ADVERTISEMENT

NC Weather (during climate change)

here I break with my conservative friends in a big way.

That the climate goes through regular cycles of warming and cooling has nothing to do with what is taking place at this time, and previous cycles have not taken place, for one thing, with billions of humans on the planet, most of them living in structures crowded on to coastlines around the world. Previous cycles for the most part took place over extended periods of time and nature adjusted accordingly. The rate of change at this time is not so slow as to allow such similar adjustments.

I am not about to say I know exactly what is happening and what should or should not be done about it as if I did know. But the idea that we are contributing to the current warming makes perfect sense, and what is frustrating to me is that we don't seem to have the common sense required to err on the safe side, if we are in fact erring. The smart thing to me is to assume that we are.

I've opined many times before that the things we need to do to be on the safe side of global warming will be only moderately inconvenient but will make the planet a better place to live. And by a better place to live I don't mean never being able to walk half a mile with out seeing a @#$%& windmill farm. There are better, more intelligent ways if we can overcome childish, irrational fears.

Technology has advanced to the point that if unleashed and supported earnestly, problems of our own making can be solved as well as many not of our own making. Instead we quibble and rationalize. We don't understand that we are only somewhat more intelliugent animals, and we just assume that our intelligence is so supreme that problems will simply disappear in the face of it. It doesn't work that way. We finally get in gear when we are forced to get in gear. We get in gear when the damage has been done. Sometimes I think I can't wait for the machines to take over.

Our planet seems too big to many of us to believe that we might actually have an impact on what happens to it. That is nothing less than crazy. Humans have been on the planet for less than a geologic blink of the eye. We are living on a precarious, tiny piece of dust in the cosmic scheme of things, whose natural systems, developed over billions of years, we should be treating with kid gloves and praying that we don't fvck it all up by taking it for granted.

But we do take it for granted because we are too complacent in our lives.

solid

i have two friends that work for the usgs and they shake their head at the rebuttal from some that say atmospheric temperature isn’t an issue…”coldest winter ever” is even more idiotic…it’s not really about winters in knoxville

what’s happening in greenland, tahiti, and hawaii right now is a major problem.

if you’re looking for oceanfront property, buy 1st row.

summertime was hot as balls when i was kid and it's hot as balls now. things havent changed, i'm just way softer.

That the climate goes through regular cycles of warming and cooling has nothing to do with what is taking place at this time, and previous cycles have not taken place, for one thing, with billions of humans on the planet, most of them living in structures crowded on to coastlines around the world. Previous cycles for the most part took place over extended periods of time and nature adjusted accordingly. The rate of change at this time is not so slow as to allow such similar adjustments.

I am not about to say I know exactly what is happening and what should or should not be done about it as if I did know. But the idea that we are contributing to the current warming makes perfect sense, and what is frustrating to me is that we don't seem to have the common sense required to err on the safe side, if we are in fact erring. The smart thing to me is to assume that we are.

I've opined many times before that the things we need to do to be on the safe side of global warming will be only moderately inconvenient but will make the planet a better place to live. And by a better place to live I don't mean never being able to walk half a mile with out seeing a @#$%& windmill farm. There are better, more intelligent ways if we can overcome childish, irrational fears.

Technology has advanced to the point that if unleashed and supported earnestly, problems of our own making can be solved as well as many not of our own making. Instead we quibble and rationalize. We don't understand that we are only somewhat more intelliugent animals, and we just assume that our intelligence is so supreme that problems will simply disappear in the face of it. It doesn't work that way. We finally get in gear when we are forced to get in gear. We get in gear when the damage has been done. Sometimes I think I can't wait for the machines to take over.

Our planet seems too big to many of us to believe that we might actually have an impact on what happens to it. That is nothing less than crazy. Humans have been on the planet for less than a geologic blink of the eye. We are living on a precarious, tiny piece of dust in the cosmic scheme of things, whose natural systems, developed over billions of years, we should be treating with kid gloves and praying that we don't fvck it all up by taking it for granted.

That's a reasonable poast. I agree with much of it. Yes, of course, 8 billion people living on a planet is going to impact the climate. I get that. The thing is though...I don't care that much. Hardly at all to be honest.

I don't litter. I don't burn styrofoam. I try to recycle. That's about the extent of the effort I'm agreeing to put in. I'm not in any way for anything tax payer funded. If the private sector wants to innovate, by all means, knock yourselves out. There will be a market. And as time goes on, the market will grow. The transition to renewables should be very slow and organic. To rush or force it will cause far more problems than it solves. Let's acknowledge that oil and gas are the lifeblood of our economy. When it suffers, the economy suffers. When the economy suffers, the American people suffer.

If we could go back to the beginning and not be so reliant on oil, it would have made a difference. But the toothpaste is out of the tube. There's no putting it back in. To squeeze the oil industry hurts us too much in other ways and I'm not ok with forsaking the financial safety and security of today for a potentially better (not even sure what that looks like) tomorrow. I'll let the people of tomorrow worry about that. And when I say tomorrow, I mean 500 years from now.

Reactions: bleeduncblue
solid

i have two friends that work for the usgs and they shake their head at the rebuttal from some that say atmospheric temperature isn’t an issue…”coldest winter ever” is even more idiotic…it’s not really about winters in knoxville

what’s happening in greenland, tahiti, and hawaii right now is a major problem.

if you’re looking for oceanfront property, buy 1st row.
This is kinda my point in a nutshell and it also addresses something I have noted in these pages before. These problems aren't as simply as a yes or no. They are not tribal and we can't just take them and stick a response into a box with a D or an R on it. Our brains like to fit things into simply choices, but this isn't one of those topics.

Atmospheric temps are absolutely an issue. My challenge or concern is the basis for why they are changing from the "norm" and the assumption that our bucket can change the entire ocean. And that doesn't even account for the notion that we can't uniformly alter even our own human bucket. Why would we voluntarily ruin our entire economy and way of life when the other main contributors to that bucket have no willingness to make those changes as well? And none of that gets into the actual solutions that are yet to be used or identified. These are not R or D, conservative or liberal issues that are to be labeled accordingly.

That's a reasonable poast. I agree with much of it. Yes, of course, 8 billion people living on a planet is going to impact the climate. I get that. The thing is though...I don't care that much. Hardly at all to be honest.

I don't litter. I don't burn styrofoam. I try to recycle. That's about the extent of the effort I'm agreeing to put in. I'm not in any way for anything tax payer funded. If the private sector wants to innovate, by all means, knock yourselves out. There will be a market. And as time goes on, the market will grow. The transition to renewables should be very slow and organic. To rush or force it will cause far more problems than it solves. Let's acknowledge that oil and gas are the lifeblood of our economy. When it suffers, the economy suffers. When the economy suffers, the American people suffer.

If we could go back to the beginning and not be so reliant on oil, it would have made a difference. But the toothpaste is out of the tube. There's no putting it back in. To squeeze the oil industry hurts us too much in other ways and I'm not ok with forsaking the financial safety and security of today for a potentially better (not even sure what that looks like) tomorrow. I'll let the people of tomorrow worry about that. And when I say tomorrow, I mean 500 years from now.
starting at the bottom...if we had implemented sane and sound measures to get off the petrotit way back when we were slapped in the face with the need to do so, we would by now be comfortably on our way to relying on much more benefiicial sources of energy. I also don't agree with idiots like Biden stepping in and saying 'OK now I'm in charge and here's what's gonna happen'. But you have to start somewhere. And volunteerism only works when the inconvenience is at mere annoyance levels or less. The government has to start making rules.

That being said, I don't see us getting completely free of oil, and there's no dire need to be. We just need to replace dependence on it with more reasonable alternatives where it is practical. It's past time to stop heeding the cry of your good ol' boy idiot who says I ain't giving up my hemi just cause I love to hear them pipes when I floor it. But fighter jets, for example, will likely only be served adequately with whatever form of kerosene they currently use. So be it, we need fighter jets but we don't need goobers racing their engines just to hear the exhaust. If what you want is fast, electric is faster than gas. (don't take my use of those terms as disrespect to anyone. I consider myself a good ol' boy goober also)

The reason I mentioned the billions of people wasn't to point out their impact on the planet because that really shouldn't be a question, but rather it was to point out the impact on THEM, especially the masses living on the coasts. If the trend continues and shorelines encroach as some predict, we are going to have one hell of a mess.

On a personal level, I don't do much more than is required either. But I gladly would if we were all abiding by some reasonable regulation and implementation of technology that would have us getting used to different things. It amazes me how resistant people are to change just because it IS change.

starting at the bottom...if we had implemented sane and sound measures to get off the petrotit way back when we were slapped in the face with the need to do so, we would by now be comfortably on our way to relying on much more benefiicial sources of energy. I also don't agree with idiots like Biden stepping in and saying 'OK now I'm in charge and here's what's gonna happen'. But you have to start somewhere. And volunteerism only works when the inconvenience is at mere annoyance levels or less. The government has to start making rules.

That being said, I don't see us getting completely free of oil, and there's no dire need to be. We just need to replace dependence on it with more reasonable alternatives where it is practical. It's past time to stop heeding the cry of your good ol' boy idiot who says I ain't giving up my hemi just cause I love to hear them pipes when I floor it. But fighter jets, for example, will likely only be served adequately with whatever form of kerosene they currently use. So be it, we need fighter jets but we don't need goobers racing their engines just to hear the exhaust. If what you want is fast, electric is faster than gas. (don't take my use of those terms as disrespect to anyone. I consider myself a good ol' boy goober also)

The reason I mentioned the billions of people wasn't to point out their impact on the planet because that really shouldn't be a question, but rather it was to point out the impact on THEM, especially the masses living on the coasts. If the trend continues and shorelines encroach as some predict, we are going to have one hell of a mess.

On a personal level, I don't do much more than is required either. But I gladly would if we were all abiding by some reasonable regulation and implementation of technology that would have us getting used to different things. It amazes me how resistant people are to change just because it IS change.
No question that we could be doing huge percentages more with electric, but that's not an answer without production and/or storage. The actual source of the electricity and the ability to produce it 24/7/365 never seems to be a concern to the screamers out there. I really think some people believe that it just comes out of a cord you plug into the wall or they believe that wind/solar is the answer without their own challenges.

They are not tribal and we can't just take them and stick a response into a box with a D or an R on it. Our brains like to fit things into simply choices, but this isn't one of those topics.

These are not R or D, conservative or liberal issues that are to be labeled accordingly.

I'm glad you are saying this. Repubs have been denying climate in media, in policy and agenda for decades. 30 yrs ago Al Gore showed us the ice cores in "Inconvenient Truth" and one party has been accepting the science while another STILL seems to deny it.

First, i think Rs need to stop denying the the fact that man-made conditions are increasing the rate of change in climate and that this rate of change is likely to have devastating effects on our planet. Over the past 30 yrs the number of deniers with any scientific knowledge has shrunk to like 1%. I think this is step one, with the obvious follow-up being whether anything can actually be done.

I’m just curious because I tuned out the climate hysteria years ago,….but what do the alarmists say will happen in 20 years? 50 years? 100 years? I guess I should get caught up on the latest scare.

• Haha

100%. Rate of change is the prob. I think it will take a technological miracle to fix this one.

Reactions: bluetoe
I’m just curious because I tuned out the climate hysteria years ago,….but what do the alarmists say will happen in 20 years? 50 years? 100 years? I guess I should get caught up on the latest scare.
-Greenhouse effect has been proven.
-Concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere over the last century+ is nearly impossible to refute.
-Rapid temp increases cannot be refuted. - rate of change is the prob

The relationship of atmospheric carbon causing temperature increase was first theorized in 1896 and is now playing out.

The rate of change is especially problematic because of the positive feedback loops leading to more and more heat.
-Icecaps and glaciers melting means less reflectivity of the sun, meaning more absorption of heat thus hotter temps. Hotter temps means even more melting...
-CO2 is trapped in permafrost. Permafrost is melting due to heat, this melting releases more C02 which increases the greenhouse effect making things hotter which just melts even more permafrost...
-Water vapor is actually part of the greenhouse gas bucket and higher global temps more more water vapor in the atmosphere - loop continues. Luckily cloud cover helps mitigate a tad on this one.

So we've gotten a little hotter in an unnaturally short period of time, but we're on track to just continue getting even hotter at a rate which will be devastating to bugs, animals, corral reefs, farmable land, drinkable water = all things humans have needed so far. Oh and weather itself will yield more disasters, sea level impact on coastal areas will be a humanitarian disaster. Natural environs will die off unnaturally fast.

Last edited:
-Greenhouse effect has been proven.
-Concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere over the last century+ is nearly impossible to refute.
-Rapid temp increases cannot be refuted. - rate of change is the prob

The relationship of atmospheric carbon causing temperature increase was first theorized in 1896 and is now playing out.

The rate of change is especially problematic because of the positive feedback loops leading to more and more heat.
-Icecaps and glaciers melting means less reflectivity of the sun, meaning more absorption of heat thus hotter temps. Hotter temps means even more melting...
-CO2 is trapped in permafrost. Permafrost is melting due to heat, this melting releases more C02 which increases the greenhouse effect making things hotter which just melts even more permafrost...
-Water vapor is actually part of the greenhouse gas bucket and higher global temps more more water vapor in the atmosphere - loop continues. Luckily cloud cover helps mitigate a tad on this one.

So we've gotten a little hotter in an unnaturally short period of time, but we're on track to just continue getting even hotter at a rate which will be devastating to bugs, animals, corral reefs, farmable land, drinkable water = all things humans have needed so far. Oh and weather itself will yield more disasters, sea level impact on coastal areas will be a humanitarian disaster.

Can I have a timeline? I’m going to need to see one before I can muster any f*ck to potentially give.

Thanks.

• Haha
No question that we could be doing huge percentages more with electric, but that's not an answer without production and/or storage. The actual source of the electricity and the ability to produce it 24/7/365 never seems to be a concern to the screamers out there. I really think some people believe that it just comes out of a cord you plug into the wall or they believe that wind/solar is the answer without their own challenges.
that's the main reason I mentioned irrational fears getting in the way. Nuclear power, for example, can have catastrophic failures as has been amply shown. But even considering the several accidents that demonstrate the possibilities, nuclear power is extremely safe and has killed or injured a vanishingly small fraction of what fossil fuel generated power has. And practical? Electric commuter vehicles that charge overnight when power production would normally slack off is an ideal solution to the problem of building power plants for peak demand while only selling average power on a daily basis. There are a gazillion practical applications in this area alone that are held up because certain people think a glowing green monster is hiding in their closet.

We need less people who can't accept the fact that no one escapes death.

Can I have a timeline? I’m going to need to see one before I can muster any f*ck to potentially give.

Thanks.
Anywhere from 20 to 1000.

Corral is dying, habitats are dying and there is lots of uncertainty about the effect of these dominos since this type of thing hasn't happened on this planet.

Tell your kids you wanna fvck around and find out.

Corral is dying, habitats are dying and there is lots of uncertainty about the effect of these dominos since this type of thing hasn't happened on this planet.

Tell your kids you wanna fvck around and find out.
I'm more worried about nuclear war anywhere between 20 and a 1000 years before climate change!

Could you be more specific? Because I'll admit, I'm pretty frugal when it comes to giving f*cks. And if it's closer to the 1000 figure, I'm definitely not breaking any off. I may even start burning styrofoam for fun. But if you're serious about that 20 year figure, I might be able to be convinced to give up one or two. Let me know.

Could you be more specific? Because I'll admit, I'm pretty frugal when it comes to giving f*cks. And if it's closer to the 1000 figure, I'm definitely not breaking any off. I may even start burning styrofoam for fun. But if you're serious about that 20 year figure, I might be able to be convinced to give up one or two. Let me know.

Here's the problem with the those numbers. These are supposed to be experts, scientists, the brightest of the brightest, and there window it's a 1000 years wide. Now in the scope of how ever long the existence of the world is that's a small window. But they are telling us we can stop it but they!

Also remember in the 70's they told us bad things were coming in 20 years, in the 80's, the same thing and so on and so forth!

Stuff like this is made political for votes, they all know there is a potential vote out there that will hinge on this one topic.

Remember these are the some of the same experts that can't, seem to tell you what a woman is , but will turn right around and tell you a man can turn into a woman.

Follow the science, remember them statements?

Pardon me if I don't hinge on every word out of thier mouths!

Also ironic the group that will tell you let's save the world for our kids and the next generation has no issue with mass murder of the next generation through abortion.

Humans need to be extinct. They've absolutely worn out their welcome.
Funny you say that as I've maintained for quite sometime that many of the world's "problems" are really an issue of resource allocation. Too many humans strain a finite amount of resources. Now, I won't say extinction is the answer, but a few less of us would certainly improve many of the complaints. Like many things, easy concept but difficult implementation.

Last edited:
Humans need to be extinct. They've absolutely worn out their welcome.
the problem with humans is that they are smart enough to dominate the planet but not smart enough to not shit where they have to step in it.

We are capable of amazing things but we negate the advantage by overestimating ourselves and being complacent. We need some humility. God just might decide to give us a good shot of that.

Funny you say that as I've maintained for quite sometime that many of the world's "problems" are really an issue of resource allocation. Too many humans strains a finite amount of resources. Now, I won't say extinction is the answer, but a few less of us would certainly improve many of the complaints. Like many things, easy concept but difficult implementation.
We have an abundance of resources. The earth is almost an infinite source of resources, for lack of better term. Human beings choose to be selfish and greedy, and fatalistic. Not to mention the damage that we do to the planet itself.

the problem with humans is that they are smart enough to dominate the planet but not smart enough to not shit where they have to step in it.

We are capable of amazing things but we negate the advantage by overestimating ourselves and being complacent. We need some humility. God just might decide to give us a good shot of that.
I agree 100%. Shocking!

Funny you say that as I've maintained for quite sometime that many of the world's "problems" are really an issue of resource allocation. Too many humans strains a finite amount of resources. Now, I won't say extinction is the answer, but a few less of us would certainly improve many of the complaints. Like many things, easy concept but difficult implementation.
fewer of us would relieve the strain for sure but that doesn't solve the problem. We need more people interested in and capable of seeing the bigger picture.

I detest the one world concept where we all live under one set of rules devised by a global government. However, we really do need an effective one-world mastery of our global resources. I think most people are dimly aware at best of how much damage we have done and more importantly, are continuing to do. I will fight any attempt to create the one world order, but if there was an effective U.N. kind of thing geared toward protecting our planet and its resources, I'd be the first on board.

We tend to only react when problems are kicking our ass, when a little common sense management would head off most problems.

Pandemics cull the herd. Apparently, it was time for one. I'm in agreement with most here that we could use another 2-3 pandemics and get the planet's population down to something manageable.

I agree 100%. Shocking!
I don't disagree with everything you say either. I am simpatico with many of your music suggestions. Seriously though, I'm sure there are lots of things we see eye to eye on. This is one that I happen to feel very strongly about and I don't mind your agreement at all.

We have an abundance of resources. The earth is almost an infinite source of resources, for lack of better term. Human beings choose to be selfish and greedy, and fatalistic. Not to mention the damage that we do to the planet itself.

humans by their evolved nature tend to be that way, and denying our nature in trying to solve problems is self-defeating. The FIRST thing we need to do is to understand ourselves, and then learn to capitalize on our tendencies when that works for us and subdue them when they work against us.

Characterizing our inherent traits as evil or good makes no sense. They are what they are.

I don't disagree with everything you say either. I am simpatico with many of your music suggestions. Seriously though, I'm sure there are lots of things we see eye to eye on. This is one that I happen to feel very strongly about and I don't mind your agreement at all.

humans by their evolved nature tend to be that way, and denying our nature in trying to solve problems is self-defeating. The FIRST thing we need to do is to understand ourselves, and then learn to capitalize on our tendencies when that works for us and subdue them when they work against us.

Characterizing our inherent traits as evil or good makes no sense. They are what they are.
I agree with that. I definitely agree with the good or bad being subjective part. It's what serves you or works, versus what doesn't serve you or doesn't work.

Humans no longer trust one another enough to create a system that can sustain us.

I agree with that. I definitely agree with the good or bad being subjective part. It's what serves you or works, versus what doesn't serve you or doesn't work.

Humans no longer trust one another enough to create a system that can sustain us.

Oh stop being a victim.

I figure if you’re going to incorrectly use that word then so am I.

Funny you say that as I've maintained for quite sometime that many of the world's "problems" are really an issue of resource allocation. Too many humans strain a finite amount of resources. Now, I won't say extinction is the answer, but a few less of us would certainly improve many of the complaints. Like many things, easy concept but difficult implementation.
put another check in the pro-choice column

Reactions: blazers

humans not trusting one another is deeply entrenched in human behavior. Basically, it's a good thing. Don't trust others, but proceed anyway. Just make sure there are safeguards in place and keep your eyes open and hope for the best. We aren't in the jungle any more but we are still in a jungle.

I'm not sure we're quite on the same page here re: the bolded.. You seem to be talking about the actions that our nature has us taking. What you say is true, but I was thinking more about human nature itself. Like greed. Everyone thinks greed is some terrible thing, but it is what it is and is neither good nor bad...it just is. Greed is not a bad thing in and of itself, and how greed motivates us isn't bad either; UNLESS some moral or ethical line is crossed wherein someone's rights and well being is unethically trampled. So the problem isn't really greed, it's an unwillingness to accept and live by the unspoken common sense pact that if you don't fvck with me, I won't fvck with you. THAT is the problem that needs to be dealt with.

But greed is a good thing as it is the engine and the motivator behind what has made all our lives better all around. Greed is what you think the other guy is guilty of while you insist you are not at all greedy, unmindful of the fact that there are others who think of you as greedy as well. We are all greedy in our way. It's just a matter of perspective as you say. So harness greed for the good, just unleash the hell out of it...but rebuff those who go over the line for the sake of it. Whatever, just don't for God's sake keep thinking of it as some evil juju that has crept into our souls.

As civilized and 'progressive' as we are now supposed to be, I shake my head whenever I hear someone express that...because we still think just like Mungo the caveman. And as much as I've tried to avoid saying it, it's the 'progressives' who rage against our very own nature as if being human and having human thoughts and desires was a crime.

Reactions: Archer2
So the AMOC part of thermohaline circulation is getting hit by greenland icemelt. The salinity changes cause the ocean current "pump" to slow down. From what I read EU would get much colder and the tropics would get much hotter. Mid-latitudes would generally get drier while the globe would have harsh droughts in some places, extreme flooding in others. And hurricane season would get crazy.

Sounds like NC temps will be pleasant and dry. It is hot this week, but generally this climate change stuff hasn't been too bad on the ole north state.

Last edited:
My wife is visiting her aunt in Mexico on the Baja peninsula. They had a sand storm couple days ago. Imagine sand being whipped by hurricane force winds. Pure misery. Piles of sand everywhere, Loss of power and water and it’s hot as balls. The dog follows them around bug-eyed and panting like “fuking do something I’m dying here!” The cat dgaf.

R.04a90e960657db4527b3f87af2fbf5fd

just like last summer and the summer before that and the summer before that, hot as balls.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT