that extremes aren't too extreme (yet) compared to some other places.

Be glad you don't live in some of the western states where people contemplate where their water supply
might be coming from in he very near future. Several of America's largest reservoirs are at critical levels due to
severe and lengthy droughts, ultra-excessive heat and extreme summertime temperature anomalies.
Easterners have it made in the shade by comparison.

We all romanticize things from our youth. But the reality is that very, very little has changed. It was just as hot when you were a kid playing tennis as it is today. But you were a kid and the fun you had outweighed the pain of the heat. And the snowstorm you went sleigh riding in as a kid wasn’t much different than the one that happened last winter despite you remembering it as “the great blizzard of 84”.

Be glad you don't live in some of the western states where people contemplate where their water supply
might be coming from in he very near future. Several of America's largest reservoirs are at critical levels due to
severe and lengthy droughts, ultra-excessive heat and extreme summertime temperature anomalies.
Easterners have it made in the shade by comparison.
Agreed and nobody has even mentioned the fires out west.

Never fear.. Biden is near.

Average high in Raleigh in the 1950's was 71.2 degrees.

-Wake county population was 185,000

Average high in Raleigh in the 2010's was 72.2 degrees.

-Wake county population in 2019 was a little over a million.

So in roughly 70 years the average temp increased ONE degree while the population exploded.
Solution is not electric cars,.it's more abortions.

So @blazers living in cow country explains why he/she/it avoids UNC sports topics. Too ashamed of NC State I guess

It’s been mild here on the coast this summer compared to previous ones. This is the first week consistently in the 90’s. Lots of rain too.

Please don’t tag him. OOTB is a woad free zone and most of us would like to keep it that way.
I wasn't paying attention apparently when that particular engagement took place on the board, but I'd argue that the "worst" are the basketball only's.

I wasn't paying attention apparently when that particular engagement took place on the board, but I'd argue that the "worst" are the basketball only's.

Yep.. never forget the time I was out and about, late 90's and a guy saw me wearing a UNC hat, he commented about the basketball team should be good. I agreed but said I actually follow the football team more closely. The guy then said he was a UNC basketball fan but a FSU football fan. I said well I guess you also root for the Yankees and walked off.

Average high in Raleigh in the 1950's was 71.2 degrees.

-Wake county population was 185,000

Average high in Raleigh in the 2010's was 72.2 degrees.

-Wake county population in 2019 was a little over a million.

So in roughly 70 years the average temp increased ONE degree while the population exploded.
Solution is not electric cars,.it's more abortions.
What's funny is you're too f-ing stupid to realize 1 degree, in the grand scheme of earth temperature, is a huge deal.

The little ice age, which basically ruined European farming in the 1600s, was a shift of less than that on average.

Don't believe me? Here's NASA telling you that you're a moron:

Nature's gonna nature!

We can't stop it!

These cycles have happened since creation!

I do love the effort of people flying all over the world in their jets telling us to not fly, drive gas powered cars, or just travel in general! Sounds like the politicians telling us to all stay home, and wear mask while they do as they please with no mask or restrictions.

Do as we say not as we do!

I really don't know what to make of alleged "climate change". Sure, I believe it can impact us and fundamentally change or end life as we know. I get that and it's clear that the earth has cycled through things in the past. But, the idea that it's something we have any impact on or, more importantly, the ability to alter is my biggest issue. There's just too many agendas and $$$ at stake for me to believe anyone on either side. One small blip from the nuclear reactor we all depend on known as the Sun changes everything anyone asserts and we can't do a damn thing about it.

The "experts" can't even tell us why it's 6 versus 7 or 25 feet that we are supposed to distance to not pass an airborne virus. How can I trust them to tell me something so much more complicated? Sorry to be cynical, I just thought we were all supposed to be goners by now. The sliding calendar doesn't inspire confidence in the premise.

What's funny is you're too f-ing stupid to realize 1 degree, in the grand scheme of earth temperature, is a huge deal.

The little ice age, which basically ruined European farming in the 1600s, was a shift of less than that on average.

Don't believe me? Here's NASA telling you that you're a moron:

This is the type of thing that I am talking about in terms of the complexity. I accept fully the notion that even slight temp changes can fundamentally alter things. But this was "European farming in the 1600s". Was that before or after the industrial revolution and human usage of fossil fuels impacting things so significantly? I'm out of my depth on this and I just don't trust what we get told based on the complete manipulation of other topics.

I really don't know what to make of alleged "climate change". Sure, I believe it can impact us and fundamentally change or end life as we know. I get that and it's clear that the earth has cycled through things in the past. But, the idea that it's something we have any impact on or, more importantly, the ability to alter is my biggest issue. There's just too many agendas and $$$ at stake for me to believe anyone on either side. One small blip from the nuclear reactor we all depend on known as the Sun changes everything anyone asserts and we can't do a damn thing about it.

The "experts" can't even tell us why it's 6 versus 7 or 25 feet that we are supposed to distance to not pass an airborne virus. How can I trust them to tell me something so much more complicated? Sorry to be cynical, I just thought we were all supposed to be goners by now. The sliding calendar doesn't inspire confidence in the premise.

here I break with my conservative friends in a big way.

That the climate goes through regular cycles of warming and cooling has nothing to do with what is taking place at this time, and previous cycles have not taken place, for one thing, with billions of humans on the planet, most of them living in structures crowded on to coastlines around the world. Previous cycles for the most part took place over extended periods of time and nature adjusted accordingly. The rate of change at this time is not so slow as to allow such similar adjustments.

I am not about to say I know exactly what is happening and what should or should not be done about it as if I did know. But the idea that we are contributing to the current warming makes perfect sense, and what is frustrating to me is that we don't seem to have the common sense required to err on the safe side, if we are in fact erring. The smart thing to me is to assume that we are.

I've opined many times before that the things we need to do to be on the safe side of global warming will be only moderately inconvenient but will make the planet a better place to live. And by a better place to live I don't mean never being able to walk half a mile with out seeing a @#$%& windmill farm. There are better, more intelligent ways if we can overcome childish, irrational fears.

Technology has advanced to the point that if unleashed and supported earnestly, problems of our own making can be solved as well as many not of our own making. Instead we quibble and rationalize. We don't understand that we are only somewhat more intelliugent animals, and we just assume that our intelligence is so supreme that problems will simply disappear in the face of it. It doesn't work that way. We finally get in gear when we are forced to get in gear. We get in gear when the damage has been done. Sometimes I think I can't wait for the machines to take over.

Our planet seems too big to many of us to believe that we might actually have an impact on what happens to it. That is nothing less than crazy. Humans have been on the planet for less than a geologic blink of the eye. We are living on a precarious, tiny piece of dust in the cosmic scheme of things, whose natural systems, developed over billions of years, we should be treating with kid gloves and praying that we don't fvck it all up by taking it for granted.

But we do take it for granted because we are too complacent in our lives.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT